Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New York Times: Staying in the Comfort Zone -"...amazed at how close Jersey City is to Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Gawker pretty much hit the nail on the head a couple months ago on the NY Times real estate columns. Let's face it, they seem to profile only annoying twits looking for a place to live!

http://gawker.com/tag/urban-anthropol ... or-the-dumbest-of-reasons'

Posted on: 2008/6/23 18:16

Re: New York Times: Staying in the Comfort Zone -"...amazed at how close Jersey City is to Manhattan..."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
This article should have ADEVERTISEMENT written over it.

What a disgusting puff-piece thinly disguised as journalism.

BTW - 700 Grove must not be selling that well (hence the article) - they are in the middle of no-man's land between Hoboken and JC, hard on the railroad tracks (with attendant train noise), and overlooking New Jersey Transit Depot.

Great.

If I were buying, Athena is so much better - next to Trump, the Powerhouse, and the future Koolhaas.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:43

Re: New York Times: Staying in the Comfort Zone -"...amazed at how close Jersey City is to Manhattan..."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
The surfeit of information on the dynamics of their relationship aside, the one thing that really irks me about this article is the whole "seven minute drive from Manhattan" thing.

Does anyone really move to Jersey City (or Hoboken for that matter) so they can drive into Manhattan? Isn't the whole reason for both towns' increasing prosperity that they are accessible to Manhattan via 24-hour public transport? Heck, the PATH train from Hoboken only takes 5 minutes, so why not plug that?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the dude's position as a sales agent for Canco. Their assertion that the McGinley Square or Journal Square areas are "10 minutes from Manhattan" are ridiculous and I suppose assume that you are driving in at 3am on a Tuesday morning.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:35

Re: New York Times: Staying in the Comfort Zone -"...amazed at how close Jersey City is to Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
BTW, I'm wicked high maintenance and probably your worst nightmare on paper, but if you met me in person you might actually like me, even though apparently we have a completely different value system

So long as you don't kvetch about my hanging my laundry out back to dry (and thereby lowering the neighborhood's property values), I think we'll get along grandly!

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

So what if some of us read this piece and feel a tad superior to these people??? Yes, some people do feel a bit better reading that piece and thinking: "I may not be as rich as these people and may never be able to afford a home like that, but at least I'm not so wrapped up in myself I'm so out of touch, especially in these tough times."

Nothing at all wrong with it, as long as you understand that you're I'm-so-superior attitude is humorous.

You may well be superior to these people, but basing your opinion on an typical real estate section puff piece (the idea of which - suburban couple tentatively moves to a new development in JC to be near Manhattan - was probably preconceived and the editor was looking for a couple to shoehorn into the mold) and a handful of quotes is kind of silly.

It's good to see the usual cliches in action, though. "I'm not so wrapped up in myself I'm so out of touch, especially in these tough times." You can expand on that with the oft-cited "I'm more grounded" or "at least I'm real," for added flavor - none of which are probably true, but if it makes you feel better then knock yourself out

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Why bother hating on people who are different from you? What do you care? They live in a building that you will never live in, plus they hang out in the city half the week, apparently. So what damage do they do to your life here? I don't get it. Would you want to be surrounded by people exactly like you for the rest of your life?

For as nice as it is to see JC real estate get coverage in the press, I sort of moan every time since I know there will be some trash talk here.

It's really disheartening to hear (well, read) the negativity around this issue all the time. Every time. Never fails.

These new people moving in are younger/better looking, richer, more successful in their careers at this time in their lives than the bashers ever were or ever will be. There's a lot of envy and jealousy involved, people love to bring others down to their level.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
Why bother hating on people who are different from you? What do you care? They live in a building that you will never live in, plus they hang out in the city half the week, apparently. So what damage do they do to your life here? I don't get it. Would you want to be surrounded by people exactly like you for the rest of your life?

Why? Because it's human nature, and it's OK to indulge in a little schadenfreude every now and then. I remember shuddering when I read that article in the paper Sunday morning and thinking, "Thank God these people aren't my neighbors." Not because they're yuppies, but because they seem more than a little high-maintenance. And the whole "comfort zone" thing? Read into that all sorts of subtext. So what if some of us read this piece and feel a tad superior to these people??? Yes, some people do feel a bit better reading that piece and thinking: "I may not be as rich as these people and may never be able to afford a home like that, but at least I'm not so wrapped up in myself I'm so out of touch, especially in these tough times."

And no, I wouldn't want to be surrounded by people exactly like me for the rest of my life, but I generally would like to be around people who share the same values, and sorry, I just don't see it in these people. So stop beating up on posters just because they don't necessarily want to all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. JCList would be very boring, indeed, if everyone did.

Trust me, the last thing I am about is kumbaya. I've seen JCList at a level far snarkier and nastier than this.

I guess here's where my confusion really is:

We bash on every new financially successful person who moves to this city to fill up those high rises and declare them a yuppie and hateful and without values.

But then we mock the people who go to the Sand Bar. Who are really true Jersey (with a dash of Staten Island).

Which do you want? And is it so impossible to live with both without bitching about it?

BTW, I'm wicked high maintenance and probably your worst nightmare on paper, but if you met me in person you might actually like me, even though apparently we have a completely different value system.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
You have also sussed the point with precision.
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Why? Because it's human nature, and it's OK to indulge in a little schadenfreude every now and then. I remember shuddering when I read that article in the paper Sunday morning and thinking, "Thank God these people aren't my neighbors." Not because they're yuppies, but because they seem more than a little high-maintenance. And the whole "comfort zone" thing? Read into that all sorts of subtext. So what if some of us read this piece and feel a tad superior to these people??? Yes, some people do feel a bit better reading that piece and thinking: "I may not be as rich as these people and may never be able to afford a home like that, but at least I'm not so wrapped up in myself I'm so out of touch, especially in these tough times."

And no, I wouldn't want to be surrounded by people exactly like me for the rest of my life, but I generally would like to be around people who share the same values, and sorry, I just don't see it in these people. So stop beating up on posters just because they don't necessarily want to all hold hands and sing Kumbaya. JCList would be very boring, indeed, if everyone did.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly, good sir.

Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
Ha, ha, Mrs. Tartaglia seems "difficult":

"When she arrived and assumed most of the closet space, he shoved his sports stuff into the little laundry room."

Yet: "?I always felt it was Marco?s place,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?It wasn?t our place together.?"

And: "?I threw it in his face: ?See, I told you ? it went to a bidding war,? ? Mrs. Tartaglia said.""

I don't think the "hating" in this thread is about them being yuppies as much as it is about one of them repeatedly boasting in a most public way about how whipped the other is. This in an article suspiciously about two real estate "professionals" that promotes real estate where they work. I concur - two counts of douchebaggery.

[quote]
ianmac47 wrote:
Wow. These people are super douchebags.

[quote]

Posted on: 2008/6/23 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2008/6/23 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Ha, ha, Mrs. Tartaglia seems "difficult":

"When she arrived and assumed most of the closet space, he shoved his sports stuff into the little laundry room."

Yet: "?I always felt it was Marco?s place,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?It wasn?t our place together.?"

And: "?I threw it in his face: ?See, I told you ? it went to a bidding war,? ? Mrs. Tartaglia said.""

I don't think the "hating" in this thread is about them being yuppies as much as it is about one of them repeatedly boasting in a most public way about how whipped the other is. This in an article suspiciously about two real estate "professionals" that promotes real estate where they work. I concur - two counts of douchebaggery.

[quote]
ianmac47 wrote:

[quote]

Posted on: 2008/6/23 2:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
Fluff or not, this is excellent exposure for Jersey City.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
What I'd like to know is how much the Marketing Team for 700 Grove paid the NY Times to put this "advertisement" together for them. It's been quite awhile since I've seen such a complex fluff piece.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

For as nice as it is to see JC real estate get coverage in the press, I sort of moan every time since I know there will be some trash talk here.

It's really disheartening to hear (well, read) the negativity around this issue all the time. Every time. Never fails.

+1

+1 on the +1

Posted on: 2008/6/23 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

+1

Posted on: 2008/6/23 1:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
On the one hand, I am probably one of those yuppies at heart, except without the pocketbook--just the taste for expensive crap. So good. Let them come. My property value can only rise.

On the other hand, well, what other hand?

Posted on: 2008/6/22 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/6/22 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mr_smith wrote:
now I see why certain residents of JC are complaining about yuppies moving in.

Those ain't yuppies. ianmac47 hit the nail on the head.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 19:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/22 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
now I see why certain residents of JC are complaining about yuppies moving in.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 19:41
Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
-Thomas Neill

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Kansas.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/22 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
They drive in only on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, when traffic is thin and street parking plentiful.

And this OTHER Manhattan with easy parking is located in which state?

Posted on: 2008/6/22 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Most significantly, ?two bathrooms makes for a happy marriage,? Mr. Tartaglia said.

They will be divorced within 5 years.

Quote:

They drive in only on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, when traffic is thin and street parking plentiful. On other days, they take the PATH train. ?We have our set thing,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?We know the restaurants and the streets well enough.?

A few weeks back, they made the mistake of driving in on a Saturday night.

Moving to Montclair in 3.... 2...

Posted on: 2008/6/22 14:06

New York Times: Staying in the Comfort Zone -"...amazed at how close Jersey City is to Manhattan..."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

A new building on Grove Street, in Jersey City, was behind the buyers? old condo.

Staying in the Comfort Zone

New York Times
The Hunt
By JOYCE COHEN
June 22, 2008

NEARLY two years ago, Lana Walsh helped her future husband, Marco Tartaglia, choose his bachelor pad at the Zephyr Lofts condominium in Jersey City, just over the Hoboken line. She joined him soon afterward. They knew they wouldn?t be living there long.

Though it was a generous 900 square feet, the apartment was still only a one-bedroom. The closet situation ?got a little crazy for me,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?There is no way I could have fit all my stuff in there even if I were alone.? Mr. Tartaglia had bulky snowboard and golf equipment. When she arrived and assumed most of the closet space, he shoved his sports stuff into the little laundry room.

?I always felt it was Marco?s place,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?It wasn?t our place together.?

Mrs. Tartaglia, 26, grew up mostly in Holmdel, in central New Jersey. After graduating from Loyola College in Baltimore, she earned an M.B.A. at Seton Hall University in South Orange and became an agent at Caulfield Real Estate in Hoboken. She was living with her parents four years ago when she met Mr. Tartaglia, 36, who works as a sales manager for a developer.

At that point, Mr. Tartaglia, a Florham Park native and a graduate of Montclair State University, was renting an apartment in Summit with a roommate. When Mr. Tartaglia bought his home in the Zephyr Lofts, his roommate bought a condominium in Morristown. (?He had a girlfriend and I had a girlfriend,? Mr. Tartaglia said. ?He married his and I married mine, so it worked out for both.?)

Last summer, as they were planning their fall wedding, the Tartaglias began the hunt for a two-bedroom, two-bath condo. In the Zephyr Lofts, the only big units available were duplex lofts that seemed too open. They wanted a better setup for overnight guests.

It was tempting to buy a suburban house. Near Holmdel, ?those beautiful houses that two years ago were going for $750,000 are going for $600,000,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. Unfortunately, ?I wasn?t really ready for the house.?

The couple expected to end up in a small Hoboken condo building. ?I know Hoboken inside and out,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?We always walk to the same little Italian restaurant. It is a comfort-zone thing.?

But their price range, around $600,000, proved low for Hoboken. ?That kind of inhibits your square footage,? she said. ?You are not going to find anything unless it?s a walk-up? ? or a trek from the PATH train and the waterfront.

A huge top-floor duplex, with 1,400 square feet of space and a price of $639,000, was available at 1021 Grand Street. Mrs. Tartaglia loved its big roof terrace and location near Columbus Park. ?It looked better in the pictures than it did in person, but I thought it had a lot of potential,? she said. Mr. Tartaglia argued that it would need at least $60,000 worth of work to upgrade the bathroom and refurbish the scuffed wood floors.

The condo later sold for $656,500. ?I threw it in his face: ?See, I told you ? it went to a bidding war,? ? Mrs. Tartaglia said.

They considered the Oz, a five-year-old building on Adams Street. But the price for a two-bedroom, around $589,000 with no doorman, didn?t seem like a bargain. ?To me, it didn?t matter, but Marco likes the whole doorman thing,? Mrs. Tartaglia said.

They nearly placed an offer on a unit at 1028 Hudson Street. This one, a 1,000-square-foot two-bedroom with just one bathroom, was near Elysian Park. The listing price was $565,000. ?I fell in love with the location because Hudson Street is a beautiful, charming street,? Mrs. Tartaglia said.

But the unit?s railroad layout wasn?t ideal. Mr. Tartaglia also feared that the ground-floor location would be noisy, with people coming in and out. ?We wouldn?t have much privacy,? he said. ?They would hear our TV on and would hear us talking.? It lacked parking, and there was still the matter of the one bathroom.

The couple wondered whether Hoboken could offer what they were seeking in their price range. So last fall, when they returned from their honeymoon in Italy, they resumed the hunt in Jersey City.

?Although Hoboken has arrived, I think Jersey City has potential and is going to grow a lot over the next five or 10 years,? Mr. Tartaglia said. ?It made sense from an investment standpoint.?

But most of the new condos there seemed ?kind of plain Jane,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?Nothing really appealed to us.? Layouts were impractical. ?When you are strapped for space and every square foot is $500 or $600, you don?t want to waste it on a hallway,? when it could be better used in a kitchen or bedroom, she said.

Mr. Tartaglia had his eye on one unit at Canco Lofts, where he is a sales manager. But the timing was bad. The building, formerly an American Can Company factory, is being fully rehabilitated and won?t be ready for closings until next fall.

Meanwhile, the couple watched 700 Grove rising directly behind the Zephyr. The buildings share a parking garage and a courtyard. Mrs. Tartaglia often showed the building to clients.

?Every time I was taking out a client, I was looking for myself, too,? she said. ?We already know the neighborhood, we like the location, we are comfortable here and the building has the amenities that Marco likes ? the gym and the doorman.?

Over time, ?it kind of grew on them, bringing other people in and seeing them get excited about the building,? said Shirley Saez, the sales manager for 700 Grove.

Last winter, the Tartaglias bought a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment of 1,200 square feet, paying just over $600,000, including $30,000 for a parking space. Monthly charges are nearly $640, and taxes are less than $10,000 a year.

They have set up the second bedroom as an office and guest room, and now have plenty of closet space. Most significantly, ?two bathrooms makes for a happy marriage,? Mr. Tartaglia said.

Their friends are always amazed at how close Jersey City is to Manhattan ? a seven-minute drive. They drive in only on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, when traffic is thin and street parking plentiful. On other days, they take the PATH train. ?We have our set thing,? Mrs. Tartaglia said. ?We know the restaurants and the streets well enough.?

A few weeks back, they made the mistake of driving in on a Saturday night. They ended up circling for two and a half hours looking for parking. ?We were, like, never again ? let?s just go back home,? Mrs. Tartaglia said.

Earlier this month, they added the final touch to their new home ? a screen on the sliding door that leads to their balcony. That was necessary to keep Lola, their new kitten, safely inside while they sit outdoors at night, enjoying wine and the Manhattan view.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 10:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017