Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Brick Haus gym - any good?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
I pay $75. It's a good gym, but I'm canceling because I'm a lazy piece of shit. I've probably gone 15 times in the last year.

Posted on: 2009/6/22 20:06

Brick Haus gym - any good?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Any one have experience with Brick Haus gym? I am debating between Brick Haus and Gold Coast. I know that Gold Coast is friendly and has reasonable prices. Brick Haus doesn't post their prices on the website, but it look that they may have a few "extra" amenities.

Anybody know what they're like, any gym attitude/atmosphere, and what the PRICES are???

Posted on: 2009/6/22 20:04

Re: Brick Haus Gym

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
I joined brick haus about a month ago, and I like it a lot They're open till 11pm, have lots of cool equipment and people are pretty friendly. Much better than the NYSC down in harborside which felt cramped..

one thing that is annoying about brickhaus is the tvs connected to the cardio equipment on the 2nd floor! can't they just get regular cable on those things? you have to flip through endless dead channels to find something watchable sometimes. And they don't seem to mark which equipment isn't operational..either its not marked, or they don't know its broke!

but overall its a cool gym.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 15:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/16 16:49
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any feedback on the classes? Are they typically crowded?

Posted on: 2008/10/31 3:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I also recommend Brick Haus. Like others have said, it's always very clean and there's never a wait for cardio equipment. Plus, the staff is great. They're really friendly and always say hello. I'm really happy with it.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Joined Brick Haus last month when my old gym in Hoboken went ?belly-up?.

I visited Club H for a free trial, but I prefer Brick Haus because it?s less of a ?scene? gym, less glitzy, and less expensive than Club H, but the equipment and facilities are still top-notch. But? to each his/her own.

Overall, I?m very happy with Brick Haus and would recommend it.

My only minor quibble is that I wish that there was an expanded floor area for stretching and ab work that had a wood surface. The current area in the corner can get a little crowded after work with as little as two people there and I find the rubber floor surface doesn?t give. I?ll use the class studio floor, which is wood, but sometimes that isn?t possible with a class going full-tilt.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 15:17
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Brick Haus is great. I've been a member since they opened and am still very happy.

The place is spotless, they do a great job with the upkeep.
I'm usually there from 7-9 in the evenings. At that time, there is never a wait for cardio equipment and very seldom a wait for anything else and usually that's only for the benches by the dumbbells. Days and weekends, it's empty. Not sure about other times.

The only thing that I would change is to have a few treadmills without tv's that face mirrors but that's just a personal preference for motivation.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 14:32

Re: Brickhaus trainers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 19:22
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone have any experience with the trainers at Brickhausare they knowledgeable?

My husband and I both do personal training with Ken, the personal training manager. He is very knowledgeable. I believe he has several certifications for training, nutrition, etc. I have been working out w/ him for 5 weeks and have lost several inches. I definitely recommend him as a trainer. :)

Posted on: 2008/1/27 22:22

Brickhaus trainers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone have any experience with the trainers at Brickhaus? are they knowledgable? what about the classes offered? (yoga, pilates, etc.)

Posted on: 2008/1/26 16:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/1/17 2:04
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I were stalkers for months - waiting and waiting for Brickhaus to open. While it was frustrating, it was worth the wait! I use the treadmill or elliptical once or twice a week but primarily take classes. I've taken sculpt classes, cardio kickboxing, ab class, pilates, spinning, and yoga. Out of 4-6 classes a week for several months, there was only teacher who I didn't like (and I'm pretty sure she's not there anymore). I take Romula's classes all of the time, and she's fantastic! I can see a lot of change in my body in a fairly short period of time. Everyone at Brickhaus has been friendly, welcoming, and helpful. It's very clean and the steam room is a dream! I recommend it highly and enthusiastically! My husband is too lazy to write his own review, but he wants me to write that he loves karate with Dr. Ernest (he's seriously obsessed with the classes).

Posted on: 2008/1/17 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I just visited Brick Haus over the weekend. The $199 enrollment fee only applies if you want to go on a month-by-month payment plan. If you pay for an entire year's membership upfront (which is how I typically pay for my gym memberships), it's $899, no enrollment fee. That works out to $75/month. Sure, Synergy is less than half the price, but you get what you pay for - there's no classes and the equipment isn't maintained very well. Even though the cardio equipment in the back is only a little over a year old, one of the treadmills just broke. I'm willing to bet at least 2-3 other treadmills will also break soon, and it'll be weeks before they get anyone in there to fix 'em (that's what happened with the last batch). Some of the elliptical cross trainers need maintenance. The place also is feeling seedier and seedier - there are leaks all over the place and for awhile, the women's locker room smelled like sewage. The steam room at Brick Haus really had me drooling - but maybe the weather had something to do with it. Does anyone have pricing details for Club H - and who really believes they'll open up on time??

Posted on: 2008/1/3 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
check out club h fitness opening in february i hope, i think only $75 per month no initial fee. probably much bigger and more luxury for less $$.

Posted on: 2008/1/3 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
well I went in there tonight to sign up for a full year and when I pointed out that the contract didn't have any language about what happens if you pay up front and have to cancel they got a little nasty with me (ie disabled/move for work etc) - the lady who I was told was the owner basically treated me like an idiot and I ended up walking out when she started on her if I die my relatives have to keep paying my gym membership speech and if I don't like it too bad

current rate is $199 enrollment and $74 monthly
place was pretty nice inside though and I am a little upset as I was all ready to work out too

That sucks. For what it's worth, they are probably signing up a million new years resolution members and maybe she was sort of fried. She still shouldn't have been a bitch though.

If you are still interested, I'd suggest going back and asking to talk to Michael, the other owner, who is awesome. I asked a million questions and tried to haggle the price down and he humored me throughout (this was a few months ago though).

Oh, pretend you saw me there tonight if anyone asks, okay? Way to blow a resolution two days in...

Michael was there and he initially was talking to me and was really nice / willing to work with me -- then the lady walked in and things went down hill fast....I wasn't really looking for a break just something in the contract that said if I had a legit reason to cancel that I could

Posted on: 2008/1/3 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
well I went in there tonight to sign up for a full year and when I pointed out that the contract didn't have any language about what happens if you pay up front and have to cancel they got a little nasty with me (ie disabled/move for work etc) - the lady who I was told was the owner basically treated me like an idiot and I ended up walking out when she started on her if I die my relatives have to keep paying my gym membership speech and if I don't like it too bad

place was pretty nice inside though and I am a little upset as I was all ready to work out too

That sucks. For what it's worth, they are probably signing up a million new years resolution members and maybe she was sort of fried. She still shouldn't have been a bitch though.

If you are still interested, I'd suggest going back and asking to talk to Michael, the other owner, who is awesome. I asked a million questions and tried to haggle the price down and he humored me throughout (this was a few months ago though).

Oh, pretend you saw me there tonight if anyone asks, okay? Way to blow a resolution two days in...

Posted on: 2008/1/3 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/1/3 1:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
any one have any input on the classes? the main reason I am looking to join a "real" gym (as opposed to the one at my school) is for some group fitness classes....

One of the owners (Michael) mentioned expanding the class offereings in the New Year. They are actually working on another studio exclusively for spinning classes on the lower level.
They are hoping for input for what new classes are within the member's interests.

Posted on: 2007/12/15 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Wife and I wound up signing up. It was a tough choice - I leaned toward the cheaper Gold Coast, but when I told my wife that there had been a dude in a banana hammock practicing his bodybuilding routine while I took the tour she got weirded out. Brick Haus is admittedly much more inviting and I figured it was worth the extra money since I feel more motivated to go there (I only intend to keep the membership during the cold months anyway). Also the yoga classes add value.

Posted on: 2007/12/15 17:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Took the tour (which I would recommend to anyone). Place successfully generates excitement and a desire to spend time there which is important part of fitness facility.
Joined up later and so far so good.
Class attendance is still sparse so its a good op to essentially get private-ish lessons with a professional.

Worth a look, esp if you are in the last months of membership elsewhere as they knock down the initial fee as an incentive to join up.

Posted on: 2007/12/15 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I've been going for about a month now and really like it. Have yet to venture into a class but the schedule of classes keeps getting larger, so I guess there is interest.

My only complaint is that the TVs on the machines don't all work quite yet, due to Comcast issues or something. (This speaks volumes about my own personal motivation issues, I know!!)

But beyond that, I think it's great. A nice addition to the hood.

Posted on: 2007/12/6 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any one have any input on the classes? the main reason I am looking to join a "real" gym (as opposed to the one at my school) is for some group fitness classes....

Posted on: 2007/12/6 4:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Cased the joint the other weekend.
Very nice and new.
Lovely eastern european Gabriela gave me the tour.
Everything looks top notch and the steam and sauna had me weak kneed.
$74 per month plus initiation fee.
They will knock down the initiation to $50 if you're in the last month of your contract at another gym.

However, all that being said, Gold Coast is $600 for 14 month or about $45 per month to lift heavy objects and run in place. Although the amenities are nowhere near as good as Brickhaus, value made the decision easy.
I'm sure new residents to new Grove Street condos will find Brickhaus and the Super H gym or whatever it is called most appealing. Enjoy.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Thanks for checking out the pec dec situation guys...seems no reason for me to go from Newport to Brick Haus then.

Prices seem about the same as well.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 14:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/11 21:27
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
They're cruising alright -- for a bloody bruisin'.

If only it weren't usually that rancid cheap-ass old lady perfume that smells like a mix of urine and "flowers." Gah.

Anyway, I was quoted 74 smackers a month at the brick haus -- on top of the 149 enrollment fee. And the locker rental was way steep, too. I think 20/month for a tiny one.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't see a pec dec, only a chest/rear delt flye mach.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
I second what Xerxes said about the pec-dec.

That's too bad if Brick Haus chose its equipment based on how it looks rather than on its functionality....sounds like great location, not-so-great equipment.

Looks like I'll be staying at World Boxing & Fitness afterall...

Posted on: 2007/11/6 7:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
What do you consider a "proper pec deck"

I'm pretty sure they have the one where you keep your arms sraight out and grasp the handels, can be reversed to do read delt.
I'm lifitng chest tonight so I'll double check and report back

A proper pec deck is one where the push is made with the insides of the elbows and forearms. This gives a very short lever arm that allows tremendous stress to be put on the pectorals without putting comparable stress on the wrists, elbows and shoulders. If the wrists elbows and shoulders are your weakest link, as they are for most people, there's no way to get your pecs worked with your arms held wide apart before you destroy your rotator cuffs. That silly wide armed nonsense is the only crappy piece they have at Newport also.

It's comparable to trying to do an overhead press by holding the weight with your fingertips..or doing curls by starting out with the weight held at arms length in front of you.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 4:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
what are the current rates for this place?

Posted on: 2007/11/6 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

cstone wrote:
...I'm looking at YOU, people who bathe in perfume and AXE body spray before working out, wear JEANS TO SPINNING CLASS and never clean up after yourself...

YIKES! I would leave that gym just because of that. Are they cruising?

sign me up

Posted on: 2007/11/5 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I also love the equipment at Brick Haus. Nice gym so far.

Posted on: 2007/11/5 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

cstone wrote:
...I'm looking at YOU, people who bathe in perfume and AXE body spray before working out, wear JEANS TO SPINNING CLASS and never clean up after yourself...

YIKES! I would leave that gym just because of that. Are they cruising?

Posted on: 2007/11/5 19:51

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017