Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Light bulbs in a rental unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Fat-Ass, the OP did not have a ladder for the job, and he's asking a simple question, what's the problem?

Any light bulbs in the common area of a building is the HOA's job to replace (but don't whine if your HOA's fees are high and a $2 bulb ends up costing $100 for an electrician to be called-out). Any bulbs in your apartment is your responsibility - if you can't change a light bulb or borrow a ladder from a neighbor, youtube on how to change a light bulb and google how to borrow things from friends, family and neighbors.
My ignorance is believing that anyone can change a light bulb - I've since been enlightened by a few electrician friends how its their 'money for jam' request by 'special' customers - And we aren't taking about changing fluorescent tubing or regular bulbs in stairwells, whereby the ceiling height could be extremely high where a $10 broom stick with a $5 PVC cup is used to remove the bulb.

If anyone needs a light bulb change, let me know as my late 60's mom could do with the $100 call-out and she'll being a new bulb for free!

Posted on: 2016/11/21 20:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
How many J.C. List serial posters does it take to screw in a light bulb? Quite a few it would appear.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
If op is hurt changing the light bulb since it isn't easily accessible, isn't the landlord is on the hook for medical bills? It is in the landlord's best interest to change it, normal lightbulbs that are easily change would be op's problem.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 18:36
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
If I recall, most luxury apartment towers will replace your bulbs, even the standard bulbs if they are in a fixture.

Of course... but they WILL charge you for the bulb AND for the service. My lease has a long list of simple things they will do for tenants, and the related cost, and that list includes things as mundane as changing a lightbulb or swapping batteries in a smoke detector. Some people would rather pay to have a bulb changed instead of just doing it themselves. I think that is nuts, but to each their own.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My general policy:
Fluorescent tube and spiral lighting in the kitchens I take care of. The bulbs last for years and they are a bitch to replace. The other is one apartment where the ceiling light in the bathroom is 11 ft up. I take care of that one as well.
Everything else is the tenant's responsibility.

Me too they are tricky to get out. If a tenant never did it before they can crack the fixture end sockets or crack the plastic lens. I just do the kitchen and porch all other bulbs the tenant replaces. I also get those 10 year smoke detector carbon monoxide combos so I don?t have to worry about battery replacement. I replace the furnace filters and check the bottom of the chimney every few months to make sure it has no obstructions like chips of the old flue lining, etc. I found the carcass of a big black bird in one of the flues once. (rip)

I think I posted this before I have very long term tenants and I don?t charge big rents. I found the lower more reasonable rent is the less maintenance calls you get. The tenants tend to fix everything themselves. Had a neighbor who charged extremely high rents he was getting call after call from the tenants to fix things and complain about this and that. He also had high tenant turnover they didn't last long.

I would rather be poor with no stress. Just charge enough to cover expenses like taxes and water and put a little away in case a major repair is needed.

Indeed, the More they Pay, the More they Expect.

I would not go so far as leaving Tenants to be DIY Weekend Warriors to repair or make changes to my properties, as this invites all kinds of potential problems to the L/T relationship.

Good & Honest avenues of communication between parties are paramount in order to eliminate added Stress.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Ok .. I can't resist. See link and take your pick:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~gasarch/HUMOR/lightbulb.html

Posted on: 2016/11/21 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I have never heard of a landlord replacing a lightbulb within a rented unit. But check your lease.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
As a landlord I would be so happy to have a tenant who makes this kind of inquiry instead of frantically calling to report an Emergency Electrical Problem when a LIGHTBULB runs the course of its useful life & simply burns out, or to demand Emergency plumber be dispatched when there is Low Water Pressure due to a WaterMain break in the area, crying 'health hazard'!

In my experience, Many tenants of recent in DTJC are young 'professional' transplants who have no hands on skills because they were afforded every advantage by their loving parents & now expect an App for everything or someone in servitude to do it for them!
[How this group would fare as homeowners should their grand incomes suddenly dry up is NOT]

I do not expect my tenants to come complete with tools or ladders, as they are apartment dwellers, but appreciate an intelligent individual who is willing to communicate effectively [without all the manufactured drama] & collaborate to keep my property & their living environment in the best possible condition. By working together both parties will reap benefits.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My general policy:
Fluorescent tube and spiral lighting in the kitchens I take care of. The bulbs last for years and they are a bitch to replace. The other is one apartment where the ceiling light in the bathroom is 11 ft up. I take care of that one as well.

Me too they are tricky to get out. If a tenant never did it before they can crack the fixture end sockets or crack the plastic lens. I just do the kitchen and porch all other bulbs the tenant replaces. I also get those 10 year smoke detector carbon monoxide combos so I don?t have to worry about battery replacement. I replace the furnace filters and check the bottom of the chimney every few months to make sure it has no obstructions like chips of the old flue lining, etc. I found the carcass of a big black bird in one of the flues once. (rip)

I think I posted this before I have very long term tenants and I don?t charge big rents. I found the lower more reasonable rent is the less maintenance calls you get. The tenants tend to fix everything themselves. Had a neighbor who charged extremely high rents he was getting call after call from the tenants to fix things and complain about this and that. He also had high tenant turnover they didn't last long.

I would rather be poor with no stress. Just charge enough to cover expenses like taxes and water and put a little away in case a major repair is needed.

My solution is get rid of those fuggly circular fixtures to begin with. Nice looking fixtures are so cheap these days, even built in LED ones. You can get an attractive fan/light for under $60 with normal bulb sockets, and yes they are dependable.

Neverleft you're right, self reliant tenants are great, but you don't need to be much under market to get them, often just good interviewing can do it. If someone is a PITA just to show the unit to, they're done far as I'm concerned.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My general policy:

Posted on: 2016/11/21 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fat-Ass, the OP did not have a ladder for the job, and he's asking a simple question, what's the problem?

Posted on: 2016/11/21 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
If I recall, most luxury apartment towers will replace your bulbs, even the standard bulbs if they are in a fixture.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 1:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in 5 apartments within the last five years, and my landlords have never changed any lightbulbs (even high ceiling ones). My boyfriend is a landlord and he doesn't change those either. He will, however, come in every few months and change any necessary filters for the heating system and fridge. Those are considered preventive maintenance while lightbulbs are consumables.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 1:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Make up some BS to your landlord...tell him "some old nearby neighbors" said a fire/building inspector showed up and didn't like the burnt out bulbs that they had and said they should be professionally installed. It's not like a screw in lamp bulb..tell your landlord you just wanted to double check with him that he's okay with you doing it. Make it sound like you're doing him a favor. He'll hop right over.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Well did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, not have lunch yet, or haven't been laid in a while, which one is it asshol*?

Why the shitty angry response? I asked who is responsible for changing it. I didn't say I wouldn't do it I've just had the experience in the last 13 years in every place I've ever lived that when the lights in the ceiling, the long skinny bulbs burn out, my landlord has always taken care of it before, and that was in three different places with three different landlords.

didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have something nice to say you should just not say anything at all? I really don't get why you had to respond the way you did you must be a lazy fat ahole landlord who treats his tenants like crap.

By the way my toilet seat broke a few months back, and I went out and bought myself a new one and replaced it myself and then sent the landlord the receipt and they gladly reimbursed me for it, so crawl back in your self righteous judgment hole.

You must of been spoon fed to adulthood - help with changing a light bulb indeed ... have you mastered using a toaster or changing the batteries in your tv remote ? ... definitely one of the funniest and lame thread ever posted!

Posted on: 2016/11/20 23:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
My general policy:

Posted on: 2016/11/20 23:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
The tenant is usually responsible for changing the light bulbs and smoke alarm batteries in the apartment.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 22:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
And in the last few months 2 new tenants have moved in, and both times when the landlord was preparing those apartments for the new tenant I noticed that they had a big box of these ceiling fluorescent lights, so I just figured they replaced the bulbs and our apartments. I wasn't sure exactly so that's why am asking.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Lightbulbs are really cheap and IMO this wasn't worth the hassle to contact your landlord about it. Save it for something significant.

If you nickle and dime him now, he might nickle and dime you when you want your security deposit back..

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm stuck at imagining a rental with 4 or 8 ft fluorescent tube lighting. WTF?

This landlord says light bulbs are consumables that you are on your own to replace. But leases vary. I know landlords that put in the lease that they're not responsible to replace appliances. If the fridge dies, you can buy a new one if you want a fridge.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
How is my question not staying on good terms with my landlord? that's why am asking the question in the first place if my landlord is not legally responsible to change the bulbs then I'll figure out a freaking way to do it myself.

my lease doesn't say anything it's just you know the standard one that you can print off the Internet.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
..I'm trying to find out who is legaly responsible for changing these lightbulbs. I don't even have a ladder or a chair tall enough to change the bulbs. Thanks.

What does your lease say? You might offer to pay for the bulbs if the landlord or management company will send one of his guys to replace them. I would try to stay on good terms with my landlord if I were you.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Well did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, not have lunch yet, or haven't been laid in a while, which one is it asshol*?

Why the shitty angry response? I asked who is responsible for changing it. I didn't say I wouldn't do it I've just had the experience in the last 13 years in every place I've ever lived that when the lights in the ceiling, the long skinny bulbs burn out, my landlord has always taken care of it before, and that was in three different places with three different landlords.

didn't your mother ever teach you that if you don't have something nice to say you should just not say anything at all? I really don't get why you had to respond the way you did you must be a lazy fat ahole landlord who treats his tenants like crap.

By the way my toilet seat broke a few months back, and I went out and bought myself a new one and replaced it myself and then sent the landlord the receipt and they gladly reimbursed me for it, so crawl back in your self righteous judgment hole.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
wow, you can't find a ladder, change or afford a lightbulb and you want the landlord to do it ... what's next, you will ask for them to replace your toilet paper and place it on the reel - get real and do it yourself.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:55

Light bulbs in a rental unit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of the long skinny lightbulbs that go in the ceiling of my apartment have burned out. I texted my landlord and asked them to change them, and they said that they don't normally replace the lightbulbs. I've lived in Jersey City in three or four different apartments over the last 13 years, and anytime similar light bulbs burned out my landlords always changed them no problem. I'm trying to find out who is legaly responsible for changing these lightbulbs. I don't even have a ladder or a chair tall enough to change the bulbs. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 20:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017