Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
A local business owner has provided a very well reasoned explanation for his actions and that of some cohorts.

No, no he hasn't. Nearly every word out of his keyboard has been bullshit, exaggerations, unsubstantiated claims and flat out falsehoods.

Like I said, histrionics. You may not agree with his statements, or refuse to believe them. That doesn't change the fact that his post was well reasoned, and very level headed. Which is much more than I can say for the majority of the responses on this thread.

That doesn't change the fact? Thinking that the Two Boots' owner's posts are well reasoned and level headed is not a fact, it's clearly an opinion. (your opinion)

level headed = calm and sensible

I'm not sure you know what a fact is. Level headed, calm and sensible are all subjective evaluations.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
A local business owner has provided a very well reasoned explanation for his actions and that of some cohorts.

No, no he hasn't. Nearly every word out of his keyboard has been bullshit, exaggerations, unsubstantiated claims and flat out falsehoods.

Like I said, histrionics. You may not agree with his statements, or refuse to believe them. That doesn't change the fact that his post was well reasoned, and very level headed. Which is much more than I can say for the majority of the responses on this thread.

His posts are superficially appealing for some because they start off looking friendly and unassuming. However, if you actually look past his demeanor and analyze his reasoning, many would not find it to be "well reasoned and very level headed." He is essentially fear mongering.

The core of his argument is that prepared foods and food trucks in the Plaza will chase away restaurants. That is objectively untrue. Look at how many new restaurants have opened up in the area. They clearly are not concerned with the presence of prepared food at the Farmers Market, or food trucks at the Plaza generally.

If we lived in an alternate reality where restaurants have been shuttering as a result of the market and food trucks, then he is making good arguments. I think we all can agree that the truck owners should be paying something, but his line of reasoning calls for their exclusion from the Plaza. But he's friendly so I guess that makes him correct.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

That doesn't change the fact? Thinking that the Two Boots' owner's posts are well reasoned and level headed is not a fact, it's clearly an opinion. (your opinion)

level headed = calm and sensible

Posted on: 2015/2/27 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/27 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/27 16:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/17 17:31
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the Two Boots website to try to email the owner, and saw that JClist is credited as doing the 'web design'? (not that it's really that 'designed'...). Interesting. I hope there's no conflict of interest (posts getting deleted, etc)

Posted on: 2015/2/27 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/27 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The histrionics in this thread are mind boggling.

A local business owner has provided a very well reasoned explanation for his actions and that of some cohorts. The councilwoman that represents the ward has chimed in and presented equally level headed commentary and perspective. The law is also clear in that there are certain restrictions applicable to the trucks and their operation.

No one can claim that Two Boots, or any other local businesses, are advocating for an outright ban of food trucks. Their complaint is that the self anointed farmers market is not a true farmers market, that the prepared food vendors and food trucks have an unfair advantage, that the organizers of the market are in violation of their charter and that all this is happening in direct contravening of the law.

The food trucks are welcome by most. If an amicable, fair law is drafted, I'm sure things will settle down. There is no need to proclaim such doom and gloom, or to announce threats of boycotting. You ain't a reverend, and this is no Selma.

Fact: There were plenty of food trucks at the Grove Street Plaza and now there are none.

Regarding "histrionics," another fact: Two Boots had the following to say on the subject of the Farmer's Market:

"If we give it time, we will get all of the restaurants we want. But so long as there are tables and food trucks at Grove Plaza restauranteurs will be less likely to build. I know everyone loves convenience. But convenience has costs."

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=361426

Maybe you look at that and think the food trucks are welcome by most. I certainly don't. I see a guy who is actively involved in pushing for his interests in local government, to success (certainly his right), and he wants the food trucks to have no part at the Plaza. I hope I'm wrong, but we will both see what happens as the process plays out.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The histrionics in this thread are mind boggling.

A local business owner has provided a very well reasoned explanation for his actions and that of some cohorts. The councilwoman that represents the ward has chimed in and presented equally level headed commentary and perspective. The law is also clear in that there are certain restrictions applicable to the trucks and their operation.

No one can claim that Two Boots, or any other local businesses, are advocating for an outright ban of food trucks. Their complaint is that the self anointed farmers market is not a true farmers market, that the prepared food vendors and food trucks have an unfair advantage, that the organizers of the market are in violation of their charter and that all this is happening in direct contravening of the law.

The food trucks are welcome by most. If an amicable, fair law is drafted, I'm sure things will settle down. There is no need to proclaim such doom and gloom, or to announce threats of boycotting. You ain't a reverend, and this is no Selma.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, and it wasn't approved or "on the books" until 2013, when it was extended to 300 feet. What is your point? You can't admit that you were dead wrong by falsely claiming "This 300 feet law has been on the books for some time, way longer than Two Boots' existence?"

The reason I mentioned the Two Boots owner is simple. He is the self-proclaimed "spokesman" of a handful of local businesses and led a crusade to ban food trucks and other "prepared food vendors" from the Grove Street Plaza farmer's market. He has plenty to say on the topic, and all of his arguments would seem to support the 300 foot law, and the total banning of all food trucks from the Plaza, as he considers them to be "unfair competition."

Given his vocal positions, I'm pretty sure he and the other businesses he claims to represent would strongly oppose any reform that would allow food trucks near the Plaza. If I'm wrong he or they can say so. In fact, I'd love to be wrong, as this will probably make it easier for the food trucks to return, as he won't be an obstacle for much needed reform. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm mistaken.

Quote:

tamard wrote:

Sorry to you buddy... that you are a newbie to JC and too lazy to do some research. It was originally 200 feet proposed.

This ordinance has been in front of the city board pre 2011

Old food truck thread

Posted on: 2015/2/27 6:13

Edited by JCMan8 on 2015/2/27 6:37:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Sorry to you buddy... that you are a newbie to JC and too lazy to do some research. It was originally 200 feet proposed.

This ordinance has been in front of the city board pre 2011

Old food truck thread

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

The market has always ended in December, so I don't think that's anything strange.

Thanks for clarifying most of my questions, but I think you misunderstand (or perhaps purposefully obfuscate) the statement.

The fact that it's past December should have no relevance to a food truck operating somewhere in the vicinity. The taco cart, for example. was a phenomenal addition to the area and one I miss more than most, especially late nights. They were not part of any market, yet no longer seem to be in that area.

Clearly that is due to the sporadic nonsense about being 300 feet away from a restaurant or get hit with some enormous ticket.

Sad face... you JCListers are too cynical! I wasn't trying to obfuscate - I just misunderstood/read to fast. So it is two things driving the fact that you are seeing fewer food trucks: 1) markets were part of the reasons you saw food trucks (they were legal there under markets) and they end in December and 2) food trucks were illegally parked there during non-market hours and they are probably being enforced due to business owners calling in complaints.

That is why I say that the root of the problem here is that the legislation surrounding food trucks overall is no good and needs to be overhauled. Thriving brick and mortar is not mutually exclusive to food trucks. We should obviously be encouraging food innovation. Solutions for food trucks is something that is 100% being worked on.

Candice, I really appreciate the insight you have provided to this thread and I'm sure many others do too. And I'm heartened by your recognizance of the need for reform and your work on solutions.

Thanks for doing what you do!

Posted on: 2015/2/27 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
Bistro, but your late-night cheap pizza is no substitute.

maybe a bit small for the $2, but definitely in the running for best "standard street slice" in the area. For all the bar/restaurant sides shortcomings, i do like the slice/service or take-away.

oh sure, it's fine for a street slice. but it's no taco truck taco.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Bistro, but your late-night cheap pizza is no substitute.

maybe a bit small for the $2, but definitely in the running for best "standard street slice" in the area. For all the bar/restaurant sides shortcomings, i do like the slice/service or take-away.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry buddy, the 300 foot rule was added in March of 2013.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ons_for_jersey_cit_3.html

Quote:

tamard wrote:
You are 100% wrong on this one and simply using as another opportunity to slander Two Boots owner's name. This "300 feet" law has been on the books for some time, way longer than Two Boots' existence. It was under this law, that the Hamilton Pk Ale House (post Maggie- pre Hamilton Inn) forced food trucks around Hamilton Park to be fined and removed.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

The market has always ended in December, so I don't think that's anything strange.

Thanks for clarifying most of my questions, but I think you misunderstand (or perhaps purposefully obfuscate) the statement.

The fact that it's past December should have no relevance to a food truck operating somewhere in the vicinity. The taco cart, for example. was a phenomenal addition to the area and one I miss more than most, especially late nights. They were not part of any market, yet no longer seem to be in that area.

Clearly that is due to the sporadic nonsense about being 300 feet away from a restaurant or get hit with some enormous ticket.

I think Candice addressed your issue at the end of her post talking about the 300 foot rule. That law was recently put on the books (within the past 2 years). It must be the basis for the huge tickets.

How did it get there? Well, I wouldn't know for sure, but given the Two Boots owner's "outspoken" stance on the issue, it seems pretty logical to me that he was instrumental in lobbying for the 300 foot ban. Also, since it seems the 300 foot rule has only recently been enforced (leading to the total absence of food trucks from the plaza), I would think that Two Boots and the other listed owners are behind this recent enforcement as well.

After all, the same arguments they use to justify the ban of "prepared food" from the Farmers Market are equally applicable to the times when the market is not in session. Finally, given Two Boots posts, it would stand to reason that he would oppose reform of the law that he likely helped implement.

If I'm wrong about any of this I'd love for him to correct me.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 22:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You are 100% wrong on this one and simply using as another opportunity to slander Two Boots owner's name. This "300 feet" law has been on the books for some time, way longer than Two Boots' existence. It was under this law, that the Hamilton Pk Ale House (post Maggie- pre Hamilton Inn) forced food trucks around Hamilton Park to be fined and removed.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

I think Candice addressed your issue at the end of her post talking about the 300 foot rule. That law was recently put on the books (within the past 2 years). It must be the basis for the huge tickets.

How did it get there? Well, I wouldn't know for sure, but given the Two Boots owner's "outspoken" stance on the issue, it seems pretty logical to me that he was instrumental in lobbying for the 300 foot ban. Also, since it seems the 300 foot rule has only recently been enforced (leading to the total absence of food trucks from the plaza), I would think that Two Boots and the other listed owners are behind this recent enforcement as well.

After all, the same arguments they use to justify the ban of "prepared food" from the Farmers Market are equally applicable to the times when the market is not in session. Finally, given Two Boots posts, it would stand to reason that he would oppose reform of the law that he likely helped implement.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Sad face... you JCListers are too cynical! I wasn't trying to obfuscate - I just misunderstood/read to fast. So it is two things driving the fact that you are seeing fewer food trucks: 1) markets were part of the reasons you saw food trucks (they were legal there under markets) and they end in December and 2) food trucks were illegally parked there during non-market hours and they are probably being enforced due to business owners calling in complaints.

That is why I say that the root of the problem here is that the legislation surrounding food trucks overall is no good and needs to be overhauled. Thriving brick and mortar is not mutually exclusive to food trucks. We should obviously be encouraging food innovation. Solutions for food trucks is something that is 100% being worked on.

Candice, I really appreciate the insight you have provided to this thread and I'm sure many others do too. And I'm heartened by your recognizance of the need for reform and your work on solutions.

Thanks for doing what you do!

Posted on: 2015/2/26 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/26 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/26 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

The fact that it's past December should have no relevance to a food truck operating somewhere in the vicinity. The taco cart, for example, was a phenomenal addition to the area and one I miss more than most, especially late nights. They were not part of any market, yet no longer seem to be in that area.

oh I miss that taco cart! and sorry, Bistro, but your late-night cheap pizza is no substitute.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/26 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Reading this update, and if I've missed something, kindly correct me, but things still aren't crystal clear to me.

There are subsidies to be had for farmer's markets. Correct?
Was this particular market with the vendors/trucks told that they needed less/no stands from prepared foods in order to receive these subsidies?
If so, who told them, and how was this a change from the previous time when they had trucks, etc.?

Related topic:

There is currently not a farmer's market operating. There are also no food trucks operating. Why?
Are stories of enormous tickets accurate?
What law has changed?
Who is behind this change?
Are we to believe that this change has not come about - at least in part - due to the lobbying of these businesses previously mentioned?

Correct, there are subsidies for farmers markets, not for regular markets. We've never had legal farmers markets, only regular markets. This is new legislation to create a new designation of farmers markets. People can choose to be a farmers markets or continue as regular market.

Yes, the market was told if they wanted to receive the brand new designation of farmers market they would need to comply with the legislation (which does have a requirement about the amount of prepared foods that can be sold at the market as well as other things.) Many people have told them that. In past years, they have operated without a farmers market designation and they can continue to do so if they want, no problem whatsoever. It is a decision of the downtown SID (who runs the market) if they want to be a farmers market or just a regular market.

There is no change. The existing market can continue to operate April - December like they always have. It is just up to them if they want to change to become a designated farmers market.

In terms of tickets, that is likely true because there are existing laws on the books that say food trucks (operating outside of a specific market/festival/etc) cannot be within 300 feet of a business. It is sporadically enforced. That existing legislation is confusing and poor and needs to be changed. We have been discussing with food truck operators solutions that make more sense.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Reading this update, and if I've missed something, kindly correct me, but things still aren't crystal clear to me.

There are subsidies to be had for farmer's markets. Correct?
Was this particular market with the vendors/trucks told that they needed less/no stands from prepared foods in order to receive these subsidies?
If so, who told them, and how was this a change from the previous time when they had trucks, etc.?

Related topic:

There is currently not a farmer's market operating. There are also no food trucks operating. Why?
Are stories of enormous tickets accurate?
What law has changed?
Who is behind this change?
Are we to believe that this change has not come about - at least in part - due to the lobbying of these businesses previously mentioned?

Posted on: 2015/2/26 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I live by JSQ as well, and with my last GF, who lived only a few blocks up from Gorve, and with my current one, who lives out of town but works by the waterfront, we would often take the walk to look at the vendors at the plaza, but most of the time would wind up eating at a sit down place nearby. There are other farmers markets in town, so the variety of vendors was a bigger draw for us.

While we would occasionally pick up something from a food truck, it would be on days when we would go home, and it would be instead of ordering in.

Now, we have less reason to go walking by the plaza, so our local restaurant money gets spent in other parts of town.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I wonder if the farmers have a concern about less prepared food cutting down on the people coming to the market. What if empanadas are the draw and kale an afterthought? I'm usually there by 6, are they mostly sold out by closing?

I also wonder if the non-food related businesses who also, presumably, pay fees to the SID, taxes, etc., were consulted about the actions against the food trucks.

My PATH stop is JSQ, but if I know the trucks and other prepared food are at the market, I'll sometimes pop out on my way home just to pick up something quick and cheap. Since I'm already there, I'll usually pick up a book or gift at Word, or some pet food at Fussy Friends, browse at Another Man's Treasure, etc. I wonder how other businesses in the area feel about cutting something that promotes that kind of foot traffic.

Is there a list of people that are in the SID, it's a great point you make.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 3:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I wonder if the farmers have a concern about less prepared food cutting down on the people coming to the market. What if empanadas are the draw and kale an afterthought? I'm usually there by 6, are they mostly sold out by closing?

I also wonder if the non-food related businesses who also, presumably, pay fees to the SID, taxes, etc., were consulted about the actions against the food trucks.

My PATH stop is JSQ, but if I know the trucks and other prepared food are at the market, I'll sometimes pop out on my way home just to pick up something quick and cheap. Since I'm already there, I'll usually pick up a book or gift at Word, or some pet food at Fussy Friends, browse at Another Man's Treasure, etc. I wonder how other businesses in the area feel about cutting something that promotes that kind of foot traffic.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:

You MUST be joking... The Farmers Market is located IN THE GROVE STREET PATH PLAZA. People need not go out of their way for the farmers and businesses there to get a steady stream of foot traffic. It is virtually impossible for the market NOT to be a complete and utter success given its location and guaranteed foot traffic.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/25 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe they can find a place for food trucks in the parking lot behind city hall in the evening limit the # of food trucks in the sid to 2 or 3.

how are food trucks regulated in hoboken, ny?

Hoboken:
http://ecode360.com/16076963

Posted on: 2015/2/25 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Or every other major city in the country that accommodates the growing food truck scene.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
maybe they can find a place for food trucks in the parking lot behind city hall in the evening limit the # of food trucks in the sid to 2 or 3.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 19:41

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017