Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Lincoln Park: Baby-sitter who drugged, drank & had sex with girlfriend while baby drowned gets jail
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
What about any number of CIA-led Central and South America coups?

That would support his argument because those coups we're engineered so that the U.S. could profit from those country's resources and cheap labor.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 0:39

Re: Lincoln Park: Baby-sitter who drugged, drank & had sex with girlfriend while baby drowned gets jail
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
Not to get off topic, but the US does not fight wars on ideological grounds, and ww2 was no exception.

Is that entirely true? Not trying to split hairs, but a "War on Terror" is rather ill-defined and somewhere between objective and ideological, no? The original cause of said war may have been precise and just (or not - I'm not taking a side) but it certainly has the potential to spiral into a crusade.

And what was Vietnam? Korea? What about any number of CIA-led Central and South America coups? Iran in the early 50's? Maybe those don't qualify as wars, but isn't that quibbling over packaging?

Posted on: 2010/7/12 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

the robot has made the inevitable leap to Hitler.

Godwin's Law - Wikipedia

Reductio ad Fonzierum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

Posted on: 2010/7/12 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
What ignoramuses like you don't realize is that your pop-nihilism (gleaned, I imagine, from a second-rate science education and vigorous masturbatory tussles on poor-man skeptics websites) is that it was the self-same arrogant (and barely thought out) nihilistic/utilitarian philosophies espoused by average persons such as yourself that, after sweeping the continent and Russia from the early 1800s on, paved the way for the state-centric and anti-human "science" dictatorships that arose in Germany and Russia.

Holy freakin' cow.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 16:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

the popular opinion that allowed the apotheosis of a death cult in the personage of Adolph Hitler, and the emergence of literal hell on earth.

Wow, an armchair historian complaining about an "armchair philosopher".
Its absurd To assert that the philosophy you described is the primary reason for Hitler's climb to power and the emergence of the Nazi party. In reality it was much more complicated than that.
You also described said philosophy as the reason we fought world war 2, which is an even more ridiculous supposition. Not to get off topic, but the US does not fight wars on ideological grounds, and ww2 was no exception.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/7/12 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
> robotjustin wrote:
> So, you can predict in every circumstance wen reviving
> someone might result in a life YOU deem "not worth
> living." We had a little war last century over just such
> a theory.

Eh? What war was that then?

Robin.

Godwin's Law - Wikipedia

It always amazes me that the self-proclaimed "brights," the positivists, utilitarians, nihilists, and science-fetishists, are the first to leap to the tired old rhetorical zombie of Godwin's Law, which, as usual, is an unfunny attempt to divert attention from a proper comparison by stating the equivalent of "there he goes, using the letter T again."

I'm further amazed that a person who doesn't know the difference between a drowned person (i.e., a corpse) and a near-drowned person (i.e., someone who isn't a corpse) is still fighting an argument they lost for themselves in their opening volley. You've contradicted yourself, cherry-picked my rebuttals, resorted to ad hominem, all in the effort to defend your completely indefensible opinion that all little children found in bathtubs and feared dead should be entrusted to the Nihil rather than take the chance that they might be revived. Again, this from a person who doesn't even know the difference between ALIVE and DEAD!

What ignoramuses like you don't realize is that your pop-nihilism (gleaned, I imagine, from a second-rate science education and vigorous masturbatory tussles on poor-man skeptics websites) is that it was the self-same arrogant (and barely thought out) nihilistic/utilitarian philosophies espoused by average persons such as yourself that, after sweeping the continent and Russia from the early 1800s on, paved the way for the state-centric and anti-human "science" dictatorships that arose in Germany and Russia. The anti-life "common knowledge" of the armchair philosopher was nothing more that the parroting of the much more complicated political propaganda of the feverish revolutionaries, and the end results are plain to history.

As for the German connection, as any moderately educated person knows, the death camp and the gas chamber were first prototyped, under the code name T4, on the weak, the infirm - the "worthless eater," "life not worth living," the disabled, the brain damaged, and the wards of state, before being used for the physical destruction of the Jews.

Do you deny, even now, that you'd rather they "let the poor darling die" than have her "burden the taxpayer with a life not worth living?"

You are a zombie, a mirror image of a not-clever-then parrot of a philosophy you count as fresh. Well, your "fresh" philosophy, supposed insight, and selfish compassion (an oxymoron that causes internal chaos in higher minds, but I'm sure not in yours) is nothing more than the recapitulation of the popular opinion that allowed the apotheosis of a death cult in the personage of Adolph Hitler, and the emergence of literal hell on earth.

But congratulate yourself on your good, common, sense. I'm sure it helps you sleep soundly at night.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
> robotjustin wrote:
> a theory.

Robin.

Godwin's Law - Wikipedia

Posted on: 2010/7/12 3:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have any kids but can I still hire two babysitters like this?

Posted on: 2010/7/11 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> a theory.

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:

Also, from wikipedia:

Children in particular have a good chance of survival in water up to 3 minutes, or 10 minutes in cold water

and bathwater is usually ice-cold. thanks for the research.

You really are a blind fool. Again, please stay away from any machines that have any human attached to them.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

May wrote:
...I do know that a medical professional (i know doctors and nurses and i am pretty sure EMS should be included) have taken the oath to do no harm. It is required by them to save a life to the best of their ability, failure to do so and they can become liable...

true. but I believe that reviving a dead person so that he/she can exist for decades attached to machines is indeed doing harm. juries disagree.

but I am by no means blaming the EMTs for doing their job. this tragedy occurred because of criminally negligent caregivers, and they should be charged with murder.

but because medical geniuses like robotjustin think a cure for this child is just around the corner, that little girl "lives," and her would-be-killers have gotten off with ridiculously light sentences.

So, you can predict in every circumstance wen reviving someone might result in a life YOU deem "not worth living." We had a little war last century over just such a theory.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

May wrote:
...I do know that a medical professional (i know doctors and nurses and i am pretty sure EMS should be included) have taken the oath to do no harm. It is required by them to save a life to the best of their ability, failure to do so and they can become liable...

true. but I believe that reviving a dead person so that he/she can exist for decades attached to machines is indeed doing harm. juries disagree.

but I am by no means blaming the EMTs for doing their job. this tragedy occurred because of criminally negligent caregivers, and they should be charged with murder.

but because medical geniuses like robotjustin think a cure for this child is just around the corner, that little girl "lives," and her would-be-killers have gotten off with ridiculously light sentences.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:

Also, from wikipedia:

Children in particular have a good chance of survival in water up to 3 minutes, or 10 minutes in cold water

and bathwater is usually ice-cold. thanks for the research.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 1:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
That is absolutely terrible and there is really no need to share that sort of sentiment.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 23:47
Come on and rock me Amadeus

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Some brain tissue in adults with Alzheimer's and other diseases. Not gonna help a baby in a vegetative state that can't see or hear.

More misinformation. There are doctors specifically working with victims of near-drowning, specifically in Germany.

Also, from wikipedia:

Drowning victims should be treated even if they have been submerged for a long time. The rule "no patient should be pronounced dead until warm and dead" applies. Children in particular have a good chance of survival in water up to 3 minutes, or 10 minutes in cold water (10 to 15 ?C or 50 to 60 ?F). Submersion in cold water can slow the metabolism drastically. There are rare but documented cases of survivable submersion for extreme lengths of time. In one case a child named Michelle Funk survived drowning after being submerged in cold water for 70 minutes. In another, an 18 year old man survived 38 minutes under water. This is known as cold water drowning.

Please, don't any of you work in the medical profession or as EMS.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

After 40 minutes of CPR, emergency medical technicians brought the child back to life, but she remains in a vegetative state.

this may sound horrible, but I'm going to ask it anyway: EMTs know full well that going that long without oxygen is going to leave a baby with significant brain damage. why do they work for nearly an hour to give a child a fraction of a life? do they really believe that a lifetime spent in a vegetative state is better than no life at all?

You're a heartless fool. I know firsthand that near-drowning is not a death-sentence, and that doctors are extremely optimistic that adult stem-cell treatments will be available in a few years that will regenerate brain tissue.

Keep your uninformed, idiotic opinions to yourself.

40+ minutes without oxygen is not a "near-drowning." It's a drowning.

Idiot.

drown |droun|
verb [ intrans. ]
die through submersion in and inhalation of water

The child lives, therefore, near-drowning.

Crack a dictionary much? Or are you claiming to define who is alive and who is dead?

Posted on: 2010/7/10 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
You're a heartless fool. I know firsthand that near-drowning is not a death-sentence, and that doctors are extremely optimistic that adult stem-cell treatments will be available in a few years that will regenerate brain tissue.

Some brain tissue in adults with Alzheimer's and other diseases. Not gonna help a baby in a vegetative state that can't see or hear.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 22:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
i don't know much about the future advances in medicine and the technicalities of near drowning vs drowning.
I do know that a medical professional (i know doctors and nurses and i am pretty sure EMS should be included) have taken the oath to do no harm. It is required by them to save a life to the best of their ability, failure to do so and they can become liable. The only way a med professional cannot resuscitate is if they have the DNR document.
Medical professional are ever so often faced with Beneficence vs. Non maleficence.
I am sure some medical professional take matters into their own hands like how Charles Cullen did.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
It took 3 sociopaths to kill that child.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

After 40 minutes of CPR, emergency medical technicians brought the child back to life, but she remains in a vegetative state.

this may sound horrible, but I'm going to ask it anyway: EMTs know full well that going that long without oxygen is going to leave a baby with significant brain damage. why do they work for nearly an hour to give a child a fraction of a life? do they really believe that a lifetime spent in a vegetative state is better than no life at all?

40+ minutes without oxygen is not a "near-drowning." It's a drowning.

Idiot.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

tell that to the vegetative kid.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/7/10 21:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I totally agree.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/7/10 18:09

Lincoln Park: Baby-sitter who drugged, drank & had sex with girlfriend while baby drowned gets jail
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Baby-sitter who drugged and drank while baby drowned in tub get prison time

Saturday, July 10, 2010
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City woman was sentenced to five years in prison yesterday after admitting to smoking marijuana, drinking vodka and having sex with a girlfriend while the 16-month-old girl she was baby-sitting nearly died in her bathtub last year.

"Every adult in the child's life failed her that day," said Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Steve Dill at the sentencing, adding that the victim will not recover.

Shanica Dyer, 23, of Nunda Avenue, did not address the court before being sentenced by Superior Court Judge Paul DePascale for endangering the welfare of a child. She faced up to seven years under the deal.

The baby's mother, Stacey Chapman, 25, of the same address, had pleaded guilty to child abuse by neglect and she was sentenced to two years probation by DePascale yesterday.

Dyer's girlfriend, Iris Rivera, 22, of Brooklyn, also pleaded guilty to endangering the welfare of a child. DePascale allowed Rivera to enter the pretrial intervention program and if she adheres to the rules of a period of supervised release, the charge can be removed from her record.

On June 10, 2009, Dyer called 911 saying the baby bumped her head in the tub and slipped under water for a few moments, Dill said. When EMTs arrived they found the baby unresponsive, and Rivera quickly admitted what happened, Dill said.

Dill said when Chapman brought the child upstairs to Dyer's apartment she smoked pot with the women and left. Rivera and Dyer then drank and smoked and Dyer admitted she left the baby in the bathtub while she and Rivera had sex in the bedroom, Dill said.

It was only when Dyer's 4-year-old son walked into the bedroom saying "Baby. Baby," that the women found the girl unresponsive, Dill said.

The bath water was running long enough for water to leak through the floor and puddle in Chapman's apartment below, Dill said. The doctors said the girl was under water for 10 minutes, he said.

The baby remains on a respirator, is unresponsive and cannot see or hear due to brain damage caused by lack of oxygen. She is now a ward of the Division of Youth and Family Services.

Dill said his office could file upgraded charges if the girl dies.

Posted on: 2010/7/10 15:43

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017