Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: High school Astroturf: $1.3 MILLION!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sinatra Park field in Hoboken was found to have lead at the same time as Cochrane. The artificial turf at Sinatra Park was replaced, and we have been using the wonderful new field for two months now.

Meanwhile Jesrey City have yet to agree on a contractor.

Robin.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

lowkey2 wrote:
I understand that 1.3 could be used for cheerleader outfits and kickballs, but with no field where would these sports take place.

Turf is essential for urban sports to thrive. I could question this move if we were in Kansas surrounded by fields, but aren't....no turf=sports in dirt boxes=not fun=low participation.

Totally agreed. That field is home to an enormous amount of extracurricular activity, and it should be renovated once and well, so as to serve all of its users for as long as possible. It's not something to be a penny-wise-pound-foolish about.

We could chase our tails all we want cherry-picking one expenditure here and one expenditure there and asking hypothetically what could be used with X allocation, but that house of cards quickly tumbles down, as lowkey2 pointed out.

What this story really is about is the fact that a lower bid was disregarded in favor of a bid for hundreds of thousands of dollars more. That's what the press (haha) and the hard-working taxpayers deserve an answer about.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 21:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/8 4:55
From Hidden Valley
Group:
Registered Users
I understand that 1.3 could be used for cheerleader outfits and kickballs, but with no field where would these sports take place.

Turf is essential for urban sports to thrive. I could question this move if we were in Kansas surrounded by fields, but aren't....no turf=sports in dirt boxes=not fun=low participation.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Is that an ethnic dig ?? Go back to Hollywood !

Nope, it's a "Mafia control of the construction and carting businesses in New Jersey" dig.

And anyone who thinks the mafia lives only in Hollywood movies has never been to North Jersey or is deaf, dumb, and blind.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Turf rejection was shock, wants answers: bidder

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Paul Martino was shocked when his company's bid to replace the Caven Point turf field, the lowest of four proposals received by Jersey City, was rejected by the city last month.

Now he's demanding answers.

Montville-based Applied Landscape Technologies made a bid of $1,069,900 and still has not received an explanation of why it was rejected, according to Martino, the company's president.

"I feel like they threw me under the bus," he said. "We didn't do anything wrong."

City officials told The Jersey Journal last week that they had not received some financial data from Applied and had questions about the quality of its work, but that the bid's rejection was being reconsidered.

The city awarded a $1,293,000 contract to J.A. Alexander, of Bloomfield, earlier this month, then rescinded it last week after a challenge from Applied.

Martino said his company has installed about 15 turf fields throughout the state, making the job "a no-brainer for us."

"I thought we should have been awarded the job from the beginning," he said. "I don't like the smell of it. We're going to fight this tooth and nail. What's right is right."

Martino has hired an attorney, but has not taken any legal action. Jersey City Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis said the city might reconsider its rejection of Martino's company's bid. The city is required to pick the lowest "responsible and responsive" bidder, he noted.

The old synthetic field at Cochrane Stadium was removed in April when elevated levels of lead were found. It's now unclear if the new field will be ready in time for the start of the high school football season in September.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

lowkey2 wrote:

We need to spend more money on athletics, then maybe we could have less crime, which would lead to less police, which would mean $savings.

We need to spend more money on athletics, then maybe we would have less overweight cows going to the doctor/ER and increasing health care costs, which governments subsidize.

I know that it is an oversimplification, but there is a correlation.

And grass dies with overuse, think that happens in Metro cities? Find one grass field open for community sports and see if has any grass, ex. J J Braddock park in WNY.

I agree 100% that there needs to be a rededicated effort to physical fitness in our schools.

But just think of all the cheap and cheerful games that $1.3 million could buy. Or all the after school programs it could fund. Or all the 1.3 million other things it could be used for.

I cannot think of a logical reason to spend that much money on something so cosmetic, beyond vanity and greed.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

lowkey2 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I think high school sports are a vast waste of money - exercise is good but spending money on team sports is a real waste - I wish America could grow up.

That said what about just putting down some grass seed.

"Grow Up"...no grow out.

We need to spend more money on athletics, then maybe we could have less crime, which would lead to less police, which would mean $savings.

We need to spend more money on athletics, then maybe we would have less overweight cows going to the doctor/ER and increasing health care costs, which governments subsidize.

And grass dies with overuse, think that happens in Metro cities? Find one grass field open for community sports and see if has any grass, ex. J J Braddock park in WNY.

The commendable inclusion of more children into sports is the exact opposite of the results when the money goes to support bloated "pro" programs for a small roster of kids in the highest profile sports. It's phys-ed vs Varsity sports in a battle for resources, guess who wins?

Example: Here's what the JCBOE calls a program for pre-HS sports. http://www.jcboe.org/projectateam/
The "season" for each sport appears to be 4-5 weeks long. How serious can that be? Despite the fact that both Ferris and Dickinson have pools, there appears to be no serious primary or middle school swimming programs. How much use do you suppose those expensive to build and maintain pools really get?

Posted on: 2008/7/21 20:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/8 4:55
From Hidden Valley
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I think high school sports are a vast waste of money - exercise is good but spending money on team sports is a real waste - I wish America could grow up.

"Grow Up"...no grow out.

Posted on: 2008/7/21 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

There's nothing wrong with team sports, it's the "professionalization" that's twisted. The whole thing starts to look like a preteen beauty pageant. My rather large high school on LI had a grass field and bleachers, not a multimillion dollar stadium.

Posted on: 2008/7/21 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/21 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken's soccer field at Sinatra Park was re-done for $300 thousand (no-bid contract), which brought about a bit of an uproar among those who don't own cleats, but pay taxes.

who knew they were getting such a bargain?

http://hoboken411.com/archives/11598

Posted on: 2008/7/21 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
I wish I'd gotten this sweet contract.

But then it's tough to bid against SOPRANO CONSTRUCTION in the "inner cities."

Is that an ethnic dig ?? Go back to Hollywood !

Posted on: 2008/7/21 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I wish I'd gotten this sweet contract.

But then it's tough to bid against SOPRANO CONSTRUCTION in the "inner cities."

Posted on: 2008/7/20 17:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Turf may not be ready by football season
Friday, July 18, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Cochrane Stadium at Caven Point in Jersey City may not be ready for the start of the high school football season. A $1,293,000 contract to replace the field's synthetic turf was voided by the City Council yesterday pending resolution of a dispute over the bidding.

Tell me how it can cost $1.3 MILLION to lay down fake grass on a high school field? Is this really possible or more insane contracts by the city?

In a completely unscientific trawling of recent net news for high school astroturf costs, the highest I saw was ~$900K. Different markets, though.

http://www.dunnconnect.com/articles/2008/07/14/sports/sports01.txt
http://www.wickedlocal.com/somerville ... -be-replaced-by-Astroturf
http://www.nvdaily.com/sports/309521083339985.bsp
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2 ... f_set_for_withington.html
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-07192008-1565216.html
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 05/807030339/1020/LOCAL05

Posted on: 2008/7/20 12:45

High school Astroturf: $1.3 MILLION!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Turf may not be ready by football season
Friday, July 18, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Cochrane Stadium at Caven Point in Jersey City may not be ready for the start of the high school football season. A $1,293,000 contract to replace the field's synthetic turf was voided by the City Council yesterday pending resolution of a dispute over the bidding.

Tell me how it can cost $1.3 MILLION to lay down fake grass on a high school field? Is this really possible or more insane contracts by the city?

Posted on: 2008/7/18 21:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017