Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Downtown JC Ticket Frenzy
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/2 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
mwa7368 wrote:
"I agree that it is arbitrary and sporadic but I think that can be attributed to Healy and the police chief of his admin."

It's gone on long before Healy, and the police chief had nothing to do with parking enforcement, especially concerning matters such as proximity to crosswalks. If Fulop can fix it, more power to him.

"It's not the governments responsibility to provide a street parking space for all of the permits issued, have you ever tried parking in Hoboken or Astoria Queens? You don't know what "Hard to find a spot" means until you have."

Why would you not expect government to address such a gross oversight? If there is an issuance of permits to residents that exceeds the number of parking spaces available, why should that not be something which the government addresses, if not rectifies? Just because So-broken and Ass-tore-ya are doing it all wrong, does not mean we should also. As a resident of the city, if you pay to park your car on the street, and there is not legal parking available, and there is no other alternative (like a public lot for residents), you are in essence encouraged to park illegally (ie, if the traffic light never went red, you would be encouraged to jaywalk), thereby promoting unsafe parking practices, and then punishing someone whom likely would otherwise have done the right thing if the correct provisions were in place.

"I appreciate when the city enforces these laws because despite your position of it being "deliberate and unprovoked punishment" it helps reduce vehicular accidents and keep pedestrians safe. Your narrow self serving position on the law is not in fact what is in the best interest of the majority of the citizens of the city. If you need proof of this just look through some old posts of accidents on Erie street, all the T-bones around 3rd st. The fact that people park right up to the corner on the cross streets mean that people driving down Erie can't see the drivers on the cross street and the other way around."

We?re not talking about parking right up on the corner, so dont take this argument out of context - that straw man shit is just stupid. We?re talking about someone being seven feet behind the crosswalk, which is perfectly reasonable and realistic in a city.

"Your argument about defenders of the ticketing being pulled over for 1MPH over the limit is a real stretch. 1 point for dramatics."

Thanks for the drama point, but that was the intent of the statement, to be hyperbolic, and articulate that the inane ramblings of persons such as yourself, are tiresome and foolish (though I?m not surprised you missed the point). The notion is that pulling someone over for going 1 mph over the speed limit is analogous to ticketing someone parked within 25 feet of the crosswalk, but posing no danger. So, you?re simple, without the capacity for inference. No points.

"If you want your own parking spot you can pay for one in the many private lots around the city, including Newport Mall. "

I could care less. I dont even have a car. It's the principle. Have any of those? It?s evident you take arguments out of context, and repackage them as something else, because you are unable to make an argument on terms you do not dictate. If you are so enamored with the notion of legalism, I can only hope the enforcement you desire will take effect. Those whom tend to judge as harshly as do you, will surely pad the coiffers of this fine city with compensation from innumerable infractions (albeit, all dull and uninspired, much as you seem to be) - it seems to always be the minister preaching against ?gays and degradation? that ends up smoking meth and banging male strippers. I will await your next sermon.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
finally! long overdue - hey listen, if you own a car in a a city, you have to follow the rules to the letter, there's a reason for that.

Quote:

driverjase wrote:
Ha... just saw mwa7368's comment.
Looks like we might walk the same path.

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
This is great news!! Finally we'll get some proper enforcement! I can't tell you how many times I've cursed those cars because I can't see what's around the corner when making a turn. Now let's not stop there, what about fines for abandon properties, garbage cans with no lids, not shoveling the sidewalk, dogs with no leashes, not curbing your animal, dumping trash in public garbage cans, running stop signs and red lights, speeding on Erie Street, speeding on Manila, not stopping for pedestrians in a crosswalk!
Make it happen Fulop!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 4:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ha... just saw mwa7368's comment.
Looks like we might walk the same path.

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
This is great news!! Finally we'll get some proper enforcement! I can't tell you how many times I've cursed those cars because I can't see what's around the corner when making a turn. Now let's not stop there, what about fines for abandon properties, garbage cans with no lids, not shoveling the sidewalk, dogs with no leashes, not curbing your animal, dumping trash in public garbage cans, running stop signs and red lights, speeding on Erie Street, speeding on Manila, not stopping for pedestrians in a crosswalk!
Make it happen Fulop!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 4:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Typical society response. I did something wrong, I think I'll blame someone else rather than admit I made a mistake, learn a lesson, and carry on with my life.

Look, its about time these laws get enforced. I hope they enforce all the parking rules. Its a bit too early to blame the mayor, yet get upset that the enforcement isn't consistent. Perhaps (and hopefully it will) be consistent moving forward.

It's almost impossible to cross streets when there are cars parked right to (and sometimes past) the stop signs. You can't see past them.

Now put some cops out and ticket the people rolling (and sometimes blowing) through stop signs on Erie, almost running over pedestrians on Manilla, parking in the middle of crosswalks, etc, etc.

But good luck with fighting that ticket.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Make it happen Fulop!

+10,000

Posted on: 2013/7/18 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that it is arbitrary and sporadic but I think that can be attributed to Healy and the police chief of his admin. It's not the governments responsibility to provide a street parking space for all of the permits issued, have you ever tried parking in Hoboken or Astoria Queens? You don't know what "Hard to find a spot" means until you have. I appreciate when the city enforces these laws because despite your position of it being "deliberate and unprovoked punishment" it helps reduce vehicular accidents and keep pedestrians safe. Your narrow self serving position on the law is not in fact what is in the best interest of the majority of the citizens of the city. If you need proof of this just look through some old posts of accidents on Erie street, all the T-bones around 3rd st. The fact that people park right up to the corner on the cross streets mean that people driving down Erie can't see the drivers on the cross street and the other way around. If you want your own parking spot you can pay for one in the many private lots around the city, including Newport Mall.
Your argument about defenders of the ticketing being pulled over for 1MPH over the limit is a real stretch. 1 point for dramatics.

Quote:

duh wrote:
The original poster raises a good point. The parking enforcement is arbitrary and sporadic. While it is the law that one should be 25 feet from a crosswalk, that is a realistic impossibility given all of the parking permits issued by the parking authority. If the law is to be obeyed, we should be given ample off-street public parking, particularly given that we are expected to pay (granted a modest fee) to park on a public street, in a city in which we live. The (nearly) spontaneous ticketing that occurs is both terrible business and politics, and does nothing to encourage respect to the authority administering such deliberate and unprovoked punishment, following an unpredictable hiatus. It?s manipulative and disingenuous, and should not be part of how city government conducts itself. I dont think I could name one person that never violates the law (jay walking, tossing a cigarette butt, loitering), and if those laws were enforced as haphazardly as the parking enforcement, this would be a nearly unbearable police state. (I?d be tempted to wager that anyone on this site who defends the ticketing of the OP, is at any given moment in violation of some law, in some form, and would find it needlessly punitive to have that enforced (ie, pulled over for speeding when going 26mph in a 25mph zone, ticketed because your gum wrapper blew out of one the holes in the public garbage can)).

Posted on: 2013/7/18 2:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I definitely agree the inconsistency in enforcement is maddening. The other night I parked behind a "don't park past here" sign because it was late, I was tired and the St. Anthony's fest was chewing up a lot of spots that created even less parking (not complaining, love that festival). Where I parked did not present a dangerous situation to drivers as it was on the right side of a one-way street going east coming off a one-way going south, but I knew I was breaking the law and would probably get ticketed. I did get a ticket the next day and fully accept that.

Given that, I also agree enforcing 25 feet from the curb is totally ridiculous given the parking situation around here. Pretty much every time I take the car out I risk my life due to cars blocking sight lines by parking completely up to the curb, and those cars never, ever have tickets on them. If they're going to bust people for parking in innocuous illegal spots it'd sure be nice to see them busting people who are both breaking the law and significantly raising the odds of an accident occurring.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 2:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/2 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
The original poster raises a good point. The parking enforcement is arbitrary and sporadic. While it is the law that one should be 25 feet from a crosswalk, that is a realistic impossibility given all of the parking permits issued by the parking authority. If the law is to be obeyed, we should be given ample off-street public parking, particularly given that we are expected to pay (granted a modest fee) to park on a public street, in a city in which we live. The (nearly) spontaneous ticketing that occurs is both terrible business and politics, and does nothing to encourage respect to the authority administering such deliberate and unprovoked punishment, following an unpredictable hiatus. It?s manipulative and disingenuous, and should not be part of how city government conducts itself. I dont think I could name one person that never violates the law (jay walking, tossing a cigarette butt, loitering), and if those laws were enforced as haphazardly as the parking enforcement, this would be a nearly unbearable police state. (I?d be tempted to wager that anyone on this site who defends the ticketing of the OP, is at any given moment in violation of some law, in some form, and would find it needlessly punitive to have that enforced (ie, pulled over for speeding when going 26mph in a 25mph zone, ticketed because your gum wrapper blew out of one the holes in the public garbage can)).

Posted on: 2013/7/18 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Make it happen Fulop!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 21:02
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone had a first post, right smart guy? Keep your stupid comments to yourself. Quote:
o73o2 wrote:

let me get this straight: you have been parking illegally for a year, are upset that the rules are being enforced, and you are blaming it on the mayor. oh, and BTW, this is your first post ... hmmm ... i smell a troll

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I hope they enforce parking rules on Newark ave in Little India.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bondman99 wrote:
Agreed, I am technically in the wrong but as has probably been stated in this forum before, to restrict parking within 25-50 feet of a crosswalk or stop sign is ridiculous. And to not enforce it consistently is even more ridiculous.

i don't think either of your points will get you out of the ticket. the rules be the rules. why not consider it a bonus that you got to park like that for so long?

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users

let me get this straight: you have been parking illegally for a year, are upset that the rules are being enforced, and you are blaming it on the mayor. oh, and BTW, this is your first post ... hmmm ... i smell a troll

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed, I am technically in the wrong but as has probably been stated in this forum before, to restrict parking within 25-50 feet of a crosswalk or stop sign is ridiculous. And to not enforce it consistently is even more ridiculous.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
the distance from crosswalk rule is frustrating. It's almost never marked, but it is state law. Enforcement needs to be consistent as people break the law on every block 24/7.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
How ya gonna fight that when technically you're in the wrong? Blaming it on the Mayor?

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/17 17:38
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the warning!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
You're shit out of luck. Pay up.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:05

Downtown JC Ticket Frenzy

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone else seen an increase in parking tickets this week around the grove street area? I've been parking my car in zone 1 for over a year now and have not gotten a single ticket until this week when I went to my car tonight on Barrow St and saw 2 tickets, along with a host of other cars. Both tickets were for the same offense - parking within 25 feet of a crosswalk. As many of you know it is common practice to park close to the crosswalk in this area as parking is limited, and 25 feet is quite a bit of distance. I was about 7 feet from the crosswalk, which is plenty of space. I don't believe this has been enforced until this week.. so beware! I'll be going to court to fight this nonsense of a ticket.

Thanks Mayor!

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:02

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017