Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
39 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 39

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#66
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/8 15:38
Last Login :
8/1 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 197
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'd have more sympathy for the protection of Christmas if it wasn't ripped off from the pagans in the first place.

I thought thou shalt not steal?


No one asked you for sympathy. People are stating a fact the religion especially Christianity is being attacked. Every year the atheist group put up a billboard attacking the birth of Jesus. Do they do that with Islam or the Jewish faith? No, I have never seen the attack on billboards by Christians calling out atheists for their lack of belief. There are billboards promoting faith but not attacking nonbelievers. Everyone has a right to believe or not believe without being attacked. It makes you wonder why are atheists are afraid of Christians, perhaps they are afraid of the truth.


Pew research poll, one of the most respected polling organizations around has asked over the last few years, "Which one group of people are least likely to vote for President." This shows the one group that Americans are most bigoted towards. Do you know what that one group is? Atheists. so don't tell me that Atheists don't have anything to fear.

http://www.people-press.org/2014/05/1 ... d-do-more-harm-than-good/

Non-Christians are the ones constantly being put down. There is no war on Christianity. You are just finally being told that you can't force your beliefs on everyone else.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 12:02
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#65
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/27 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5127
Offline
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'd have more sympathy for the protection of Christmas if it wasn't ripped off from the pagans in the first place.

I thought thou shalt not steal?


No one asked you for sympathy. People are stating a fact the religion especially Christianity is being attacked. Every year the atheist group put up a billboard attacking the birth of Jesus. Do they do that with Islam or the Jewish faith? No, I have never seen the attack on billboards by Christians calling out atheists for their lack of belief. There are billboards promoting faith but not attacking nonbelievers. Everyone has a right to believe or not believe without being attacked. It makes you wonder why are atheists are afraid of Christians, perhaps they are afraid of the truth.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 2:51
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#64
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1761
Offline
I'd have more sympathy for the protection of Christmas if it wasn't ripped off from the pagans in the first place.

I thought thou shalt not steal?

Posted on: 2016/10/12 1:36
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#63
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/8 15:38
Last Login :
8/1 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 197
Offline
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!


It's real simple, No Jew or Atheist (of which I'm both, but I don't expect you to understand that), has ever told a Christian that you can't celebrate your religion. We do ask that you not force your religion on us or our government. And even the founding fathers found that a reasonable request, hence the "Separation of State and Church" in the first Amendment.
OTOH, Christians are constantly demanding that people who don't celebrate the way they do are somehow less than them. God forbid we don't celebrate Christ, or we are unpatriotic Americans and heathens.

So yes, some of you you Christians (certainly not all) are waging war on us non-Christians.

BTW, I'm happily married to a Christian woman who is very spiritual. Our marriage works because while she would like me to believe, she has never asked me to believe, nor has she ever demeaned me because I don't believe.


Who is demanding anyone force their religion?? I can care less what you are or aren't, so long as you do not force your religious beliefs on society. If you read the link which shows the NYC public school days off calendar, you would CLEARLY see that Christmas and Easter, arguably the largest celebrated holidays in NYC are not listed. Jewish and Muslim holidays which are celebrate in far fewer numbers are listed.

The NYC school district should accurately represent all the religious days off for what they are, or not list any at all.

You're an atheist? Fine, God bless you. But that does change the fact that there is a glaring omission of the most celebrated holiday in the country's largest school district.

Yet another victory for the Libs.



I'm so sorry you are offended that they aren't spelled out for you... the winter and spring breaks were created around Christmas and Easter... that is fact.

Your statement of "god bless you" is as meaningless to me as can be, since god is meaningless to me.

"Libs" don't want victories, they just want the truth to be the driving force.

And yes, your religious morality is forced on all of us. You try to deny women the right to reproductive rights, you force your myths on our money, you force your myths into our "Pledge of Allegiance," you ask me to swear on a bible in court (but then allow me an out, but only if I ask it, and then I look like a heretic), for years you prevented the LGBT community from living the same way straights do. The list goes on and on....


Posted on: 2016/10/12 0:50
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#62
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/6/9 17:57
Last Login :
2016/11/9 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!


It's real simple, No Jew or Atheist (of which I'm both, but I don't expect you to understand that), has ever told a Christian that you can't celebrate your religion. We do ask that you not force your religion on us or our government. And even the founding fathers found that a reasonable request, hence the "Separation of State and Church" in the first Amendment.
OTOH, Christians are constantly demanding that people who don't celebrate the way they do are somehow less than them. God forbid we don't celebrate Christ, or we are unpatriotic Americans and heathens.

So yes, some of you you Christians (certainly not all) are waging war on us non-Christians.

BTW, I'm happily married to a Christian woman who is very spiritual. Our marriage works because while she would like me to believe, she has never asked me to believe, nor has she ever demeaned me because I don't believe.


Who is demanding anyone force their religion?? I can care less what you are or aren't, so long as you do not force your religious beliefs on society. If you read the link which shows the NYC public school days off calendar, you would CLEARLY see that Christmas and Easter, arguably the largest celebrated holidays in NYC are not listed. Jewish and Muslim holidays which are celebrate in far fewer numbers are listed.

The NYC school district should accurately represent all the religious days off for what they are, or not list any at all.

You're an atheist? Fine, God bless you. But that does change the fact that there is a glaring omission of the most celebrated holiday in the country's largest school district.

Yet another victory for the Libs.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 16:51
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#61
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/27 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5127
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!


It's real simple, No Jew or Atheist (of which I'm both, but I don't expect you to understand that), has ever told a Christian that you can't celebrate your religion. We do ask that you not force your religion on us or our government. And even the founding fathers found that a reasonable request, hence the "Separation of State and Church" in the first Amendment.
OTOH, Christians are constantly demanding that people who don't celebrate the way they do are somehow less than them. God forbid we don't celebrate Christ, or we are unpatriotic Americans and heathens.

So yes, some of you you Christians (certainly not all) are waging war on us non-Christians.

BTW, I'm happily married to a Christian woman who is very spiritual. Our marriage works because while she would like me to believe, she has never asked me to believe, nor has she ever demeaned me because I don't believe.


Other religions have their holidays intact, it is not watered down by political correctness. Merry Christmas is now Happy Holidays, the nativity scene now includes a snowman and Santa Claus. Public schools cannot sing Silent Night only Jingle Bells. No, I disagree, Christianity has been under attack and this attack has now spread to the military bases under Obama.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2 ... ans-because-of-hostile-c/

Pathetic.

There is no "war on Christianity." It is the predominant religion in this country.

"Happy Holidays" isn't political correctness, it is a polite way to greet someone during a specific time of year when that other person may or may not be of your same faith. I'm sorry that your life is so very sad that the very idea that politeness dictates that you can't say "Merry Christmas" to Jews, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, etc. is an affront to your delicate sensibilities.

I'd suggest for you to grow up if I didn't know that it is only your education level that is in grade school.


When a Jewish holiday occurs, I do not say to happy holiday to my Jewish friends, I say enjoy -------- just fill in the holiday. I do not water down their religious holiday. Why would any other religion care about the Christian holiday? If they are faithful to their faith, they would not care. Recently, there was Hindu holiday in Journal Square. I did not feel threaten that they celebrated their holiday. Yes, there is an attack on religion but especially Christianity. By the way, the Elephant god did not have a plastic snowman to water down the holiday.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 16:24

Edited by Yvonne on 2016/10/11 16:50:32
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1893
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!


It's real simple, No Jew or Atheist (of which I'm both, but I don't expect you to understand that), has ever told a Christian that you can't celebrate your religion. We do ask that you not force your religion on us or our government. And even the founding fathers found that a reasonable request, hence the "Separation of State and Church" in the first Amendment.
OTOH, Christians are constantly demanding that people who don't celebrate the way they do are somehow less than them. God forbid we don't celebrate Christ, or we are unpatriotic Americans and heathens.

So yes, some of you you Christians (certainly not all) are waging war on us non-Christians.

BTW, I'm happily married to a Christian woman who is very spiritual. Our marriage works because while she would like me to believe, she has never asked me to believe, nor has she ever demeaned me because I don't believe.


Other religions have their holidays intact, it is not watered down by political correctness. Merry Christmas is now Happy Holidays, the nativity scene now includes a snowman and Santa Claus. Public schools cannot sing Silent Night only Jingle Bells. No, I disagree, Christianity has been under attack and this attack has now spread to the military bases under Obama.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2 ... ans-because-of-hostile-c/

Pathetic.

There is no "war on Christianity." It is the predominant religion in this country.

"Happy Holidays" isn't political correctness, it is a polite way to greet someone during a specific time of year when that other person may or may not be of your same faith. I'm sorry that your life is so very sad that the very idea that politeness dictates that you can't say "Merry Christmas" to Jews, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, etc. is an affront to your delicate sensibilities.

I'd suggest for you to grow up if I didn't know that it is only your education level that is in grade school.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 16:02
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/27 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5127
Offline
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!


It's real simple, No Jew or Atheist (of which I'm both, but I don't expect you to understand that), has ever told a Christian that you can't celebrate your religion. We do ask that you not force your religion on us or our government. And even the founding fathers found that a reasonable request, hence the "Separation of State and Church" in the first Amendment.
OTOH, Christians are constantly demanding that people who don't celebrate the way they do are somehow less than them. God forbid we don't celebrate Christ, or we are unpatriotic Americans and heathens.

So yes, some of you you Christians (certainly not all) are waging war on us non-Christians.

BTW, I'm happily married to a Christian woman who is very spiritual. Our marriage works because while she would like me to believe, she has never asked me to believe, nor has she ever demeaned me because I don't believe.


Other religions have their holidays intact, it is not watered down by political correctness. Merry Christmas is now Happy Holidays, the nativity scene now includes a snowman and Santa Claus. Public schools cannot sing Silent Night only Jingle Bells. No, I disagree, Christianity has been under attack and this attack has now spread to the military bases under Obama.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2 ... ans-because-of-hostile-c/

Posted on: 2016/10/11 15:53
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/8 15:38
Last Login :
8/1 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 197
Offline
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!


It's real simple, No Jew or Atheist (of which I'm both, but I don't expect you to understand that), has ever told a Christian that you can't celebrate your religion. We do ask that you not force your religion on us or our government. And even the founding fathers found that a reasonable request, hence the "Separation of State and Church" in the first Amendment.
OTOH, Christians are constantly demanding that people who don't celebrate the way they do are somehow less than them. God forbid we don't celebrate Christ, or we are unpatriotic Americans and heathens.

So yes, some of you you Christians (certainly not all) are waging war on us non-Christians.

BTW, I'm happily married to a Christian woman who is very spiritual. Our marriage works because while she would like me to believe, she has never asked me to believe, nor has she ever demeaned me because I don't believe.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 2:15
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#57
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/6/9 17:57
Last Login :
2016/11/9 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Sorry, meant Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on non-Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!

Posted on: 2016/10/10 17:06
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#56
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/6/9 17:57
Last Login :
2016/11/9 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
No! It's not acknowledged. "Winter recess" is acknowledged because that's what it says on the calendar. I get that school is closed because of Christmas but the calendar needs to reflect it as such. It is not different than schools being closed for MLK and the calendar saying something like "Teachers In-service day". That would be an insult to MLK, Civil Rights and the black community.

Not sure how you can claim this is Christians waging war on Christians, where it is actually the exact opposite!

Posted on: 2016/10/10 17:05
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
Resized Image

AND RELIGIONS KILL PEOPLE

Posted on: 2016/10/8 20:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/8 15:38
Last Login :
8/1 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 197
Offline
Quote:

skinny wrote:
It's not about knowing when it's Christmas. It's simply acknowledging it on the school year calendar. If the NYC school system can't acknowledge the most celebrated holiday in the world (and indeed, in NYC) then what gives them the right to list other religion's holidays by name?


It is acknowledged... You have this two week break that encompasses Christmas, as well as New Years and possibly Chanuka, as well as other celebrations. The kids have off. Do you need to be told explicitly that it's a Christmas Break? And you already have Easter off simply because it falls on a Sunday.

This crazy idea that this country is waging a war on Christianity is simply bullshit. The reality is, some Christians are waging a war on everything non-Christian.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 11:14
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Well if you really think it isn't needed then it isn't needed. Isn't it more important to know that the crime was reported? If Christmas is that important then it shouldn't matter if it is in a calendar or not. It would be best to celebrate its true meaning than having to worry about its place on a calendar.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 2:35
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I'll give you Easter but do you really need a calendar to know it's Christmas?


This reminds me of justifications for not putting in race in reports of crime in media outlets ("the robbery at gunpoint was committed by a young male in his 20s wearing a red jacket") - well, you don't REALLY need to know things like race. True, but underlying reasoning is that somehow writing it out is offensive, which I find puzzling.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:52
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#51
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/6/9 17:57
Last Login :
2016/11/9 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
It's not about knowing when it's Christmas. It's simply acknowledging it on the school year calendar. If the NYC school system can't acknowledge the most celebrated holiday in the world (and indeed, in NYC) then what gives them the right to list other religion's holidays by name?

Posted on: 2016/10/7 14:32
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
I'll give you Easter but do you really need a calendar to know it's Christmas?

Posted on: 2016/10/7 1:29
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2895
Offline
Quote:

skinny wrote:
Something worth noting.
In all 5 boroughs of New York, here are the rounded percentages of population of following 3 religions.

Christian 75%
Jewish 19%
Muslim 3%

I simply added all religious groups groups and avereged out the numbers.
http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.ph ... ics/3881-a-religious-city

Christians make up the vast majority, Jews are a large minority, and Muslims represent a rather small minority. What is interesting is that the NYC public school calendar does not list a single Christian holiday by name, but Jewish and Muslim holidays are represented.

It lists Christmas as "Winter recess" and Easter as "Spring recess".

To me, at worst this is by design.... at best, a glaring oversight.

How does the city's public school system, where the vast majority of it's citizens are of a particular religion, not acknowledge that in their calendar, but for smaller, more vocal minorities, their holidays are listed by name?
http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/0 ... dlySchoolYearCalendar.pdf
Resized Image
[/img]



Because the school district is run by "progressives" and this is what they care about. You wouldn't see this nonsense in a conservative district.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 0:20
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#48
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/6/9 17:57
Last Login :
2016/11/9 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 29
Offline
Something worth noting.
In all 5 boroughs of New York, here are the rounded percentages of population of following 3 religions.

Christian 75%
Jewish 19%
Muslim 3%

I simply added all religious groups groups and avereged out the numbers.
http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.ph ... ics/3881-a-religious-city

Christians make up the vast majority, Jews are a large minority, and Muslims represent a rather small minority. What is interesting is that the NYC public school calendar does not list a single Christian holiday by name, but Jewish and Muslim holidays are represented.

It lists Christmas as "Winter recess" and Easter as "Spring recess".

To me, at worst this is by design.... at best, a glaring oversight.

How does the city's public school system, where the vast majority of it's citizens are of a particular religion, not acknowledge that in their calendar, but for smaller, more vocal minorities, their holidays are listed by name?
http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/0 ... dlySchoolYearCalendar.pdf
Resized Image
[/img]


Posted on: 2016/10/6 18:18
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Except that your family knew learning english was part of the deal. That we had set holidays, a national language, a specific culture - and that adaptation to that was expected. That isn't really true anymore. Maybe your family would have adapted anyway, but maybe not. Regardless, other families that didn't want to adapt didn't move here. Now, they are perfectly happy moving here - after all, they can get public housing, food stamps, social security, etc.


No, there was no set 'deal' that we learn English but we did so because we wanted to. It is one of the beauties of a country that allows you the freedom to express yourself. However, I do know people who can barely speak the language but live productive lives here. They pay taxes, don't depend on government hand-outs, and smile at you when you pay for your food.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 15:27
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/18 2:57
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 704
Offline
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Reading through all of the arguments on this thread, if one were to decide to embrace religion I would wonder : "why?"


Why not? Let's say you had a subconscious that was telling you that killing and raping people didn't seem right. Then comes a guy who tells you, not only is it your duty, you will also be rewarded for it.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 12:30
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1893
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I think this is an exaggeration. There will always be people resisting and there are always people who are more that ready and willing to embrace the melting pot idea. You think the reason we are talking to each other in English today is because of nativists? No my friend, it is because immigrants like myself believe in America and we were welcomed by it despite my funny sounding language. I grew up here, went to school here, and work here with people who went through the same thing although not all the same experiences and with different degrees of assimilation. If you are claiming that America is over then I claim we are just getting started.


Except that your family knew learning english was part of the deal. That we had set holidays, a national language, a specific culture - and that adaptation to that was expected. That isn't really true anymore. Maybe your family would have adapted anyway, but maybe not. Regardless, other families that didn't want to adapt didn't move here. Now, they are perfectly happy moving here - after all, they can get public housing, food stamps, social security, etc.

Cultures shift. Times change. If it didn't we would still be listening to classical compositions, never owning a tv or sitting at a computer.

This country is a fluid and changes as those that enter change. At one point, Catholics couldn't get a job and now, they're the only Christians on the Supreme Court.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 11:37
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1893
Offline
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Reading through all of the arguments on this thread, if one were to decide to embrace religion I would wonder : "why?"

...for the holidays, of course.

Posted on: 2016/10/6 11:32
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/14 23:28
Last Login :
8/31 11:27
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 348
Offline
Reading through all of the arguments on this thread, if one were to decide to embrace religion I would wonder : "why?"

Posted on: 2016/10/6 11:13
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1761
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I think this is an exaggeration. There will always be people resisting and there are always people who are more that ready and willing to embrace the melting pot idea. You think the reason we are talking to each other in English today is because of nativists? No my friend, it is because immigrants like myself believe in America and we were welcomed by it despite my funny sounding language. I grew up here, went to school here, and work here with people who went through the same thing although not all the same experiences and with different degrees of assimilation. If you are claiming that America is over then I claim we are just getting started.


Except that your family knew learning english was part of the deal. That we had set holidays, a national language, a specific culture - and that adaptation to that was expected. That isn't really true anymore. Maybe your family would have adapted anyway, but maybe not. Regardless, other families that didn't want to adapt didn't move here. Now, they are perfectly happy moving here - after all, they can get public housing, food stamps, social security, etc.


Which time period are you referring to?

Posted on: 2016/10/6 2:19
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
When will all the Jedi followers get their skywalker religious holiday?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/5 21:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I think this is an exaggeration. There will always be people resisting and there are always people who are more that ready and willing to embrace the melting pot idea. You think the reason we are talking to each other in English today is because of nativists? No my friend, it is because immigrants like myself believe in America and we were welcomed by it despite my funny sounding language. I grew up here, went to school here, and work here with people who went through the same thing although not all the same experiences and with different degrees of assimilation. If you are claiming that America is over then I claim we are just getting started.


Except that your family knew learning english was part of the deal. That we had set holidays, a national language, a specific culture - and that adaptation to that was expected. That isn't really true anymore. Maybe your family would have adapted anyway, but maybe not. Regardless, other families that didn't want to adapt didn't move here. Now, they are perfectly happy moving here - after all, they can get public housing, food stamps, social security, etc.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 19:29
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
9/27 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5127
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Middle East and Northern Africa were basically Christian nations.


This is not at all considered an undisputed fact. There were Romanized Christian elites, but what percentage vs traditional animist is not known. Like today, there were never very many Jews anywhere.

Quote:

Islam means surrender they had a choice to surrender or die.


You mean like the choice put by Christians to residents of N & S America, Australia, Philippines, and Africa? You want to use a very carefully filtered version of history.


No, Brewster, I mean the time before the 6th and 7th Centuries, before Islam spread throughout the Middle East and into Northern Africa. It then spread into Europe there it stayed in Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. In fact, Oct. 7th is know as the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, before it was called Our Lady of Victory. The citizens prayed and received a miracle on the defeat of the Moors (Islam) in battle. Europe has been battling Islam for a long time. http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/saint.php?n=617

Posted on: 2016/10/4 19:21
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 21:13
Last Login :
2021/4/5 17:57
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5556
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Middle East and Northern Africa were basically Christian nations.


This is not at all considered an undisputed fact. There were Romanized Christian elites, but what percentage vs traditional animist is not known. Like today, there were never very many Jews anywhere.

Quote:

Islam means surrender they had a choice to surrender or die.


You mean like the choice put by Christians to residents of N & S America, Australia, Philippines, and Africa? You want to use a very carefully filtered version of history.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 19:08
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/2/6 0:52
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 276
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote: I guess you must be a Hillary supporter who endorse her plans to increase the number of Muslim immigrants so this country can be like France with its bombs.


ROTFLMAO !!!

Gotta love Yvonne

Posted on: 2016/10/4 18:12
 Top 




« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017