Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Trees getting removed all over Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Looking at http://www.tree-care.info/advice/pruning/types I would call it "crown reduction" rather than pollarding. They did not cut the branches all the way back.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
The pruning technique on Monmouth appears to be pollarding. Don't know how well that works with Bradford pear. It's often done with plane trees.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is really an over-dependence on the London Plane trees, there are so many that if a disease ever strikes them the parks and roads will be bereft of trees.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
red maples, flowering plums, hornbeams are also all OK, and of course there are tons of sycamores, oaks and silver maples around Hamilton Park as well.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Are there any city ordinances or policies on types of new tree that can be planted?

Somewhere in my apartment I have a copy of the zoning regs (from 10 years ago) that has a section that lists the type of trees allowed. I do recall that cherry trees (the non-edible kind) are allowed. I think ginkgos are as well as long as the trees are all male. The female ones leave seeds that smell like carrion when you step on them.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I drive down this block of Monmouth every day. They did not split the trees but rather took large sections off the ends of each branch. Probably has the same effect - i.e. lessen the strain from heavy limbs that would eventually pull the trunks apart. I agree they look pretty ugly right now with the branches lopped off but I am sure they will look fine come spring when they grow new foliage and twigs. The foliage will probably be denser and more attractive this way, since the same energy will be concentrated on less area. I'm not an arborist but I'm leaving open the possibility that it was in fact a professional job - uncharacteristic for JC as that would be.

Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
The trees on that block of Monmouth are Bradford Pear trees. They are weak trees that cannot handle much stress. In fact, looking at my storm damage pics from Sandy and Irene, every downed tree I found in Harsimus Cove/Hamilton Park was a Bradford Pear. I haven't been down Monmouth Street to inspect, but I'd bet the trees were "split" to even the load. Those things can tumble down in a stiff breeze if the load is unbalanced. Once popular street trees, they're no longer in JC's catalog of street trees for this reason.

From wikipedia: "The neat, dense upward growth of 'Bradford' ? which made it desirable in cramped urban spaces ? also results in a multitude of narrow, weak forks, unless corrected by selective pruning at an early stage. These weak crotches make the Bradford Pear very susceptible to storm damage where snowfall is heavy or when ice storms occur, or during the high winds of severe thunderstorms. Because of this, and the resulting relatively short life span (typically less than 25 years), many groups have discouraged further planting of 'Bradford'"

Posted on: 2013/1/4 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Are there any city ordinances or policies on types of new tree that can be planted? I don't see a great deal of sense on planting trees that grow large enough to rip up sidewalks and have branches fall on power lines.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOL, sorry I started a war.

I actually didn't see TOO many damaged trees after Sandy. And the two that I recently saw were cut down on Monmouth Street looked OK to me pre-removal.

Whatever the reason is for removing all these trees, I really hope that they get replaced with SOMETHING green and leafy.

Some blocks look so awful and barren without trees, it's amazing to me.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Power lines will sometimes get knocked down. Let's get rid of electricity.

This just in: sometimes cars will crash. Next step, let's ban cars.

OMG sewers can overflow. Let's go back to chamber pots.

Did you know you might get food poisoning from eating? We should stop eating food.

So having tall trees in front of someones house is comparable to eating? If you were any more retarded, forrest gump would be tutoring you.

There is no purpose of having these massive trees beyond superficial reasons.....There are very good reasons for eating, sewers, and cars.

Once more your attempts at having an opinion are just more examples of uninformed ignorance.

Here is some sample literature:

http://www.milliontreesnyc.org/html/u ... ban_forest_benefits.shtml

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/publications/urban.html

http://www.seattle.gov/trees/benefits.htm

so my argument to not have MASSIVE TREES IN FRONT OF HOUSES is the same as me wanting to get rid of forests and parks?

No, I don't need links to show me the benefits of trees...but it seems you do need a lesson on common sense. I suggest you start very basic with sesame street for example:

http://www.sesamestreet.org/

Posted on: 2013/1/4 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Did you know you might get food poisoning from eating? We should stop eating food.

So having tall trees in front of someones house is comparable to eating? If you were any more retarded, forrest gump would be tutoring you.

There is no purpose of having these massive trees beyond superficial reasons.....There are very good reasons for eating, sewers, and cars.

Once more your attempts at having an opinion are just more examples of uninformed ignorance.

Here is some sample literature:

http://www.milliontreesnyc.org/html/u ... ban_forest_benefits.shtml

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/publications/urban.html

http://www.seattle.gov/trees/benefits.htm

Posted on: 2013/1/4 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

As ALWAYS ian, you raise good points. I now withdraw my observation that high winds can down trees onto homes....

Why would I ever question the logic of your great mind...

Although you are correct that high winds can down trees onto homes, I have to agree with Ianma: You do have a way of coming across like an idiot most times.

Why? Because I state the majority opinion? Because most of the things I say are based on facts and stats?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

As ALWAYS ian, you raise good points. I now withdraw my observation that high winds can down trees onto homes....

Although you are correct that high winds can down trees onto homes, I have to agree with Ianma: You do have a way of coming across like an idiot most times.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have lived in the V V P area for almost 7 years, and the neighborhood has seen a drastic net loss of trees in that timeframe. I just saw 2 trees full removed on Mercer Street near Barrow Street.

It really sucks to see all these trees removed. Lots of trees is generally what makes a nice block look nice. I'm not sure if those two on Mercer Street were from the hurricane, but as of a week or two ago they seemed fine to me!

I wholeheartedly disagree. If Sandy taught us anything, is that trees too close to homes is dangerous. IMHO, there shouldn't be these large towering trees over houses. Plant SHRUBS and constantly tear down those trees that are waay tall.

If you had to pick between a picturesque street or a street with intact homes - which one would you choose?

A tree almost fell on my mothers home during the storm and I am glad it is now torn down. good riddance
so long as the trees are healthy and strong, there's no danger

Posted on: 2013/1/4 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
The trees on that block of Monmouth are Bradford Pear trees. They are weak trees that cannot handle much stress. In fact, looking at my storm damage pics from Sandy and Irene, every downed tree I found in Harsimus Cove/Hamilton Park was a Bradford Pear. I haven't been down Monmouth Street to inspect, but I'd bet the trees were "split" to even the load. Those things can tumble down in a stiff breeze if the load is unbalanced. Once popular street trees, they're no longer in JC's catalog of street trees for this reason.

From wikipedia: "The neat, dense upward growth of 'Bradford' ? which made it desirable in cramped urban spaces ? also results in a multitude of narrow, weak forks, unless corrected by selective pruning at an early stage. These weak crotches make the Bradford Pear very susceptible to storm damage where snowfall is heavy or when ice storms occur, or during the high winds of severe thunderstorms. Because of this, and the resulting relatively short life span (typically less than 25 years), many groups have discouraged further planting of 'Bradford'"

Posted on: 2013/1/4 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
You want to see some nice tree pruning - head north on Monmouth until you get to Christopher Columbus and look at the travesty that was made of an entire block's worth of trees between CC and Newark. It's so bad that the trees should have been torn down....

Posted on: 2013/1/4 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Greenville has its problems crime, poverty, etc.. but here is a peek at some of the blocks in my hood, Part of GV charm are its tree line streets. Save the trees!

Posted on: 2013/1/3 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have lived in the V V P area for almost 7 years, and the neighborhood has seen a drastic net loss of trees in that timeframe. I just saw 2 trees full removed on Mercer Street near Barrow Street.

It really sucks to see all these trees removed. Lots of trees is generally what makes a nice block look nice. I'm not sure if those two on Mercer Street were from the hurricane, but as of a week or two ago they seemed fine to me!

I wholeheartedly disagree. If Sandy taught us anything, is that trees too close to homes is dangerous. IMHO, there shouldn't be these large towering trees over houses. Plant SHRUBS and constantly tear down those trees that are waay tall.

If you had to pick between a picturesque street or a street with intact homes - which one would you choose?

A tree almost fell on my mothers home during the storm and I am glad it is now torn down. good riddance

Wow, literally not a single issue that you don't sound like an idiot when you make a comment.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Wow, literally not a single issue that you don't sound like an idiot when you make a comment.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/3 22:44

Trees getting removed all over Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/3 22:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017