Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Affordable folding bike recommendations?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/5 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
Try Downtube; greater value for your $ compared to Dahon. IMHO.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 20:07

Affordable folding bike recommendations?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/14 2:06
From 2nd Floor on Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Any recommendations for a good, affordable folding bike for casual riding? Our regular bikes were damaged in the hurricane, time to give up and get new ones, preferably folding.

Posted on: 2013/8/18 19:22

Re: Folding bicycles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
my dad just bought a dahon from union cycle center...he loves it. i haven't given it a spin yet but i'm sure he'll make me take it for a ride one of these days. looks to be a pretty cool folding bike though.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ratslayer wrote:
I'm gonna hit up Gotham. I need to get the bike checked out to start the warranty. Time will tell if the bike can withstand the bad roads of JC and my 200lbs. But for $300 bucks ... I hope to use the bike more often when I start commuting into Midtown next year -- peddle from 33rd Path up 6th Ave to Uncle Rupert's bunker.

It will with stand the rough and tough of J.C. streets. I have a Dahon folder as well wouldn't laeve home without it. I laugh at the parking authority everytime I pass them by.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stranger wrote:
I have a Dahon Speed 7 and love it. You lose a little top end speed, but gain a lot of versatility. Definitely ride before you buy. I'd highly recommend Gotham Bikes on W Broadway in NYC. Buy it there and they'll tune it for life. And it's unfortunately probably the closest bike shop to downtown.

Gotham's a great bike shop. I've been going there for years, and have bought several bikes there for me and my wife. They know and love the folding bikes, too (I used to own a Dahon Piccolo, which they serviced for me on a regular basis -- see previous post in this thread, I'm not a big fan of Dahon build quality, and no longer own one).

Posted on: 2008/6/25 16:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Just bought a Dahon Speed 7 and I love it! It's no doubt made for smooth road surfaces -- so the likes of Newark Ave gives you a bit of bumpy ride. Other than that, I have no trouble making up the hill to Journal Square or gathering up a nice head of steam on a flat, well-paved straightaway.

Posted on: 2008/6/25 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:
I have 2 friends in the city with these - they're cool because they roll when folded and have a belt drive (no grease on your pants leg!)

http://www.strida.com/

(in person the aluminum one is really cool-looking, but as with most cool-looking things, they're more expensive)

I have a Strida 5 that I use to commute to New York every day via the Path. The pros: they are super fast to fold, you can wheel them around like a rolling suitcase, they are very well made and they fit underneath the turnstiles. The cons: they are a little cramped for a tall person (you wouldn't want to be taller than 6' on one) and the gearing/wheel size makes for a relatively slow bike.

Conclusion: if you're going to be using public transportation and your bike on the same trip, I would highly recommend it. If not, it's probably better to go with another folder with bigger wheels and more gears.

Posted on: 2008/6/4 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
I have 2 friends in the city with these - they're cool because they roll when folded and have a belt drive (no grease on your pants leg!)

http://www.strida.com/

(in person the aluminum one is really cool-looking, but as with most cool-looking things, they're more expensive)

Posted on: 2008/6/4 14:53
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I think the Brompton, by far, is the best folding bike with respect to the ease and compactness of folding and unfolding. To me, it rides great, but I have never tried a Dahon. Bromptons cost more, but I have been absolutely thrilled with mine. The engineering is amazing.

Posted on: 2008/6/4 14:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/22 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
I have a Dahon Speed 7 and love it. You lose a little top end speed, but gain a lot of versatility. Definitely ride before you buy. I'd highly recommend Gotham Bikes on W Broadway in NYC. Buy it there and they'll tune it for life. And it's unfortunately probably the closest bike shop to downtown.

Posted on: 2008/6/4 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Croft, if we show up with you is there a jclist discount? Gotta replace a stolen rear tire some asshat stole.

you folding afficianodo's might want to check out bikefriday.com too.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 19:50
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
union cycle center stocks the dahon...the name slipped my mind. nice folding bike.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i was up at my dad's friends bike store (union cycle center on bergenline and i think 44th or so) yesterday. he's got a few folding bikes there...one i know was a giant, the other was another brand, a bit lighter, with higher end components on it (shifters/crankset/vbrakes)

Posted on: 2008/6/3 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Suze wrote:
Thanks for the info! What retailer did you go to or did you buy it online?

You are better off going to a store they can give you some pointers, in store warranty, probably a year's free maintence, It's tough to get recourse online. I believe you can order direct from Dahon if you must order online. But your best bet is to go to the bike shop in North Bergen they are across from the Hudson County Park (James J. Braddock Park) on the corner of 85th St. They have an ample selection and accessories for the Dahon Folders.

James Vincent Bicycles
8505 Bergenline Avenue, North Bergen, NJ 07047
(201) 869-1901

http://www.jamesvincentbicycles.com/

http://www.dahon.com/

For this weekend's 3 day Philadelphia Folding Bike Event click link below, they will have lectures, folding bike test rides, contests, and a ride along the Philly bike path. Click the link......
http://www.trophybikes.com/events.php?catid=7

Posted on: 2008/6/3 17:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/14 13:30
Group:
Registered Users
I have a Dahon. The Vitesse D7HG. I've only had it a few weeks and I love it. I thought I would only ride to work on a rare occasion, but I find my self on it almost every day.

I live on Manila ave. and I ride about 1 mile to the ferry, and then another mile to my office in the financial district. Because it folds nywaterway doesn't charge me the extra 1$ bike surcharge.

Occasionally I take it on the train, its compact enough to not be a problem, the worst part are the stairs and turnstiles.

I highly recommend Dahon, I cant speak for the boardwalk but on the Vitesse the parts are good quality.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 16:32

Dahon Folding Bikes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have a Dahon?

I'm probably going to see if I can test drive one at a retailer sometime this weekend but I'm curious to know if anyone has one, if you'd recommend this brand, have come across problems, etc.

I'm looking at the Boardwalk model or the newer version of it, I think it's a Speed D7. I'd basically use it to tool around town or maybe make some light trips to the grocery store.

Posted on: 2008/6/3 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mathias wrote:
Actually last Saturday I was riding down Palisade Ave and a police car was behind me. I was taking a car lane not riding on the side of the road because I was doing the speed limit. At the next stop light the patrol car sped up alongside me and told me to get the *bleep* out of the road.

I informed the officers that when a bike is traveling at the speed limit they are allowed to take a car lane. They said something and drove off as the light changed.

Here is the state law on Bicycling in NJ

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle should ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

I love number 4 but the cop shouldn't have given you number 2 in more ways than one. I think you should carry that with you( 39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations)when you Lance along the roads of J.C. incase these cops use the Armstrong I mean the strong arm of their law against you.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

201 wrote:
I got a single speed 26inch ( not fixie ) and it's the best. When it's warm I try to get in atleast 10miles a few times a week on it. It's kinda shitty the lightrail/path trains aren't bike friendly during peek hours. I've gotten into heated shouting matches with over zealous path employees trying to enforce the 3:30 time at 2:45-3:00 going towards NYC.. It's pretty pointless if you live downtown to lock your bike up at the station and leave it for 8-10 hours.

Anyone else have a JCPD car tell them to get on the sidewalk?? It's happened to me a few times and it was weird... I'm not complaining people drive crazy on Palisade ave late at night.. That's an instant summons in NYC

Actually last Saturday I was riding down Palisade Ave and a police car was behind me. I was taking a car lane not riding on the side of the road because I was doing the speed limit. At the next stop light the patrol car sped up alongside me and told me to get the *bleep* out of the road.

I informed the officers that when a bike is traveling at the speed limit they are allowed to take a car lane. They said something and drove off as the light changed.

Here is the state law on Bicycling in NJ

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle should ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

201 wrote:
I got a single speed 26inch ( not fixie ) and it's the best. When it's warm I try to get in atleast 10miles a few times a week on it. It's kinda shitty the lightrail/path trains aren't bike friendly during peek hours. I've gotten into heated shouting matches with over zealous path employees trying to enforce the 3:30 time at 2:45-3:00 going towards NYC.. It's pretty pointless if you live downtown to lock your bike up at the station and leave it for 8-10 hours.

Anyone else have a JCPD car tell them to get on the sidewalk?? It's happened to me a few times and it was weird... I'm not complaining people drive crazy on Palisade ave late at night.. That's an instant summons in NYC

That's an amazing story, both of them. I afraid to ride on the sidewalk in Nyc (ticket) and the street in J.C. (accidents)As far as the trains are concerned the PATH hours for NO bikes are 6:30 am - 9:30 am & 3:30 - 6:30 pm. Basicly NO bike during rush hour. I've tried getting on a crowded PATH train with a folder, I started to feel guilty about doing so. Buy hey if it's prior of after the banned hours then pick up a PATH phone and either speak to a PATH supervisor or call for a PA cop to settle the banned hours. Here's a link to follow.
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/rules.html

Posted on: 2008/4/10 14:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/4/10 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed some new bike racks around downtown - a few by city hall and the Boys & Girls Club.

Only negative, though I am sure there will be more identified, is that one of the racks was placed smack in the front of city hall and the Soldier and Sailor's monument.

Christine - have you thought about setting up the yahoo group for bicyclists?

Dan

Posted on: 2008/4/8 13:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
heights - sounds like you could ride in a blizzard w/ your gear ;)

Posted on: 2008/3/5 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Actually if you where the right gear you wont freeze your ass off or get killed, and plus your body creates a lot of heat as your burning calories. The one real disadvantage of riding a bike is when it's raining, the tires shoot water at your ass so I try to never ride in the rain.

You're warmer on a bike than you are on foot.

Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville--do you mind sharing more details about your experience with the youth of JC? I am assuming they separated you from your bike, and I have been a little nervous about this possibility. So I am wondering where you were, what time of day---any way to avoid it, etc. Thank you!

Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Um why do most bicyclists that I see ride on the sidewalk? Are they that scared of Jersey City traffic? It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk so please if your gonna ride please do it on street, I do it all the time! I used to commute to work in a car but then I figured out that I could save a lot of money by just taking a bike to work everyday so. It adds about 5-10 minutes to my commute but when you factor in the time that it takes to warm up a car it's not that big of a difference.
Big D wrote:
Warm up the car? What about freezing your ass off on your bike? I commend you for being able to bike it each day. That is pretty cool.
I have to say that I have been on my bike on sidewalk on certain JC streets. I'd rather live than violate a bicycle law

You're darn safer on the walk than the pavement, plus its Jersey City so don't worry. And yeah by the time you warm up your car you would have already warmed up your body on a bike. I have the perfect garb for winter riding, such as: a base layer shirt, thick long sleeve bike shirt, bike fleece pull over, paper thin wind treated bike jacket, an actual insulated roomy bike jacket. This along with bike thermals, wind treated bike pants, long wool sox, & bike shoe booties or wind treated toe warmers, thick winter bike gloves, wind treated helmet cover, ear muffs preferably the 180's, a neck warmer gator, and clear lens glasses so your eyes won't tear. Wind treated meaning wind resistant Cold what cold!

Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Christine ? great idea, it is a start. I suggest yahoo groups, only because I am part of many?.

For any bike questions, feel free to email miles@selfpropelledcity.com. Our emphasis was/will be urban cycling, folders, internal hub? he may get set up to do repairs out of his garage in Lafayette (a couple of blocks from the Light Rail) this spring. You will get genuine advice. If when / if we do open, the shop will be fully integrated into the community ? why, because I am already up to my neck in it?.

As I bike everyday to north Hoboken in almost all weather, my commuter bike wish list is fenders, fronts shocks, mountain bike or hybrid tires (Kevlar, hevlar) and some kind of chain / disc guard. With the increase in availability of internal hub (gears in the rear hub), this gets added to the list. A small frame is also good for starting/stopping/lift/control.

Presently, besides a Cannondale M400, hard tail, no front shocks, easy and light, I also use a full size folding bike. While not suitable for commuting on the PATH/Subway, it does fold in half to fit in a car trunk? It is made by Montague which has a line of full size folders (though mine was branded Mongoose.).

I have lived here 12+ years without a car (used rentals and zip cars when needed) and bike for most things/places. Our children are 7 and 5 and also cycle whenever they can, a big issue since streets are certainly a lot more dangerous for kids on bikes than adults, but they should be able to bike to school and safely to LSP.

My email is daniel.levin@verizon.net

Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BigD wrote:
Warm up the car? What about freezing your ass off on your bike? I commend you for being able to bike it each day. That is pretty cool.

I have to say that I have been on my bike on sidewalk on certain JC streets. I'd rather live than violate a bicycle law.

Actually if you where the right gear you wont freeze your ass off or get killed, and plus your body creates a lot of heat as your burning calories. The one real disadvantage of riding a bike is when it's raining, the tires shoot water at your ass so I try to never ride in the rain. Oh and I forgot to mention to avoid the many sets of friendly kids who would love to have a new bicycle, I learned that the hard way.

Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/28 21:20
Group:
Registered Users

I have to say that I have been on my bike on sidewalk on certain JC streets. I'd rather live than violate a bicycle law.

Posted on: 2008/3/5 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Um why do most bicyclists that I see ride on the sidewalk? Are they that scared of Jersey City traffic? It's illegal to ride on the sidewalk so please if your gonna ride please do it on street, I do it all the time! I used to commute to work in a car but then I figured out that I could save a lot of money by just taking a bike to work everyday so. It adds about 5-10 minutes to my commute but when you factor in the time that it takes to warm up a car it's not that big of a difference.

Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
yes, lets set something up. somebody message me. im in for riding, emploring, advocating, etc.

ps-that really sucks that its more convenient to go back to NYC for a reliable bike shop. how can not one shop survive in this city and a suburb like parsippany has two or three?

Posted on: 2008/3/5 17:33

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017