Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano will resign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Burlington County PAC donated campaign funds to Peter Cammarano, Jerramiah Healy and Mike Novak

by Carly Baldwin/The Jersey Journal
Monday August 17, 2009, 2:21 PM

A PAC that donated to former Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano has folded.

It was no secret that this past spring's Hoboken mayor's race attracted state-wide interest, particularly for Peter Cammarano, who resigned last month in the wake of corruption charges. In fact, Burlington County political leaders raised a substantial amount of money for Cammarano -- $15,400 -- through a Medford-based political action committee (PAC), the New Frontier Committee. That wasn't the first time New Frontier Committee has taken an interest in Hoboken.

And at least three firms that donated to New Frontier Committee have received public contracts from Hoboken -- CMX Inc. and Remington & Vernick, as well as the law firm Gluck Walrath. Now, that PAC is folding, reports the Burlington County Times.

From the Burlington County Times:

The New Frontier Committee is an ideological political action committee formed in 2006 by former county Democratic Committee Chairman Gary Karr and Medford attorney Jack Senechal, who serves as treasurer. Shortly after its creation, Evesham Democrat Dean Buono took over as chairman.

In its three years, the committee has raised about $119,000 and donated about $115,000 to Democratic candidates and political committees, mostly in Burlington County and South Jersey.

The largest donors to New Frontier were Hudson County-based Royal Printing Services; Hammonton engineering firm Adams, Rehmann & Heggan Associates; engineers from CME Associates in Howell ... and Palisades Park resident Joseph Dell'Aquila, who works for Hoboken development firm JDA Group LLC.

In addition to the New Frontier PAC, county Democratic Party Chairman Rick Perr and party treasurer Jeff Meyer both solicited donations for Cammarano's campaign.

"While we tend to stay within our geography, this is one time that your assistance in another part of the state will help Burlington Democrats," Perr wrote in a March 9 e-mail to party members and donors. "I am asking you to donate $300-$500 to Peter Cammarano for mayor in order to put into place other young, progressive Democratic leaders like our own in Burlington."

According to campaign finance reports filed with the state Election Law Enforcement Commission by the New Frontier Committee, the PAC donated $15,400 to Cammarano's campaign.

New Frontier also donated $4,000 to A Voice for All Hoboken PAC last year, according to election commission reports.

PAC also donated to other Hudson County pols

New Frontier donated $1,500 to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy's campaign in March, and that it also donated $3,500 to Cammarano's running mate, Hoboken City Council candidate Michael Novak, in May. Novak filed a joint campaign finance report with Cammarano and two other Democrats (Frances Rhodes-Kearns and Angel Alicea).

But according to reports filed with the state by the Cammarano slate, the New Frontier Committee donated $21,100 to the Democrats, a discrepancy of $2,200.

Buono said he personally reviewed the finances and that the PAC's reports are accurate. However, he said he has called for a final audit to close out the books and assure people it did nothing wrong.

"Sickened" by Cammarano's arrest

New Frontier Committee leaders said they were shocked and sickened by the federal charges against Cammarano, who was considered a promising young Democratic leader.

"We publicly and categorically denounce corruption in public office and those associated with it. To the extent that Peter is convicted [or] pleads guilty, he deserves the fullest sentence that the law will allow," said Perr ... after being asked about the county party's connections.

Contracts from Hoboken

Among the donors that contributed to the New Frontier PAC were engineering firms CMX Inc. and Remington & Vernick, as well as the law firm Gluck Walrath. All three have received contracts from Hoboken, according to public records.

CMX Inc. donated $2,500 and received a $65,185 contract last year to perform environmental engineering at a public works garage the city is interested in selling. That contract was increased to $98,445 in June. The firm donated $2,500 to New Frontier in May, according to campaign finance records.

Remington & Vernick received an engineering contract that could not exceed $50,000 from Hoboken in 2007. The firm donated $4,000 to the New Frontier Committee in February 2008.

Gluck Walrath received a $104,606 contract from Hoboken and a $171,187 contract from the Hoboken Municipal Authority. Records show five attorneys from the firm donated $275 each to the New Frontier PAC in February 2007.

Gluck Walrath and CMX Inc. long have held contracts with Hoboken, according to public records.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
so, when will he start updating his twitter feed again ...

http://twitter.com/petercammarano

Posted on: 2009/8/2 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, sounds like someone made a deal for a reduced sentence by turning in others. Also the reason politicians outside of our county care is that they see this as a way to sieze power for thier party/candidate.

Posted on: 2009/8/1 17:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/18 18:35
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, now the JC people should resign!

NATIONAL NIGHT OUT - RALLY AGAINST CRIME AND CORRUPTION
6pm
AUGUST 4th, 2009 - JERSEY CITY CITY HALL

Posted on: 2009/8/1 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Burlington County Dems ? Peter Cammarano Connection Exposed

Why was Burlco Dems? New Frontier PAC among largest contributors to disgraced Hoboken Mayor indicted on federal corruption charges last week?

Mission Statement of New Frontier Committee PAC: ?Our mission is to inspire positive change at every level of government in New Jersey by supporting candidates for political office and public questions that approach issues in a progressive and non-conservative manner, promote fiscal responsibility, encourage security, adhere to principles consistent with honest leadership, and seek to guarantee personal liberties for all.? (Source: NJ ELEC ? attached)

Mount Holly, July 30, 2009 ? How did a Medford-based PAC run by a pair of Burlington County Democrat insiders with close ties to County Democrat Chairman Rick Perr ? that had previously supported Burlington County Democrat campaigns almost exclusively ? become one of the single largest campaign contributors to disgraced Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, who was indicted on federal corruption charges last week? That is exactly what Burlington County Republicans were asking members of the press and voting public to look into today.

?One look at the federal indictment filed against Peter Cammarano and it?s clear that he views campaign contributions as one-half of a business transaction,? said Chris Russell, spokesman for the Burlington County Republicans. ?It begs the question to Dean Buono, Jack Senechal and Richard Perr: what prompted such an investment in Peter Cammarano, and what compelling interest did you have in electing the mayor of a one-square mile North Jersey city nearly 80 miles from Main Street in Medford??

According to official paperwork filed with the NJ Election Law Enforcement Commission, the New Frontier PAC was formed in October 2006 by former Burlington County Democratic Committee Chairman Gary Karr. Medford attorney, Jack Senechal, who also serves as Treasurer for the Medford Democratic Committee and recently for the Election Funds of Sean Kennedy and Eric Spinner for Medford Township Council, was named the PAC?s founding treasurer. The PAC?s address was changed to Senechal?s 15 Corlen Court address in Medford after Karr stepped down and former Burlington County Democrat Freeholder candidate and party insider Dean Buono took over as chair of the PAC. At the time, they claimed in writing that the PAC estimated it would raise and spend $4,300 per year. Since its inception less than three years ago, the PAC has given more than $78,000 to Burlington County Democrat candidates and committees ? who initially received nearly all of the PAC?s donations.

That all changed in 2008, when the New Frontier PAC contributed $4,000 between March 4 and March 7 to a PAC linked to then-Hoboken Councilman Peter Cammarano called ?A Voice for All Hoboken.? Money from Burlington County Democrats to Cammarano increased in 2009, when the New Frontier PAC made three separate contributions between April 8 and June 1 to Cammarano?s mayoral campaign totaling $15,400, and a fourth contribution of $3,500 to one of Cammarano?s City Council running mates, Michael Novak. The PAC also sent contributions to Jersey City Mayor Jeremiah Healy and other Hudson County politicians.

Check out this must read link that indicates people in Hoboken were also scratching their heads about the involvement of a Medford-based PAC in Hoboken?s local election: http://hoboken411.com/archives/18031

?The money trail connecting Burlington County Democrats to the recently indicted Mayor of Hoboken, plus other Hudson County politicians involved in the ongoing corruption probe, raises serious questions about the New Frontier PAC, its methods, and its motives,? said Russell, questioning the validity of the New Frontier PAC?s D-4 filing with NJ ELEC that claims Buono and Senechal have complete control over every aspect of the PAC. ?Who is really calling the shots for this PAC? Frankly, it?s hard to believe that Mr. Buono or Mr. Senechal, independently decided to make a 32-year old, Hoboken mayoral candidate their PAC?s largest beneficiary. While the paperwork Buono and Senechal signed with NJ ELEC claims they have complete autonomy over the PAC, it?s laughably na?ve to think that Rick Perr doesn?t influence New Frontier PAC decisions, if not outright control them. In light of all that happened a week ago today, it?s time Buono, Senechal and Perr did some explaining. Burlington County property taxpayers deserve to know the truth about what interests County Democrats have with corrupt public officials in Hoboken and Hudson County??

http://www.nj.com/forums/burlington/index.ssf?artid=9033

Posted on: 2009/8/1 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken mayor accused in corruption sweep has South Jersey/Burlington County ties

By: DAVID LEVINSKY
Burlington County Times

A North Jersey politician charged in last month's federal corruption sweep has ties to Burlington County political leaders, who raised large sums of money for his campaign this year.

According to state Election Law Enforcement Commission reports, the Medford-based New Frontier Committee raised $15,400 for Hoboken Democrat Peter Cammarano III between April and June.

Cammarano was elected as Hoboken's mayor in a runoff election in June but resigned Friday amid accusations that he accepted a $10,000 bribe from a witness cooperating with an FBI investigation. He was one of 44 people arrested by the FBI on July 23. Others included state Assemblymen Daniel Van Pelt, R-9th of Ocean Township, and L. Harvey Smith, D-31st of Jersey City.

The New Frontier Committee is an ideological political action committee formed in 2006 by former county Democratic Committee Chairman Gary Karr and Medford attorney Jack Senechal, who serves as treasurer. Shortly after its creation, Evesham Democrat Dean Buono took over as chairman.

In its three years, the committee has raised about $119,000 and donated about $115,000 to Democratic candidates and political committees, mostly in Burlington County and South Jersey.

The largest donors to New Frontier were Hudson County-based Royal Printing Services; Hammonton engineering firm Adams, Rehmann & Heggan Associates; engineers from CME Associates in Howell; and Palisades Park resident Joseph Dell'Aquila, who works for Hoboken development firm JDA Group LLC.

In addition to the New Frontier PAC, county Democratic Party Chairman Rick Perr and party treasurer Jeff Meyer both solicited donations for Cammarano's campaign.

"While we tend to stay within our geography, this is one time that your assistance in another part of the state will help Burlington Democrats," Perr wrote in a March 9 e-mail to party members and donors. "I am asking you to donate $300-$500 to Peter Cammarano for mayor in order to put into place other young, progressive Democratic leaders like our own in Burlington."

In the e-mail, Perr asked that donations be sent to Buono's home in Evesham.

Meyer, who is executive vice president of Capital Public Affairs Inc. in Princeton, a lobbying and public relations firm, hosted fundraisers on Cammarano's behalf in the spring, and he was one of more than 75 people who served on Cammarano's mayoral transition team after the June election.

Perr and Meyer said they were shocked and sickened by the federal charges against Cammarano, who was considered a promising young Democratic leader.

"We publicly and categorically denounce corruption in public office and those associated with it. To the extent that Peter is convicted [or] pleads guilty, he deserves the fullest sentence that the law will allow," Perr said Friday after being asked about the county party's connections.

The Burlington County Republican Committee revealed the connection between Cammarano and the New Frontier PAC on Thursday in a news release.

The release pointed out that New Frontier donated $1,500 to Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy's campaign in March, and that it also donated $3,500 to Cammarano's running mate, Hoboken City Council candidate Michael Novak, in May.

Jersey City Deputy Mayor Leona Deldini was among the 44 people charged in the federal corruption probe. Healy was not charged but was named in a federal criminal complaint. He has declined to resign.

Novak was unsuccessful in winning a seat on Hoboken's council but was named chairman of Cammarano's transition team.

New Frontier also donated $4,000 to A Voice for All Hoboken PAC last year, according to election commission reports.

Republican political consultant Chris Russell questioned why Burlington County Democrats were taking interest in North Jersey political campaigns.

"Burlington County property taxpayers deserve to know the truth about what interests county Democrats have with corrupt public officials in Hoboken and Hudson County," Russell said.

Perr and Meyer criticized the county GOP's attempts to connect them to corruption by association.

"I find it ironic that the Republican Party, whose very own membership rolls are filled with individuals who have been the subject of federal and state criminal investigations and who are involved in a proven scheme in which millions of dollars of inflated bills at the [Burlington County] Bridge Commission were funneled back to their party coffers, is in a position to lecture anyone about ethics or corruption," Perr said.

Meyer said the GOP was trying to "distract the voters from their record on taxes, spending and government."

Email: mhayes@phillyBurbs.com and dlevinsky@phillyBurbs.com

Posted on: 2009/8/1 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/13 22:03
From see profile name
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/31 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting, LifeofRiley. I wonder if he wrote the letter himself. You'd think his lawyers would handle it.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 16:50
I live by the river.

Re: Slip of the lip? Peter Cammarano admits guilt?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
you give him too much credit - i don't think he knows the difference. he is a seaton hall graduate ...

btw it is funny that they still have his official bio on their website. how long will it take until the city erases all signs of him ...

Quote:

LifeOfRiley wrote:
Thanks, covetalker.

Parsing Peter Cammarano's written words, if I may....

If you read closely, using pure logic, it's an admission of guilt. Specifically it is these words written, "It has been my hope and expectation that I could remain in office and perform my official duties until I had the opportunity to resolve the legal charges against me in court."

The key word here is "until" as in up to the time that I am incarcerated. Logically one may reason this means: I remain in office until I am imprisoned. If exonerated, naturally he would still remain in office after resolving the legal charges and not limited to "until".

What he should have written is, "It has been my hope and expectation that I could remain in office and perform my official duties while I have the opportunity to resolve the legal charges against me in court."

or better yet:

"It has been my hope and expectation that I may remain in office and perform my official duties while I successfully prove my innocence in court."

Or perhaps I'm way off base? I may very well be. That's my 1st impression. then again, I find his style of writing for the entire letter is quite awkward.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:41

Slip of the lip? Peter Cammarano admits guilt?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Thanks, covetalker.

Parsing Peter Cammarano's written words, if I may....

If you read closely, using pure logic, it's an admission of guilt. Specifically it is these words written, "It has been my hope and expectation that I could remain in office and perform my official duties until I had the opportunity to resolve the legal charges against me in court."

The key word here is "until" as in up to the time that I am incarcerated. Logically one may reason this means: I remain in office until I am imprisoned. If exonerated, naturally he would still remain in office after resolving the legal charges and not limited to "until".

What he should have written is, "It has been my hope and expectation that I could remain in office and perform my official duties while I have the opportunity to resolve the legal charges against me in court."

or better yet:

"It has been my hope and expectation that I may remain in office and perform my official duties while I successfully prove my innocence in court."

Or perhaps I'm way off base? I may very well be. That's my 1st impression. then again, I find his style of writing for the entire letter is quite awkward.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:20

Re: Hoboken Mayor Peter Corruptarano will resign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Peter Corruptarano resigning is hopefully a positive sign that Vega follows suit.

Quote:

covetalker wrote:
In a letter (see link below) received by the Hoboken City Clerk at 9:16 a.m. today, Peter Cammarano III has resigned as Mayor of Hoboken, effective noon today:

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impa ... cammaranoresignationleter

Posted on: 2009/7/31 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
In a letter (see link below) received by the Hoboken City Clerk at 9:16 a.m. today, Peter Cammarano III has resigned as Mayor of Hoboken, effective noon today:

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impa ... ammaranoresignationletter

Posted on: 2009/7/31 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
If this is correct I think she will be the first female Mayor since Hoboken's incorporation in 1855. I feel she will serve the city well.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Other news reports are indicating Camarano has not yet made up his mind yet...is this resignation a definite?

Posted on: 2009/7/31 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

sinik wrote:
kind of figures that Hoboken's mayor would be a kid

Our best councilman is a kid. Your point?

Slight difference between councilman and mayor. I don't think Fulop would have won this time, and I suspect neither does he or he would have run.

The point is kids vote for kids

Posted on: 2009/7/31 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
That's great news about Cammarano. Once a few of them start resigning it puts more pressure on the others to follow suit.

I found Cammarano to be one of the most arrogant. Good riddance.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

July 31, 2009
Hoboken?s Mayor Agrees to Step Down
By DAVID M. HALBFINGER

A week after being arrested on extortion charges, Mayor Peter J. Cammarano III of Hoboken has bowed to enormous pressure and will step down, the New Jersey governor, Jon S. Corzine, said Thursday afternoon.

Mr. Cammarano, 32, a Democrat who had been a councilman before being sworn in as mayor on July 1, was among more than a dozen New Jersey political figures arrested by federal authorities on July 23 in a huge corruption scandal that centered on Hudson County. His resignation comes two days after that of Dennis Elwell, the mayor of Secaucus, who was also charged.

The authorities say Mr. Cammarano, both before and after his June election, accepted $25,000 in cash from an undercover cooperating witness, Solomon Dwek, who posed as a developer looking to gain government support for his projects in several New Jersey counties.

Mr. Dwek also helped build cases against five rabbis and other people on money-laundering charges in Brooklyn and on the Jersey Shore, and led prosecutors to charge another Brooklyn man with conspiring to broker the sale of a human kidney for a transplant.

Mr. Corzine?s re-election campaign has been battered by the political corruption end of the scandal, which forced the resignation of one of his cabinet members, Joseph V. Doria, the commissioner of community affairs, after Mr. Doria?s home and office were searched by the F.B.I.

Indeed, citing the scandal, three Washington publications that track elections nationwide ? Congressional Quarterly, the Cook Political Report and the Rothenberg Political Report ? have shifted their ratings of the New Jersey governor?s race in favor of Mr. Corzine?s Republican challenger, Christopher J. Christie, the former United States attorney for New Jersey. Mr. Christie, who gained fame prosecuting public corruption, ran the office from 2002 until late last year.

Mr. Corzine has repeatedly called for the resignations of all the public officials charged in the case, but most have refused.

For days, Mr. Cammarano ignored protesters outside his town house demanding his resignation. On Thursday, however, in an appearance at Montclair State University, Mr. Corzine said that lawyers from his office had been speaking with Mr. Cammarano?s lawyers and that the Hoboken mayor had agreed to step down ?within the next 24 hours.?

Mr. Cammarano?s lawyer, Joseph A. Hayden Jr., did not dispute the governor?s account but said only that Mr. Cammarano would formally announce his decision on Friday.

Mr. Cammarano will fight the charges in court, Mr. Hayden said. ?But the controversy surrounding this case has interfered with his ability to perform his duties and the smooth and efficient operation of Hoboken government,? and has also been a burden to his family, he added.

The criminal complaint against Mr. Cammarano, who narrowly won a runoff election for mayor on June 9, says that he accepted money from Mr. Dwek in exchange for promises of help with Mr. Dwek?s projects.

In one surreptitiously recorded conversation mentioned in the complaint, Mr. Cammarano declared that, once in office, he would divide the world into three categories: those who were with him all along, ?the people who climbed aboard in the runoff,? and those who were ?against us the whole way.?

Of this last group, the complaint quotes him as saying, ?They get ground into powder.?

Let's hope the lawyers from Corzine's office are not done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/31/nyregion/31hoboken.html?hp

Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:19
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
News 12 NJ -- the only "official" news station for our state -- was at City Hall this morning.

The problem is way bigger than this fiasco -- news media around the country is growing smaller and more frugal. I bet that Jonathan Dientz at News Channel4 would love to continue to cover this story -- since he's the one who broke it -- but chances are, he's moving on, at least until the next major development.

Thank god for the online news sources, namely Jersey City Independent. And the folks tweeting from the city council meeting.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Healy's still around?

Posted on: 2009/7/30 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:

Our best councilman is a kid. Your point?

Posted on: 2009/7/30 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Well, now we'll see the answer to a long running question: Is a Hudson County city capable of good government? Dawn and her council of supporters will have their chance to reform it's government, but is it going to be like the US under Clinton and possibly under Obama, just too full of inertia and vested interests to change for the better?

One thing's for sure, we in JC better watch closely. And note that even with the gentrifying demographic changes in Hoboken far outstripping ours, Cammarano still won for the old machine. It's still a force to be reckoned with there, which means its several times as powerful here.

Good luck Dawn!!

Posted on: 2009/7/30 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Mr. Cammarano brings us to two: the number of indicted elected officials with the courage to set aside self interest and do what is best for the people he serves. I would think the resignations can't bode well for their fellow indicted. Maybe the pressure is mounting for those facing trial to start cutting deals?

Posted on: 2009/7/30 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
He doesn't even have ignorance as an excuse being an election lawyer and all. Jeez. AND this kinda has something to do with Jersey City since it was done under the same FBI sting and our mayor is under a cloud of suspicion. I moved here from Secaucus and THAT mayor was stung too.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/30 18:22

Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano will resign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
Thursday July 30, 2009, 1:26 PM
HOBOKEN --- Hoboken Mayor Peter Cammarano, battered by charges in the N.J. corruption scandal, is expected to announce his resignation Friday, a report in PolitickerNJ said.

Council President Dawn Zimmer, who lost a June 10 runoff to Cammarano, will become the Acting Mayor, and a special election will be held in November to fill the remainder of Cammarano's term, the report said. The 32-year-old election law attorney, who won a runoff election weeks ago, is accused of taking $25,000 in bribes from a developer. The developer, identified as Solomon Dwek, was cooperating with the FBI and wore a wire
New Jersey officials, including Gov. Jon Corzine, have called on Cammarano to resign. Angry residents gathered in the rain at City Hall in Hoboken Monday night, demanding Mayor Peter Cammarano leave office.

Joseph Garcia, a Columbia Law School-educated attorney, quit his position Tuesday as Cammarano's chief-of-staff. Last Friday, Mayor Peter Cammarano had said he would not resign and planned to continue running the city.

Previously a Hoboken councilman, Cammarano is also an attorney who specializes in election law. The 32-year-old is the youngest mayor Hoboken has had.

PROFILE: FBI says Hoboken's new mayor employed old school political tactics

Posted on: 2009/7/30 18:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017