Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
37 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 3 »


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#67
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You're lucky if you make my age, Pebble.

That really all depends... I'm relatively healthy. I exercise. I walk extensively. I keep my mind sharp... Sure, I guess cancer or some other ailment could kill me. I won't say that luck has anything to do with it though.

Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are imposing your view on others. I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input. Who are you to tell me what to believe?

Translation: She’s old and has lived here a long time. Therefore, she believes that everyone should be forced to follow her wishes, nothing should ever change and the entire city should accommodate her based purely on the fact that she lived here a long time.

If you want your definitely of self-absorbed attention whore? There it is!

Pebble - I disagree with many things Yvonne has to say, politically as well as socially (as I often disagreed with my father, who didn't live to be as old as Yvonne supposedly has...), but I think your comment in this last post was offensive and disrespectful.

Having dealt with Yvonne and her lies in person, no. She uses her age as a crux and claims all powerful knowledge by simply not dying. She runs to every meeting the town has, regardless of subject and regardless of location and target audience and plops herself in the first row. She has spent time shouting people down at these meetings and running off to grab reinforcements to further her need to shout over people, something I experienced first hand when trying to discuss something.

Look at her posts here. You'll see examples of her dishonesty and need to be at the forefront of pushing an agenda.

She lies about the origination of traffic because she doesn't want a single block of Newark Ave shutdown. Part of her claim there was that traffic near the court house was caused because pedestrian plaza existed.

She has lied numerous times about historical designation because she doesn't actually know the rules involved in it.

If you want to buy into her just being a concerned citizen, fine. I have seen her nastiness in action. Every single push she makes is to benefit her and her convenience. Not one item is for the benefit of the city or its residents.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 18:08
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#66
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/5/27 20:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 656
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.


That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.


Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.


Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999


The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.


Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.


Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.


Yvonne, I'm at a loss for words. There is a difference between saying an action is nuts vs calling a person a nut. There is a difference between imposing views on others and an opinion. It is not a personal attack if someone expresses an opinion that is different from your own. Reading comprehension is important!

It's also not a "fact" that a car is a "necessity" if you have a baby or aging family member that your are responsible for. There are tens of thousands in Jersey City that do it everyday. I can provide resources which cite the number of households in Jersey City without a car is approximately 40%. And that is a fact. Reading comprehension is key here, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _households_without_a_car

https://web.archive.org/web/2006031212 ... -lookup.php?state_select=*&lower_pop=50000&upper_pop=250000&sort_num=5&show_rows=25&first_row=0

It's literally cheaper for me to use Uber/Lyft everyday than it would be to pay the car payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance, parking, parking tickets, and expected value of accidents, etc. In my case, when I did the math, transit + Uber/Lyft + car rental when I needed to came up to a fraction of the cost of the

insurance component alone!




You are imposing your view on others. I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input. Who are you to tell me what to believe?


Stating an opinion and sharing my personal circumstances translates to imposing my views on others. Then, in the very same paragraph, you discount the views of all others who disagree with you on parking. Unbelievable! Your age or length of residency doesn't make you the voice more important than everyone else. Your voice is one of 262,000 in the city.

I once respected that we would have a difference of opinions but both loved Jersey City. I now see your truly colors. I hope our elected officials read this thread and can too see where your true interests lie when you open your mouth to speak on issues affecting the whole city.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:12
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#65
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 13:32
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 768
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are imposing your view on others. I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input. Who are you to tell me what to believe?

Translation: She’s old and has lived here a long time. Therefore, she believes that everyone should be forced to follow her wishes, nothing should ever change and the entire city should accommodate her based purely on the fact that she lived here a long time.

If you want your definitely of self-absorbed attention whore? There it is!

Pebble - I disagree with many things Yvonne has to say, politically as well as socially (as I often disagreed with my father, who didn't live to be as old as Yvonne supposedly has...), but I think your comment in this last post was offensive and disrespectful.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 13:48
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#64
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are imposing your view on others. I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input. Who are you to tell me what to believe?

Translation: She’s old and has lived here a long time. Therefore, she believes that everyone should be forced to follow her wishes, nothing should ever change and the entire city should accommodate her based purely on the fact that she lived here a long time.

If you want your definitely of self-absorbed attention whore? There it is!


You're lucky if you make my age, Pebble.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 13:40
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#63
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 17:43
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1884
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are imposing your view on others. I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input. Who are you to tell me what to believe?

Translation: She’s old and has lived here a long time. Therefore, she believes that everyone should be forced to follow her wishes, nothing should ever change and the entire city should accommodate her based purely on the fact that she lived here a long time.

If you want your definitely of self-absorbed attention whore? There it is!

Posted on: 2016/2/24 11:02
Dos A Cero
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#62
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 17:31
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 790
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.


That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.


Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.


Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999


The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.


Wait, there are people in JC making less than six figures?

Posted on: 2016/2/24 10:57
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#61
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 7:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1776
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.


That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.


Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.


Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999


The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.


Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.


Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.


Yvonne, I'm at a loss for words. There is a difference between saying an action is nuts vs calling a person a nut. There is a difference between imposing views on others and an opinion. It is not a personal attack if someone expresses an opinion that is different from your own. Reading comprehension is important!

It's also not a "fact" that a car is a "necessity" if you have a baby or aging family member that your are responsible for. There are tens of thousands in Jersey City that do it everyday. I can provide resources which cite the number of households in Jersey City without a car is approximately 40%. And that is a fact. Reading comprehension is key here, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _households_without_a_car

https://web.archive.org/web/2006031212 ... -lookup.php?state_select=*&lower_pop=50000&upper_pop=250000&sort_num=5&show_rows=25&first_row=0

It's literally cheaper for me to use Uber/Lyft everyday than it would be to pay the car payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance, parking, parking tickets, and expected value of accidents, etc. In my case, when I did the math, transit + Uber/Lyft + car rental when I needed to came up to a fraction of the cost of the

insurance component alone!




You are imposing your view on others.


Are you not imposing your view on others? Either you're contradicting yourself or your argument is nonsensical. Which one is it?

Quote:
I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input.


The only constant of cities is change itself. Congrats for being a long-term resident of JC. That doesn't mean your vote is worth more than anyone else's.

Using your logic, we'd never have abolished slavery because anyone who moved into a slave city-state would have to abide by the status quo. That's a terrible argument.

Quote:
Who are you to tell me what to believe?


Who told you what to believe?

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:45
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.


That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.


Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.


Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999


The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.


Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.


Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.


Yvonne, I'm at a loss for words. There is a difference between saying an action is nuts vs calling a person a nut. There is a difference between imposing views on others and an opinion. It is not a personal attack if someone expresses an opinion that is different from your own. Reading comprehension is important!

It's also not a "fact" that a car is a "necessity" if you have a baby or aging family member that your are responsible for. There are tens of thousands in Jersey City that do it everyday. I can provide resources which cite the number of households in Jersey City without a car is approximately 40%. And that is a fact. Reading comprehension is key here, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _households_without_a_car

https://web.archive.org/web/2006031212 ... -lookup.php?state_select=*&lower_pop=50000&upper_pop=250000&sort_num=5&show_rows=25&first_row=0

It's literally cheaper for me to use Uber/Lyft everyday than it would be to pay the car payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance, parking, parking tickets, and expected value of accidents, etc. In my case, when I did the math, transit + Uber/Lyft + car rental when I needed to came up to a fraction of the cost of the

insurance component alone!




You are imposing your view on others. I have live in Hudson County, especially JC longer than most people on this board have been alive. Why should we change to accommodate others? You moved into a city that had parking. Developers along with city hall changed the rules. These rules were changed without public input. Who are you to tell me what to believe?

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:03
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/14 9:36
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 417
Offline
I like elsquid's idea of raising the fee to park on the street.

How about working with zip car to expand the Hoboken Corner Cars program to JC?
http://www.zipcar.com/hobokencornercars


Posted on: 2016/2/23 9:52
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3224
Offline
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.


That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.


Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.


Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999


The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.


Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.


Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.


Yvonne, I'm at a loss for words. There is a difference between saying an action is nuts vs calling a person a nut. There is a difference between imposing views on others and an opinion. It is not a personal attack if someone expresses an opinion that is different from your own. Reading comprehension is important!

It's also not a "fact" that a car is a "necessity" if you have a baby or aging family member that your are responsible for. There are tens of thousands in Jersey City that do it everyday. I can provide resources which cite the number of households in Jersey City without a car is approximately 40%. And that is a fact. Reading comprehension is key here, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _households_without_a_car

https://web.archive.org/web/2006031212 ... -lookup.php?state_select=*&lower_pop=50000&upper_pop=250000&sort_num=5&show_rows=25&first_row=0

It's literally cheaper for me to use Uber/Lyft everyday than it would be to pay the car payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance, parking, parking tickets, and expected value of accidents, etc. In my case, when I did the math, transit + Uber/Lyft + car rental when I needed to came up to a fraction of the cost of the insurance component alone!



JCGuys, great links on the car-ownership statistics. Thank you for those. The JC percentage jives very closely with what was said by Councilwoman Osborne at the most recent meeting of my local neighborhood association. She quoted a slightly lower number (38%) and that seems reasonable for the DTJC. I have been to several lot in the DTJC area and I am always impressed by how empty they can be: requiring 50 Columbus to build a massive lot was certainly a mistake in hindsight. Even the lot at Grove Pointe is fairly empty. Heck, I have suburban friends that drive into JC and park there and then ride the PATH because space is essentially guaranteed and the rates are cheap (and, obviously, they are cheap because there is more supply than demand).

I am a car owner, and I agree that having all these lot is a mistake. There is way too much parking capacity in DTJC. It just that people don't want to pay for parking, and have absurd expectations of free parking everywhere they go, and right in front of their intended destination.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 9:28
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#57
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/5/27 20:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 656
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I believe there are more drivers with cars in JC than bikers.


That's probably true. Therefore it's a good thing that even if the parking were reduced from 163 to 123, there would be parking available for more than 75% of the units in the building. What's the household car ownership % for that neighborhood? I know it's 61% for all of Jersey City.


Where is the data on this? I know for a fact, downtown (Paulus Hook, Van Vorst, Hamilton Park, the Village, Harimus, etc do not have parking.


Downtown Parking:
http://en.parkopedia.com/parking/jers ... 18&lng=-74.04470029999999


The parking lots are charging extortion prices, no wonder people park on the streets. No person can afford this unless they make more than six figures. This is like the drug companies who manufacture pills. People cannot afford the medicine. I saw on tv, the medicine Hep C cost $100,000. Insurance companies refuse to pay, well this is just the same, the prices are not in most people's budget.


Personally, people who own cars in Jersey City are nuts. It's way too expensive and not worth it. Completely agree with Yvonne on this one.


Did anyone call you a nut? I find it amazing how people who want to impose their views on others, make personal attacks. In the real world of babies and aging family members that you are responsible for, a car is a necessity. Mayor Fulop is not responsible for taking care of an elderly relative or a child, so he does not have the context of understanding what the public needs.


Yvonne, I'm at a loss for words. There is a difference between saying an action is nuts vs calling a person a nut. There is a difference between imposing views on others and an opinion. It is not a personal attack if someone expresses an opinion that is different from your own. Reading comprehension is important!

It's also not a "fact" that a car is a "necessity" if you have a baby or aging family member that your are responsible for. There are tens of thousands in Jersey City that do it everyday. I can provide resources which cite the number of households in Jersey City without a car is approximately 40%. And that is a fact. Reading comprehension is key here, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _households_without_a_car

https://web.archive.org/web/2006031212 ... -lookup.php?state_select=*&lower_pop=50000&upper_pop=250000&sort_num=5&show_rows=25&first_row=0

It's literally cheaper for me to use Uber/Lyft everyday than it would be to pay the car payment, insurance, fuel, maintenance, parking, parking tickets, and expected value of accidents, etc. In my case, when I did the math, transit + Uber/Lyft + car rental when I needed to came up to a fraction of the cost of the insurance component alone!


Posted on: 2016/2/23 7:25
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/1/3 14:12
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2299
Offline
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

I recently heard that it is now estimated that only 38% of newcomers to DTJC are bringing cars. That 61% stat may be dropping faster than some may think, or want.


Where did that 38% figure come from?

It makes perfect sense, and it's exactly what's supposed to happen.

Less parking per capita leads to larger percentages of new arrivals choosing not to bring one, which furthers that trend. It can also lead to established residents giving up cars, as I did years ago when my last one croaked.

Yvonne isn't nuts to drive here. She needs a car for all the reasons she mentions.

And it seems intuitive to her and others that life behind the wheel will get easier (or get harder more slowly) if we add more parking.

But the truth is just the opposite. The more off-street PARKING space we add (an expandable capacity), the more people like me will own cars without really needing them. And when they drive, it will further diminish our DRIVING space—a finite capacity in a mature urban street grid.

Meanwhile, businesses and other institutions will remain tempted to sprawl out along highways and barren stretches of "arterial" roads reachable most easily by car, instead of nestling into each neighborhood in search of walking and biking customers. It's the latter pattern—actually the pattern on which this city was built, before the car—that we need to encourage, for everyone's sake, including drivers.

This is one of the ironies of the pro-parking lobby: They're cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They can make it marginally easier to park their cars, but only by making it harder to drive.


100% spot on.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 1:36
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/9 23:48
From Chilltop, Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 310
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Cars are necessary if you have a family.


That could be true. Fortunately, that building in Hamilton Park will have 123 parking spaces for families who need to have cars.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 0:09
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
I was up front, so I did not see her face but heard her statement.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:57
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/2/9 15:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 295
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
There is even crime downtown, but it doesn't make the paper.


is there a particular crime you're referring to, Yvonne?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:44
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/10 23:28
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Posts: 2911
Offline
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
If you live in a city, cars are a luxury. If you want extra real estate, you should pay for it.


Oh please, stop pretending you live in Manhattan. Jersey City is more akin to Queens where there are plenty of cars.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:40
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
JC is 2 miles away from the heart of NYC. Show me another other major developed city in the world that has as much space devoted to parking as downtown JC. ACME to TARGET to STAPLES to Newport Mall to Shoprite is one HUGE parking lot. And we need more? That's lunacy.

If people were lobbying for better use of existing space - I'd be a fan. If people lobbied for better senior transport service, I'd be a fan.

But MORE parking? GTFO!


I also like mass transit, but where is it? Should I be mugged waiting for a bus that comes once in an hour?


Mugged, what are you even talking about?


This is the inner city, are you saying there are no muggings? People do get mugged. A woman spoke about this at the Ward B Town Hall meeting. She had to walk home because it was very late. No bus and her purse was taken from her. There is even crime downtown, but it doesn't make the paper.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:16
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 316
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
JC is 2 miles away from the heart of NYC. Show me another other major developed city in the world that has as much space devoted to parking as downtown JC. ACME to TARGET to STAPLES to Newport Mall to Shoprite is one HUGE parking lot. And we need more? That's lunacy.

If people were lobbying for better use of existing space - I'd be a fan. If people lobbied for better senior transport service, I'd be a fan.

But MORE parking? GTFO!


I also like mass transit, but where is it? Should I be mugged waiting for a bus that comes once in an hour?


Mugged, what are you even talking about?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 22:04
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
JC is 2 miles away from the heart of NYC. Show me another other major developed city in the world that has as much space devoted to parking as downtown JC. ACME to TARGET to STAPLES to Newport Mall to Shoprite is one HUGE parking lot. And we need more? That's lunacy.

If people were lobbying for better use of existing space - I'd be a fan. If people lobbied for better senior transport service, I'd be a fan.

But MORE parking? GTFO!


Those are businesses, we are talking about families taking their children in cold weather to the doctor, or shopping with ten to 20 packages of groceries for the week. Live in the real world. I also like mass transit, but where is it? Should I be mugged waiting for a bus that comes once in an hour? I have a friend that is moving from Greenville because he has no way of getting home late at night.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:55
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#48
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2987
Offline
JC is 2 miles away from the heart of NYC. Show me another other major developed city in the world that has as much space devoted to parking as downtown JC. ACME to TARGET to STAPLES to Newport Mall to Shoprite is one HUGE parking lot. And we need more? That's lunacy.

If people were lobbying for better use of existing space - I'd be a fan. If people lobbied for better senior transport service, I'd be a fan.

But MORE parking? GTFO!

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:47
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 316
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Yvonne, sorry, but showing that cars are necessary for some is an argument for preserving some parking, which everybody here agrees with. It's not an argument for creating more.


Cars are necessary if you have a family.


That's your opinion, it is not a fact. There are plenty of families in the area that do not have a car, that is a fact. Stop making things up and lying/skewing things to try and make a point.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:26
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Yvonne, sorry, but showing that cars are necessary for some is an argument for preserving some parking, which everybody here agrees with. It's not an argument for creating more.


Luckily, the people in various town hall meetings agree with me and not the voices on this blog. Cars are necessary if you have a family.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:20
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2987
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I just left the caucus meeting, a county welfare employee spoke about a program, res. 16.105 in which the county will pay back fines for some individuals to make the car license whole again. These people are in some programs and need valid driver's license. The county position is - driving is important for people to obtain jobs and they are willing to help pay old fines which cost some people to lose their license. You must have a valid driver's license to work in the building trades. The county employee said a car is necessary for employment. You can watch the caucus meeting soon on Channel 96, Comcast or view it on the web. Yes, cars are necessary which brings the need for adequate parking.


What job advertises "must have valid parking permit/space" as a condition of employment?


I suggest you watch the caucus tape. I don't recall the young man's name, he works for the welfare section of the county and he is trying to place people in jobs that require driver's license. I do know from taping the re-entry program held in Sacred Heart Church, construction trades do require a valid driver's license.


And I suggest you look at ANY job ad. A high percentage of jobs require a valid drivers license. No jobs make parking a condition of employment.

Pebble called you a liar on another thread. I think you're honest. I don't think you're intelligent enough to lie, given the absurd inferences you make.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:18
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/10/7 11:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2425
Offline

JJ comment:
Quote:
It’s interesting how the redevelopment plans differ in Jersey City. There are developments up Journal Square that are getting approved with very little parking. I’m not talking about the major projects it’s the smaller ones popping up. A 130 unit building with 4 retail slots was recently approved with only 10 parking spots. I am assuming the thinking is that if you are living in Journal Square you don’t need a car you can walk to the Transportation Center. As it has always been up the Square with its many apartment buildings with no parking.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:10
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/4/22 0:43
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 394
Offline
Yvonne, sorry, but showing that cars are necessary for some is an argument for preserving some parking, which everybody here agrees with. It's not an argument for creating more.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:07
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I just left the caucus meeting, a county welfare employee spoke about a program, res. 16.105 in which the county will pay back fines for some individuals to make the car license whole again. These people are in some programs and need valid driver's license. The county position is - driving is important for people to obtain jobs and they are willing to help pay old fines which cost some people to lose their license. You must have a valid driver's license to work in the building trades. The county employee said a car is necessary for employment. You can watch the caucus meeting soon on Channel 96, Comcast or view it on the web. Yes, cars are necessary which brings the need for adequate parking.


What job advertises "must have valid parking permit/space" as a condition of employment?


I suggest you watch the caucus tape. I don't recall the young man's name, he works for the welfare section of the county and he is trying to place people in jobs that require driver's license. I do know from taping the re-entry program held in Sacred Heart Church, construction trades do require a valid driver's license.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 21:01
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2987
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I just left the caucus meeting, a county welfare employee spoke about a program, res. 16.105 in which the county will pay back fines for some individuals to make the car license whole again. These people are in some programs and need valid driver's license. The county position is - driving is important for people to obtain jobs and they are willing to help pay old fines which cost some people to lose their license. You must have a valid driver's license to work in the building trades. The county employee said a car is necessary for employment. You can watch the caucus meeting soon on Channel 96, Comcast or view it on the web. Yes, cars are necessary which brings the need for adequate parking.


What job advertises "must have valid parking permit/space" as a condition of employment?

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:41
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4111
Offline
I just left the caucus meeting, a county welfare employee spoke about a program, res. 16.105 in which the county will pay back fines for some individuals to make the car license whole again. These people are in some programs and need valid driver's license. The county position is - driving is important for people to obtain jobs and they are willing to help pay old fines which cost some people to lose their license. You must have a valid driver's license to work in the building trades. The county employee said a car is necessary for employment. You can watch the caucus meeting soon on Channel 96, Comcast or view it on the web. Yes, cars are necessary which brings the need for adequate parking.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 20:17
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/4/22 0:43
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 394
Offline
Sillyscorp, one way to make neighborhood parking available for those who actually need it is to stop giving away street parking for free. $15/yr is essentially free. Raise it to $50 a year, and signal that it will rise again in future, and some of those with suburban car hangovers will give up their cars, making room for you. That was my story in 1998: I had moved from the burbs and a car-centric job earlier, but it took a while to figure out that having a car was now silly.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 18:37
Print Top


Re: Parking garages/lots?
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/3/31 16:15
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 157
Offline
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I bought a condo that had parking because I am one of those horrible people who need a car for work but still enjoy living in jersey city and have no intention of going out to the suburbs (especially since my husband works in the city) and while its nice to show all those lots I have to say its not realistic to ask someone to pay $250 a month to park almost a mile away from their house.

Even in NYC which is obviously much less 'car friendly' there are garages on almost every single block so that you can park in decent proximity to your home.... I don't understand how a parking garage that is at the PATH station helps someone who lives at Monmouth and 9th

Even when I used to live at 4th & jersey and wanted to pay for parking there wasn't anything within reasonable "carrying a week worth of groceries and a baby in a car seat" distance which is why we had to move.


Why is it not realistic to pay $250 a month to park in the city?By the way, you can find lots for $125-150 per month less than a mile from downtown - which is more than reasonable for urban parking.

1. Living in a city
2. Having access to a car
3. Not paying for parking

Pick 2


I am totally fine with paying for parking (as is the OP and again I do - I bought a condo with a garage and my unit was much more than the same unit without a spot) but the thing is that its actually right here.

But if you have to use your car daily walking even half a mile every day to/from your car is not reasonable (because while many people work in NYC not everyone who lives in JC does... and judging by the crowd on the PATH every morning you should be thankful for that).... the comments about taking an UBER is fine for the occasional use people but some of us have to actually drive far places on the regular and we are still actual real live residents of JC too (and to be honest those people sort of get me too... I don't get why people maintain a car to just drive home to their parents on christmas once a year or something)

I do wish that there were more PAID parking options in the village or in harismus cove (and even in the heights) because it would have allowed us to have a lot more options since for me paying to park at the PATH and then walking 10-15 blocks home at all hours/weather is not reasonable.

My only comment is that in NYC there are more parking options - yes they are paid (which IMO is fine) but they are actually close and convenient to people's homes.

I am not fighting for free parking, or a spot for every unit or taking away bike lanes (I actually use a bike too at times but I can't bike to work in CT or PA depending on where I have to be that day) just options for all of the different people who make up JC.

Posted on: 2016/2/22 17:58
Print Top




(1) 2 3 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017