Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fulop to face new challenge in Ward E
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/9 23:06
Group:
Registered Users
I attended the HPHNA meeting last Thursday to hear the positions of the candidates running for councilperson in Ward E. After sitting through the whole thing, I actually became concerned for our city should Councilman Fulop not be re-elected. He is the only candidate with the depth, breadth and intelligence to be our councilman. I immediately sent his campaign a check. I strongly urge anyone who will listen to do the same. Since it looks like Healy's a shoo-in for Mayor, we need someone like Fulop to keep him honest.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 20:13

Fulop Ward E pay-to-play lead reformer and open space Embankment supporter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
There has been much negotiation with Steve Hyman by many interested parties, including the Mayor and Conrail concerning the Embankment. Real Estate Developer Steve Hyman wants to build condos on the Embankment while the outspoken pro curbing pay-to-play leading councilman Fulop wants to preserve the open space. How else are they suppose to communicate? Telepathically?

Perhaps you are confusing Steve Hyman's Hand-In-Glove relationship with Ward C Councilman Steve Lipski.

Lipski Follows Conflict of Interest with Vote for Friend/Backer
http://www.bluejersey.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=93

http://www.kushandassociates.net/News.html

September 7, 2005
Kush vs. Lipski, part II
The Hudson Reporter, by Al Sullivan

How did the Sixth Street Embankment property in Jersey City get pulled off the city's list of places that should become a park?

That is a question in the ongoing battle between Councilman Steve Lipski and his former campaign consultant Steve Kush, a bitter feud that has become very personal.

Kush claims Steve Hyman, the developer proposing to build homes there, influenced Lipski into abandoning the park by backing Lipski's campaign for mayor last year.

Lipski said he has steadfastly abstained for any vote concerning the embankment and has consistently admitted his close ties to Hyman.

"He is a friend of mine," Lipski said. "I've never denied that."

Lipski also admitted that Hyman helped with his campaign for mayor, but said this did not affect his position as a city councilman in regard to the embankment project.

Residents of the area just north of Hamilton Park have mounted a campaign of their own to keep the former elevated rail line's designation as a park, and to deny Hyman assess to it as a site for development.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

I respect your opinions and I never attack someone for supporting their candidate of choice.... but considering Fulop's relationship with Steve Hyman, you may want to choose a better example. (sorry... I couldn't resist)
[...]

What exactly is "...Fulop's relationship with Steve Hyman..." and what, if anything, does that have to do with Steve's support of the preservation of open space relative to the Embankment?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 5:12
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/19 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
To Pinkowitz: Just what is Fulop's "special" relationship with Steve Hyman? I'm curious because I was at the Historiucal Commission's Embankment meeting a couple weeks ago and saw Hyman leave his front row seat to run up to Fulop at the rear of the chamber. They then went out into the hallway to have a little chat. What's up with that? I thought Hyman was the bad guy and Fulop was one of the good guys.

Posted on: 2009/3/26 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Please! What's that saying? "My Father warned me about nepotism when he got me into the business." Sorry, I don't want a Healy Ticket. I want a councilman who will challenge the mayor when he sees the need. Catrillo is Healy's boy and that's why he's running. Next thing you know we'll have a Chuck E' Cheese where the 6th. Street embankment was.

I respect your opinions and I never attack someone for supporting their candidate of choice.... but considering Fulop's relationship with Steve Hyman, you may want to choose a better example. (sorry... I couldn't resist)

Anyway~ I'm sad to hear Geoff Elkind was not running, he would have been one of the best independent councilpersons Ward E has seen in years.

I never said I was voting for Fulop. Definitely NOT Catrillo.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Please! What's that saying? "My Father warned me about nepotism when he got me into the business." Sorry, I don't want a Healy Ticket. I want a councilman who will challenge the mayor when he sees the need. Catrillo is Healy's boy and that's why he's running. Next thing you know we'll have a Chuck E' Cheese where the 6th. Street embankment was.

Anyway~ I'm sad to hear Geoff Elkind was not running, he would have been one of the best independent councilpersons Ward E has seen in years.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/3/22 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
From Politicker NJ:
He now works for Healy in the city planning department.

Something needs to be said on behalf of those who are City employees that was not elected, an appointee, or hired by a Mayor to serve in his/her office.

Guy Catrillo along with hundreds of others will continue working for the City of Jersey City no matter who the Mayor is. I too will probably go through 4 more Mayoral elections before I retire and I wish people would stop accusing EVERY city employee of being a cronies for an elected official. People need to know the difference between a civil servant and an appointee. The Mayor signs everyone's paycheck including Fulop, Althea, Catrillo and myself. I am not sure how many years Guy Catrillo has worked for the City of Jersey City and yes, he is running on Mayor Healy's ticket but in all my years, I cannot ever recall one person every saying on bad thing about Guy Catrillo?s job performance with the City of Jersey City.

I'm not saying you should or should not vote for Guy Catrillo, Just saying he is a hard working government employee and if he chooses to run in an election should have no bearing on his job within the planning department.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Downtown Guy Catrillo? No thanks. Saw him hanging with the mayor this week posing for photos and yet he says NOTHING. How many cousins or brother-in-laws or friends has he helped get jobs for in the JCPD or the JCFD? More old school patronage. NO THANKS. I think some of you trolls are starting to feel the heat around your house of cards.

From Politicker NJ:

A former Deputy Hudson County Superintendent of Elections, Catrillo sought the Republican nomination for State Senator in 2001, losing the District 31 primary to Martin McFadden by a 79%-21% margin. He now works for Healy in the city planning department.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 13:53

Downtown Ward E race- Talking Politics TV show
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/28 17:23
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Of the 4 Ward E candidates contacted, incumbent Steven Fulop was the only one to be interviewed for Talking Politics. This is the 2nd in a series of shows on the candidates in the JC municipal election. The election is Tuesday, May 12th.

You can watch the show streaming off the Talking Politics website or on NJ.com videos.

The show airs on Channel 51, Mondays at 9:30PM, Wednesdays at 8:30PM and Thursdays at 7:30PM.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:43
Check out Talking Politics --- See 31 shows on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/JCtalkingpolitics/videos.
The shows broadcast on Comcast's Channel 51, Mon @ 9:30pm and Wed @ 8:30pm

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jim399 wrote:
P.S. Think of it the other way. What is the worst thing that Fulop has ever done? Propose a wacky off-ramp for the Turnpike over 10th Street! Compared to his colleagues, he's benign.

It's not a city funded project. The NJ Turnpike Authority is paying for the ramp. The Land Rights were seized 20+ years ago. Fulop is making people aware of what's going on, and eliciting input from the public.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 17:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Does Councilman Fulop have any comment on the recent arrest of the director of Jersey City pensions,a Healy administration member?

I read a local newspaper account about how this Healy administration official was arrested for drunk driving involving an accident soon after a Healy fund raiser was ending.

The article mentioned "a familiar local government theme".This appeared in the Jersey Journal on
March 7,2009 by Agustin C. Torres.If I am not mistaken the theme the article speaks of IMO is the use of alcohol by some local Jersey City officials and problems that arise afterwards.

Thank goodness no one was hurt when the director of Jersey City pensions was involved in this accident.

As appearing in the article the accident was on Sixth street,it involved a Jersey City director and a arrest for drunk driving soon after a Healy fundraiser.To me this would seem to be a public issue.

This is Ward E right?

Councilman Fulop, I know in the past you have been inclined to comment publicly on different events including those involving Healy administration members.

How do you feel about this incident and in your opinion what do you think is meant by " a familiar local government theme"?

Are things like this if proven to be true a tarnish on Jersey City's image or is the tarnish only limited to the person involved?

I have respected your opinion in the past, thank you for any input you may have.

Does anyone else who is also a candidate for councilperson in Ward E have any comment?

Posted on: 2009/3/8 17:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/17 22:54
Group:
Registered Users
Steve Fulop has been a pretty good councilman. I'm one of his constituents, and like most constituents I only ever pay attention to JC politics when I want something done for myself or my street. On this low measure -- constituent service -- Fulop and his staff have been pretty good. They seem to understand that JC is ludicrously bureaucratic, and that city hall mostly stands in the way of progress rather than helping it along.

But this is irrelevent. The real reason to vote for Fulop is that he is the only real alternative to "Old Hudson County," as represented by Healy, Lipski et al. There are two demographic forces at work in JC and Hudson County right now:

1. Old Hudson County has its roots in the 40s and 50s, and sees city government as a patronage mill in which kickbacks, bureaucracy and self-dealing spread the wealth through connected communities. These people think that good government jobs are the way to go, and that On The Waterfront was the best movie ever made.

2. New Hudson County, which has its roots in the gentrification of JC. This group moved here more recently, bringing with it money and a taste for art. Yes, they have displaced poor renters in the downtown area. But at the same time they have "civilized" JC, in the sense that if you were here prior to the 1990s you'll remember that JC was essentially a free-fire zone for heroin addicts and corrupt cops.

Fulop is part of the New Hudson County. He seems to realize that making the city politically and financial transparent, ending conflicts of interest, and by encouraging new and more imaginitive forms of real estate and business development (ie LITM), is the way forward for JC. He's right. The function of the city is more than just filling potholes and adding cops to the payroll. It's about creating a vibrant arts scene, a small-scale retail scene, a hotbed for new business. Fulop seems to know that the future of JC means gradually easing out the Lipskis and Healys of the world in favor of people who just want honest government that won't get in their way when they want to set up a new business or refurbish a building.

He gets it. Vote for him.

P.S. Think of it the other way. What is the worst thing that Fulop has ever done? Propose a wacky off-ramp for the Turnpike over 10th Street! Compared to his colleagues, he's benign.

Posted on: 2009/3/8 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to see what the percentage of eligible voters who actually vote is outside of Downtown, I can't imagine it's that high. At the risk of sounding elitist, downtown supports the rest of this city by paying much more in total property taxes and businesses income and promoting more development. The fact is that without downtown, JC would be the dump that it used to be and mostly still is and would have absolutely no hope of becoming anything relevant. Everyone should stop complaining about development and embrace the revenue it brings to the city because without it, JC may as well be Newark or worse.
I'm still amazed at the neanderthal ways in which our local government operates. They are way, way, behind what the new residents of Downtown pay for and expect in the way of services ranging from graffiti removal and timely construction permits and emergency response time. I hope that it doesn't get so bad that it causes a mass exodus resulting in severe drop in real estate prices and ultimately the dreams of this city.

and +1 to the Max for Fulop he can and should rock this city

Posted on: 2009/2/26 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

KNOWITALL wrote:
I have been following this thread for a while, and think it's time to repsond. As Popeye would say, "I cants take it no more!". I have been a resident of J.C. for 14 years, and in Hudson County for twice as long. In my years following the political scene, I have not come across a more proactive councilperson/politician than Steve Fulop. I do not agree with every vote or every comment he makes, but he's a person who has the best interest of his city and ward at heart.

In theory, a councilperson is a part-time position. Someone forgot to tell Steve that. He's extremely active in the community, very generous with his time and support, and listens to his constituents. Several postings here refer to him as a carpetbagger and an elitist. I always thought a carpetbagger was a person who takes and doesn't give back. I wouldn't say that represents Steve Fulop's character. As for being an elitist, I wish he was more of one. I find he relates to all people regardless of education and financial success. He certainly doesn't judge a man by the size of their wallet.

Be that as it may, he does have his faults... as do all of us. He's often thin-skinned, who takes personally the ridiculous comments of posters on this list and disgruntled city employees. Regarding his latest beef with Lou Manzo, mayoral candidate Manzo took it upon himself to insult Fulop when he wouldn't support Manzo's 5th mayoral candidacy. I wish Steve did not feel a need to respond to Manzo's comments which show Manzo's frustration in beating the Healy machine.

Many of us were disappointed that Steve did not run for Mayor this year. With Healy's campaign war chest at over 2 million dollars, I'm sure he felt the time was not right. From what I can tell Healy asked over 6 people to run against Fulop in his reelection bid for councilperson. Healy and Fulop are not in bed together. Steve continues to criticize the mayor when he believes it's warranted.

I urge everyone in this ward to support Steve Fulop in his reelection. He is by far the best councilperson this ward has seen.

On another note, I urge all to support Dan Levin in his mayoral bid. Though Dan's attempts against the machine might be futile, he warrants our support. There is no such thing as a wasted vote! Even if it sets the seeds for the future, honest people like Dan need to be involved in politics and supported. If you are not registered to vote, please register now.

SUPPORT FULOP & LEVIN!!!
I only wish they got along better cause they seem to agree on what is important for Jersey City and it's future.
Thank you.

+1 except for the comments about Levin's mayoral bid possibly being "futile". Levin can win. Ultimately it comes down to one man, one vote and anything is possible especially when CHANGE is needed so badly. We can change the culture in City Hall. We can cast a ray of light in these dark times and bring Jersey City back as a diverse, progressive, forward thinking city. We can Shake It Up! Levin 09'.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 23:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
I have been following this thread for a while, and think it's time to repsond. As Popeye would say, "I cants take it no more!". I have been a resident of J.C. for 14 years, and in Hudson County for twice as long. In my years following the political scene, I have not come across a more proactive councilperson/politician than Steve Fulop. I do not agree with every vote or every comment he makes, but he's a person who has the best interest of his city and ward at heart.

In theory, a councilperson is a part-time position. Someone forgot to tell Steve that. He's extremely active in the community, very generous with his time and support, and listens to his constituents. Several postings here refer to him as a carpetbagger and an elitist. I always thought a carpetbagger was a person who takes and doesn't give back. I wouldn't say that represents Steve Fulop's character. As for being an elitist, I wish he was more of one. I find he relates to all people regardless of education and financial success. He certainly doesn't judge a man by the size of their wallet.

Be that as it may, he does have his faults... as do all of us. He's often thin-skinned, who takes personally the ridiculous comments of posters on this list and disgruntled city employees. Regarding his latest beef with Lou Manzo, mayoral candidate Manzo took it upon himself to insult Fulop when he wouldn't support Manzo's 5th mayoral candidacy. I wish Steve did not feel a need to respond to Manzo's comments which show Manzo's frustration in beating the Healy machine.

Many of us were disappointed that Steve did not run for Mayor this year. With Healy's campaign war chest at over 2 million dollars, I'm sure he felt the time was not right. From what I can tell Healy asked over 6 people to run against Fulop in his reelection bid for councilperson. Healy and Fulop are not in bed together. Steve continues to criticize the mayor when he believes it's warranted.

I urge everyone in this ward to support Steve Fulop in his reelection. He is by far the best councilperson this ward has seen.

On another note, I urge all to support Dan Levin in his mayoral bid. Though Dan's attempts against the machine might be futile, he warrants our support. There is no such thing as a wasted vote! Even if it sets the seeds for the future, honest people like Dan need to be involved in politics and supported. If you are not registered to vote, please register now.

SUPPORT FULOP & LEVIN!!!
I only wish they got along better cause they seem to agree on what is important for Jersey City and it's future.
Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Per the other point, sure you may read about some losing votes that I have had and it is frustrating for certain. However, if someone wants to make the argument that because I don?t vote for a waterfront tax abatement and lose 7-2 when the mayor is advocating for approval, or that I lose 8-1 when I believe we should be in a hiring freeze, or that the integrity of the arts district is important, well that is just beliefs I have that I won?t change for the sake of conforming so that I could have been on the winning side of a vote. Would it have been better if I went along with these votes so I can be on the winning end of a vote that I or many of our constituents don?t agree with? That?s just not what I believe.

This is EXACTLY why Fulop should be re-elected and why he should have gone for the Mayor's office.

To all those who complain about the 'machine', the back-door political BS and the overwhelmingly amateurish approach this city takes toward governance, you need to decide what Jersey City you really want.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I will stick with Fulop. At least one knows that his intentions are honorable. I can't say the same thing about Healy who IMO is worse than the stuff on the street.

He made promises during his campaign and ignored them once elected.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:It would be nice to have some specifics and please don't refer us to ELEC reports and "no need to go into details", because without those details it's just "he said she said".

Good point, I agree with the comment. Ross then follows up with...

Quote:

Ross_Ewage wrote:...the councilman's unwillingness or inability to work with his colleagues on the council has made downtown less powerful than it should be in local politics.

Tired old subjective criticism, not backed by facts. I take it the poster hasn't been following the City Council proceedings for several years. Would a "yes man" representing Ward E be preferable? Would that make downtown more "powerful"? If you believe that, Guy Catrillo may be the way to go.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Levitt...said his primary focus will be the environment.

"I think Jersey City has the potential to be an example to cities all around the world in terms of what's possible in terms of sustainability and the environment," he said.

"And I will become the Emperor of the Environment and the Sustainability Czar for Jersey City, and then the East Coast of America and eventually The World....... And then I'll run for mayor," said Levitt.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
As has already been mentioned:

The Jersey Journal article that started off this thread failed to mention Guy Catrillo...

=================================
Correction

Monday, February 16, 2009

Saturday's story about Ward E council candidates in Jersey City should have mentioned Guy Catrillo, who is running on a slate with Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy.
====================

Fulop to face new challenge in Ward E

Saturday, February 14, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Another candidate has thrown his hat in the ring for the Ward E seat on the Jersey City City Council.

Businessman Joshua Levitt yesterday officially announced his challenge to Councilman Steven Fulop in the May election. Like Fulop, Levitt will run as an independent.

Levitt is co-founder and CEO of UsedCisco.com, a Jersey City-based company that sells used network hardware equipment. He is also on the board of directors of the Grove Point Condominium Association and helped organize an umbrella group of condominium associations representing 11 buildings with more than 7,000 residents, he said.

"I'm heavily staked in the community so I'd like to have some influence on what goes on here," he said, adding that his experience forming the condominium association has shown him that managing community members is a strength of his that he would like to put to further use.

Levitt, who is 31 and moved to Jersey City 14 months ago from Hoboken, said his primary focus will be the environment.

"I think Jersey City has the potential to be an example to cities all around the world in terms of what's possible in terms of sustainability and the environment," he said.

Antonio Tony Torres, Jaime Vazquez and Frank Scalcione are also running for the Ward E seat.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Clearly the political season has started early and in the effort of not letting a misrepresentation of the facts continue I guess I?ll be responding when possible.. As a side note though, if anyone has sincere questions I am happy to answer.

To be perfectly clear, my plan this May is to run for re-election not on promises but on my record and performance. I am absolutely ready for that dialog whether here or in debates. The argument that is referenced ?I don?t play well with others and thus have made the ward weaker? is what I believe couldn?t be a further mischaracterization as it relates to the ward. When you look at the facts it is a difficult argument to make because in reality we have had more roads paved downtown than elsewhere in the city, we have had more park renovation/investment than any other part of the city, our council office has sponsored/written and passed more proactive quality of life legislation than any other council office, and we have strived as hard as we can to lift the level of constituent services to the level that I would hope would be in a private sector type environment with a responsive problem solving approach with the resources given. Of course, mistakes will be part of the dialog in the campaign but this particular argument I needed to clarify.

Per the other point, sure you may read about some losing votes that I have had and it is frustrating for certain. However, if someone wants to make the argument that because I don?t vote for a waterfront tax abatement and lose 7-2 when the mayor is advocating for approval, or that I lose 8-1 when I believe we should be in a hiring freeze, or that the integrity of the arts district is important, well that is just beliefs I have that I won?t change for the sake of conforming so that I could have been on the winning side of a vote. Would it have been better if I went along with these votes so I can be on the winning end of a vote that I or many of our constituents don?t agree with? That?s just not what I believe.

When I look back over the past four years I put countless hours into this job because I love it and I have been thankful that I was given the chance. I don?t think there is anything more I could have done with regards to effort or issues so this May I will stand for re election in front of most of you of which I will try and demonstrate the reasons why I can be trusted for another term. The campaign will be based on not only my goals for the future but importantly pointing out what I have done and hope to continue.

Sincerely,
Steven M. Fulop

Posted on: 2009/2/16 3:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

This has been my problem with you for close to 4 years. From your first entrance onto the local political scene, you have criticized and denounced others for their alliances, when you are guilty of the exact same thing. Even your ELEC reports reads the same as those you attack. .

We both are privee to the names of many of the upfront and behind the scenes players and their histories. Your last campaign introduced us to some that I never heard of until certain events happened?(no need to go into details).

Your silence on some major Ward E issues has become deafening, perhaps because of these alliances. If you had checked your ego at the door four years ago, and placed keeping your campaign promises to the voters ahead of promises to your alliances...

Pinky you have had a grudge against Fulop since you and JR got beat four years ago.Please tell us what Fulop has been so silent on.As for peeing on someones leg,you must be talking about Steve lipski.You wish no one the best of luck because your a bitter person who thinks she knows better than everyone else.

It would be nice to have some specifics and please don't refer us to ELEC reports and "no need to go into details", because without those details it's just "he said she said".

On the other hand, the councilman's unwillingness or inability to work with his colleagues on the council has made downtown less powerful than it should be in local politics.

Gathering signatures and threatening a referendum worked once, but it's no way to legislate effectively. Neither is being on the losing end of 8-1 and 7-2 votes but being able to say "I was right". Politics is about results, not (sadly) principles.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
obviously have hoped not to have them run against me but I cant control this and I dont discourage it of course. Josh in particular was a closer working relationship, who I knew of through mutual friends for sometime, was very involved in the BetterJC initiative, and was even part of a large group vacation I went on, so it is slightly different/more meaningful to me personally but I keep the same statement regardless on all candidates. As I said in the newspaper on Frank, Guy, Jamie, and Josh - generally speaking I know these people personally and say "more people the better as it creates a better dialog". Generally. like the JC Independent reported on Josh none of the candidates who have declared to this point are surprises because some have conveyed to me prior their intentions and all ofQuote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Headed for an early run and figured i would comment on this one. Firstly, thanks for the positive statements - i am extremely appreciative and it is encouraging. Over the last four years I sometimes wish that I kept a diary of happenings on the political front so I don't forget any of these lessons when I am out of politics although I think the last 2-3 months have been the largest learning experience for me on politics in general in Jersey City.

I would prob say 20 of the "volunteer/political friends" I had decided to leave our team and join one of the mayoral campaigns that they were opposed too within 24 hours of me saying that I wasn't running for mayor.... Many of them have their own personal agenda that they conveyed as their rationale after the fact that is beyond me nor would I have entertained requests had I declared that I was running for mayor. With that said, similar to Josh, I would suspect we will see 2-3 more council candidates based on conversations I have had with people who volunteered when they thought I was possibly running for mayor whom have told me in the past in meetings that they had interest in running for council - I would them I have known before they declared.

In reality, of course I would prob have the easiest time with the smallest field to run against but as I said in the Jersey Journal last month with regards to Healy, it is not my choice.

Hope all is well and info is helpful
Steve

Council member,

This has been my problem with you for close to 4 years. From your first entrance onto the local political scene, you have criticized and denounced others for their alliances, when you are guilty of the exact same thing. Even your ELEC reports reads the same as those you attack. Perhaps, at the beginning, people in downtown were willing to cut you some slack for being new to the game or wet around the ears, but in hindsight, with 3 1/2 years behind you, there are no excuses for your choice of alliances. It's a bit hard to swallow such excuses, when you continue to make the same bad judgment calls, and then ask us to believe that you have been "duped", "had" or victimized by these people. Please don't pee on my leg and then tell me it's raining. You're not that stupid, and neither are we.

We both are privee to the names of many of the upfront and behind the scenes players and their histories. Your last campaign introduced us to some that I never heard of until certain events happened?(no need to go into details). It sickens me that you still remain aligned or entangled with some of the worst of them to this day. I would be among the first to gladly tip my hat to you if you demonstrated true independence and kicked them all to the curb, but I'm not holding my breath.

You seem to be somewhat sincere and kudos to you for owning up to the fact that you may have been aligning yourself with people that had their own personal agendas, but it seems a bit late to have this sudden insight into the reality about Jersey City politics, as what you speak about above was self-inflicted.

Your silence on some major Ward E issues has become deafening, perhaps because of these alliances. If you had checked your ego at the door four years ago, and placed keeping your campaign promises to the voters ahead of promises to your alliances, you might have had a more productive and effective term in office when it came to those original promises. Although past performance is no predictor of future results, you've got alot of work ahead of your to turn things around.

I wish you the best of luck. It's never too late, unless you no longer want it...

Pinky you have had a grudge against Fulop since you and JR got beat four years ago.Please tell us what Fulop has been so silent on.As for peeing on someones leg,you must be talking about Steve lipski.You wish no one the best of luck because your a bitter person who thinks she knows better than everyone else.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Headed for an early run and figured i would comment on this one. Firstly, thanks for the positive statements - i am extremely appreciative and it is encouraging. Over the last four years I sometimes wish that I kept a diary of happenings on the political front so I don't forget any of these lessons when I am out of politics although I think the last 2-3 months have been the largest learning experience for me on politics in general in Jersey City.

I would prob say 20 of the "volunteer/political friends" I had decided to leave our team and join one of the mayoral campaigns that they were opposed too within 24 hours of me saying that I wasn't running for mayor.... Many of them have their own personal agenda that they conveyed as their rationale after the fact that is beyond me nor would I have entertained requests had I declared that I was running for mayor. With that said, similar to Josh, I would suspect we will see 2-3 more council candidates based on conversations I have had with people who volunteered when they thought I was possibly running for mayor whom have told me in the past in meetings that they had interest in running for council - I would obviously have hoped not to have them run against me but I cant control this and I dont discourage it of course. Josh in particular was a closer working relationship, who I knew of through mutual friends for sometime, was very involved in the BetterJC initiative, and was even part of a large group vacation I went on, so it is slightly different/more meaningful to me personally but I keep the same statement regardless on all candidates. As I said in the newspaper on Frank, Guy, Jamie, and Josh - generally speaking I know these people personally and say "more people the better as it creates a better dialog". Generally. like the JC Independent reported on Josh none of the candidates who have declared to this point are surprises because some have conveyed to me prior their intentions and all of them I have known before they declared.

In reality, of course I would prob have the easiest time with the smallest field to run against but as I said in the Jersey Journal last month with regards to Healy, it is not my choice.

Hope all is well and info is helpful
Steve

Council member,

This has been my problem with you for close to 4 years. From your first entrance onto the local political scene, you have criticized and denounced others for their alliances, when you are guilty of the exact same thing. Even your ELEC reports reads the same as those you attack. Perhaps, at the beginning, people in downtown were willing to cut you some slack for being new to the game or wet around the ears, but in hindsight, with 3 1/2 years behind you, there are no excuses for your choice of alliances. It's a bit hard to swallow such excuses, when you continue to make the same bad judgment calls, and then ask us to believe that you have been "duped", "had" or victimized by these people. Please don't pee on my leg and then tell me it's raining. You're not that stupid, and neither are we.

We both are privee to the names of many of the upfront and behind the scenes players and their histories. Your last campaign introduced us to some that I never heard of until certain events happened?(no need to go into details). It sickens me that you still remain aligned or entangled with some of the worst of them to this day. I would be among the first to gladly tip my hat to you if you demonstrated true independence and kicked them all to the curb, but I'm not holding my breath.

You seem to be somewhat sincere and kudos to you for owning up to the fact that you may have been aligning yourself with people that had their own personal agendas, but it seems a bit late to have this sudden insight into the reality about Jersey City politics, as what you speak about above was self-inflicted.

Your silence on some major Ward E issues has become deafening, perhaps because of these alliances. If you had checked your ego at the door four years ago, and placed keeping your campaign promises to the voters ahead of promises to your alliances, you might have had a more productive and effective term in office when it came to those original promises. Although past performance is no predictor of future results, you've got alot of work ahead of your to turn things around.

I wish you the best of luck. It's never too late, unless you no longer want it...

Posted on: 2009/2/15 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Correct again Ross,You always have the history to fall back on.
My point was the same,it's politics in Hudson County.Todays friend could be tomorrows enemy.No crying in politics.

Better to just be careful who you let into your circle.I think Fulop
is now getting a real eye opener in politics 101.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 21:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
My two cents.
I think a lot of people who both like and dislike steve Fulop were shocked that he did not run for Mayor.These same people had their eye on his seat and would have jumped in with both feet because it would have been an open seat.
Its obvious that some don't want to wait for Fulop to move on.

Some of these people were probably in the Fulop camp hoping to get the seat when steve ran for Mayor.I know more than a few who are now actively working for Manzo but were long time Fulop
supporters.

This is Hudson county after all and nothing surprises me.Healy was elected to his at large council seat on Lou Manzos ticket.
So that means they were friends once,no?

Like someone else here said "you can't make this stuff up"

Don't forget:

Healy cost the Cunningham team a clean sweep of at-large seats (beating Carl Czaplicki, I think).

Manzo threw his support to Cunningham in the 2001 runoff, expected to be part of the team, and got shut out by Glenn's handlers.

Fulop was recruited by Glenn to run against Menendez after Glenn's handlers decided that he should be top dog in Hudson County and that it was alright to call Menendez (arguably his most powerful supporter) a "domestic terrorist".

Fulop supported Manzo against Sandra Cunningham for Glenn's state senate seat.

O, what a tangled web. But always entertaining.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SamS wrote:
Certainly, this is no where near as bizarre as a drunken mayor, sitting/sleeping on his front porch for the world to see him in all his glory, or just his angry inch.. Only to follow that act with a fraternity style drunken brawl at the Jersey Shore. "Where were you when the lights went out at Dee Jayees?"

While it pains me every time someone makes fun of Healy and his alcoholism, please note that that paragraph is one of the most gloriously written on this site in a while. Like since Big Boi.

I heart Sammy.

Posted on: 2009/2/15 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I don't get why the facebook pictures remain up -- Talk about "Hobokeness"...

Good question and why would anyone have an ?open to the general public? Facebook page that over 175 million active users can see. This is just all too bizarre even by HC politics standards. Like I said before ??you can?t make this stuff up.

Wait, isn't the fact that they are friendly and open about it a good thing? It's not a dirty little secret. It's actually the exact opposite. Which is refreshing.

What's so bizarre about it? Am I not getting something here?

Posted on: 2009/2/15 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My two cents.
I think a lot of people who both like and dislike steve Fulop were shocked that he did not run for Mayor.These same people had their eye on his seat and would have jumped in with both feet because it would have been an open seat.
Its obvious that some don't want to wait for Fulop to move on.

Some of these people were probably in the Fulop camp hoping to get the seat when steve ran for Mayor.I know more than a few who are now actively working for Manzo but were long time Fulop
supporters.

This is Hudson county after all and nothing surprises me.Healy was elected to his at large council seat on Lou Manzos ticket.
So that means they were friends once,no?

Like someone else here said "you can't make this stuff up"

Posted on: 2009/2/15 17:59

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017