Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: PRESERVATION OF POWERHOUSE TO BEGIN
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Burj Khalifa.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 2:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
Do you want it knocked down or something?

In a word: YES!

And make it a park.

Really? It's a fairly historic building, which I personally find very interesting architecturally. The restoration and development of it will be great for the area and Jersey City in general. Your comment is akin to if you moved out to Yellowstone and demanded they top kill Old Faithful and build the American Burj Dubai on top of it... If you want the Powerhouse turned into a park, you're living in the wrong place.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Do you want it knocked down or something?

In a word: YES!

And make it a park.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 14:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just so you know the facts.Thats not plywood its Densglass which actually comes in different colors according to its water resistance.yellow being the least and purple being the best.Plywood would have rotted in the first year.

Did they use different colors for a funky affect,probably.

Give the thing a chance people.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 1:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
So then the purpose of the Powerhouse is to "revitalize" the area????
Perhaps to bring in some real estate developers and maybe even a Mall??????????

WOW woudn't a couple high rise housing projects be exciting and novel for the now desolate Jersey City Waterfront.

At least the Baltimore renovation made some SENSE.
The Jersey City job is just a masturbatory exercise to move money to developers aided and abetted by a couple of misplaced dilettantes.

So if the Powerhouse isn't restored and used as a shopping/performance center, what should it be used for? Do you want it knocked down or something? I bet half the people on this forum want the government to spend millions of dollars restoring it, and then build a bunch of high-end apartments and studios in it to rent to struggling artists for $200 a month... It's absurd to me to see so many people on this forum who are against any sort of project that will bring economic benefits to the area. Not to mention it brings new things for the people living around it to experience. These kinds of projects should be encouraged, not fought against.

As for the "misplaced dilettantes" - I'm sure you don't know 1/1000th of the steps and processes that are required to make a project such as this happen. You're calling these developer amateurs, which is very far from the truth. All of these people complaining about how slow it's going are just ignorant. I wish it could move faster as well, but there are many complicated problems that are very challenging and time consuming to solve. It doesn't happen overnight, but when it does, it's going to be a great thing for Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/5/24 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
So then the purpose of the Powerhouse is to "revitalize" the area????
Perhaps to bring in some real estate developers and maybe even a Mall??????????

WOW woudn't a couple high rise housing projects be exciting and novel for the now desolate Jersey City Waterfront.

At least the Baltimore renovation made some SENSE.
The Jersey City job is just a masturbatory exercise to move money to developers aided and abetted by a couple of misplaced dilettantes.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h ... n%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

Indeed..., looks like covered with adds. From a functional standpoint they might have achieved the revitalization they wanted though - I haven't visited the place. The Distillery in Toronto is a great example of harmonious development. Hopefully they will be able to strike the right balance here. Maybe historical zoning consideration will prevent "tagging" such as in Baltimore.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Just looked at the on in Baltimore. Yuck.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
The stabilization of the Powerhouse is on schedule.

The $40 million relocation of the electrical equipment which powers the PATH signal system will be an approximately 3 year project.

Then the Cordish Companies ( www.cordish.com ) will redevelop the property - you ought to visit their "Powerplant" on the Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Yeah, it won't happen immediately but these kinds of projects are far and few between.

I guarantee you that it will move at LEAST as fast as the Embankment...with probably the same result as the Betz Brewery preservation.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 14:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The stabilization of the building is a big deal and it will last several years. The tower is cracked at the top and needs to be reinforced. About 80 tons of soil have been hauled out already.

Yes, the color scheme is over the top on purpose as it's adaptive reuse that's being done and not just preservation. I think the last thing anyone would want would be to turn the PH back to what it was, which was a coal-fired powerplant. The colors are a bit whimiscal but I think most people get that it reflects the potential of what could be as opposed to what it's been in the past.

Another big issue is the Port Authority substation that powers the PATH train that needs to be moved from the west part of the building. Sounds easy but it's not. Lots of bureacracy and negotiations with adjacent landowners. FYI, the PA owns 51% of the building, the remainder is owned by the city.

The PH is envisioned to be something like Chelsea Market, or Baltimore's PowerPlant Live where you have retail space cheap enough to rent by locals but where you also have one or two anchor tenants. The building will be just like any other retail center in that it needs to be self-sustaining, meaning it needs to make money to survive. But unlike the Newport Mall, the hope is that it will attract more quirky, creative and artisansal type of tenant and clientele.

Of course, all of this remains to be fleshed out but it is an exciting project that I wish the knuckleheads at the city council could get behind. Yeah, it won't happen immediately but these kinds of projects are far and few between.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sheesh some of you guys are really demanding. Let the city develop. I personally find it to be an exciting time to live in this city. New condos, yes, but there are also restaurants and bars opening up left and right. I can think of 3 that opened up just in the past month, and 3 more that will be opening up in the next month or so.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
After only living in JC for two years It seems like another time to ask WHEN? WHEN? WHEN? WHEN? Besides a bunch of ugly condos going up all the time, nothing interesting or creative retail wise happens around here....for the most part.

Am I wrong?

Posted on: 2010/5/6 20:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Whatever is ultimately done with the Powerhouse should hopefully be interesting and have a bevy of entertainment/retail options and not just bland prosaic ESPN fare.

http://limelightmarketplace.com/

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/04/limelight_1.php

I completely agree! Let's let that building have some local flavor - does anyone know if they are extending a hand to any local businesses interested in moving in there (maybe tax breaks or something?)???? I would hate to see it become just another chain store filled mini-mall in a cool building.

In the mean time, I like the boarded up windows....at least it seems like they're doing SOMETHING (helping bolster against more rain damage I guess), as opposed to just the sign out front while the building continues to rot.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Whatever is ultimately done with the Powerhouse should hopefully be interesting and have a bevy of entertainment/retail options and not just bland prosaic ESPN fare.

http://limelightmarketplace.com/

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/04/limelight_1.php

Posted on: 2010/5/6 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

matchjames wrote:

Seriously, until they actually DO something with it, is it so bad they keep the place shored up with something that isn't just plywood? (even if it's painted plywood!?)

The plywood isn't really shoring up the building - you would have to go inside, to see what kind of framing is being erected to stabilize the exterior walls and any remaining interior floors, which help distribute dead loads. The vented plywood panels seal the building from birds, wind driven rain, etc.

We might not all agree on painting the panels - I suspect that was done to get people's attention in a positive way, and keep the Powerhouse from looking like just another boarded up building. Myself, I like it - they contrast playfully with the building's muscular brickwork.

Please, everyone support the Powerhouse being restored and adaptively re-used! From all my years in historic preservation I can say there are very, very few industrial buildings of this caliber surviving in the metro area!

Posted on: 2010/3/23 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matchjames wrote:
well if it looks different, it MUST be bad, right? It's colorful, so it's a "taxpayer waste". Now I understand.

Seriously, until they actually DO something with it, is it so bad they keep the place shored up with something that isn't just plywood? (even if it's painted plywood!?)

Oh, I guess you must see it as an artistic statement. I wonder if one of the many talented artists from the PAD came up with the color scheme.

For the people who live right there, it's gone from bad to worse. They could have shored the place up without obnoxious day-glo colors. It really adds to the historical value of the place, don't you think?

Posted on: 2010/3/23 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
well if it looks different, it MUST be bad, right? It's colorful, so it's a "taxpayer waste". Now I understand.

Posted on: 2010/3/23 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You know, those yellow panels and the little blue doors make all the difference. Now it really looks chic enough to attract a Quiznos. I hope they help hold the bricks up.

Any money spent, up to and including $100, seems like money well spent.

Betweeen the Embankment and the Powerhouse tourists will be coming from world wide to visit Jersey City. Jersey City has a lesson for all..."THIS is how to waste taxpayer money."

Posted on: 2010/3/23 13:16

Powerhouse Make-over
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
What do you think of the Powerhouse Stabilization Project? Is this money well spent?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/3/23 3:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/22 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they put in a pilates studio and dog yoga.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 20:07
Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
-Thomas Neill

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
There's even a rumor that HARROD'S will be moving in.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 15:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 19:38
Group:
Registered Users
I heard they're putting in a Whole Foods.

Posted on: 2010/2/20 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ohhh, I hope they open a Duane Reade, an Athlete's Food and a Blimpie's...maybe a good dollar store for Chinese utensils and no-brand cookies.

Big question is who will win the burger franchise, MacDonalds or Burger King?

And no historic preservation would be complete without a Chinese take-away.

I hope all the workers wear hard hats.

Posted on: 2010/2/20 17:28

Anyone know whats going on with the Powerhouse?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like they're doing some work on the windows?

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:35

PRESERVATION OF POWERHOUSE TO BEGIN
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 12:03
Group:
Registered Users
Above photos: A newly minted Powerhouse Stabilization billboard by the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency is positioned in front of the seminal industrial monument. Local media included News 12 New Jersey, which covered the breaking Powerhouse battle in 1999, The Jersey City Independent, Jersey City Reporter, and The Jersey Journal, among others. Photo courtesy of JC Landmarks.
Above photo: The crowd included representatives from the City of Jersey City, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, and the preservation community. Ten years ago JC Landmarks went up against both entities - and now all are partners in preservation. Photo courtesy of JC Landmarks.
Above photo: Attendees, left to right, included Robert Antonicello, Executive Director, the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency; John Gomez, founder and president of JC Landmarks; the Honorable Jerremiah T. Healy, Mayor of Jersey City; Susan Bass Levin, Deputy Executive Director of the Port Authority; and Eugene Nelson, Chief Executive Officer of the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation. Photo courtesy of JC Landmarks.
Above photo: Video camera stationed in front of podium and billboard. Photo courtesy of JC Landmarks.
Above photo: John Bathke of News 12 New Jersey interviews JC Landmarks founder and president John Gomez. In 1999, Mr. Bathke interviewed Gomez near this same spot when the Powerhouse was under threat. Today the preservation predicament was quite different. Photo courtesy of JC Landmarks.
Above photo: JC Landmarks founder John Gomez holds a framed City Power poster presented to his non-profit preservation advocacy organization. Gomez wrote the National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Powerhouse ten years ago and launched a high profile preservation campaign. Today's event was the first real step toward restoration and adaptive re-use. Photo courtesy of JC Landmarks. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Powerhouse Stabilization Gets Underway" The Jersey City Independent Thursday, June 11, 2009 By Jon Whiten As various factions have battled over who should pay to relocate the electrical transformers inside Jersey City?s Powerhouse, the health of the historic structure has become ever more precarious. With this in mind, the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency (JCRA) and the Port Authority today are kicking off a stabilization project for the 100-plus-year-old structure. This JCRA says the project is designed to halt further decline of the building while the Port Authority relocates the transformers. Architectural firm Beyer, Blinder and Belle was tapped to helm the stabilization effort, which is set to include the replacement of windows and roof and the installation of new drainage systems to mitigate any further deterioration of the structure. The process is anticipated to take three to five months, and comes with a $3.4 million price tag, which will be picked up by the city, the JCRA and the Port Authority. Once the stabilization in complete in October 2009 and the transformers are removed, the city expects the redevelopment of the site to get underway. The $90 million redevelopment, which is expected to be complete by 2013, is slated to bring 180,000 square feet of gallery, restaurant and office space to the building. ?The building will again play a key role in the continued escalation of the city?s renaissance, both economically and culturally,? JCRA executive director stated Robert Antonicello says. Officials hope the Powerhouse will anchor a revived arts district of the same name, which as recently as six years ago was a thriving center for the arts in Jersey City. Ever since the artists who called the bustling 111 1st St. home were forced out in 2004, the Powerhouse Arts District, despite the best efforts of some businesses and residents, has largely been an ?arts district? in name only. The iconic Powerhouse, which also faced demolition in the late 1990s, was saved by community groups led by the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, and the building was ultimately put on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. For more on the stabilization plan and the redevelopment, check out this new site from the JCRA. For more on the history of the Powerhouse, check out JCI publisher Shane Smith?s piece in NEW magazine. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ "Powerhouse To Begin Stabilization Project" The Jersey Journal Friday, June 12, 2009 By Amy Sara Clark The Powerhouse building in Downtown Jersey City - the linchpin to a planned arts district - is about to receive a $3.4 million facelift. With Jersey City and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey each picking up half the tab, preservationists and government officials kicked off a "stabilization" project to protect the 101-year-old, nine-story building yesterday. "This truly is an important use of public dollars," said P.A. Deputy Executive Director Susan Bass-Levin. "It really will be the focal point of this community." The building once housed turbines that generated electricity for the entire PATH network, but now operates just a few compressors to power the train system's track switches. The P.A. is currently figuring out where to move the compressors, and it will take about two years to get the new site up and running before major renovation work can be done on the Powerhouse building. But stabilization work will begin next month and is slated to be completed by October, said Jersey City Redevelopment Agency Executive Director Robert Antonicello. The money will be used for such projects as a new roof, temporary drainage systems, the cleaning and repair of brickwork and drain pipes, and boarding up the windows. Referring to the structure as an "architectural jewel" and "Jersey City's Grand Central Station," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said it is slated to become an entertainment and retail center with cafes, restaurants, galleries and perhaps a movie theater that will be the cornerstone of a new artists district. The Baltimore-based Cordish Companies, of Inner-Harbor fame, will oversee a $90 million development of the site, which is expected to be completed by 2013, officials said. ?2009 Jersey Journal - ? 2009 NJ.com All Rights Reserved. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE POWERHOUSE STABILIZATION PROJECT, GO TO: http://www.jcpowerhouse.org/

Posted on: 2009/6/12 21:18

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/7 5:54:28

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017