Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Thoughts on Journal Square and Greenville?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
+++1 Inthecity

Posted on: 2012/10/24 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GV was "black and poor" and therefore not a desirable place to live reeks of racisim.

Welcome to the new Jersey Shitty!

Posted on: 2012/10/22 16:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/30 0:47
Group:
Registered Users
I am a little confused by the direction of this thread and the subtle hints of ignorance I detect. It seems the original question was about the areas of JSQ and GV and which was better. Of course demographic information is important when answering the question but the initial comment made about how GV was "black and poor" and therefore not a desirable place to live reeks of racisim. As if to say that if it was poor and white it might be an option? Greenville is not all black first of all an no sections of it are not very safe but last time I heard neither were sections of Colorado where the population is less diverse. The diversity of the community is one of the reasons I moved to JC. Unlike Hoboken which is mostly homogenized and has zero cool factor because the businesses there cater to the new majority there. Sure it is safe but I always get the feeling that the people who lived there definitely are not interested in mixing and mingling with folks of varying ethnicities. My hope is that ALL of jC grows and that crime is reduced in all sections. I live in near Lincoln Park in the JSQ are so I can speak to the area and it is up and coming. Yes there are issues and people who take little pride in where they live etc., but that is what happens in urban areas that have been economically depressed for decades. BK becoming a cool place to live did not happen overnight. Sidebar: the diversity is part of what makes Brooklyn cool. The eclectic mix On every level the exact opposite of Hoboken and a commonality with JC. I agree and would like nothing more than to see less cheap stores and chicken shacks in JC but as an entrepreneur looking to open a biz in Downtown JC the rents I have seen thus far are very high makin it hard for cool upstarts to take advantage of the gentrification in the area. Rezpning of spaces and incentives to small business who want to open in JC from the city government might help. They have already been given to major companies to build high rises and luxury living quarters.
The point is JC will get better when the community as a whole demands it get better. Thinking only about the section in which you love an focusing on that as a priority is small minded.
I am black and I am not poor and I live in JSQ.Quote:

Knicks2013 wrote:
Moving to JC soon, what is the word on Journal square and Greenville?

Posted on: 2012/10/21 16:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/13 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone is interested, I am renting out a 2-3 br, 3 bath home in the Jersey City Heights Western Slope heights area for approx. $1800 per month; there are two parking spaces and everything has just been freshly painted and all new flooring throughout; 3 zone heating, central air conditioning, basement has it's own a/c and heat and bathroom, high ceilings, gas heat, private fenced in yard with 20 foot shed, low maintenance outside. Close proximity to tunnels and ferry to NYC, plus path trains and buses and shopping in nearby Secaucus. Please email me at psg09298@hotmail.com if you are interested! Thanks! Patty G

Posted on: 2012/9/9 1:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
According to googlemaps

Here is an idea, why not try it for yourself... I lived on Belmont in Kennedy way back, and it its about 15min during winter months (most people walk faster when its cold out) and about 25 min during summer... To the original poster of this thread choose wisely what part of town u live in some of these fools will be your neighbors.

Guess what numb-nuts, I have tried it. Its a solid mile, I do live in the area and I do regularly walk or run to Lincoln park, it is not close. I cited google maps solely to back up the distance I mentioned. Not sure what your point is since you agreed with me that its an average 20min walk from Belmont and Kennedy to JSQ.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
According to googlemaps

Here is an idea, why not try it for yourself... I lived on Belmont in Kennedy way back, and it its about 15min during winter months (most people walk faster when its cold out) and about 25 min during summer... To the original poster of this thread choose wisely what part of town u live in some of these fools will be your neighbors.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 18:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

od49 wrote:
Lincoln Park, at Belmont and JFK, is slightly less than 1 mile from the PATH, a 15 minute walk along JFK. You can also bike to/from PATH. All cities have people who hang out in public places.

According to googlemaps, whose accuracy I trust, Belmont and JFK is exactly 1 mile from JSQ, 20 min walk for the average person. And this is the very tippy tip of the park, do you really want to go to LP to sit in that section of dusty half-dirt lawn and watch traffic speed down JFK? It is 1.5 mi to the fountain, which is what I think of as the entrance to the actual park. You can keep adding distance for the basketball or tennis courts, playing fields, track etc. and yes, every city has people hanging around in public spaces, but in JSQ its usually exclusively the scumbags, not a healthy demographic mix. Think Union Sq, plenty of dirtballs there too, but also college kids, old folks, families etc, all kinds hanging around on a nice day.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 18:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
explore the city.. discover the different neighborhoods.. they all have something unique to add to life..

Posted on: 2012/9/5 22:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 23:22
Group:
Registered Users
Lincoln Park, at Belmont and JFK, is slightly less than 1 mile from the PATH, a 15 minute walk along JFK. You can also bike to/from PATH. All cities have people who hang out in public places.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not black either but the being poor part is open to interpretation, heh heh
I moved to Journal Square from the Heights a few months ago and I'm loving it. It gets real quiet at night and I enjoy that after working all day. Plus everything is within walking distance from where I am...the post office, three banks, grocery shopping, the PATH station, doctors, dentists, cheap eats. What's not to like!!
That being said, I agree there aren't enough parks and Lincoln Park is too far to stroll to it. Maybe the JC Parks Coalition and Sustainable Jersey City can get involved to change that.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 22:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

someguyinjc wrote:
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
JSQ is not gentrified yet, but it is definitely the next area of JC to do so. . . The other downside is there are no parks in the neighborhood, and the only public space, which is Journal Sq itself, is full of scumbags sleeping on benches and falling over on the side walk. Sooner or later, this will all change. . . .

Lincoln Park is not too bad, but it's about 10 blocks south of the PATH station along 440. I passed by one evening and it seemed a little eerie, so your best bet is probably to go during the daylight hours. There is even a track to run on and several baseball diamonds scattered throughout the premises.

FDS, I agree that the "occupants" by the JSQ fountain leave much to be desired. For the most part, they just talk smack and waste the hours away while getting a healthy dose of UV radiation. Aside from the occasional off-color remarks hurled at unsuspecting passersby, they seem to be harmless. When the OWS crowd set up a makeshift satellite site at JSQ, I saw some of these "locals" actually try to talk with them. How's that for solidarity?

As for a time frame... Who knows? Maybe we'll see the changes within our lifetime, maybe not, but that's why it's called an investment, eh?

Lincoln Park is plenty nice, but it is 1.5 miles from the center of Journal Sq, too far for a casual stroll, a trip there and back on foot would easily take an hour, and thats without stopping to smell the roses (or is that dog feces?)
As far as the JSQ fountain hang-arounders, they don't actually ever say or do anything to me, but some of them frequently have something rude to say to single girls. Whatsmore they are a big sign that the city doesn't even care to keep up appearances around here

Posted on: 2012/9/4 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
]
Here is the thing with Newark ave - the commercial spaces are huge. .[/quote]

Is there a zoning reason why some of these large spaces can't be divided up on the inside with several businesses sharing a common entrance? Or, why can't they be divided so that we have store fronts on Columbus as well as Newark? Those big spaces could easily accommodate several clothing boutiqyes, home furnishings shops, etc. Each would provide customers for the others too, I would imagine.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Also, I would like to add that I don't think it is too much to ask to walk into the store without the message "We sell CHEAP stuff" blazing right in front of you.

Have any of you been to the mcdonalds on 8th ave and I believe west 36th or 37th street? It is sleek, modern, and even though it is a mcdonalds, doesn't scream cheap to me.

When I walk on Newark Ave, the stores I mentioned in my prior post, maybe besides Rainbow, scream, "This is cheap stuff, welcome to downtown JC"

It's not an image we should be proud of and definitely not an image that attracts businesses or development. Many of you complain of property taxes being too high but I say that if 3 99 cent stores can operate on JC's acclaimed "restaurant row" then property taxes aren't high enough.

Raise those taxes and drive out those stores. No politician would ever think that but it's what a lot of people who want JC to improve want...we don't want businesses that advertise CHEAP, it's low class.

This is a big difference between Washington Street in Hoboken (or Manhattan comparators) and Newark Avenue and one way we need to aim for change.

Newark Avenue has too much of a Newark vibe (ironically) with some of these places. There is a definite market in the area for places like Barcade or Skinner's Loft or Bon Chon over some of these other type places. It will come eventually.

An example is George Street in New Brunswick, where shabby discount places have for the most part given way to Chipotle, Qdoba, Starbucks, and high-end restaurants and bar that cater to both the college and older crowds.

Here is the thing with Newark ave - the commercial spaces are huge. It takes a serious investor to come in and flip one into anything other than what they are now (barcade dropped some serious up front dough in their renovations). It is happening slowly, but surely - Hudson camera is being gutted and turned into a bar as we speak, with local artists doing the design work. That sort of change is good - places that are locally owned and have unique character. People like to move places where they can have a favorite neighborhood restaurant that is different than what you find anywhere else.

On the other hand, bringing in generic chains who will drive up the rent so that locals can't afford to open businesses will make the ave into a strip mall. Chains don't support local events the way local businesses do (can't get corporate approval - check out who sponsors stuff like groove on grove or the All about JC festival - it's places like Grove St. bikes, not Duane Reed).

Manhattan is having this problem right now, where even entrepreneurs with good backing can't get a foothold because only places like the GAP can afford the 400X rent increases that property owners are enacting because they can get away with it. We really don't want to go down that slippery slope in downtown JC just because we have a tiny bit of trendy cache, trust me.

So be patient, change will come in time. I know at least two small business owners scouting store locations in downtown as we speak. It may be 6 months before they open but they know it's the market to get into and that's the important thing.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 15:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/4 2:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
JSQ is not gentrified yet, but it is definitely the next area of JC to do so. . . The other downside is there are no parks in the neighborhood, and the only public space, which is Journal Sq itself, is full of scumbags sleeping on benches and falling over on the side walk. Sooner or later, this will all change. . . .

Lincoln Park is not too bad, but it's about 10 blocks south of the PATH station along 440. I passed by one evening and it seemed a little eerie, so your best bet is probably to go during the daylight hours. There is even a track to run on and several baseball diamonds scattered throughout the premises.

FDS, I agree that the "occupants" by the JSQ fountain leave much to be desired. For the most part, they just talk smack and waste the hours away while getting a healthy dose of UV radiation. Aside from the occasional off-color remarks hurled at unsuspecting passersby, they seem to be harmless. When the OWS crowd set up a makeshift satellite site at JSQ, I saw some of these "locals" actually try to talk with them. How's that for solidarity?

As for a time frame... Who knows? Maybe we'll see the changes within our lifetime, maybe not, but that's why it's called an investment, eh?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
JSQ is definitely a good investment. I would say that there are areas of downtown JC still in line to be developed before JSQ gets there - IE Powerhouse arts district and liberty harbor north.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 0:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
JSQ is not gentrified yet, but it is definitely the next area of JC to do so. It is less than fifteen min from Manhattan on the PATH, and the real estate is still cheap, undervalued in my opinion. I bought here 5 years ago, not because I love the neighborhood, but because of what's bound to happen to it. Because of the economic meltdown I give it another 10 years before we see enough major changes to consider it gentrified. As it stands now, there are no non-indian sitdown restaurants, not one single bar you could take a nice girl or guy to, and no good supermarkets. The other downside is there are no parks in the neighborhood, and the only public space, which is Journal Sq itself, is full of scumbags sleeping on benches and falling over on the side walk. Sooner or later, this will all change. If looking to buy as an investment its a good place to do so, if looking to rent short term, maybe shell out the extra money and go downtown. If you commute to manhattan I wouldn't consider anywhere away from the PATH (ie: outside Downtown and JSQ) its the only direct 24hr mass transit link JC has to the city. Lightrail is not very fast, and is way more expensive than it should be if you're also paying PATH fare.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 0:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/25 4:58
Group:
Registered Users
I have an aunt who used to live in Greenville on west side ave. between west side and Woodlawn. Does anyone know if that area is still fairly safe or not?

Posted on: 2012/8/25 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Also, I would like to add that I don't think it is too much to ask to walk into the store without the message "We sell CHEAP stuff" blazing right in front of you.

Have any of you been to the mcdonalds on 8th ave and I believe west 36th or 37th street? It is sleek, modern, and even though it is a mcdonalds, doesn't scream cheap to me.

When I walk on Newark Ave, the stores I mentioned in my prior post, maybe besides Rainbow, scream, "This is cheap stuff, welcome to downtown JC"

It's not an image we should be proud of and definitely not an image that attracts businesses or development. Many of you complain of property taxes being too high but I say that if 3 99 cent stores can operate on JC's acclaimed "restaurant row" then property taxes aren't high enough.

Raise those taxes and drive out those stores. No politician would ever think that but it's what a lot of people who want JC to improve want...we don't want businesses that advertise CHEAP, it's low class.

This is a big difference between Washington Street in Hoboken (or Manhattan comparators) and Newark Avenue and one way we need to aim for change.

Newark Avenue has too much of a Newark vibe (ironically) with some of these places. There is a definite market in the area for places like Barcade or Skinner's Loft or Bon Chon over some of these other type places. It will come eventually.

An example is George Street in New Brunswick, where shabby discount places have for the most part given way to Chipotle, Qdoba, Starbucks, and high-end restaurants and bar that cater to both the college and older crowds.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Hoboken isn't "ruined"- quite the contrary, it's the result of people actually committing to fix something that's broken, exactly what is happening downtown.

I agree with you on most of what you said, but I think there's a few differences of opinion worth mentioning. While 'ruin' isn't the word I'd use either, Hoboken isn't really something I'd want to aspire to either. Hoboken of today is chock full of midwestern transplants, guidos and yuppies. Much of old Hoboken has been pushed out, with only small pockets remaining.

One could say the same thing about downtown JC, but there are - at least from the way I'm looking at it - much less former fratbros and a much greater number of immigrants and hipsters. Again, one can debate the pros and cons of both groups, especially the latter (I am no fan of that particular genre), but it also lends a much... cooler feel to the changes. I can't really think of a better word at the moment, even though that doesn't feel right, but like... Hoboken gets more Starbucks and Duane Reades while downtown JC's gotten places like 30 Acres, Barcade and Kraverie.

Hoboken gets Tilted Kilt as a chain (still assumedly coming here as well eventually) while JC gets Bon Chon. Park & 6th had a Hoboken store, then they had both there and here, and they made the choice to close the Hoboken one because they like this place better. The only thing I would say I'm remotely envious of in Hoboken is that their beer garden is better than ours.

I understand what you're saying. I think downtown JC is pretty yuppieish and has a good amount of non-East Coast transfers. Guidos, well it is NJ (and I grew up mostly in NJ and I'm Italian) and if you don't see that element in JC yet, you definitely will soon.

JC has more of a recent immigrant history (like the Filippino and Indian communities) versus Hoboken, which is mostly old school and who moved out to the burbs long before the gentrification arrived in large numbers. Hipsters probably prefer JC because it's more "Brooklyn-y" with the brownstones and organic and such.

We do Duane Reade and Starbucks, and that's a good thing. Chains like that signify the positive. I actually like our beer garden better.

I think when a lot of people on this board express anger towards Hoboken, it's pretty misplaced, considering that JC's proximity is part of what turned JC around (just like Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg). I think too many people here see JC in a bubble, but we cannot be ignorant of the surrounding cities because we rise and fall with them, especially Hoboken and NYC.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 19:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/12 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
People are usually deterred away from Greenville because they associate it with Ocean Ave and MLK Blvd but there are parts of Greenville (for example, the area near the border of Bayonne/JC, south of Danforth Ave) that are fairly quiet areas populated by middle class families who have lived there for decades.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

someguyinjc wrote:
JSQ is supposedly an "up and coming" JSQ could see real development in the future, but I'm not so sure about the immediate 3-5 years. Haven't been down to Greenville, so I will defer to others with specific knowledge of the area.

JSQ won't become an up and coming area until you see the heavy construction equipment. You can count on the current plans falling though the cracks just like all the previous plans have.
If you can afford to buy downtown that will be your best investment for appreciation and ease of selling in the future.
It's the old RE maxim that still holds true, location, location, location.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 16:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/4 2:19
Group:
Registered Users
JSQ is supposedly an "up and coming" part of town, especially near the PATH station. Of course, ever since they razed the "Three Guys" and other collection of mom and pop stores adjacent to the station, the new construction slated for that prime real estate has been in limbo. I see armies of pissed pigeons congregating there every morning on my way to the PATH, but little else behind the chain link fence. It surprises me that no major projects have taken root here in the last few years, but I suppose things operate at their own relative speeds. There is always a lot of traffic (vehicular and foot) along the main stretch of JFK, so it certainly is not a desolate place. The area is pretty safe, though you have the losers heckling passersby at the fountain and get the occasional hooligans acting out at 1 in the morning in front of the McDonald's or panhandlers in front of Rite Aid (which never seems to be able to keep all of its block letters lit at the same time), but hey, this is still technically a "city". Rents here are increasing, which is one reason I'm looking to purchase downtown. JSQ could see real development in the future, but I'm not so sure about the immediate 3-5 years. Haven't been down to Greenville, so I will defer to others with specific knowledge of the area.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
I don't care what anyone say about Greeneville, it's still as dangerous and a bad area. Has an aunt who works in one of the schools there and she tells it like it is. Journal Sq area is a bit better for the money you pay in rent.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Give me a 7-11 over a 99 cent store any day of the week.

we have one. sort of. our very own knockoff where first intersects with newark.

(yes, i gather your point, but let's not really pretend that particular corner in manhattan is a shining example of high class consumerism either)

Posted on: 2012/8/11 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/boo ... -city.html?_r=1&ref=books

This book is reviewed in tomorrow's NYT. I've only read the review but it sounds as if it might offer some insight into the issues discussed in this thread.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/8/11 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So much to respond to so let me start

Quote:
whiteboy19 wrote: the lightrail will go bankrupt?I dont think so,transportation is set up to run on a deficit.why dont you go back to business school you horrid yuppies.gentified?I dont really like it but Im afraid it will happen.What is gentrification?Overpriced everything topped by nervous frigid white girls that dont like to eat.Nothing scares me more than a bunch of whites moving into a neighborhood.I like the gritty feel o my nabe and I hope it will never end.gentrification ruined hoboken and I hope it doesnt ruin My JC.and by the way Im a whiteboy chillin in the hood with the brothers.Stay away gentrification you are not needed here!!!!Go downtown you coke snorting,office working consumerist sheep and take your squeeky voiced bitches with you.dont ruin my greenville I like it the way it is

yeah, just like the postal service is set to run on a deficit. How's THAT working?? Is the food and/or clothing overpriced or are you too poor? Let's be honest here. Your attitude is exactly why JC doesn't move forward. Either way, we don't have to worry cause no business or developer in their right mind will touch GV.

Quote:
CdeCoincy wrote: his an urban phenomenom I've never really understood - 14th Street has Greeenwich Village to the south, Chelsea to the North and Meatpacking to the west and is still pretty dumpy. I guess to a lesser extent Newark Avenue follows the same trend. I suspect it has more to do with underserviced neighborhoods with transportation routes that make access to 14th Street (and Newark Avenue) easy. To me it is interesting that overlaid on the skuzziness of 14th is a very upscale foodie route - Chelsea Market, Eden Farms (?), WF, TJ and Union Square. Maybe that is a transit-related benefit as well. If all Google is showing is HSBC and Urban Outfitters, maybe someone installed one of those yuppy cookies from Chelsea Market.

Umm, no. just type in 14th street and 6th avenue into google maps. And look at that corner..what do you see?

Quote:
corybraiterman wrote:i was just about to add that google also shows plenty of examples of non-gentrification. there's a bodega/deli one store up on the NW corner. there's the cheapass clothing store 2 lots onto the NW side of 14th, and alberto's pizza and a mcdonalds on the south side. south on 14th, you have a pawn shop, 2 more cheapass clothing places, and a 7-11. go look at the pics i posted of ocean ave. half the stores are closed, and the other half aren't even close to a 7-11 or mcdonalds. there's a huuuuuuuuuuuuge honkin difference.

Have any of you been on Newark Ave??? I would WELCOME any of those establishments. This is what we have:

SUPER DISCOUNT STORE
99 CENT DREAM
NATIONAL DISCOUNT STORE
SLEEP CHEAP
PALACE DRUGS AND LIQUORS
MORELEES
CH MARTIN
HOLLYWOOD FRIED CHICKEN
RAINBOW
PAYLESS

There's at least 3 99 cent/cheapo stores on ONE BLOCK. Give me a 7-11 over a 99 cent store any day of the week.

Quote:
jzara wrote: for what it's worth, and i probably have mentioned this before somewhere else, but in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, there is a Rainbow and a couple of 99 cent stores, but that area is very gentrified, more than downtown jc even. so just because there is a Rainbow downtown doesn't mean that area isn't gentrified. you don't necessarily need a whole foods and 5 duane reades to have a gentrified area.

Actually, any area with 3 99 cent stores on one single block needs gentrification. Here's a the wiki article with relevant parts at the end:

"Gentrification and urban gentrification refer to the changes that result when wealthier people ("gentry") acquire or rent property in low income and working class communities............................In addition, new businesses, catering to a more affluent base of consumers, move in, further increasing the appeal to more affluent migrants and decreasing the accessibility to the poor."

no 99 cent store caters to a wealthy base....

Quote:
user1111 wrote: I look at this way, JC was a sh*t hole after the "white flight" in the 60"s and did not see new comers until the mid 70's. The Indian population started to increase around that time and moving in the downtown and Journal Square area, and more movement came in the mid 80's when downtown started to see movement and change with a flock of artist and gays. GV started making changes with Society Hill, and Port Liberte. 12 years ago. Prior to the Lightrail GV was not home to Bed, Bath & Beyond, Pole Position Raceway Nuradeen gallery Keystone Property Trust Twin City which is brand new supermarket on Garfield The condos on Princeton, Condos on Old Bergen Road Summit Imports Polar One, a refrigerated Warehouse. Jollibee The restaurant Town Houses and Condos on Bay-view Terrace. Serious redevelopment has begun on MLK, Ocean Ave and West Side. Most outsiders of GV wouldn't notice these changes due to the size of GV. Most people focus on Ocean ave, but GV is much more than Ocean ave.

I'm actually really curious and I don't ask to sound like a jerk but does a 2 bedroom in either of GV's luxury condo buildings cost as much as a studio in 77 hudson? Studios start in the 300ks... If you want to see if a town has made it, look at property values and trends. I give this example all the time but look at the suckers who bought at The Beacon. They lost almost all of their home value and now they can't even rent, let alone sell, units there...

Look, I want ALL of JC to improve but let's not tell someone to live in an area and say that it will "gentrify in 5 years." Newark Avenue might gentrify in 5 years but who the heck knows how long GV will gentrify.

This is how gentrification works: rich people can't afford to live in a certain area so they move to a neighboring area and then comes business and development.

GV has a long ways to go as all of Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, downtown JC, newport, exchange, the PAD, journal square, even some areas in the heights, and bergen lafayette come before GV.

Hey, to all those who rent in GV or OWN in GV, I pray for you everyday. I don't want anyone to risk their safety and lose all equity in their home...that is why it is completely dangerous to tell someone an area as bad as GV will gentrify in 5 years. It should be criminal actually...just like how those agents told people the "Beacon will gentrify in 5 years..." =\

Posted on: 2012/8/11 3:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
the problem with Greenville, and jc in general, is that we need more direct access to manhattan. the path is far too sparse. journal square will definitely "gentrify" first because of the path train. The areas nearest to the path are where all the action is. I was discussing neighborhoods with a realtor and he suggested Greenville, but because I don't have a car that is just not an option for me. i am not going to take the light rail all over town just to get to the train i actually need to be on. i would rather buy in Bushwick than in Greenville, for train access. i live in bergen lafayette now, still a mile from the train, but with my bike it is somewhat manageable, though not ideal. thinking of moving back to nyc for transit reasons...i do like jc though, it's just inconvenient (and ironic/annoying because I can SEE manhattan). so close, so far.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Serious redevelopment has begun on MLK, Ocean Ave and West Side.

Most outsiders of GV wouldn't notice these changes due to the size of GV. Most people focus on Ocean ave, but GV is much more than Ocean ave.

I think this may have been a subtle dig at me, as I posted two shots of Ocean Ave from google. MLK is just as bad, man. Don't even type in a specific address, just type in martin luther king jr blvd on google maps and zoom to street view. It's empty lots and closed storefronts.

Look, I get that you're championing your neighborhood. Good for greenville and bergen-lafayette, and I obviously hope they improve. Certain small areas have been getting better, but the neighborhoods as a whole are still crime-ridden, run down and are years and years away from seeing truly significant changes. The most gentrified area of the city is still not fully there. Dribs and drabs will happen elsewhere, but one or two buildings does not change the whole complexion of the area. It takes a lot more than that.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
City's core will gentrify faster if we have a business district on the western waterfront too.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 1:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017