Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
36 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Healy declines debate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
thanks jennymayla

Posted on: 2009/4/23 5:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Well, at least you're consistent.

Here's to May 13!

Posted on: 2009/4/23 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
jennymayla, it's America baby....freedom of speech....even if i want to say it over and over and over again.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Who is his campaign manager?

Posted on: 2009/4/23 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Yep his campaign manager knows what he is doing. Healy surely can't debate on records with issues such as crime and taxes...He has failed on those issues.

You don't say!

PLEASE for the love of all things holy PLEASE PLEASE stop with your one-note message. It's like torture. It makes it nearly impossible to read any other posts. It's like this annoying little, I dunno...troll!...that just keeps popping up.

I swear that you have made your point and we all know how you feel about this issue and you have accomplished the mission you set forth for yourself.

Now you can stop.

Please JRL. PLEASE!

Posted on: 2009/4/22 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yep his campaign manager knows what he is doing. Healy surely can't debate on records with issues such as crime and taxes...He has failed on those issues.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Healy gains nothing by debating anyone. This election is his to lose. Engaging in a debate or any other type of intelligent discourse does not serve the man well. Have you ever actually heard Jerramiah Healy speak? He is much better served by distributing newsletters and producing commercials. Whoever his campaign manager is knows what he is doing.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 18:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/25 13:49
Group:
Registered Users
Healy declined another debate - this one on affordable housing.

All of the other candidates attended with an assitant of Healy reading from a prepared statement. What's the deal here? Must have been another anti-healy event. Any pro-Healy debates coming up where we can actually see and hear him speak?????

Posted on: 2009/4/22 16:28

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/16 15:46
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters
The April 2 Mayor Forum video can be viewed here:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... =&topic_id=16964&forum=11

Posted on: 2009/4/16 15:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
To my knowledge, only once have all five mayoral candidates appeared at the same event, at the Heights Coalition forum (like two weeks ago). Video was shot that night, by one or more folks, but I've yet to see any full or excerpted postings online.

GP is misguided in his apparent inference about CIVIC JC, a co-sponsor of the 4/23 mayoral forum. They remain a determinedly neutral, non-partisan, citywide non-profit, an advocacy group for policies, not people. While Dan Levin did found it (in '04?), he formally resigned from the board in August 2008, when announcing his candidacy. Valerio Luccio (sp?) is the longtime president of CIVIC JC, and a straight shooter. Ridiculously ramrod straight. Heck, he'll cross the street to avoid interacting with Mr. Levin, to avoid any conflicts of interests, or even the appearance.

As for the incumbent mayor, he would likely earn more respect (and votes) if he chose to participate in every forum and debate. The public deserves the fullest possible discussion and defense of Mr. Healy's administration. But an empty chair - again and again, debate after debate - is looking more and more like a metaphor.

Posted on: 2009/4/16 15:38

Re: Four candidates show up for Jersey City mayoral debate, but no mayor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if all 5 candidates were together for a televised debate and where it can be found?

Posted on: 2009/4/16 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCNewJersey wrote:
What is he afraid of.

Himself.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 12:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
What is he afraid of.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcindependent wrote:
Mayor Healy Declines Another Candidate Forum

This Wednesday, the Jersey Journal editors are putting on a mayoral forum at New Jersey City University that is to be videotaped and published on NJ.com, but only four of the five candidates will be there.

The campaign of Mayor Jerramiah Healy sent a letter earlier this week to the Journal saying it ?welcomes and supports a vigorous conversation,? but ?will give first priority to attending debates that are sponsored by respected, fair and unbiased organizations and that reach a broad audience.?

I'm not sure about Wednesday's debate but in all fairness the upcoming April 23rd debate is being hosted by Dan Levin's "Civic JC" group. So I really doubt Healy will attend that one either.

================================
Candidates for Jersey City Council schedule debates
Monday, April 13, 2009

Jersey City's City Council and mayoral candidates will be busy over the next couple of weeks in these forthcoming debates:

Tomorrow, the Riverview Neighborhood Association and The Heights Coalition have invited the 13 at-large council candidates to their monthly meeting at Harborview Health Center, 178 Ogden Ave., at 7:30 p.m.

On Thursday, the MLK Drive Merchants Association and The Game Face Group, a local business network, will host a forum for candidates from Ward F from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Mary McLeod Bethune Life Center at 154 Martin Luther King Dr.

Also on Thursday, the Heights Coalition will host a forum for candidates from Ward C and D at 7 p.m. at School 28, 167 Hancock Ave.

On April 23, the Downtown Coalition of Neighborhood Associations and Civic JC will host a mayoral debate from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Middle School 4, 70 Bright St.

A mayoral debate held at the Loew's Jersey Theatre on April 1 will continue to air periodically on Comcast channels 52 and 190.

JOURNAL STAFF

Posted on: 2009/4/13 11:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Healy Declines Another Candidate Forum

This Wednesday, the Jersey Journal editors are putting on a mayoral forum at New Jersey City University that is to be videotaped and published on NJ.com, but only four of the five candidates will be there.

The campaign of Mayor Jerramiah Healy sent a letter earlier this week to the Journal saying it ?welcomes and supports a vigorous conversation,? but ?will give first priority to attending debates that are sponsored by respected, fair and unbiased organizations and that reach a broad audience.?

More here.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 11:30

Four candidates show up for Jersey City mayoral debate, but no mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Four candidates show up for Jersey City mayoral debate, but no mayor

by Amy Sara Clark/The Jersey Journal
Wednesday April 01, 2009, 11:27 PM

Four of the five FIVE mayoral candidates in the upcoming Jersey City election, are seated at the first debate, which took place yesterday at the Loew's Jersey Theatre. From left, the candidates present were Dan Levin, Louis Manzo, L. Harvey Smith and Phillip G. Webb. Absent was Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Minus Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, four candidates gunning for the city's top elected post squared off today at the Loew's Jersey Theatre in Journal Square.

Hosted by local TV host Pat O'Melia, the four contestants -- Phillip G. Webb, L. Harvey Smith, Louis Manzo and Daniel Levin -- fielded questions from The Jersey Journal's Agustin Torres, Earl Morgan, and Ricardo Kaulessar of the Jersey City Reporter.

Check out The Jersey Journal's photo gallery and video from the event.

The candidates agreed on most topics: Tax abatements are bad, community policing good, eminent domain best avoided, and jobs should be given out based on merit.

Levin presented himself as an agent of change to the 30 or so persons who attended the event in the cavernous theater.

"It is now the time to change local politics, and if I'm elected, I will," he said.

A former assemblyman running for mayor for the fifth time, Manzo said he's the anti-Healy.
"If you feel you are living in a safer city. If you feel you have tax stability and if you feel your quality of life has been improved, then by all means it's up to you to support (Healy)," Manzo said. "If, like me, you feel that you have been shortchanged and that we will do better, then I hope you will look at my record."

An assemblyman, and former City Council president, acting mayor of Jersey City and acting state senator, Smith appropriately stressed experience.

"You need someone with a proven history," he said. "I think that my background ... speaks for itself."

One subject that elicited differences was same-sex marriage.

Manzo and Smith said that if the state Legislature okayed same-sex marriages they would "support the law."

Webb, who is studying to become a minister, said that "as a Christian ... I do not stand in support of same-sex marriages, but I would not stand in opposition to the law."
Levin embraced the concept.

"If the law were to change, I would certainly be racing to be the first mayor in New Jersey to perform a same-sex marriage," he said.

Healy's campaign said the mayor declined to attend the debate because he was giving "first priority to attending debates that are sponsored by respected, fair and unbiased organizations, and that reach a broad audience."

Today's debate will be televised multiple times in coming weeks on local cable channels 190 and 51 on Comcast.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Chakotay wrote:
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has declined an invitation to participate in a major televised mayoral debate.
Local political commentator Pat O?Melia, who organized the event and scheduled it for April 1, said that Healy Campaign Manager Bud Demellier wrote him a letter declining the debate invitation because ?the Mayor will give first priority to attending debates that are sponsored by respected, fair and unbiased organizations that reach a broad audience.?

http://www.politickernj.com/matt-frie ... ersey-city-mayoral-debate

You mean, he won't participate in a debate thats run, sponsored and supported by his Cronies?????

What a joke!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 13:47

Re: Political Insider by Augie Torres
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:

Team Healy sent a fax to debate host Pat O'Melia in which it is noted that the mayor intends to participate "in a large number of debates." The key sentence is as follows: "However, the Mayor will give first priority to attending debates that are sponsored by respected, fair and unbiased organizations and that reach a broad audience."

It was "signed" by Bud Demellier, campaign manager for Healy. By the time stamp, I'm sure Bud was on his coffee break at his county post when he sent the fax, unless he took a leave of absence for the campaign.

A Fax!! Our President can't be separated from his blackberry and our mayor has just graduated from carving tablets - not to mention that his preference for old technology enables him to not have to be bothered by pesky responses...

Posted on: 2009/3/30 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:

From pat's website:

"Top 10 reasons Healys wont be at the Loews
Wednesday at 1PM

1.1PM?!? Thats early.
2.The Political Insider
3.Eyes don't clear up till 3pm
4.It's not safe on Journal Square!
5.1PM? Thats happy hour at the Astor bar
6.Loews? i hate that place!
7.No open bar
8.Cameras,cameras,cameras!
9.Pink elephants not allowed in theatre
10.Buddy works till 5pm. "

How objective is that? Petulant? yes. Objective? hardly

11. It would cost him the election

Posted on: 2009/3/29 8:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
I checked out the patsshows website and found that there are a variety of different political figures being interviewed and expressing their opinions.To name a few I saw a Freeholder forum and a site for Tom DeGise the County executive.I also saw a site with information being presented by law enforcement officials.
Check out the site there is some good information,interviews and presentations on it.
I see that the top 10 reasons for not going to the debate were listed in another post here and taken from the website.This was taken from the Election HQ page.There was another issue that was cited above the top 10 reasons at point #2 in a separate list.If you go to the site and click on election HQ you will see this additional list.
Point #2 says home owners taxes hiked approximately 40 % in Healy's 4 years.I have not figured out the precise amount but is anyone here disagreeing with that figure?Comments of disagreement or agreement as to what is posted on that Election HQ page are welcome.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 6:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Have the debate at the Astor Bar. Mayor Healy will almost certainly attend.......

Posted on: 2009/3/29 3:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Charon wrote:
Quote:

johnspat wrote:
Can anybody enlighten as to why this is not an unbiased debate? Not trying to be snarky, just trying to understand.

The Healy people will tell you that Augie Torres and Pat O'Melia, the moderators, are anti Healy.

From pat's website:

"Top 10 reasons Healys wont be at the Loews
Wednesday at 1PM

1.1PM?!? Thats early.
2.The Political Insider
3.Eyes don't clear up till 3pm
4.It's not safe on Journal Square!
5.1PM? Thats happy hour at the Astor bar
6.Loews? i hate that place!
7.No open bar
8.Cameras,cameras,cameras!
9.Pink elephants not allowed in theatre
10.Buddy works till 5pm. "

How objective is that? Petulant? yes. Objective? hardly

Posted on: 2009/3/28 17:47

Political Insider by Augie Torres
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Healy passes on invite to Loew's mayoral debate
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Political Insider by Augie Torres

Sorry folks, but Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has decided to skip the mayoral debate on April Fool's Day at the Loew's Jersey Theater at 1 p.m. No kidding!

Team Healy sent a fax to debate host Pat O'Melia in which it is noted that the mayor intends to participate "in a large number of debates." The key sentence is as follows: "However, the Mayor will give first priority to attending debates that are sponsored by respected, fair and unbiased organizations and that reach a broad audience."

It was "signed" by Bud Demellier, campaign manager for Healy. By the time stamp, I'm sure Bud was on his coffee break at his county post when he sent the fax, unless he took a leave of absence for the campaign.

Fellow Journal columnist Earl Morgan - who along with yours truly and Ricardo Kaulessar of a Hudson weekly will moderate the debate - said he is convinced that Healy means me. Hey, I'm no Simon Cowell. We're not asking the mayor to sing.

O'Melia responded to Demellier noting that the event will be cablecast in the future by Comcast and covered by two newspapers which should solve his concern of reaching the widest audience possible. He also notes that the debate will follow guidelines used in previous debates at the Loew's in 2004 and 2005, when Healy participated.

He wrote: "If there's a change of heart (that's if he has the heart), we'll save a place at the dais with his name on it."

Good, because I have questions for that empty chair.

'I GOT A FRIEND IN YOU'

Meanwhile, Insider sources said "Healy the Democrat," as he is being promoted in the municipal nonpartisan election campaign, will be aided by "Michael the Republican," as in Mayor Bloomberg of New York City. In the middle of next month, Bloomberg is expected to host a private fundraising event for the Jersey City mayor in the Big Apple honcho's Manhattan home.

The two mayors have appeared together with other office holders in efforts to promote anti-gun legislation. Expect a great deal of promotion to come out of the Healy camp for this event. It is the type of news that gives Downtown resident voters goosebumps. If they vote for Healy, they may actually think they are casting a ballot in a New York City borough and helping out Bloomberg.

It is expected that the event will attract enough Bloomberg deep-pocket pals to raise about six-figures. This is money sorely needed considering the hundreds of thousands of dollars Healy the Democrat has already spent in this campaign.

What is the real cost of the fund-raiser? Bloomberg doesn't need money. What he needs is influence and loyalty.

Would the price for Healy come when decisions need to be made involving the PATH, including rate hikes, Port Authority appointments and development involving New York companies interested in moving to the Gold Coast?

It appears Bloomberg may have more than just a friend in Healy and City Hall.

ECHO: 'DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?'

Former Hudson County Sheriff Joseph Cassidy filed a show cause order yesterday in state Superior Court in Jersey City against City Clerk Robert Byrne and Healy, in a bid to knock the mayor off the ballot.

The Sheriff argues that the mayor's 2007 conviction for resisting arrest and interfering with police officers in Bradley Beach should make him ineligible to submit petitions of candidacy adding that the election process would be harmed should Healy win.

The drawing for ballot position for the city election was scheduled for Monday but now it might be an optimistic date.

Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis has called Cassidy's legal maneuvering baseless adding that the courts have already ruled on the matter.

What a Monmouth County Superior Court judge ruled was that former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, who brought the original action, has no standing in the case. Cassidy is convinced that as a candidate in the election, he does have standing - as in a leg. The ex-sheriff is also on the Manzo slate.

What the Healy Camp does not want is for any testimony to be heard. This whole thing has to be nipped right at the start.

THE NEW WARD B 'INCUMBENT'

Ward B Councilwoman Mary Spinello is named to take over the Parking Authority directorship on Wednesday. What a surprise - not.

Ever since Spinello voted for the AMB cube warehouse, a Healy pet project, her days as an elected official were numbered. She voted contrary to the wishes of her constituents who do not want a business that attracts more trucks to their neighborhood. Was the Parking Authority a reward for taking a bullet for the mayor?

At least removing the councilwoman from her Jersey City Incinerator Authority job and putting her in a new $98,000 a year post also solves the sticky dilemma of mutual dislike between Spinello and JCIA CEO Oren K. Dabney.

Now say hello to the new Ward B City Council member, Philip J. Kenny, right-hand man of Freeholder Bill O'Dea. Healy's Ward B candidate, Kenny is expected to be appointed to the post by the City Council soon enough to refer to him in the May election as the incumbent.

Besides Kenny, other ward candidates are attorney Paul Catsandonis, running on the ticket headed by Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith, Arthur "Artie" Williams, who is on the slate topped by former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, and independents Douglas Salters and Mike Manzo - no relationship.

It was Catsandonis who, while visiting The Jersey Journal, sarcastically described Kenny as a good "event planner."

One political wag said the next event Kenny is planning is his inauguration.

PERILS OF POL'S PLUNGING POLLS

Earlier this month, this column suggested that state Democrats are edging toward a possibility of replacing Gov. Jon Corzine as his poll numbers continued to dip like a Wall Street investment chart.

While legislative sources say state Senate President Richard Codey, D-Essex, is expected to get a challenge from Majority Leader Steve Sweeney, D-Gloucester, it is Codey who is at the top of a short list by Dems to replace Corzine, should it be necessary.

The dominoes could continue to fall. State sources say they expect Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts, D-Camden, to call it a day next year and his replacement will be an interesting exercise.

Despite being considered by some as a lightweight out of the 13th District, if Assembly Majority Leader Bonnie Watson Coleman, D-Ewing, doesn't get the nod by the Democrats to run for lieutenant governor, she is then probably a lock for speaker.

The Lt. Gov. spot will more than likely go to a minority candidate. Another 13th District possibility is Assemblywoman Shirley Turner of Trenton. There are other potential second banana candidates, even a dark horse possibility, Rep. Ruben Ramos of the 33rd District and Hoboken.

I'm sure every part of Jersey will have their own inside short list.

Yes, U.S. Rep. Albio Sires was once on a Corzine short-list of five, about a month or so ago. I thought I'd wait until Sires was one of the final three candidates because I can't see him giving up the congressional seat just yet to return to do what he once did as Assembly Speaker - such as playing golf. Only kidding Albio.

?2009 Jersey Journal
? 2009 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

http://www.nj.com/columns/jjournal/in ... 23822160032220.xml&coll=3

Posted on: 2009/3/28 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"The debate will be taped and broadcast on Comcast Channel 190". Not getting Channel 190, I don't really consider that "televised".

Check out Pat's website (http://www.patsshows.com/) - the side menu has a link "Manzo for Jersey City" which takes you to a page that says:

Just checked the site out. You're right. At first when I read your post I thought maybe it was a paid ad banner, but no. I don't blame Healy now.

I get channel 190, but my question is, do people with a more basic cable package get channel 1, which seems to be all JC related videos? I don't expect it to be on a major network, but it should be more accessible to the general public.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 14:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
"The debate will be taped and broadcast on Comcast Channel 190". Not getting Channel 190, I don't really consider that "televised".

Check out Pat's website (http://www.patsshows.com/) - the side menu has a link "Manzo for Jersey City" which takes you to a page that says:

"Louis M. Manzo has spent his entire life in Jersey City and his entire career working to make our area a better place to live, work and raise a family.
It's been Lou's personal mission to touch the daily lives of the public he serves. Accordingly, the door to his advocacy office is always open to anyone in need of assistance.

Check out his web site at manzo4jerseycity.com"

That's as fair and balanced as Fox News.

Whatever you think of Healy, no politician is going to walk into a setup like that.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if their are any polls and what they are saying?
An incumbent is usually ahead, and has more to lose in a debate.
And if the moderators really are biased, I don't blame him that much for not participating. I don't know enough about them to judge.

That being said, as a voter, I feel entitled to some sort of televised debate. And my first reaction is that he is playing politics to get out of it, which makes me like him less.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe if you had an open bar for 2 hours before the debate he may rethink his invitation.

On a serious note. The man would have nothing to say. He is better off posting his signs everywhere rather than speaking

Posted on: 2009/3/28 12:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Healy is a chicken.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 11:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
If you go to that website listed in post one it is a interesting read.The article quotes Manzo as saying that none of the other debates are televised.
I would think that a major televised debate is not something a incumbent(Healy) would normally miss.
Hopefully things change and we get a opportunity to see all the candidates together on television.

Posted on: 2009/3/28 4:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy knows he will get eaten alive at a debate. He would be exposed for being a failure as Mayor of Jersey City. He keeps telling us about all the great change he has made...here is his chance to prove it in a debate.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 21:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017