Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
164 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pedestrian down at Marin and Montgomery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Jersey drivers are not used to pedestrians as much? People need to re learn to look both ways maybe? It is true that the police need to enforce things a bit more around here, but maybe some drivers are still scared to drive in this area. How many car jackings have been reported this year? How many stray bullets have gone by in the area? I am not making an excuse for the drivers that hit & run, but if one thing is certain the jersey city police just are not making their presence known anywhere.

All the people with baby strollers frighten me as well. I see your point.

But seriously... I don't think drivers are blowing through intersections because they are nervous of a possible car jacking or random gun fire from someone trying to cross the street. They are just inconsiderate people that don't want to loose 3 seconds from getting from point A to point B,

Posted on: 2009/6/19 5:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey drivers are not used to pedestrians as much? People need to re learn to look both ways maybe? It is true that the police need to enforce things a bit more around here, but maybe some drivers are still scared to drive in this area. How many car jackings have been reported this year? How many stray bullets have gone by in the area? I am not making an excuse for the drivers that hit & run, but if one thing is certain the jersey city police just are not making their presence known anywhere.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it's all about enforcement. There are certain people who are only going to drive safely and courteously if there is a possibility of getting a ticket. It seems like the bad drivers are well aware that they can use Marin Blvd as a freeway between the tunnel and the turnpike. They are not going to get pulled over.

Two people hit on Marin Blvd in two days is really ridiculous.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
I was just ranting about this yesterday in a new topic post I made. This is pathetic. I hope the person is okay. I have never seen it as bad anyplace I have lived. Jersey City is the worst.
PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. Maybe the city could hmm I don't know PUT SOME SIGNS UP! We all could go to a council meeting and vent about it etc. This is bullshit. I feel like I'm the bull and the cars are the bullfighter when I cross a street around here. Damn, I was reading about the cops giving out a jaywalking ticket at the Essex Street light rail station but people are getting clipped by cars driven by assholes that are clueless that THEY DON'T have the right of way in a crosswalk?? Yeah, okay.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles. All those places have the same problems with traffic, construction, etc., yet basic pedestrian law is observed by drivers. The difference is that in those cities the law is strictly enforced and drivers have learned that if they test the law they will get pulled over.

It is time for JCPD to step up and and enforce the law.

I've spent a lot of time in those cities as well and yes, the drivers are certainly more cautious. But the thing that has always struck me is that the pedestrians are very different as well. With very, very few exceptions people only cross at crosswalks. People don't cross against the light even if there isn't a car within three blocks. The equation is completely different on both sides - driver and pedestrian.

I'm certainly not a blame the victim type - and it's clear in the recent cases that drivers were at fault. But it would be nice if all pedestrians treated the road like the dangerous place that it is. And I say this as someone who walks a lot more than he drives.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
There needs to be some changes to improve both pedestrian safety and to allow better flow of traffic. Light cycle timings are important. Traffic flows better in Manhattan because you can ride the green, which is much harder to do in most of Jersey City.

Many thoroughfares need to be reworked to help move traffic when they have the right away. For example, JFK Blvd: Parking should be eliminated. Every left turn should have a dedicated turn lane, and there should be one dedicated lane to through traffic, with the far right side a dedicated bus lane (thus eliminating the parking). The wider street would allow safer travel, the dedicated bus pull offs and left turn lanes would prevent weaving, and traffic would flow much better.

Meanwhile, the smaller streets need more traffic calming and pedestrian protection. A good start would be the "Yield to Pedestrians" signs prevalent throughout nearly every other urban area in NJ down the middle of the road at each intersection. Another solution would be curb extensions and bulb outs; the city dropped the ball replacing all of those corner sidewalks this year and not building them. Its been said before, but the bulb out is highly effective because it: prevents cars from parking too close to the corner, maintaining sight lines at the intersection; tricks drivers into slowing down at the intersection by making the roadway appear more narrow; reducing the distance pedestrians have to cross between sidewalks. Meanwhile the city rebuilt every corner along Jersey Ave and Erie, and elsewhere in the downtown, and just kept the curb line in the same place.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Basically, I am not giving an excuse, but maybe an explanation as to why people drive the way they do. You almost have to drive aggressively to get where you need to go... around traffic, through road work, etc.

True... It is a battle to get around in a car in Jersey City, but it is the same in every heavily populated area. I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles. All those places have the same problems with traffic, construction, etc., yet basic pedestrian law is observed by drivers. The difference is that in those cities the law is strictly enforced and drivers have learned that if they test the law they will get pulled over.

It is time for JCPD to step up and and enforce the law.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anchovial wrote:
Quote:
Is there a similar law in NJ?

There's a bill in the state assembly to address this. I think it basically says that if you're in the crosswalk, cars must stop and wait for you regardless of what the light says. And I thought that was just common sense.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/stat ... eighs-new-safety-measures

A-1329
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A1500/1329_R1.HTM

39:4-36
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... afety/responsibility.shtm

Most of (A-1329) seems to further support the law that is currently on the books (39:4-36).

Posted on: 2009/6/19 1:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/10 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
Stoplights seem largely uncoordinated in Jersey City, especially on Grove going toward Grand. It's frustrating to be sitting at a red light and watching the green light at the block for several minutes and then see it turn yellow just as you're taking off.

I'm just thankful the city finally installed lights at Montgomery and Warren. I walk my daughter to daycare across that intersection, and it's always nerve wracking to rush across four lanes of oncoming traffic.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I have had the experience of literally standing in the crosswalk, six inches of snow on the ground, carrying, I mean actually lifting my stroller with the baby in it, and have stood there, watching the cars go by not stopping for me...

These recent accidents have made me drive much slower in Jersey City this past week. I know it's no excuse, but when you commute around north Jersey in a car, it's a constant chase, trying to beat the lights, trying to get around buses, trying to pass people making left turns...etc. A drive that should take 25 minutes can take 40 just because of bad timing with lights. Sometimes you have to sit through 3 cycles of a light just to get through. Most of our surrounding areas are light on pedestrians, so it's not something you think about (I drive up Tonnelle Ave, every day... very rarely does someone cross Tonnelle)...

Basically, I am not giving an excuse, but maybe an explanation as to why people drive the way they do. You almost have to drive aggressively to get where you need to go... around traffic, through road work, etc. So, I've been trying to be extra concerned when I do finally come up Paterson Plank and I hit Palisades Avenue... okay...time to beware of people.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 1:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/7 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

There's a bill in the state assembly to address this. I think it basically says that if you're in the crosswalk, cars must stop and wait for you regardless of what the light says. And I thought that was just common sense.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/stat ... eighs-new-safety-measures

Posted on: 2009/6/19 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
However, let's be honest here, there are a lot of people who jaywalk and walk in front of cars in the middle of the road where there are no crosswalks.

I think you have a point, but let's work on the drivers first...

The vast majority of pedestrians in downtown JC use the crosswalks. However, drivers on our streets almost never yield to pedestrians, especially at intersections where there are no stop signs or traffic signals.

What is it going to take to get JCPD to start enforcing 39:4-36 or parking enforcement to begin ticketing cars parked up to the crosswalks?

The crosswalk on the corner of Bay St and Newark is constantly blocked by delivery trucks and other vehicles during the day. It is def creating a very dangerous situation to cross, you literally have to veer out into oncoming traffic to cross AROUND the vehicles. It must be a nightmare for people in wheelchairs and people pushing baby carriages. Blocking the crosswalk should not be tolerated..period!!!

Posted on: 2009/6/19 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
However, let's be honest here, there are a lot of people who jaywalk and walk in front of cars in the middle of the road where there are no crosswalks.

I think you have a point, but let's work on the drivers first...

The vast majority of pedestrians in downtown JC use the crosswalks. However, drivers on our streets almost never yield to pedestrians, especially at intersections where there are no stop signs or traffic signals.

What is it going to take to get JCPD to start enforcing 39:4-36 or parking enforcement to begin ticketing cars parked up to the crosswalks?

Posted on: 2009/6/18 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I do agree there is a problem with cars not slowing down for pedestrians. I remember almost getting mowed down while I was trying to cross grand with a stroller.

However, let's be honest here, there are a lot of people who jaywalk and walk in front of cars in the middle of the road where there are no crosswalks. I'm sure that is not what happened to this person, but I've had to slam on my breaks many times while driving around downtown.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 21:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown Jersey City is a nightmare for pedestrians. I know we need to balance the needs of people trying to get to the water front for work, but it seems as if everytime I cross Grand St, Marin, Montgomery or CC I am taking my life in my own hands.

When I used to live in another state pedestrians had the right of way when they were in the cross walk. This was strictly enforced in my town and people who broke it were ticketed. THere was also a public service campaign with signs and commercials to make drivers aware of the law. At every cross walk there was a caution sign for drivers reminding them that the pedestrians had the right of way. It actually helped make drivers pay attention to the people in the cross walks. Walkers were viewed as people with rights instead of simple annoyances or targets.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 20:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
I seen this a few seconds after it happened. The pedestrian didn't look injured externally. He was on the crosswalk close to the curb in a sitting position. The driver got out of her car was prompt in giving her papers to the a cop who arrived at the scene within seconds. (he was across the street) and then he was followed by a cop car which came again in a few seconds.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 20:43

Pedestrian down at Marin and Montgomery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Just walked by - a man was being wheeled into an ambulance and the intersection was full of police and EMS. A young woman/girl was sitting behind the wheel of her car, stopped in the crosswalk crossing Montgomery on the west side of Marin. She had already cleared the intersection, so she must have been going at a pretty good clip. Seems as though the pedestrian was in the crosswalk, based on where the car was stopped.

I don't know the condition of the victim, but certainly hope he wasn't seriously injured. Marin Blvd. is insane the entire length of the road.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 20:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017