Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

+1, Chief. Crushthedemoniac judges people by appearance, and by the lifestyle they enjoy. That is ignorance, in my opinion. The people that he is judging are likely less judgemental than he is. And that....is "ironic"

Yeah, because tommy never judges people based on appearance or lifestyle.

LOL.

Excuse me? You just linked to a post of mine in which I berated somebody for being judgemental. You sure you got the right post?

And in which you separated the world into two categories: PROFESSIONALS, and those collecting a check from the gub'mint.

He dosnt realize what he says sometimes you have to excuse him. Its ok to judge anyone else as long as its not a yuppie or hipster or whatever else.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

+1, Chief. Crushthedemoniac judges people by appearance, and by the lifestyle they enjoy. That is ignorance, in my opinion. The people that he is judging are likely less judgemental than he is. And that....is "ironic"

LOL.

Excuse me? You just linked to a post of mine in which I berated somebody for being judgemental. You sure you got the right post?

And in which you separated the world into two categories: PROFESSIONALS, and those collecting a check from the gub'mint.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 19:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

LOL.

hahahah +1000
Thx Iwitness!

Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
neverleft wrote: I think you all have it wrong?click on the link below for a truely ironic beard!!! yummy <-- click here from this truely ironic web site www.hairychin.net
Okay, if we're going to play THAT game! The one on the right is the lady, hows that for ironic beard? (Hedwig and the Angry Inch is all irony) Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

LOL.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I think you all have it wrong?click on the link below for a truely ironic beard!!! yummy <-- click here from this truely ironic web site www.hairychin.net

Posted on: 2009/11/13 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

LOL.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
The OP is obviously a troll and posted with the intent of starting an arguement.

crushthewhateveryournameis- Do you post anything other than bashes against so called yuppies/hipsters/people that make more money than you? I just want to know because all you seem to do is bitch and moan about how much you hate Hoboken and people that YOU feel represent Hoboken. Your SH!T is tired... get a new story. The rest of us are tired of listening to you bitch. You make broad generalizations about people based on their appearance. You are no better than the people that your are bashing.

I'm sure your going to call me out now and blah blah blah I could care less Mr. Internet Tough Guy. I'm going to have some red wine, eat a nice steak with my blonde blue eyed girl and do some yoga in my condo's new fitness center. Why don't you put that in your pipe and smoke it.

By the way I'm from Getty Square in Yonkers and the Bronx if you want to see my ghetto pass.

Flame away.... signing off for the night.. got to go and do some yuppie things.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
The OP-Crying about American culture as you yippee yap on your iPhone and drink a Pepsi. What an utter joke. Your jealousy is utterly palpable. What, did they tell you the chicks were gonna dig your accent? A cool accent is not going to overcome a bitter, shallow life. You and your misery, table for one!

To the yuppie haters- How DARE people live a life you don't approve of! You want to talk irony? Irony is an all knowing, all loving, all accepting, all hip trustafarian toolbox who in reality is utterly intolerant, utterly rigid, and utterly orthodox. Anyone outside the High Church of Accepted Lifestyles and Beliefs is to be shunned. But other than that, I'm ok, you're ok, right?

"Authenticity" is elevated over all characteristics, whatever the hell authenticity is.

It's a total cultural inversion, where success, hard work, striving to make good for one's family, whether it's a nice car or nice clothes or a nice neighborhood is to be ridiculed while squalor, filth, despondency & blight is celebrated.

That yuppie a-hole who just got off the train, in his to be ridiculed brooks brothers suit & ridiculously bourgeois, neatly-dressed wife is a hell of alot more interesting than you pretentious phonies.

One last thought- Myself and my yuppie brothers & sisters read the same books you have, listened to the same stuff, followed the same philosophers, and may have even held some of the same attitudes you do today.

Then freshman year in highschool was over & we put that crap away in the box next to the G.I. Joe toys in the attic.

So, you know, it might be time to get over it.

+1000. BTW? There is a sale at Urban Outfitters!!

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
The OP-Crying about American culture as you yippee yap on your iPhone and drink a Pepsi. What an utter joke. Your jealousy is utterly palpable. What, did they tell you the chicks were gonna dig your accent? A cool accent is not going to overcome a bitter, shallow life. You and your misery, table for one!

To the yuppie haters- How DARE people live a life you don't approve of! You want to talk irony? Irony is an all knowing, all loving, all accepting, all hip trustafarian toolbox who in reality is utterly intolerant, utterly rigid, and utterly orthodox. Anyone outside the High Church of Accepted Lifestyles and Beliefs is to be shunned. But other than that, I'm ok, you're ok, right?

"Authenticity" is elevated over all characteristics, whatever the hell authenticity is.

It's a total cultural inversion, where success, hard work, striving to make good for one's family, whether it's a nice car or nice clothes or a nice neighborhood is to be ridiculed while squalor, filth, despondency & blight is celebrated.

That yuppie a-hole who just got off the train, in his to be ridiculed brooks brothers suit & ridiculously bourgeois, neatly-dressed wife is a hell of alot more interesting than you pretentious phonies.

One last thought- Myself and my yuppie brothers & sisters read the same books you have, listened to the same stuff, followed the same philosophers, and may have even held some of the same attitudes you do today.

Then freshman year in highschool was over & we put that crap away in the box next to the G.I. Joe toys in the attic.

So, you know, it might be time to get over it.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
As someone with an UN-ironic beard I agree that ironic beards must go.

I'm curious- whats makes a beard ironic?

If by wearing it, you're actually making fun of the look. That's why I always wear an ironic smile.

So, to be clear- an "ironic beard" is a beard that's worn by someone who is actually making fun of beards?

That just sounds stupid.

Ironic/Irony- words that have been thrown around quite a bit on this thread.

To quote the great Inigo Montoya- "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Alannis Morrisette also does not know what "ironic" means.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 15:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:
This is a fine example of an ironic beard. I found this image by googling "williamsburg beard".

Resized Image

This is an image of a unironic beard.

Resized Image

And a fine example of a Williamsburg dooooooooouche...PBR and all.

Ironic facial hair is one of the most irritating trends since ironic t-shirts.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 14:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users
This is a fine example of an ironic beard. I found this image by googling "williamsburg beard".

Resized Image

This is an image of a unironic beard.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/11/13 5:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:

If by wearing it, you're actually making fun of the look. That's why I always wear an ironic smile.

So, to be clear- an "ironic beard" is a beard that's worn by someone who is actually making fun of beards?

That just sounds stupid.

Ironic/Irony- words that have been thrown around quite a bit on this thread.

To quote the great Inigo Montoya- "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Posted on: 2009/11/13 5:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
If you ask me, a great deal of grooming goes into a nice beard.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 1:25
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
If you want the same tranquil atmosphere of DT JC without the Hipster/Yuppie scene then try the Heights best kept secret, away from it all

Actually, we are here among you, right under your nose but so uber ironic that you don't realize. We have taken irony to a whole nother level. We dress like students, we dress like housewives or in a suit and a tie, I changed my hairstyle so many times now don't know what I look like.

Yes, David Byrne would definitely be at the top the OP's hipster sh*tlist as he rides by on an ironic retro bicycle.

BTW, how do I tell if my beard's ironic, or simply a symbol of how lazy I am that it lets me get away with the least possible grooming? Or IS THAT the irony? That people think beards mean anything at all? Personally I think shaving is an affectation of artificially prolonged adolescence. Time was when people knew when to grow up! (and grow great big muttonchop sideburns too)

Posted on: 2009/11/13 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
If you want the same tranquil atmosphere of DT JC without the Hipster/Yuppie scene then try the Heights best kept secret, away from it all

Actually, we are here among you, right under your nose but so uber ironic that you don't realize. We have taken irony to a whole nother level. We dress like students, we dress like housewives or in a suit and a tie, I changed my hairstyle so many times now don't know what I look like.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ironic...beard.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

UGH, progress is so totally annoying!

a wee bit dramatic, no? the city has a long way to go before that happens -- and it won't. there are still plenty of areas in JC for people lamenting that long lost era. or there is newark or camden. or paterson.

Why am I starting to love you so hard...

mission accomplished.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 22:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
Are you kidding, anyway?! Lisa was the worst waitress I've ever experienced. Rude, never checked on us, never came back to the table ever, had to go and find her for a check, always hung outside or at the bar with people...in general, acted like you were bothering her by coming in to eat.

I actually met my husband there...well, we met online, but went to Hard Grove for our first "coffee safe place" meeting...so, besides being our favorite dive restaurant - it was nostalgic. Can't go back again, though - food rots, portions blow, and prices suck.

I loved their garlic shrimp and yellow rice!!!

Posted on: 2009/11/12 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
.....It's not so much about categorizing people for its own sake, rather it's the trend of people allowing themselves to be categorized by marketeers and sold a bag of goods consisting of sophisticated products and attractive images.

Nobody is an individual in the purest sense, but I see a lot of people coming to JC who have adopted seemingly identical lifestyles and the predictable desires that go with it. I'd have to be unaware of my surroundings not to notice that something stinks about it, and I don't buy into the attitude that it has to boil down to a choice between a violent, drug-addicted, homeless pedophile car thief pissing in my vestibule and American Outfitters.

I think something about human nature prevents the individual, something similar to the pack mentality. I always think it is funny when people go to ends to be "different" by joining all the other similarly looking/acting different people.

If you can read past the old english try this discourse on the subject: Emerson - Self Reliance

Posted on: 2009/11/12 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/12 20:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dieselpowerd wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 14:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/2 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Crazy_Chester wrote: Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: <-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one. Quote:
kitten wrote: OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.
You might still be able to get it for $250k.
Where is the brownstone downtown for $250K?? I want to buy it. Sign me up! LOL.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wrote:

If you want the same tranquil atmosphere of DT JC without the Hipster/Yuppie scene then try the Heights best kept secret, away from it all and some parking spots to boot. There are different pockets of nice quiet areas in the Heights, the east side of the Heights reminds me of the East Village though.

where is this downtown hipster scene? seriously? i spent a lot of time with my boyfriend in williamsburg before he moved to JC and i see no scene here. also DTJC seems hardly yuppie to me. i see lots of older people with families. my neighbors in both places i've lived are elderly.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Again, I didn't say "tell me what the internet considers a hipster". I want to know what the people of JC (or at least, JCList) consider a hipster.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 16:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/12 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Might I ask a question?

Exactly what do you folks consider a hipster? I see that term used a lot around here, and I'm curious.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Posted on: 2009/11/12 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I never understand these posts. Can't every city have at least ONE nice area? Jersey City finally has one. For those who like Jersey City, but hate yuppies and hipsters or whoever else, just move to another neighborhood in JC, because 70% of Jersey City has NO yuppies.

Seriously ... I just can't wrap my brain around these types of thoughts.

This has happened FOREVER, in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, etc. And everywhere else in the country. Look at LES 20 years ago compared to now.

If you want the same tranquil atmosphere of DT JC without the Hipster/Yuppie scene then try the Heights best kept secret, away from it all and some parking spots to boot. There are different pockets of nice quiet areas in the Heights, the east side of the Heights reminds me of the East Village though.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
As a lifelong resident, that was very beautiful. I agree with it all. Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 15:28

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017