Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
41 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 39

JerseyCityFrankie, Saradove, more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users






Re: Driveway line laws?
#28
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Thank you!

Posted on: 2008/3/14 13:54
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#27
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/30 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 103
Offline
First you used to be able to find out in city hall now I think you have to go to 30 montgomery. Find out if his driveway is even legal. Alot of homes built in the VVP, and the Paulus Hook area do not have legal driveways, you used to be able to tell if someones' driveway was legal or not from the proprty lines, second you can complain if his car is blocking a portion of the sidewalk making it difficult for people to pass, contact the NID (Neighborhood Improvement Districts) guys(if they arte still around), I think they have an office on central ave. they handle all municipal ordinances, quality of life issues. If no succes there contact the East District, every district has an officer assigned to community relations, ask them how you can find out if these people have legal driveways. As far as him damaging your property, go to 365 Summit ave with your proof and sign a complaint against him. You can find half of the phone numbers you need in the blue section of the phone book. Remember when enough people complain about something they'll send someone out to check it out.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 17:31
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#26
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Ok. Now if you just stated that before I may not have gotten so irrated with you Selective. Sorry if I went over-board including you in my rant. This goes beyond what you are saying and I do understand what you are saying. There are plenty of factors involved in this situation beyond this matter at hand. This person (I have caught on tape) has gone onto my property and placed garbage on my porch, has banged up my car many many times and other not so nice things in the past few years. Also plenty of other neighbors that park in this spot have gotten hit and I am not talking about little taps either.

I have tried reasoning with these people rationally and they are just not having it. I won't go into my personal feelings other than they are just not nice people to contend with. And I just want to know the laws for my own personal information.

jc73...all I was complaining about is that you were rude. I was just asking for help that is all. I do get upset because it is very frustrated in this whole situation.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 17:05
Just trying to live my life the best way I can. If you don't like me then just leave me alone.
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#25
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/30 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 103
Offline
Take it easy there kid, no need to lose your mind. If you say that this person is out to get everyone, and you want to get back at them, there is a simple and LEGAL way of finding out if they have a LEGAL driveway to begin with. Alot of people don't realize it but there are alot of illegal driveways out there and if someone has one you can have them ticketed for parking on the sidewalk. The problem the cops don't get a list of who has a legal driveway and who doesn't, it just doesn't exist. So technically if you were to get a ticket for blocking an illegal driveway you could fight it and win.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 16:58
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#24
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/10 12:24
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 22
Offline
I realize you're probably not running around blocking people's driveways. The problem is that if you ever have to make an argument over your 'inch', then it's already too late.

Regardless of what the statutes say, if you're really close to the line, then you're rolling the dice. If you think you're not blocking anyone then take the risk.

I think people are being negative because we've all had our dealings with the JC Parking Authority. Basically if you leave a situation up to interpretation, be prepared for some negative results.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 16:51
Author, Dream-weaver, Visionary, plus Actor
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#23
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Hey did you two numb-nuts read the whole thread or atleast all of my posts in this thread?

Quote:
Sickofitall wrote:
Thank you for all of the information. Just to set the record straight I don't make a habit of blocking the way for anyone to go in or out of there driveways. I am concerned for this law because my car was barely on top of the line over an inch and a certain neighbor called up to try to ticket me. I would never intentionally cause a problem.



I am not dumb and I do use common sense. All I was asking for was advice and all you all care about is attacking someone for asking an honest to goodness simple question. Like I did state in above posts, I don't block anyones driveway...I was talking about an inch, a stupid inch on top of a line and a one time deal...and I only asked because this person is out to get anyone even parking feet away from her driveway. I am not some a-hole who blocks people from thier driveway access. I swear reading some of these negative posts make me laugh.

jc73...you like sarcasm right? I was just going with the flow that you started. Who said anything about out of state plates anyway?

Thanks again for those of you honestly trying to help a fellow JC neighbor!

Posted on: 2008/3/13 16:43
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#22
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/10 12:24
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 22
Offline
Who cares what the statute says.

If you're dumb enough to park that close to the line then you're playing with fire and you deserve to get towed. You can make all the statutory arguments you want but it's going to be too little too late.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 13:00
Author, Dream-weaver, Visionary, plus Actor
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#21
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/30 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 103
Offline
Thats what I like to see, sarcasm. Everyone wants to know where it is written for everything. Instead of just saying to yourself let me use some common sense, if I park here is the person who lives here going to be able to get thier car out, or why do I have to pay the non-residency fee for my car, just because I have out of state plates I still live here, the insurance is cheaper elsewhere. Here it is people because when you block someones driveway they can't get out, you wouldn't appreciate it if they did it to you, and by the way its the law you have to have your license, registration and insurance where you live not where it is cheaper.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 0:02
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#20
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Wow. jc73... You. Are. So. Cool. Now go blow. Your advice was so challenging. I don't mind going to...what are they called again? Oh yeah...the library, but I was hoping to try to find information online first...so thanks...appreciate the miraculous information.

Posted on: 2008/3/12 22:37
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#19
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/30 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 103
Offline
They are easy to find. I'll give you a hint, you can look in a building where there are alot of books and have to be really quiet.

Posted on: 2008/3/12 9:12
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#18
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Quote:

owlcat wrote:
The Jersey City Municipal Code is available online at: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/jersey/

Conveniently, the Code does not have Chapter 332 Vehicles and Traffic online. But, you can get a printed edition from the City Clerk for $250.00! I'm sure you are allowed to go in and look at Chapter 332, because they can't make you pay to find out the law.


I REALLY think it should be the law now that EVERY law must be easily accessible and searchable online. It is inexcusable these days to have that type of information only available to the lawyers and such.


I agree. It's like pulling teeth just to find what laws are! If I knew them life would be much easier.

If this driveway is illegal then maybe these people will stop thinking the spot (in the street) blocking the driveway is there private parking place and stop using my car as a bumper car!

Posted on: 2008/3/11 9:16
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/3/19 14:28
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 162
Offline
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
The car can only be towed if you can't get out of your driveway, not if you can't get in.


huh? that makes no sense.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 17:30
obama is a glittering jewel of ignorance
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/10 13:33
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 321
Offline
Quote:

owlcat wrote:
The Jersey City Municipal Code is available online at: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/jersey/

Conveniently, the Code does not have Chapter 332 Vehicles and Traffic online. But, you can get a printed edition from the City Clerk for $250.00! I'm sure you are allowed to go in and look at Chapter 332, because they can't make you pay to find out the law.


I REALLY think it should be the law now that EVERY law must be easily accessible and searchable online. It is inexcusable these days to have that type of information only available to the lawyers and such.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 17:06
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/8 11:04
Group:
Banned
Posts: 295
Offline
Quote:

Sickofitall wrote:
Thank you for all of the information. Just to set the record straight I don't make a habit of blocking the way for anyone to go in or out of there driveways. I am concerned for this law because my car was barely on top of the line over an inch and a certain neighbor called up to try to ticket me. I would never intensionally cause a problem.

Also technically she can't go down her "driveway", there is no way to fit a vehicle down passed it's nose, so it only fits as to block the majority of the sidewalk (which is illegal). Basically she doesn't even use it, just for the street spot in the street in which I have never seen a permit displayed in her car which I was told by JCPD is needed.

Thanks guys!


This is one of those classic JC questions, that noone has ever been able to clarify .

Whats more interesting is how many homeowners have an illegal driveway and that everyone tends to turn an eye to?

Now thats not Right !

CK

Posted on: 2008/3/10 16:18
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#14
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Thank you for all of the information. Just to set the record straight I don't make a habit of blocking the way for anyone to go in or out of there driveways. I am concerned for this law because my car was barely on top of the line over an inch and a certain neighbor called up to try to ticket me. I would never intensionally cause a problem.

Also technically she can't go down her "driveway", there is no way to fit a vehicle down passed it's nose, so it only fits as to block the majority of the sidewalk (which is illegal). Basically she doesn't even use it, just for the street spot in the street in which I have never seen a permit displayed in her car which I was told by JCPD is needed.

Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2008/3/10 16:05
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#13
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/30 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 103
Offline
The code is 39:4-138d, I know this because I have a house in JC and poeple used ot block my driveway all the time. The car has to be completely behind the line otherwise they can get a ticket. The car can only be towed if you can't get out of your driveway, not if you can't get in.

Posted on: 2008/3/8 6:40
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#12
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/5/16 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 6
Offline
Your whole car, including the very edge of your bumper, has to be behind the diagonal lines. Some people try and paint these themselves but you can tell the difference between these and the official JCPA paintings.

The reason for the lines is to enable the car to pull out at an angle. If you park right up next to the edge, it makes it impossible to pull out.

I've also had cars ticked and/or towed for parking to close because I couldn't get out.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 17:50
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#11
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/9/28 12:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 22
Offline
I had a guy towed two weeks ago for parking in my driveway. He's swung by to ask me for the tow charge or he'll sue. Seriously. It'd been a long time since I laughed in someone's face.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 16:53
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/8 16:08
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 210
Offline
This is the obvious and surely correct answer. How am I supposed to get in my driveway if you're parked up to your front wheels? I'm amazed at the people on my street who will park a foot or more into a driveway and then be surprised when they are ticketed.

Quote:

Christine16 wrote:
your whole car must be behind the line

Posted on: 2008/3/7 16:29
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#9
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/10/10 7:42
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 15
Offline
The Jersey City Municipal Code is available online at: http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/jersey/

Conveniently, the Code does not have Chapter 332 Vehicles and Traffic online. But, you can get a printed edition from the City Clerk for $250.00! I'm sure you are allowed to go in and look at Chapter 332, because they can't make you pay to find out the law.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 16:20
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#8
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
How? Well all I am saying is that there is a line preventing anyone from parking there right? Well it doesn't matter anyway because since the hydrant is there you would have to park further away from that line anyway. Obviously anyone with brains knows you can't park in front of the hydrant, which is very close to this driveway. Also with this driveway you can only go down so far which means blocking the sidewalk. So it is messed up anyway. Just seems like a waste of paint. Just my opinion. No harm no foul.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 15:45
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/28 18:20
Group:
Banned
Posts: 182
Offline
Quote:

Sickofitall wrote:
Christine16 ~ Yikes! Sorry to hear you got towed. I am not saying I don't believe you, I just would like it for my own documentation. As for the parking authority they are the ones who I received the conflicting info from which is why I was wondering if it was up to the individual discretion of the person giving a ticket/towing the car. Thanks again though.

I am Googling like crazy and am comming up empty handed.

brewster ~ I know the city did the lines because I saw them do it, which still is iffy just for the fact that they put a driveway line and "no parking" infront of a supposed driveway when it is less than 10 feet from a firehydrant! Go figure. I do think people get away with too much, at least on the block where I live.


Why would it be illegal to have a driveway within 10 feet of a fire hydrant?

Posted on: 2008/3/7 15:22
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#6
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Christine16 ~ Yikes! Sorry to hear you got towed. I am not saying I don't believe you, I just would like it for my own documentation. As for the parking authority they are the ones who I received the conflicting info from which is why I was wondering if it was up to the individual discretion of the person giving a ticket/towing the car. Thanks again though.

I am Googling like crazy and am comming up empty handed.

brewster ~ I know the city did the lines because I saw them do it, which still is iffy just for the fact that they put a driveway line and "no parking" infront of a supposed driveway when it is less than 10 feet from a firehydrant! Go figure. I do think people get away with too much, at least on the block where I live.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 15:18
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3211
Offline
Lots of these lines are DIY by the owner. I'd be interested in the statute also.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 14:02
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#4
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/1 21:22
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 67
Offline
For one, i've gotten towed. If any part of your car is in that space, it can be considered as blocking the driveway.

The front of your car still takes up space.

If you want a law or rule, try googling it and see what comes up. Or call parking authority and ask.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 13:53
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#3
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
OK , but how do you know this for a fact? I appreciate your answer but I am truly looking for something more of a law or statute.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 13:49
Print Top


Re: Driveway line laws?
#2
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/1 21:22
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 67
Offline
your whole car must be behind the line

Posted on: 2008/3/7 13:44
Print Top


Driveway line laws?
#1
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/11 10:45
From Around
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 11
Offline
Does anyone know where I can find a law on how far over a driveway line I can park??? I have been told conflicting things.

A. You can park up to the beginning of your front tire.

and/or

B. Your whole vehicle must be behind the line.

I just want to know the correct way because sometimes it just isn't possible to fit my car into a spot unless I am slightly over the line and really don't want a ticket and sometimes there is just nowhere else to park.

I am sure you all know how parking is in JC! Thanks:)

Posted on: 2008/3/7 12:38
Print Top








[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014