Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Cable cars acroos the Hudson?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Can't we just fill in the Hudson River with landfill so that we can all walk to work??

it would be cheaper and easier to just build a bike/ped bridge.

i feel like this is inevitable in 50 years time.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 0:29

Re: We need a bridge between Exchange Place and LSP
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
How they don't have something is hard to believe but that's JC for you. The planning committee is a joke & someone needs to replace Bob Cotter who doesn't give two craps about the residents of the city.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
There is a ferry that goes between Warren St and LSP every half hour on its way to and from the World Financial Center. It costs a dollar each way, and it runs from about 6am to 8:30pm weekdays, abbreviated on weekends. I take it quite frequently---it is a good service, I think run by Statue Cruises.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I just got a crazy idea that just might work! The city could submit a request for proposals for a barge man. Anyone could apply, all they need is a raft made out of four 55 gallon drums and some decking materials from Home Depot. Then you need a large stick to pole across with.

Where's Huck Finn when you need him.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I just got a crazy idea that just might work! The city could submit a request for proposals for a barge man. Anyone could apply, all they need is a raft made out of four 55 gallon drums and some decking materials from Home Depot. Then you need a large stick to pole across with. Whoever wins the proposal has to build the landing on each side of the Moris canal and be insured but they can charge whatever the market will bear to provide the service. If it doesn't work the city is out no money, and there is no damage to any infrastructure.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Can't we just fill in the Hudson River with landfill so that we can all walk to work??

So what you are saying is that all areas of water are useless and we should just fill it. Just think of all that wasted land use covered up by water. Would we need a maritime lawyer ?

Posted on: 2012/7/27 14:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/27 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I just read an interesting article about cable cars acrooss the Thames in London. What a great idea if they could build one or two across the Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Air_Line_%28cable_car%29

pretty.

and of course the hundred-yard-wide Thames, with boats no bigger than the Circle Line, totally compares to the Ocean Liner-packed Hudson.

let's get on this.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
What a great sight they'd be from the Pedestrian Bridge!

LOL

Doesn't anyone know how to do arithmetic any more? Hero, How do you think the numbers would play out when you put a giant $150m cable car system vs ferryboats. (I added an extra $50m because it's twice as far)

NY waterway moves ~30k passengers a day. I doubt a cablecar system that moves 2,500 people per hour, to only one destination, with a far higher capitalization and higher fares, seems like a good idea.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Hey webmaster, this was a completely needless and overagressive thread merge. Original thread: nothing to do with the Hudson. Recent comments: having to do with going over the Hudson.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Why not build them pier to pier or Liberty State Park

Posted on: 2012/7/27 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One or two? Try a hundred or so. The PATH system is close to capacity at rush hour, politics prevent a new tunnel under the Hudson, and yet we continue to add residential capacity. It would probably be cheaper to string a bunch of lines from the Heights to midtown than building new tunnels, but there would be so much NIMBY opposition that it'd never happen. I think taking the ferry will become mainstream long before we see any significant trans-hudson capacity being added.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
What a great sight they'd be from the Pedestrian Bridge!

Posted on: 2012/7/27 1:39

Cable cars acroos the Hudson?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I just read an interesting article about cable cars acrooss the Thames in London. What a great idea if they could build one or two across the Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Air_Line_%28cable_car%29

Posted on: 2012/7/27 1:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Waterfront Parks Conservancy was exploring this idea with LSP who also owns the peninsula. Given the economy, I doubt anything can happen unless it is funded privately. I believe the idea was to have a swing bridge for pedestrians similar to the Santiago Calatrava did in Buenos Aires although from the meeting I went to, this was mentioned as Phase III but that was a couple years ago.

Posted on: 2011/10/29 22:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cilento wrote:
It boggles the mind that JC is not working on this. This could be a major boost to downtown if we could connect Exchange Place to the Park. The park itself would get so many more visitors. It could become a major destination and really unite the waterfront.

I look at the views there and it just amazes me that this is not in the works. I realize the marina is there, but so what? Make the bridge high enough and elaborate enough that it becomes a tourist attraction in and of itself. There are plenty of examples of this all over the world. A cool bridge with amazing views of NYC that leads to a beautiful park... and just like that JC becomes a destination. Get off the PATH, walk across the bridge and suddenly it is truly accessible to millions. Put a major entertainment venue like the NJPAC somewhere along the marina or farther in the park near Ellis Island, and we are looking at a world class waterfront destination.

I've lived in JC for 10 years and it has just puzzled me how this gap is not filled in. Look at the Newport bridge to Hoboken. How incredible has that connection been for Newport and Hamilton Park? The waterfront there is alive. So much so that Newport's River Market just might have a chance to make it. The same needs to be done at Jersey City's most picturesque and most historic point.

Yes!!!

Posted on: 2011/10/29 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
It would be even better to have a pedestrian walking bridge from JC to NYC. So many cities around the world have done this....and they usually become great place for communities and tourists.

They have a walkway already built leading to Ellis Island but there are some politics and safety issues involved, the goes for a bridge going over to Manhattan. That will probably never occur due to post 9-11 concerns. And could you imagine the foot traffic ! I would like to see this happen especially if bike lanes were allocated.
if by "politics and safety issues" you mean "they want you to pay $13 admission to a free national park."

The Ellis Island bridge is closed off.
Yes I know. Access to national parks (like Liberty Island and Ellis Island) is free, and since there is a bridge there, we *should* be able to get in for free, at least to Ellis Island. But instead they reserve that for employee access only, and anyone that wants to visit is forced to buy a $13 ferry ticket just to get to the island.

Why is this even an issue? The Ellis Bridge was built as a temporary bridge to aid in the site's restoration in the mid-1980s. It's a military-grade bridge and it has an expected lifespan of 7 years. It's been in operation for nearly 27 years. Several sections, including railings and parts of the roadway, have collapsed/rotten. You really want to send 18,000 people a day across that bridge? Sounds like a brilliant idea. Please return to the relevant topic at hand.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I wish they would open up the bridge from LSP to Elise Island.. Why must we take a ferry when there is already a connection?

Posted on: 2011/10/28 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
To all those who say that a walking bridge to JC to NYC would be a safety concern considering post 9/11 realities, I have one question.

Why are we rebuilding the towers again?

Posted on: 2011/10/28 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
It would be even better to have a pedestrian walking bridge from JC to NYC. So many cities around the world have done this....and they usually become great place for communities and tourists.

They have a walkway already built leading to Ellis Island but there are some politics and safety issues involved, the goes for a bridge going over to Manhattan. That will probably never occur due to post 9-11 concerns. And could you imagine the foot traffic ! I would like to see this happen especially if bike lanes were allocated.
if by "politics and safety issues" you mean "they want you to pay $13 admission to a free national park."

Yes I know. Access to national parks (like Liberty Island and Ellis Island) is free, and since there is a bridge there, we *should* be able to get in for free, at least to Ellis Island. But instead they reserve that for employee access only, and anyone that wants to visit is forced to buy a $13 ferry ticket just to get to the island.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting idea JCFrankie.

I heard that Disney is interested in that part of LSP. They want to build a Tom Sawyer Island type attraction. Complete with motorized rafts to ferry people back and forth between Exchange Place and LSP.

Those rafts are a great idea to fill that gap! A mobile water front walk way. Have them run every 15 minutes. Also maybe hide a few paint bushes on the LSP side for added fun.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne built a bridge once upon a time and they felt that it was plenty tall enough to allow the passage of any imaginable ship. Now decades later they want to spend tremendous amounts of money to actually raise the bridge higher to accommodate modern day shipping realities.
I agree a bridge over the Morris Canal is highly unlikely. Mostly due to cost but also for the above reason.
But what about a tunnel? Its only twenty feet deep at best. I will grant you that due to rising tides the tunnel entrances would have to be raised well above sea level.
You know it just occurs to me now, after writing the above, that we could just drag the already assembled hideous and nearly universally scorned 9-11 memorial 100 yards North and drop it into a 50? deep ditch spanning the canal. Then you just need to build a roof over it. Two problems solved in one project! Maybe I should run for office.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting Hudson County web page about the water front walk.

Look at the "Gap Analysis Jersey City" piece.

http://www.hudsoncountynj.org/hudson-river-walkway-study.aspx

Posted on: 2011/10/28 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Posted on: 2011/10/28 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Posted on: 2011/10/28 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:

If this were to happen, the PA would no longer have their profitable racket and they would no longer have their stronghold, giving the NJ commuters and residents the shit end of the stick every time they wanted to go into NY...and thus you're absolutely correct by saying it's politics.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Posted on: 2011/10/28 11:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/10/28 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, it wouldn't necessarily need to be very tall:

http://www.toxel.com/tech/2008/09/21/ ... rolling-bridge-in-london/

Posted on: 2011/10/28 5:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a nice idea. Nevertheless, if I sat here for long enough, I could come up with several hundred more important things for the city and state to be spending taxpayer money on. There's already a bridge - it's at the end of Jersey Ave and it's not that far away.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 1:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017