Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
46 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 3 »


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#70
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/4/22 4:43
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 419
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
... the problem seems to be the lack of temporary parking if you needed to drive somewhere. Seems like some say there is nowhere near enough parking and more spaces must be added while others think there's plenty of temporary parking. Might want to focus the discussion on that, because I agree that cities should be required to provide enough temporary parking spots to accommodate most. Shouldn't have to drive around 20 min looking for a spot if you need to drive somewhere.


Well, seems to me that should be an easier problem to solve. Temporary spaces, with limited-time parking marked by signs, and sometimes metered, can serve far more people than permanent parking.

I would think that in at least some places, perhaps away from the business districts, one solution would be to change some permanent/permit parking (even on residential streets) to temporary parking to accomodate visitors.

Of course, part of the solution for all this is to keep aggressively implementing bike and pedestrian improvements, from bike lanes and bike racks to better crosswalks and traffic enforcement, so that as many people as possible can arrive at destinations by bike and on foot--even if they have a car at home.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 18:48
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#69
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 19:12
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2291
Offline
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Thank god this message board isn't in charge of urban planning. You all are fighting against the progression of the end of the autocentric era. It's happening whether you like it or not. We're in the enviable position of having a truly dense and walkable downtown with good public transit, something that most progressive cities strive for, and you all want to turn us into Charlotte.

Taking up the first five floors of every new building with parking lots and leaving the street wall with an ugly as hell vented concrete wall is some very backwards thinking these days. I know lots of old timers here want to pretend that JC isn't increasingly becoming a de facto borough but that's the reality. The people that are moving into new luxury buildings are by and large commuting into Manhattan. Hate to break it to you, but that's the draw for Jersey City and what is driving the amenities and development here.

If you (Yvonne) think we need to worry about someone getting a boot while going to a funeral, well that's a laughable outlier of an occassion and you can go ahead and pay the $10 to park in a lot. Move to the suburbs already.


No mystery that I agree with everything you've written. I continue to worry, though, because to this day the new developments still seem to favor these vented parking garages as the base of the building. Even the mid-sized to smaller buildings, such as Warren@York. The York Street side of that building is just awful looking and isolating to the sidewalk streetscape.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 18:01
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#68
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4948
Offline
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If you truly believe there are plenty of parking spaces in this city since the population boom you either do not drive a car or you are doing what you do best... trolling!


There are spaces.. you just have to pay for them. How is paying for property that you use unfair?

No, there are not if you read my post below... there are no spaces to rent for a few hours in GV, Lincoln Park, The Heights, Bergen Hill, West Side and SGV the only areas that provide valet parking or hourly parking is Journal Square and DTJC.


Except the complainers like you just want to add more parking to Journal Square and DJTC, the only places where major new construction is happening where more spaces could be mandated. So, what's your point?

U can suck on my meat and then learn to read dumb ass.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 17:52
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#67
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 19:58
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 175
Offline
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
This "property" argument is kind of silly. I like to sit at those tables in Grove Plaza and eat lunch. Should I pay rent? I also take my dog to the dog run at VVP - should he kick in a few bucks? I warn you, Henry is a notoriously bad tipper.

Cities provide public services like streets, stoplights, fire departments. And yeah, parking. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be some permits required to keep commuters from grabbing the free spots, or that people who want free parking shouldn't have to search for it, but this argument that street parking should be sold to the highest bidder is kind of dumb.


We provide services because they are good for the public. A fire department is good for everyone. A police department is good for everyone. A park is good for everyone. But parking spaces? It's an outdated perspective to say that parking is good for everyone. Most cities should be discouraging driving and car ownership, not encouraging it. I mean, by that argument, why doesn't the city provide free food for everyone, or free housing, or other services? Surely food and housing are more essential than parking.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 17:48
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#66
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 19:58
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 175
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If you truly believe there are plenty of parking spaces in this city since the population boom you either do not drive a car or you are doing what you do best... trolling!


There are spaces.. you just have to pay for them. How is paying for property that you use unfair?

No, there are not if you read my post below... there are no spaces to rent for a few hours in GV, Lincoln Park, The Heights, Bergen Hill, West Side and SGV the only areas that provide valet parking or hourly parking is Journal Square and DTJC.


Except the complainers like you just want to add more parking to Journal Square and DJTC, the only places where major new construction is happening where more spaces could be mandated. So, what's your point?

Posted on: 2014/9/12 17:45
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#65
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 19:58
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 175
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
... Cities provide public services like streets, stoplights, fire departments. And yeah, parking. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be some permits required to keep commuters from grabbing the free spots, or that people who want free parking shouldn't have to search for it, but this argument that street parking should be sold to the highest bidder is kind of dumb.


They shouldn't be sold to the highest bidder--some subsidization is fair and no doubt necessary for a functioning economy and society in a still-car-centric state.

But they shouldn't be free (or 1% of true value) either. Unlike firefighting or dog runs, street parking is a commodity for which demand exceeds supply; charging a higher fee can reduce that demand, making it easier to obtain for people who need it most. And reducing that demand also carries myriad other benefits to the city, from less pollution to less road wear and less competition for driving space.


I think many people are improperly conflating the concept of "permanent" parking for residents (whether in a garage or on the street) with "temporary" parking you'd need if you were driving to a store and needed to park your car.

Seems like most people agree that free "permanent" parking is not some absolute right. You either get a permanent spot as part of buying your residence, you pay for a garage, or you drive around every night looking for street parking.

But the problem seems to be the lack of temporary parking if you needed to drive somewhere. Seems like some say there is nowhere near enough parking and more spaces must be added while others think there's plenty of temporary parking. Might want to focus the discussion on that, because I agree that cities should be required to provide enough temporary parking spots to accommodate most. Shouldn't have to drive around 20 min looking for a spot if you need to drive somewhere.


Depends where. We shouldn't be encouraging anyone to drive anywhere in downtown. There's plenty of public transit for that.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 17:43
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#64
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 19:58
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 175
Offline
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The Mayor via the Planning Dept of Hoboken and even JC is at fault for parking issues - Planning should have mandated with every building permit (especially multi-level high rise apartments] that they must provide for off-street parking with a percentage for visitors to their buildings.

Hoboken and JC should have also mandated with permits that multi level buildings also provide off-street parking for courier and parcel deliveries to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow.



They DO, and they are REQUIRED to do so. Those parking garages sit empty because people feel entitled to their free or near-free subsidized street parking. Guess what! The rest of us shouldn't have to pay for YOUR car, moochers! Buck up the $150/month to park your car in a garage. There's plenty of space.


I agree, all newer multi-level buildings should not be given parking permits and only those 'older' buildings with no off-street parking be provided with parking permits (with conditions).
I also believe that the space in front of your property is the amount of parking permits that property receives.
The only remedy I can think of, is to create more permit zones to on street parking.


Why do the long-term residents get special treatment? Maybe we should get rid of all parking permits and abolish subsidized on-street parking entirely. Every street could have a nice green strip on the edges instead!

(Obvious hyperbole, though on-street parking should be reduced or eliminated in a lot of places, but there's no reason to discriminate against residents of new buildings--whether you live in a new building or not shouldn't determine whether you can get a parking permit.)

Posted on: 2014/9/12 17:41
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#63
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2894
Offline
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
... Cities provide public services like streets, stoplights, fire departments. And yeah, parking. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be some permits required to keep commuters from grabbing the free spots, or that people who want free parking shouldn't have to search for it, but this argument that street parking should be sold to the highest bidder is kind of dumb.


They shouldn't be sold to the highest bidder--some subsidization is fair and no doubt necessary for a functioning economy and society in a still-car-centric state.

But they shouldn't be free (or 1% of true value) either. Unlike firefighting or dog runs, street parking is a commodity for which demand exceeds supply; charging a higher fee can reduce that demand, making it easier to obtain for people who need it most. And reducing that demand also carries myriad other benefits to the city, from less pollution to less road wear and less competition for driving space.


I think many people are improperly conflating the concept of "permanent" parking for residents (whether in a garage or on the street) with "temporary" parking you'd need if you were driving to a store and needed to park your car.

Seems like most people agree that free "permanent" parking is not some absolute right. You either get a permanent spot as part of buying your residence, you pay for a garage, or you drive around every night looking for street parking.

But the problem seems to be the lack of temporary parking if you needed to drive somewhere. Seems like some say there is nowhere near enough parking and more spaces must be added while others think there's plenty of temporary parking. Might want to focus the discussion on that, because I agree that cities should be required to provide enough temporary parking spots to accommodate most. Shouldn't have to drive around 20 min looking for a spot if you need to drive somewhere.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 17:29
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#62
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/4/22 4:43
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 419
Offline
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
... Cities provide public services like streets, stoplights, fire departments. And yeah, parking. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be some permits required to keep commuters from grabbing the free spots, or that people who want free parking shouldn't have to search for it, but this argument that street parking should be sold to the highest bidder is kind of dumb.


They shouldn't be sold to the highest bidder--some subsidization is fair and no doubt necessary for a functioning economy and society in a still-car-centric state.

But they shouldn't be free (or 1% of true value) either. Unlike firefighting or dog runs, street parking is a commodity for which demand exceeds supply; charging a higher fee can reduce that demand, making it easier to obtain for people who need it most. And reducing that demand also carries myriad other benefits to the city, from less pollution to less road wear and less competition for driving space.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 16:22
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#61
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/15 21:43
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I am genuinely curious: where do you drive to find better nightlife? Montclair? Secaucus?


I'll tell you what city in NJ has a kicking nightlife that totally blew me away, Morristown (BECAUSE it was totally unexpected being in what i view as the burbs).


Morristown is great. That theater has the best programming (you listening, Loews?)

what I love most about it is that's it's so easy to get to by train.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:36
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/9/19 17:59
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 452
Offline
This "property" argument is kind of silly. I like to sit at those tables in Grove Plaza and eat lunch. Should I pay rent? I also take my dog to the dog run at VVP - should he kick in a few bucks? I warn you, Henry is a notoriously bad tipper.

Cities provide public services like streets, stoplights, fire departments. And yeah, parking. It doesn't mean there shouldn't be some permits required to keep commuters from grabbing the free spots, or that people who want free parking shouldn't have to search for it, but this argument that street parking should be sold to the highest bidder is kind of dumb.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:33
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4948
Offline
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If you truly believe there are plenty of parking spaces in this city since the population boom you either do not drive a car or you are doing what you do best... trolling!


There are spaces.. you just have to pay for them. How is paying for property that you use unfair?

No, there are not if you read my post below... there are no spaces to rent for a few hours in GV, Lincoln Park, The Heights, Bergen Hill, West Side and SGV the only areas that provide valet parking or hourly parking is Journal Square and DTJC.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:30
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1761
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If you truly believe there are plenty of parking spaces in this city since the population boom you either do not drive a car or you are doing what you do best... trolling!


There are spaces.. you just have to pay for them. How is paying for property that you use unfair?

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:24
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#57
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/2/10 19:50
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 134
Offline
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
Another young driver chiming in - I need a car, as I work further out in NJ, and a 20 minute commute via car becomes a 1.5 hour commute on public transportation.

Since I don't live in a luxury building with a dedicated garage, my options are pay for a dedicated park in a surface lot or try my hand at the crap-shoot that is street parking. Life's too short to drive around the block a half-dozen time a night, so I rent a spot in a surface lot.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand this argument. If you have to have a car in JC (which is, in fact, a city), then you either need to pay for dedicated parking or park on the street. While it would be nice for every new apartment /condo unit to have 1.5 dedicated parking spots, that is unreasonable (given that developable land is at a premium).

Some new residents aren't going to drive, and some are. Those that do drive are going to make parking tighter for everyone else. No one has the right to an available parking spot on their block. Increased density is going to make the fact that free street parking isn't a right all that more obvious.


This is the most sensible post here. I don't own a car and don't need a car but I'm not saying nobody should be able to own a car here. By owning a car in a dense city, though, they should understand some inconveniences will come with it.

Just like any other city street parking is hard to find. So you have the option: Either deal with having to drive around until you find a spot which is potentially several blocks away but is free, or decide to pay for the convenience of a reserved spot.

The only people who give a rat's ass about this parking (non)issue are the Yvonnes of the world who want time to stand still just so they can have their free parking spot forever and ever. Cities always have and always will be evolving. Get over it.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:23
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/18 2:57
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 701
Offline
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
I am genuinely curious: where do you drive to find better nightlife? Montclair? Secaucus?


I'll tell you what city in NJ has a kicking nightlife that totally blew me away, Morristown (BECAUSE it was totally unexpected being in what i view as the burbs).

Posted on: 2014/9/12 14:22
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4948
Offline
If you truly believe there are plenty of parking spaces in this city since the population boom you either do not drive a car or you are doing what you do best... trolling!

Posted on: 2014/9/12 13:47
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1761
Offline
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Our city's transportation system is not adequate for someone to be car free. Until then, the city should require developers to provide adequate parking spaces for not only residents but their visitors as well.


Nonsense, there's plenty of parking available in JC.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 1:01
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
Unless this city has a continuous turn-over of single dwellers, the problem will only get worse as single dwellers get married and start families and don't chose to move away - which they shouldn't have to with a well managed parking and traffic plan by city officials.

I know of no family with children of school age that don't have a car living downtown

Posted on: 2014/9/12 0:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/4/11 2:51
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 440
Offline
Our city's transportation system is not adequate for someone to be car free. Until then, the city should require developers to provide adequate parking spaces for not only residents but their visitors as well.

Posted on: 2014/9/12 0:29
ಠ_ಠ
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The more zone parkings the more we harm visitors. I hear horror stories of people paying their respects to deceased family members then have they cars booted. I do not agree there are available parking spaces. The city is 14 square miles, so don't point to an area that might be 3 or more miles from my destination.


A scheme of visitors permits is needed for every valid permanent permit. The problem with visitors permits is that residents then try to make money from them by selling or renting out those permits.

The planning dept should put conditions on developers that all off street parking must be provided to be granted a building permit and that any apartment must be given a parking spot without incurring an extra cost, but rather it must be a combined cost for rental or sales of their apartments - Meaning it would be illegal to subdivide a parking spot and an apartment in their complex

Posted on: 2014/9/12 0:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1889
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I disagree with the idea there are too many cars, it is the fact that new development in the past required a parking spot for each unit. That requirement is relaxed so we have more development without planned parking. It is the city that is creating the problem. They erroneously believe people will give up their cars.

You can disagree. But that only makes you wrong.

I understand you want to stick with what worked when you were a kid, but times change. Get with the times or get out. Right now, you?re only a speed bump in the way of progress.

Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
Another young driver chiming in - I need a car, as I work further out in NJ, and a 20 minute commute via car becomes a 1.5 hour commute on public transportation.

Since I don't live in a luxury building with a dedicated garage, my options are pay for a dedicated park in a surface lot or try my hand at the crap-shoot that is street parking. Life's too short to drive around the block a half-dozen time a night, so I rent a spot in a surface lot.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand this argument. If you have to have a car in JC (which is, in fact, a city), then you either need to pay for dedicated parking or park on the street. While it would be nice for every new apartment /condo unit to have 1.5 dedicated parking spots, that is unreasonable (given that developable land is at a premium).

Some new residents aren't going to drive, and some are. Those that do drive are going to make parking tighter for everyone else. No one has the right to an available parking spot on their block. Increased density is going to make the fact that free street parking isn't a right all that more obvious.

Right and nobody is saying that you shouldn?t be allowed to park your car. What people are pointing out is that your ?right to free parking? isn?t real. Parking is property, which is at a premium. If you?d like to use it, then you have to pay for it.

By increasing fees, only those that truly need a car will pay. Those that don?t won?t.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I could care less as to how much it costs to park on the street. I am arguing against 2 things

1) The stupid opinion here that younger individuals will not want to have a car while living in JC and cite stats that show people do not want/need a car in NYC. JC is not NYC - it is not midtown, it is not the upper west side, it is not even brooklyn but dtjc may come close. Let's just be real here.

2) The opposition to new buildings having parking spaces. Units with spaces cost about 10% more - the demand is there. Let the free market work please...

People are moving away from the car more and more. It?s just a fact. As the city becomes more urban and there are more options, the dependence upon the automobile will decrease even further.

The reality is the demand isn?t there. Lots of the existing parking decks remain empty and unused. It?s great in theory to clamor for parking, but it is just not a necessity.

Just as you say that you?ll pay the $10 Holland Tunnel cost and the $40 parking cost just to hang out for an evening in certain parts of Manhattan. Well, if you want to keep the car, that?s fine. You?ll just pay a luxury for it. If you?re fine with that, then no biggie. If you want to continue having free parking, that is where we differ.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Btw, costs approximately does not equal NYC. The number of nightlife options/restaurants/lounges in those areas you mentioned is much greater than JC - even DTJC.

And if you live in the upper east side, you have relatively quick connection to all parts of NYC via MTA. We have connection via PATH - again the worst transit system in the world.

Finally, if you live in any part of NYC and think the neighborhood is boring it is probably because you are boring.

You are wrong if you think the Upper East Side and Upper West Side have the same amount of options. I spent a lot of time up there at friends? places and the options grow stale just as quickly. You have to get on the subway and ride it to another area.

While you may not like the PATH, and I agree that they do tend to screw us, it is an option for getting in and out of NYC, which I?ve used quite frequently. You have an alternative to the car, which you choose to not use.

Finally? sure. I guess. Whatever. To you, every inch of NYC is exciting. I?m not sure why you aren?t living in Staten Island then?

Quote:

denised wrote:
I also want to make the point that not everyone with a car here is using it as a luxury. I'm from nj, have a master's degree, and a license in this state to practice my profession. My boyfriend, when I met him, was living in Astoria and working in manhattan. I tried commuting to nj from Astoria for work for four months and had to give it up because it was too many hours commuting per day. My professional license prevents me from working in nyc. So I am working here and he is working there. Jersey city is our compromise. I work in Bergen county which is not easily accessible through public transportation so I have a car. It's not an item I only using on weekends or keep because I'm fancy. I use it daily and this is the only way our life together works.

Not for nothing, but? Owning a car absolutely is a luxury. You may depend upon your vehicle for easier transportation, but owning the vehicle is not an absolute right.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 23:48
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#49
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/8/5 0:18
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 51
Offline
I also want to make the point that not everyone with a car here is using it as a luxury. I'm from nj, have a master's degree, and a license in this state to practice my profession. My boyfriend, when I met him, was living in Astoria and working in manhattan. I tried commuting to nj from Astoria for work for four months and had to give it up because it was too many hours commuting per day. My professional license prevents me from working in nyc. So I am working here and he is working there. Jersey city is our compromise. I work in Bergen county which is not easily accessible through public transportation so I have a car. It's not an item I only using on weekends or keep because I'm fancy. I use it daily and this is the only way our life together works.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 22:30
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#48
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Btw, costs approximately does not equal NYC. The number of nightlife options/restaurants/lounges in those areas you mentioned is much greater than JC - even DTJC.

And if you live in the upper east side, you have relatively quick connection to all parts of NYC via MTA. We have connection via PATH - again the worst transit system in the world.

Finally, if you live in any part of NYC and think the neighborhood is boring it is probably because you are boring.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 21:20
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I'm relatively young and I would want a dedicated parking spot. Also, when I looked for condo units, I ruled out any building without a dedicated space.

Rationale? In NYC, I would live without a car. In JC, even the best part of JC - dtjc, there is not enough nightlife and/or restaurant options for me to live without a car. DTJC is not NYC and the heights and journal square, although not a war zone like BL and Greenville, is definitely less happening than DTJC.

If I had no car, again - where would I hang out? CH Martin, Morlees - maybe rainbow? please.

Finally although dtjc does have a connection to NYC - it is unreliable. The PATH is the worst transit system ever created and on nights when I do not want to wait 40 minutes with drunk people vying for a space on a path train back to NJ, I drive in and pay the 40 bucks to park my car. It's worth it


If you lived in many of the residential areas of Manhattan that could provide costs approximating DTJC, such as the upper west side or upper east side, you?d find that the area you live in is quite boring as well. Every area has ?limited options in walking distance.? Thus, you would need to travel to other parts of Manhattan to get your entertainment.

As you state, you pay $40 bucks to park your car in NYC for evening. Well, I don?t see a reason why it can?t cost more than that for a month?s parking permit in JC.

Nobody is saying you can?t have the car. They are simply pointing out that it should cost more than a dollar a month to park on the street.


I could care less as to how much it costs to park on the street. I am arguing against 2 things

1) The stupid opinion here that younger individuals will not want to have a car while living in JC and cite stats that show people do not want/need a car in NYC. JC is not NYC - it is not midtown, it is not the upper west side, it is not even brooklyn but dtjc may come close. Let's just be real here.

2) The opposition to new buildings having parking spaces. Units with spaces cost about 10% more - the demand is there. Let the free market work please...

Posted on: 2014/9/11 21:15
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/15 21:43
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
In NYC, I would live without a car. In JC, even the best part of JC - dtjc, there is not enough nightlife and/or restaurant options for me to live without a car. DTJC is not NYC and the heights and journal square, although not a war zone like BL and Greenville, is definitely less happening than DTJC.

If I had no car, again - where would I hang out? CH Martin, Morlees - maybe rainbow? please.


I am genuinely curious: where do you drive to find better nightlife? Montclair? Secaucus?

Posted on: 2014/9/11 21:14
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#45
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/29 21:35
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 82
Offline
Another young driver chiming in - I need a car, as I work further out in NJ, and a 20 minute commute via car becomes a 1.5 hour commute on public transportation.

Since I don't live in a luxury building with a dedicated garage, my options are pay for a dedicated park in a surface lot or try my hand at the crap-shoot that is street parking. Life's too short to drive around the block a half-dozen time a night, so I rent a spot in a surface lot.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand this argument. If you have to have a car in JC (which is, in fact, a city), then you either need to pay for dedicated parking or park on the street. While it would be nice for every new apartment /condo unit to have 1.5 dedicated parking spots, that is unreasonable (given that developable land is at a premium).

Some new residents aren't going to drive, and some are. Those that do drive are going to make parking tighter for everyone else. No one has the right to an available parking spot on their block. Increased density is going to make the fact that free street parking isn't a right all that more obvious.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 20:57
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
2/3 0:50
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5131
Offline
I disagree with the idea there are too many cars, it is the fact that new development in the past required a parking spot for each unit. That requirement is relaxed so we have more development without planned parking. It is the city that is creating the problem. They erroneously believe people will give up their cars.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 20:54
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/17 13:37
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 434
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Are people saying that renters and owners of new construction should not have the same rights to street parking as other residents?


No they're saying if an area that held a residential building that held 6 people is demolished and can now hold 20, that they should find a way to provide parking for natural increase of cars.


This assumes the people who lived there before had a right to free street parking. But why?

JC has plenty of parking spots in existing parking lots. It doesn't need more lots.


Population density. Before street parking wasn't horrible, but when you start cramming more and more people on the same area it changes the amount of parking needed.

Why fight it? It attracts more people to the area.


Exactly. Some people seem to think that everyone wants to ride a bike, works in Manhattan and are aging backwards. The bigger buildings are required to offer parking but all of them tag an extra fee of $200 or more. So now all those residents are parking on the street and they're getting more and more crowded. The parking in those larger buildings should be free to the residents.


I believe it is free to the owners of apartments. But not to renters. There's the catch.


Wrong. Residents AND guests must pay for parking in all buildings. Some lots may have discounted rates for residents, and possibly for monthly renters, and some other lots may even have deeded parking spots that you can buy when you buy a unit.


I meant deeded. Ours is deeded. If you lease from this owner building (no rental companies you must lease from an owner) you can park in the parking lot for free. It's including in the rent.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 20:49
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1889
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The problem with Jersey City as a whole if we can step outside of dtjc just for a moment. There is no where to park anywhere most times of the day throughout the city excluding 440.

I was visiting friends in The Heights near Pershing Field and it took about 15-20 min to find parking around 7 PM on a Saturday evening, but there was no option for garage parking... I had dinner a week ago @ Laico's and could not find parking and their valet parking was full, again no option for parking in a garage.

I think there should be more garages and parking-lots through our city, where there is no lightrail or PATH connecting you to that part of the city. Street parking is really getting harder, but we have no options around the city and most garages are connected to some building dtjc.

If you are not in denial and have been around the city, then you know there are a lot of cars in this city but not a lot of places to put them.

The issue isn?t a lack of parking. The issue is that there are too many cars. I assume you?ve visited these friends before. If so, then you likely knew the expected problem with parking. Why not just take a cab or Uber?

Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Not to get all Yvonne-like, but there are lots of people in this city for whom ANY increase in the parking fee would be a hardship. This is a situation that will resolve itself - younger arrivals won't need/want cars, other people will start to realize the hassles outweigh the value of having one and arrange their lives accordingly. But for the forseeable future, a bunch of people need their cars for work or family reasons.

If there is an increase in fee for parking, then those that can?t afford will sort out a new location to live where they can afford it or they will figure out how to live without the car.

In all seriousness, if someone works in Manhattan and lives in JC, they do not need a car for work. Thus, the existence of the car is merely a luxury that they should be paying a premium for.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Since my name is mention, I want to say a couple just sold or rent their condo on Barrow and York. Both had cars and spend hours looking for parking. Their jobs required cars in which they had to report to work at different times. Personally, it is wrong to build new and not provide parking. 68 Erie, a new development with an abatement will have 12 units without parking so residents in that area will be impacted by 6 to 12 new cars fighting for parking spaces.

Good luck to your friends. They clearly feel that having a car is more important than living in JC.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I'm relatively young and I would want a dedicated parking spot. Also, when I looked for condo units, I ruled out any building without a dedicated space.

Rationale? In NYC, I would live without a car. In JC, even the best part of JC - dtjc, there is not enough nightlife and/or restaurant options for me to live without a car. DTJC is not NYC and the heights and journal square, although not a war zone like BL and Greenville, is definitely less happening than DTJC.

If I had no car, again - where would I hang out? CH Martin, Morlees - maybe rainbow? please.

Finally although dtjc does have a connection to NYC - it is unreliable. The PATH is the worst transit system ever created and on nights when I do not want to wait 40 minutes with drunk people vying for a space on a path train back to NJ, I drive in and pay the 40 bucks to park my car. It's worth it


If you lived in many of the residential areas of Manhattan that could provide costs approximating DTJC, such as the upper west side or upper east side, you?d find that the area you live in is quite boring as well. Every area has ?limited options in walking distance.? Thus, you would need to travel to other parts of Manhattan to get your entertainment.

As you state, you pay $40 bucks to park your car in NYC for evening. Well, I don?t see a reason why it can?t cost more than that for a month?s parking permit in JC.

Nobody is saying you can?t have the car. They are simply pointing out that it should cost more than a dollar a month to park on the street.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 20:41
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Isn't enough space' on street, so park in garages
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/19 4:04
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 996
Offline
I'm relatively young and I would want a dedicated parking spot. Also, when I looked for condo units, I ruled out any building without a dedicated space.

Rationale? In NYC, I would live without a car. In JC, even the best part of JC - dtjc, there is not enough nightlife and/or restaurant options for me to live without a car. DTJC is not NYC and the heights and journal square, although not a war zone like BL and Greenville, is definitely less happening than DTJC.

If I had no car, again - where would I hang out? CH Martin, Morlees - maybe rainbow? please.

Finally although dtjc does have a connection to NYC - it is unreliable. The PATH is the worst transit system ever created and on nights when I do not want to wait 40 minutes with drunk people vying for a space on a path train back to NJ, I drive in and pay the 40 bucks to park my car. It's worth it

Posted on: 2014/9/11 20:17
 Top 




(1) 2 3 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017