Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Retail in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was told that Madame Claude's will be more of a wine bar than a wine store, though they will sell bottles. Like City Vino.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 17:55
I live by the river.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The gym will be a welcome addition to the area and will also have a lap pool. Madame Claudes wine store should be up and running by mid to late summer. I hope that it finds a unique niche and does not just offer wines because the Buy Rite liquor warehouse (Just 3 blocks away) is huge and has it all. Price in these tough economic times is everything in retail.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely will be a gym opening up, but who knows how long it will take. Looks like a few months away at least.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 16:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
Heard a rumor that gym will also be going in at Hamilton Park. Does anyone have any info, as I couldn't pull anything up off google.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 16:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Xerxes, you are very cranky. And pessimistic. You must chill, it can't be any fun being such a curmudgeon 24/7. Just sayin...

Posted on: 2010/5/31 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Madame Claude's team is chugging away to open as soon as possible. The shop will specialize in French wines and spirits.

!! Absinthe ?? !!

Posted on: 2010/5/31 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I love Smith & Chang. Bought two wedding gifts there so far. If you're a fan of cast iron cook, the selection is great. Some unusual sizes and lots of lids. Madame Claude's team is chugging away to open as soon as possible. The shop will specialize in French wines and spirits.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 16:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any updates on the stores opening up in Hamilton Square? I saw a sign for Madame Claude Wine & Spirits (wish it were the restaurant instead). Now that the park is open, I hope this these places are rented soon.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:
You're a very pessimistic person. I ask you...what makes Hoboken different? Why hasn't Manhattan "cast a pall" over bars, restaurants, and retail in Hoboken?

I don;t "know" Hoboken so I rarely talk about what it is and what is not, nor what is possible and what is not.
I DO know Jersey City, having lived in different parts of it for 40 years.

The original question was to the point of "retail in Hamilton park" and I expressed why it is not possible. Perhaps if Hoboken had a large Mall with 100 stores plus a Target, Home Depot, Pep Boys, Best Buy, Buy Rite, etc., then boutique realtors would not have a chance and Washington St. would be bereft of retail.

As for bars...I think there is a different, though hard to define precisely, demograph operating in Hoboken than in Paulus Hook, Newark Avenue, Hamilton Park, or Neport. I just get that feeling.

Restaurants: Those who cannot find them in abundance within a mile of the Pavonia/Newport station are just blind. Perhaps if people actually SUPPORTED a restaurant when it opened it wouldn't close when the next lease was due. If you want lovely restaurants be prepared to drop some change a couple times a month.
Has anyone ever eaten at the South City Grille, Michael Anthony's, the Westin or the Double Tree, or even humbel Chili's?
If the answer is NO, then you know why there will not be a new restaurant any time soon.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Hoboken's function is also to provide a well-rested workforce of NYC. But it's retail scene has THRIVED.

The real difference is Washington Street. A strip that serves as the retail/restaurant/bar strip. Jersey City sorely lacks that (and it's pathetic seeing that it's a city of a quarter million people). This is what Newark Ave NEEDS to be. Because the retail spaces are there (unlike in Hamilton Park).

uh...have you BEEN to Hoboken? hardly a thriving retail scene. stores are closing down every day. even before the current economic crisis, Washington Street has always been papered with For Rent signs. even seemingly popular restaurants shut their doors without notice. running a small business is tough, period.

Maybe my point was more restaurants and bars, rather than retail. If you don't think Hoboken has a thriving restaurant and bar scene, then I don't know what to say.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Hoboken's function is also to provide a well-rested workforce of NYC. But it's retail scene has THRIVED.

The real difference is Washington Street. A strip that serves as the retail/restaurant/bar strip. Jersey City sorely lacks that (and it's pathetic seeing that it's a city of a quarter million people). This is what Newark Ave NEEDS to be. Because the retail spaces are there (unlike in Hamilton Park).

uh...have you BEEN to Hoboken? hardly a thriving retail scene. stores are closing down every day. even before the current economic crisis, Washington Street has always been papered with For Rent signs. even seemingly popular restaurants shut their doors without notice. running a small business is tough, period.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Cities do not open restaurants, nor do they declare by fiat what will become "restaurant row."
If a market can and will support a venture, the venture will find the market. BUT if there are 20 other ventures currently supplying the need, no sane entrepreneur will toss away his money and time.

Newark Avenue is Newark Avenue becasue the market has determined that is what it shall be.

Wishing will NOT make it otherwise.

Anyone here who thinks such and such amenity will fly at Newark and Grove, take a few hundred grand and open the amenity and make your million.

I'm telling you why it will NOT happen around Hamilton Park but that does not mean you can't give it a go and see for yourself. Maybe Newark Ave and Grove will be more forthcoming for something upscale. I doubt it but who knows?

Over the years I can think of about a dozen Ale-Housey type places for some upscale imbing. All dead or dying because of lack of interest. Any guesses why?

Even ONE gay bar couldn't make a go of it with absolutely NO competition anywhere in the City.

Perhaps, just like all the shopping at Newport casts a pall over Hamilton Park's possibilities, in the same way Manhattan casts a pall over Jersey City.

You're a very pessimistic person. I ask you...what makes Hoboken different? Why hasn't Manhattan "cast a pall" over bars, restaurants, and retail in Hoboken?

Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Cities do not open restaurants, nor do they declare by fiat what will become "restaurant row."
If a market can and will support a venture, the venture will find the market. BUT if there are 20 other ventures currently supplying the need, no sane entrepreneur will toss away his money and time.

Newark Avenue is Newark Avenue becasue the market has determined that is what it shall be.

Wishing will NOT make it otherwise.

Anyone here who thinks such and such amenity will fly at Newark and Grove, take a few hundred grand and open the amenity and make your million.

I'm telling you why it will NOT happen around Hamilton Park but that does not mean you can't give it a go and see for yourself. Maybe Newark Ave and Grove will be more forthcoming for something upscale. I doubt it but who knows?

Over the years I can think of about a dozen Ale-Housey type places for some upscale imbing. All dead or dying because of lack of interest. Any guesses why?

Even ONE gay bar couldn't make a go of it with absolutely NO competition anywhere in the City.

Perhaps, just like all the shopping at Newport casts a pall over Hamilton Park's possibilities, in the same way Manhattan casts a pall over Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
I totally see Grove Street and Newark Ave. (and the little off shoots of streets in that area) being that place. Didn't the city pass something a few months back declaring Newark restaurant row?

I believe the city had designated Newark Ave. "restaurant row" 5 years ago too, only they have not done much to support that claim. Recent street/sidewalk renovations will help but the overall impression is still pretty ghetto. The city will have to do a lot more than putting in new benches and trees to get upsacale retailers and restaurants to venture down Newark Ave.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I totally see Grove Street and Newark Ave. (and the little off shoots of streets in that area) being that place. Didn't the city pass something a few months back declaring Newark restaurant row?

Posted on: 2010/2/16 17:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed! Newark Ave could be a great place to shop and dine but at the moment it is littered with 99cent stores and rundown shops. Downtown Jersey City needs a main street it can be proud of.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I disagree. Hoboken's function is also to provide a well-rested workforce of NYC. But it's retail scene has THRIVED.

I very much agree!

Posted on: 2010/2/16 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
It's too bad Hamilton Park Ale House and Simple went downhill the last couple of years.

Thing is it's not "too bad" but rather INEVITABLE.

It's one thing to wish for a certain type of shoppe ("pe" deliberately added) and quite another for a neighborhood to SUPPORT such a thing. Yes, one can bemoan the awfulness of post pubescent college types drinking and pucking on Washington Aven (Hoboken I presume) but it is EXACTLY those types who are required to make a success of an "Ale House" or "Ye Olde Tavern."
In a neighborhood where people collapse into bed after working like dogs all day to support a mortgage, cutesy will go by the wayside and "Ye Olde Ale House" will be doomed to failure. If one ran a successful bar, the Hamilton Park neighborhood would soon be up in arms about all the noise.

The same lack of people on the street that makes your wife wary of walking the streets at night is the same lack of people who make boutique shoppes and taverns financially untenable.

This is not conjecture on my part...several shoppes have tried and failed. Only fools rush in to fill their vacuum.

Wishing will not make Jersey City into Chelsea, Tribeca, or Fifth Avenue. It's a burb whose sole function is to provide a nearby well-rested workforce for NYC during good times.

I disagree. Hoboken's function is also to provide a well-rested workforce of NYC. But it's retail scene has THRIVED.

You have to remember there are about 5 shopping districts in Jersey City that?s 5 different avenues plus scattered store fronts. Most towns have one...one main street sometimes named Main Street or as most label it Main Street U.S.A. Hoboken's main artery is Washington St., Bayonne has Broadway, and West N.Y. has Bergenline Ave. By not having one area of commerce concentrating potential customers then there may not be enough revenue to generate a profit. People like to go to one place or area such as a shopping mall or an outdoor plaza.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
It's too bad Hamilton Park Ale House and Simple went downhill the last couple of years.

Thing is it's not "too bad" but rather INEVITABLE.

It's one thing to wish for a certain type of shoppe ("pe" deliberately added) and quite another for a neighborhood to SUPPORT such a thing. Yes, one can bemoan the awfulness of post pubescent college types drinking and pucking on Washington Aven (Hoboken I presume) but it is EXACTLY those types who are required to make a success of an "Ale House" or "Ye Olde Tavern."
In a neighborhood where people collapse into bed after working like dogs all day to support a mortgage, cutesy will go by the wayside and "Ye Olde Ale House" will be doomed to failure. If one ran a successful bar, the Hamilton Park neighborhood would soon be up in arms about all the noise.

The same lack of people on the street that makes your wife wary of walking the streets at night is the same lack of people who make boutique shoppes and taverns financially untenable.

This is not conjecture on my part...several shoppes have tried and failed. Only fools rush in to fill their vacuum.

Wishing will not make Jersey City into Chelsea, Tribeca, or Fifth Avenue. It's a burb whose sole function is to provide a nearby well-rested workforce for NYC during good times.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mikewho12 wrote:
I agree, I think that people would support a business that is unique and affordable. Restaurants probably have the best chance of survival because there is not much competition in the HP area, but other businesses could thrive if they hit the right cord and price point. I think the biggest problem is that what we have right now isn't that great. If we had a few really good restaurants to choose from nobody would be complaining. Another major problem is that there is a major lack of retail space. We can argue about whether there should be more retail in HP until we are blue in the face but the fact of the matter is there is nowhere to put said retail. If Hamilton Inn ever returns and the bar formally known as Beret's Simple or Simple Beret's opens up again with food that is better than before (shouldn't be hard, their food was terrible) things won't be so bad. As is we have one or two bars to choose from, a sandwich shop and a few delis here and there. Adding those two back in the mix would greatly add to our neighborhood. Hopefully the shops at Hamilton Square will open up and really give us some options.

A problem for all business in JC is that there is no foot traffic during the day, business can't survive without it, even in NYC neighborhoods if there was very little to no foot traffic during the day a business won't survive.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:

Before moving to JC 2 1/2 years ago, we lived in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn which is also sandwiched between Manhattan (although it's easier to get to Manhattan since multiple subway lines service the area, not just PATH, not to mention it's part of NYC so you can take a quick, cheap cab ride home if it get's late) and a mall (Atlantic Center has a Pathmark, Target, and a collection of chain retail stores like Old Navy, PC Richards, Victoria's Secret, Marshall's, Bath & Body Works, Children's Place, etc.).

Fort Greene easily supports a wide variety of restaurants, bars, boutique stores, BAM, and even the Brooklyn Flea. So I don't think it's just geography that makes or breaks a neighborhood's businesses. I love JC and see a lot of potential for it to develop and grow its downtown into something much more vibrant. Whether you want JC to move in that direction is another story (it may well be that this kind of change is associated with other changes like higher rents and prices), but I don't think it's true that it simply can't happen here.

We lived in Brooklyn for 5 years before moving here and I agree with you!

Posted on: 2010/2/16 3:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, I think that people would support a business that is unique and affordable. Restaurants probably have the best chance of survival because there is not much competition in the HP area, but other businesses could thrive if they hit the right cord and price point. I think the biggest problem is that what we have right now isn't that great. If we had a few really good restaurants to choose from nobody would be complaining. Another major problem is that there is a major lack of retail space. We can argue about whether there should be more retail in HP until we are blue in the face but the fact of the matter is there is nowhere to put said retail. If Hamilton Inn ever returns and the bar formally known as Beret's Simple or Simple Beret's opens up again with food that is better than before (shouldn't be hard, their food was terrible) things won't be so bad. As is we have one or two bars to choose from, a sandwich shop and a few delis here and there. Adding those two back in the mix would greatly add to our neighborhood. Hopefully the shops at Hamilton Square will open up and really give us some options.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 2:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Well you would know better than myself. But people do like to talk a lot about it at least being a lot "different." My wife has been here for 10 and can attest to that.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
Quote:
I live at Newport and say ENOUGH ALREADY, no more stores! And if I want great bars, great theater, and the greatest restaurants in the United States, I need only jump on the PATH train at my feet. Who needs another retail shop on site?

I agree with a lot of what you say, but.....

I also feel that Newport is a lot different than HP, or other JC neighborhoods. I really believe that Newport is a sleepover for people who do all of their play in NYC.

I live near HP, and I RARELY go to NYC, or Newport Mall. In fact I call Newport "leggo city." I think it lacks taste and it's uncomfortable to walk around although it probably is safer than my neighborhood.

The issues with Michael Anthony's and the Embankment is they went too BIG. It's like an SUV. No longer economical in this climate. Look at the places that have succeeded in this town and you will find dinky little shops like Marco and Pepe's, Another Man's Treasure, Beechwood, White Star, and Madame Claudes etc. Tiny places where you can barely fit through the door and WE LOVE THEM! Well, most of them. Always packed and they probably have low over-head.

I've only lived here for 3 years, and I hear grove street was a hell hole. Some may say it resurged when places like Marco and Pepe's came around. But I remember going to the candlelight vigil for the man who was shot last February on Coles Street between 6th and 7th.... There were hundreds of people. A Community. I do believe these same people would support a business. The business just needs to have a good product/service, and should be small enough that it doesn't start out a quarter mil in the hole like the Ox probably did. That's not smart. Only time will tell, but I too dream.... of at least better choices.

I've been here 21+ years and I can tell you from first-hand experience that this area was not a "hell-hole" back in 1988 when I arrived. It seems a lot of folks like to foment some kind of romantic notion that this place was a warzone. To coin a phrase from 1988, that's hogwash.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 21:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I live at Newport and say ENOUGH ALREADY, no more stores! And if I want great bars, great theater, and the greatest restaurants in the United States, I need only jump on the PATH train at my feet. Who needs another retail shop on site?

I agree with a lot of what you say, but.....

I also feel that Newport is a lot different than HP, or other JC neighborhoods. I really believe that Newport is a sleepover for people who do all of their play in NYC.

I live near HP, and I RARELY go to NYC, or Newport Mall. In fact I call Newport "leggo city." I think it lacks taste and it's uncomfortable to walk around although it probably is safer than my neighborhood.

The issues with Michael Anthony's and the Embankment is they went too BIG. It's like an SUV. No longer economical in this climate. Look at the places that have succeeded in this town and you will find dinky little shops like Marco and Pepe's, Another Man's Treasure, Beechwood, White Star, and Madame Claudes etc. Tiny places where you can barely fit through the door and WE LOVE THEM! Well, most of them. Always packed and they probably have low over-head.

I've only lived here for 3 years, and I hear grove street was a hell hole. Some may say it resurged when places like Marco and Pepe's came around. But I remember going to the candlelight vigil for the man who was shot last February on Coles Street between 6th and 7th.... There were hundreds of people. A Community. I do believe these same people would support a business. The business just needs to have a good product/service, and should be small enough that it doesn't start out a quarter mil in the hole like the Ox probably did. That's not smart. Only time will tell, but I too dream.... of at least better choices.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

All neighborhoods want a lovely mix of tasteful living. BUT living in the shadow of NYC makes that VERY difficult. A large city sucks the life out of any attempt to make the adjoining "communities" anything but safe places to sleep, if lucky.

Hamilton Park has the double disadvantage of being next to a Mall, many additional huge stores (Shop-Rite, A&P, BJ's, Target, Home Depot, Hoboken Beverage, Best Buys, Buy Rite.
Think hard, has anyone EVER seen a lively area next to a Mall...I have not. I cannot conceive of ANYTWERE, NYC included that has such a concentration of huge retailers in such a small area. What in Heavens name could be left for Hamilton Park?

Those living there should be content with enough of EVERYTHING...anything else is overkill.

Before moving to JC 2 1/2 years ago, we lived in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn which is also sandwiched between Manhattan (although it's easier to get to Manhattan since multiple subway lines service the area, not just PATH, not to mention it's part of NYC so you can take a quick, cheap cab ride home if it get's late) and a mall (Atlantic Center has a Pathmark, Target, and a collection of chain retail stores like Old Navy, PC Richards, Victoria's Secret, Marshall's, Bath & Body Works, Children's Place, etc.).

Fort Greene easily supports a wide variety of restaurants, bars, boutique stores, BAM, and even the Brooklyn Flea. So I don't think it's just geography that makes or breaks a neighborhood's businesses. I love JC and see a lot of potential for it to develop and grow its downtown into something much more vibrant. Whether you want JC to move in that direction is another story (it may well be that this kind of change is associated with other changes like higher rents and prices), but I don't think it's true that it simply can't happen here.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:

All neighborhoods want a lovely mix of tasteful living. BUT living in the shadow of NYC makes that VERY difficult. A large city sucks the life out of any attempt to make the adjoining "communities" anything but safe places to sleep, if lucky.

Hamilton Park has the double disadvantage of being next to a Mall, many additional huge stores (Shop-Rite, A&P, BJ's, Target, Home Depot, Hoboken Beverage, Best Buys, Buy Rite.
Think hard, has anyone EVER seen a lively area next to a Mall...I have not. I cannot conceive of ANYTWERE, NYC included that has such a concentration of huge retailers in such a small area. What in Heavens name could be left for Hamilton Park?

Those living there should be content with enough of EVERYTHING...anything else is overkill.

(And yes, I am the same distance from the Newport Mall as Hamilton Park is.)

Anybody who wants a beautiful bar tthere is the South Shore Grile and Michael Anthony's. They are both dying. Why, because of lack of interest. In spite of being surrounded by THOUSANDS of apartments within a couple blocks. Add Dorrians, Ole, Charley's (now defunct)...all mostly empty and you will see the fate of another bar opening in HP.

I agree with you about the retail shops. It will be tough with all those big stores by. You have to have some sort of intuitive insight to do well. For instance, a wine shop could do well. People would rather run down to the corner than across Holland Tunnel traffic. But if they're stocking up they'll go to buyrite, so they would probably lose out on bigger orders.

I disagree with you on the restaurants however. Like I said before HPAH and Simple did well before management changes. White Star does well. As far as South City Grill and Michael Anthony's are concerned. Why take a crappy walk across Marin and thru a mall to go to a mediocre restaurant at best?

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Yes, I can understand why someone would not want to eat at the Mall's Food Court. But have any of you looking for some decent food in a nice setting eaten at The South City Grille, Michael Anthonys (with the best restaurant view in the city,) or the steakhouses in either the Westin or the Double Tree?

Why not? Is 4 or 5 blocks too far to travel? Must a restaurant be on your block? If you take the PATH to work, then these restaurants are as close to you as a restaurant can be.

For those who want to buy gifts, does Macy's lack something that some cutesy local candle shop, or handmade soap shop has? (The Mall BTW DOES have a cutesy candle shop.)
Would you prefer to buy your Wranglers or Dockers at Ye Olde Jeans Shop at twice the price that SEARS, PENNEY'S, or KOHL'S charges? In fact if you work in Manhattan you can merrily buy your jeans for $200 on 14th Street around 11th Ave...a couple of ADORABLE shops for those with more money than brains.

I appreciate all your comments. They are very interesting and an opinion based on you living here. However, I'm very curious about someone doing a real business plan, taking out opinion, rather a focussed one that reviews everything related to what it takes to open a business here. I also wonder if these boutique stores did their comprehensive business plan first. I have my opinions on what I think this neighborhood should do, but it doesn't mean my opinion would result in my action to patronize these businesses. There is most certainly a difference. Detailed surveys, focus groups - all the due diligence of a good business plan would weed that out and we'd all learn what is currently needed, wanted and would at least succeed on paper.

Your opinion may represent many people, but I believe mine must too.

I know a very intelligent, successful business man who walked around our neighborhood and said "there are a lot of stores with a lot of ideas but it doesn't look to me like any of them had the business sense first to see if they'd succeed here". He was talking about a funky Tailor shop nearby and a boutique etc....time will tell.

I do know, however, that if I live here and know what I like and love, my peers and friends live here and are of the same like mind....then we all have something to offer businesses if they figured it out properly....and I'd do that over any shopping mall. Period. I'm more tempted over an experience, local interactions, style, and a few more bucks than a shopping mall. We just bought accessories at the local camera shop because we wanted to support a local business. Some people think that way.

I don't have a bonnet, or a poodle, but when I go to the outskirts of Williamsburg and shop at Buffalo Exchange, or the second hand/new items stores that pop up in Williamsburg... they are making a killing...and their price point is not for the elite. They are merely a hipster second hand store.

And I'm pretty sure it's my brains got me my hard earned, well deserved, funds and therefore, I can most certainly choose to purchase a pair of jeans at any price because that is my right (but I'd much rather find a fantastic pair of second hand designer jeans and be excited by the 'find'). That is why a business plan is fantastic, it rules out people's prejudice and opinion and identifies the truth of what is really going on in a community through analysis and other factual not-emotional, methods.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have lived here 21 years and have seen every manner of business come and go. Some for being too expensive or too specialty and others for being mismanaged. It would be nice to have "nice" shops etc but it's all about value and services. I know people who ate at the HP Ale house every night when Maggie owned it. Why? Because it was relatively cheap and relatively good. If you want to "upscale" everything around here like restaurants and shops then you should be prepared to lose customers. There is a reason that the White Star is usually packed, it's cheap and relatively good. If you turned it into the Lighthorse you would lose tons of customers. Yes, you might go there once a month or every other month but not once or twice a week. People want coffee (Basic) and ice cream (Torico's). I wish Smith and Chang's well but how often would a resident buy something there if at all? Once a year? Expensive has it's place but it ain't here. How come there are so many pizza places around here and one struggling Steak-house? Nuff said.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yes, I can understand why someone would not want to eat at the Mall's Food Court. But have any of you looking for some decent food in a nice setting eaten at The South City Grille, Michael Anthonys (with the best restaurant view in the city,) or the steakhouses in either the Westin or the Double Tree?

Why not? Is 4 or 5 blocks too far to travel? Must a restaurant be on your block? If you take the PATH to work, then these restaurants are as close to you as a restaurant can be.

For those who want to buy gifts, does Macy's lack something that some cutesy local candle shop, or handmade soap shop has? (The Mall BTW DOES have a cutesy candle shop.)
Would you prefer to buy your Wranglers or Dockers at Ye Olde Jeans Shop at twice the price that SEARS, PENNEY'S, or KOHL'S charges? In fact if you work in Manhattan you can merrily buy your jeans for $200 on 14th Street around 11th Ave...a couple of ADORABLE shops for those with more money than brains.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 0:16

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017