Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Rally at City Hall Wednesday, Jan 27?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I rather taxes increase and in return receive the necessary services that we expect provided by the city.

Come on, in this case it isn't at all about the amount of money. It is about how the current money is being spent. I grew up in a small city with 2/3 the property tax rate - it was and still is known to have the best schools in that state, there was virtually no crime, etc. They've been hit hard by the downturn, but they have done things like 4% salary decrease across the board, etc. Time for JC government to enter reality.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I rather taxes increase and in return receive the necessary services that we expect provided by the city.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, if anyone hears this being called a "tea party" stop that immediately... tea party groups are not what you want to be associated with... them be crazy!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
This has nothing to do with republicans or democrats. This has to do with thieves posing as politicians and stealing our money.

Whether you are a republican, democrat, independent, or communist, YOU need to step up to the plate and act.

The government of Jersey City is screwing us over! Enough is enough!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Let's not forget Healy's Captive Council. When do you see them working hard or making decisions for the benefit of the Jersey City residents. They are clearly lazy, self-serving and perhaps incompetent.
They could give a shit on how their decisions effect Jersey City, they treat City Hall like it's their own candy store.

These are the people making (bad) decisions for us.

Vega - Indicted, Arrogant, Ineffective, could care less about the JC residents.

Lopez - Tax fraud, still not sure she is truly a JC resident, she is also clueless

Donnelly - Appointed not elected by the people

Gaughan - Old, out of touch, he looks like he would rather be somewhere else that at the council meeting, perhaps at his million dollar home in Spring Lake. He made his money. could not care less about the JC Residents, unless it benefits him.

Brennan - He can never articulate why he is for or against something. He is so far up Healy's ass too always calling him our illustrious Mayor.

Sottolano - All he seems to do is babble on, never quite sure what he is trying say when speaking on an issue or item.

Richardson - Has she really done anything for the people in her Ward..does she ever come out about the crime problem in her ward. Not sure she is effective

Flood-CLUELESS

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
I agree with Dan that screaming and pointing fingers tonight isn't going to accomplish a whole lot, but c'mon Teacher!! We are supposed to beg Healy to care?? Essentially, to do his job?? The fact that that kind of thought floats around out there is indicative of the bigger problem - the beaten down electorate.

Jerremiah may sing a mean Johnny Cash and be the life of the party on March 17 or down at the shore, but if he isn't up to making the hard decisions during tough times, step aside and let someone else do it. It's called leadership.

As to the feds not removing him, who says they are finished?

Quote:

teacher wrote:
Its best to get Healy as an ally. Agitating him can only be counterproductive, at this stage of the game.
If the Feds did not remove then leave him alone.

Focus on the issues, and he might help you.
You get more with sugar than spite.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 18:10

Re: How angry? We'll know after Wednesday

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 21:17
Group:
Registered Users
I HOPE WE HAVE A CROWD IN THE THOUSANDS........ NO MORE TAX INCREASES..........

SEE YOU ALL THERE!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DickCheney wrote:
Looks like the Rally has hit one of the bigger time blogs:

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/92488/

By Insty referring to this gathering as a *Tea Party*, this movement has already been discredited.

Ready to be labeled as part of the extreme right wing?

Seems that if you don't like paying taxes, and try to do something about it, you're part of the *Tea Party*, thus, part of the extreme right wing, which in turn, makes you a nutjob.

But if you like paying taxes, you're planning for the future.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Teacher is a self-admitted conservative. Perhaps this is Teacher's way of suggesting we backing off, Healy ends up looks bad (as if he could look much worse) and have a better chance of a Republican in office.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Dan that screaming and pointing fingers tonight isn't going to accomplish a whole lot, but c'mon Teacher!! We are supposed to beg Healy to care?? Essentially, to do his job?? The fact that that kind of thought floats around out there is indicative of the bigger problem - the beaten down electorate.

Jerremiah may sing a mean Johnny Cash and be the life of the party on March 17 or down at the shore, but if he isn't up to making the hard decisions during tough times, step aside and let someone else do it. It's called leadership.

As to the feds not removing him, who says they are finished?

Quote:

teacher wrote:
Its best to get Healy as an ally. Agitating him can only be counterproductive, at this stage of the game.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
There is plenty of blame to go around but ultimately he is the one who allowed this to happen. As mayor he relied on bailouts from the governor and it is clear that will no longer happen. If no blame is put on him now, none will be put on him when he runs for re-election.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 15:55

Post rally flyers around city today!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/1 1:02
Group:
Registered Users
I put up rally flyers around JSQ this morning, and suggest others do the same (especially around city hall). Also, meeting attendees should bring signs to display inside to show the momentum behind this.

LOVE the anti-Healy poster. I'm not sure I agree with the comment below that we shouldn't alienate Healy. It's clear he enabled the corruption within his administration and benefited from the FBI sting/Dwek campaign cash -- or at least turned a blind eye to it.

Anyway, the biggest issue for me is the INSANE property tax hike and lack of accountability on the parts of our reps in city council. Our property taxes on a single family home in JC have gone up from less than $900/quarter to over $1400 for Q1 2010. That's around $2K in additional annual taxes since purchasing the home in 2001.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/1/27 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I can only suggest that for this evening to be constructive - hold back the blame of individuals and focus on the issues and what you want done.

There is certainly enough blame to go around, including the public that for the most part has not participated in public budget meetings (nor voted). Our budget problems did not begin with the current administration and council. We now need them to be open and responsive to work through this and put our city on sound footing going forward.

I especially enourage those who have never attended a council meeting before to attend and those who have never spoken before the council to speak up.

If you have not called the Clerk's Office yet, you can still call today, 201,547.5150 to add your name to the speakers list (at this late date, I suggest getting the name of the staff member you spoke with).

Quote:

stepanstas wrote:
I'll do my part.

If any of you have any ideas, I could try to make something by 6.

It's really made for 8.5 x 11 paper, black and white or color

Resized Image

Full Resolution:http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8346/46546266.png

Posted on: 2010/1/27 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
My best to everyone who goes to the rally. (I can't make it because I work nights.)

Give 'em hell!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I'll do my part.

If any of you have any ideas, I could try to make something by 6.

It's really made for 8.5 x 11 paper, black and white or color

Resized Image

Full Resolution:http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8346/46546266.png

Posted on: 2010/1/26 22:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/6 1:25
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be there hopefully we get a big angry crowd.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 22:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/1 1:02
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be attending in some fashion - either outside right before the meeting or inside at the meeting. And I agree with others that this isn't exactly a 'Tea Party' rally. All politics is local and this is all about the locals getting screwed for too long.

I'm going to post some rally signs around wtc and jsq path and also plan to bring some sort of sign to the meeting/rally.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 21:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/26 19:57
Group:
Registered Users
I cant do much, but I can make a poster, so here's a 8.5x11 poster for anybody to use with the basic info.

Please print at least five copies. Put one up in your building, one one your block, one on your way to work, one at your favorite store with permission, and one somewhere else.

Thank you!

Preview size:
Resized Image

Big version: http://i49.tinypic.com/352gqs3.jpg

And if you want another version, ask and you may receive.

Posted on: 2010/1/26 20:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/31 0:26
Group:
Registered Users

Within less than two weeks, we have managed to spread the word and unite.

This is just the first step.

Let's not stop hammering this message home, the City Council must hear us loud and clear.

Shakatah's mass tax appeal idea is an excellent one and something we should pursue and can work on from here.

The clock is ticking.

I urge everyone to attend the City Council meeting this Wednesday, January 27th, 6-8pm. Your presence alone can help each and every one of us. Tell your neighbors.

The rally outside prior to the meeting is only the prelude to what seems like an interesting evening.

Let the games begin.

Wednesday, January 27th
City Hall City Council Chambers
6-8pm

Posted on: 2010/1/26 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let's also keep in mind who are making decisions on behalf of the Jersey City residents on the City Council..

One of them has been Indicted by the FBI
Another one is a Tax Fraud
And one was appointed and not elected by people

They have no business voting on such items such as the Budget or anything else that effects the Jersey City Residents.

Wednesday, January 27th - City Hall - City Council Chambers
6-8pm - BE THERE!!!

Posted on: 2010/1/26 3:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Personally I wouldn't call this a Tea Party protest, it seems more; "We're MAD AS HELL AND NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE" spontaneous tax payer revolt.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 19:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like the Rally has hit one of the bigger time blogs:

http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/92488/

Posted on: 2010/1/25 18:41

How angry? We'll know after Wednesday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By The Jersey Journal
January 25, 2010, 12:01AM
A not so funny thing is happening in Jersey City. People are getting angry. The issue of how inept this governing administration has been is finally getting the average citizen's attention. They are realizing it because the issue is hitting many in their pockets.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy's management of city finances has been one of obfuscation for months, and an inability to do what is right.

The budget has been delayed in the hope of coming up with miracles to fill a more than $40 million gap -- most likely a conservative figure -- in its fiscal plan. Even a recent infusion of $14 million in state special fiscal aid will do little to alleviate the problem.

To secure the special assistance, the City Council hurried to introduce a $492 million budget before lame duck Gov. Jon S. Corzine left office. The fear was that incoming Gov. Chris Christie, who pledged to curb spending and lower property taxes, would put a halt to the aid.

As it stands, the city budget will mean the owner of a home assessed at $100,000 will see an $800 increase in taxes. City officials said they will make additional tax cuts.

The problem is that the city has to do more than just furlough city employees. It has to make major cuts. Eventually, there will have to be layoffs. By delaying pink slips, the Healy administration will be forced to fire more workers than necessary.

Meanwhile, property owners have been receiving their latest tax bills in the mail and they are not happy.

Then an unusual thing happened.

Esther Winter, a city resident since 1987, became angry enough to start suggesting on the Internet a tax protest rally before this Wednesday's City Council meeting at 6 p.m.
There has been a response to the call not by politicians but by average citizens. Other residents, including couples, have pledged to show up to show their displeasure.

Winter said: "I really have a feeling that things are just ripe right now," she said. "People have really had it and people start to find out that property taxes are going up again."

She said for what taxpayers are paying, there are no improvements in municipal services or the schools. The city resident has complained about the fear of crime in the streets.

Recently, the mayor has cut four fire companies and reduced the size of the arson unit to two people -- in New Jersey's second largest city.

"It's enough," she said.

The Jersey Journal agrees. This newspaper has been saying just that for a long time.

Although there has been little time for any protest rally to organize, it will still be interesting to see if there enough angry people in this city to answer the call. We will find out Wednesday.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc73 wrote:
Healy won by a landslide why because either you voted him in or not enough people came out to vote to put someone else in office.

Couldn't agree with you more, jc73 - turnout was atrocious. The fact that the mayor doesn't want to move elections to November (when turnout would likely be much greater) tells you everything you need to know about how the machine preys on ignorance and apathy.

Since there is no election in the near term, things like going to council meetings and giving voice to your anger are what we have to work with at the moment. It is out of these exercises, perhaps, that people begin to connect and organize and the groundwork is laid for the next election to once and for all oust the thugs who care about nothing but themselves.

Perhaps there is a track record of people showing up sporadically to voice disagreement with the council. The opportunity we have now is to attend several meetings in a row, while the budget is being amended, discussed, etc. - it will take several weeks before it is up for a final vote. If people continue to show up and speak out during this process, it should become harder and harder for the various components of our version of Mt. Rushmore to remain impassive to the opposition.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 23:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I dont think its going to matter how many people you bring they are going to do what they want. As long as people keep voting the same people back in office they dont care. All I see is complaing about the current city government but nobody does anything about it. Healy won by a landslide why because either you voted him in or not enough people came out to vote to put someone else in office.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
IF YOU ARE PISSED OFF AT HEALY AND HIS CAPTIVE COUNCIL THEN SHOW UP AT CITY HALL WEDNESDAY JANUARY 27TH 6PM - CITY HALL CHAMBERS! LET THEM KNOW!

IF THE RESIDENTS OF JERSY CITY DON'T RISE UP THEN HEALY AND HIS GANG WILL KEEP DOING WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS, HAVING TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THE JERSEY CITY RESIDENTS...IF YOU HAVE NOT FIGURED IT OUT BY NOW, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU! CITY HALL IS THEIR PLAYGROUND.

TEAM HEALY ARE ALL SELF SERVING!

Posted on: 2010/1/24 6:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/20 23:56
From Bergen/Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
To speak at the council meeting, call the City Clerk's office at (201) 547-5150 before Wednesday.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 15:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ms_Taggart wrote:
How about everyone commit to try to get 5 people to attend the council meeting? Then we have the network effect. Given the lack of time, I share concern doing it outside city hall ahead of time could actually be a flop. But we could at least bombard in council meeting.

Agreed.

We need to be in the council meeting.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
How about everyone commit to try to get 5 people to attend the council meeting? Then we have the network effect. Given the lack of time, I share concern doing it outside city hall ahead of time could actually be a flop. But we could at least bombard in council meeting.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 15:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We should all make an effort to be there. There hasn't been much time to plan something but we can make a start.

The clock is ticking.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 3:20

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017