Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: Savas - Polish Cafeteria Opens on Grove Street
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Tried it last night... It's cool and cute, a total throwback. They were closing so selection was limited.

I really liked the stuffed cabbage and the chicken wrapped spinach (a bit garlicky though). Sweet couple...

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
this place is consistently empty. if you really love it, GO THERE. and tell your friends. don't let Sava become the next beloved former JC jewel.

Posted on: 2009/7/19 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
We went here tonight for dinner and it was absolutely delicious. I can't stop thinking about the meatballs and cabbage!

Posted on: 2009/7/18 23:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/15 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
And the cool thing is that inside it feels like the place has been there for 40 years, even though its new. We have an old school, traditional diner that has soul and character, even though its still new on the scene (our scene)

Posted on: 2009/3/24 13:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/27 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
Amen! And something for everyone.

JP

Posted on: 2009/3/24 5:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to give this place some love...I don't think I go here often enough. Went to Sava's tonight with a friend and we were both raving about how good it was. The flavors and tastes of this food are pure pleasure. Amazing. We are lucky to have a place like this in our hood. It's better than any Russian/Polish joint in the East Village, easily. Deeply satisfying, affordable meals served by a true character of a Polish Grandma in an unpretentious, genuine atmosphere. Without question one of the best eateries in Jersey City. This little resto is the real deal.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 3:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. Yesterday was the first evening it felt cold enough for some Sava, so I went and got a couple days worth of chicken livers, pork ribs, cabbage (which is great!), kraut and pierogis. Good stuff.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 18:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 15:02
From Hancock Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
The food is very cold-weather appropriate and very delicious. And YES, incredibly great values, like $2.50 for a hearty serving of borcht- delicious! The stuffed cabbage and stuffed peppers are also faves of me and my husband's.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
I saw signs in the window that they now DELIVER!

Wow! Great news!

Posted on: 2008/11/18 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Tried it a few weeks ago. FOOD IS FANTASTIC!

and in these pseudo-recession times a really, really good value.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
As I was passing by the Grove St. PATH entrance today, I bumped into a friendly fellow handing out flyers promoting Sava Polish Diner and Deli.

I actually recognized him from selling Jadwiga's stuffed cabbage and other Polish favorites at the Grove Street Farmer's Market.

Besides her usual Polish specialties, he happened to mention that she has something extra on the menu tonight -- Corned Beef and Cabbage!

I haven't had Corned Beef and Cabbage in forever, so I may just swing on by to pick some up (and I thought I'd spread the word that it's on the menu tonight to all you JCListers).

One more thing:

Last time I went there for food, I saw signs in the window that they now DELIVER!

YUM!

Posted on: 2008/11/18 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm guessing that's because much of her menu is hearty, and there's probably more of a demand for those sorts of dishes in the fall and winter months.

Agreed. We were there every week until it got hot out, now I'm just never in the mood for it. I'd hate to see her close - I'll try to make an extra effort to get over there.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 22:30
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I dropped by Sava Polish Deli for a quick-n-early dinner tonight, and I happened to overhear the owner, Jadwiga, mention to another customer that business has been quite slow for her lately.

I'm guessing that's because much of her menu is hearty, and there's probably more of a demand for those sorts of dishes in the fall and winter months.

Also, she sometimes has her back window and front door open which can make eating there in the summer heat a bit too hot to handle (at least for me).

But THIS EVENING she has the A/C PUMPING HARD! WAHOO!

It wasn't frigid like the new Duane Reade store, but it was really nice and VERY COOL compared to the steamy street outside.

If you're looking for something cooler and more refreshing as a side dish while you're there, definitely go for her tasty cucumber salad flecked with bits of onions and dill -- it rocks!

Happy eating!

Posted on: 2008/7/30 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure what's stranger -- Ygor's creepy photo above or the huge painting of the David Bowie-esque waitress that Sava Polish Deli has hanging in its dining room (first mentioned on JCList by Noepants back on 2/15/08). Relive the magic below for yourself. Makes me giggle and cringe simultaneously on the inside each and every time I see it. Bring on the fabulous kitsch -- that place is THE BEST!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/24 3:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/23 4:56
From Take a wild guess
Group:
Registered Users
I ate there tonight too with some coworkers. Great food at affordable prices! Highly recommend the kielbasa & sauerkraut. Mmmmmm.......it's to die for.

Resized Image

Try it today, won't you?

Posted on: 2008/6/24 3:16
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just ate at Sava Polish Deli again tonight -- it's always SO GOOD! I heartily recommend the following...

- Kielbasa and Sauerkraut

- Pierogies (the Potato or the oh-so-awesome Cabbage-Filled)

- Stuffed Mushrooms

- Cucumber Salad With Onions, Sour Cream and Dill

- Poppyseed Roll and the scrumptious Poppyseed-Almond Cake (I know she often gets it delivered from Krystina Bakery out in Garfield or elsewhere, but it's still darn good.)

- Stuffed Cabbage (Sava's is not as good as my mom's, but my mom's recipe is hard to beat. Still, Sava's makes me happy.)

The owner, Jadwiga, is always so sweet and doting -- it's really heartwarming. And I've never been called "luvie" so many times in my life. She's one of a kind. Much of this has been said about Sava Polish Deli before, but it's definitely worth repeating.

Here's a link to her website for the uninitiated: http://www.savapolishdeli.com. It was created for Jadwiga by a fellow JCLister if I recall correctly. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2008/6/24 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Tried Savas the other day. I had Meatloaf and my bud had the fish. We both had perogies. Everything was great. Will def go back.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, so I got take-out food from Savas for the first time this weekend. Oh my freakin' god, it was delish!!! I have pretty high standards about quality and flavor, and Savas rocked. Seriously. It's like food your grandmother would make for you, but better. Pierogies, stuffed cabbage, meatballs....mmmmm!! Serious comfort food.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 14:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/29 21:28
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
Europa on Jersey Avenue still No. 1

Posted on: 2008/5/3 23:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Finally found it - there is a big freaking construction dumpster at the curb - but the big SAVA banner helped. The pierogies were sensational and cheap. Can't be beat.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I love boiled pierogies (potato, spinach etc) but Savas won't make them to order - same problem she had when she was up the hill - microwaving pierogies makes them rubbery!

Pierogies need to be boiled up fresh or I can't eat them - somehow she can't understand that.

She is REALLY nice and I wish her well but I still gotta go to the East Village, Greenpoint or the Wallington NJ area to get my fix.

FYI, I have been to Sava's three times now, and each time she has made fresh boiled (and then fried) pierogies to order. I even watched her and the lady who helps in the kitchen cook them. Same price, $3.50 for an order of 6. You just need to wait for them (and she's happy to do them for you if you call ahead to save the wait time).

Maybe it has to do with how you ask?

Posted on: 2008/3/24 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I love boiled pierogies (potato, spinach etc) but Savas won't make them to order - same problem she had when she was up the hill - microwaving pierogies makes them rubbery!

Pierogies need to be boiled up fresh or I can't eat them - somehow she can't understand that.

She is REALLY nice and I wish her well but I still gotta go to the East Village, Greenpoint or the Wallington NJ area to get my fix.

FYI, I have been to Sava's three times now, and each time she has made fresh boiled (and then fried) pierogies to order. I even watched her and the lady who helps in the kitchen cook them. Same price, $3.50 for an order of 6. You just need to wait for them (and she's happy to do them for you if you call ahead to save the wait time).

Maybe it has to do with how you ask?

Posted on: 2008/3/24 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sandman wrote:
Quote:

alb wrote:
I was there last night, ..... There were three people who looked like they might JCList users eating a table......

Even the table is good at Savas.

The food at Savas was so good it blew my brain out and I can no longer type correcafdafdtly.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Resized Image[/quote]

L to R: BDLaw, MCA, Jennymayla, NikkiinNJ

Now we're busted.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 1:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/8 12:45
Group:
Registered Users
I used to live by her old restaurant on Newark and would eat there a lot. She started making some veggie stuff for me, when I started coming on a regular basis.

I went into her new location a few weeks back and she told me that she has some veggie friendly stuff on Monday and Tues (I believe). She does have onion pirogies which are super good. She tries to cater to demand, so if someone else is a vegetarian on this list, just mention it to her.

Posted on: 2008/3/23 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to Sava several times now. Words can't express how happy I am with it.

It is my favorite eatery in Jersey City without question. Insanely delicious. It is my favorite tasting food in Jersey City, and that is not a price-adjusted opinion.

The old Polish woman there is so amazingly nice. But that is why she is serving people good food, because she knows what is good and cares about (or at least likes) the people she is serving it to.

I feel like a place this good should be getting more business. Certainly I regret the months I spent overlooking it and wondering whether it was good. They do need a better sign.

If you like good food, please try Sava.

Posted on: 2008/3/23 3:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to her a couple of days ago and she said business is picking up. Word is getting out there.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
First visit impressions/comments: Blue eyed soul food. Great value. Vegetarians & cardiac patients need not bother. No comparison w/ frozen pierogies. If you buy Mrs. T's and think they're OK, get the handmade pierogies here and be prepared to be blown away. Stuffed cabbage is awesome. Awesome. I'm not exactly Polish. OK, I'm not remotely polish... but the proprietor still called me "honey", "darling", and (my favorite) "Luvie" indiscriminately. Next time I'll go back without my wife and see if there's something more to this. I hope this place can squeak by for a few months, because they should be OK eventually. As the posts in this thread show, this place is built for repeat business. Cheap + varied daily specials = customers coming back weekly + potential addiction problems. Negatives: No signage or menus at the store front. Instead, there is a very creepy mannequin. I'm goin' back for potato pancakes! Can't wait to try 'em.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 3:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
I was there last night, ..... There were three people who looked like they might JCList users eating a table......

Even the table is good at Savas.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i really need to stop in and get some grub from there...it's been 5 years since i worked at the courthouse and had sava's potato pancakes every tuesday. i'm glad they reopened somewhere else.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 18:22

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017