Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Healy's Tavern at 374 Newark Avenue is now open!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
not sure why ppl are assuming it happened so fast. They were working on it like crazy last summer.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Well, back to the subject at hand, you know, the bar.

Stopped in last night around 7:30 for a couple.

Much nicer on the inside. Nice brick wall in the back. Felt surprisingly bigger/spacious on the inside than I expected from
the look of the building.

Long horseshoe bar - no table.

Had a nice crowd, 40ish people. Mixed ages. The younger people looked more of the preppy or white collar than hipsters.

Our Holiness, The Mayor, showed up around 8 and took a bar stool. A few people shook his hand but he was pretty low key.

Owners/bartenders were very nice and introduced themselves to everyone.

All in all I think it's a plus to the neighborhood if it succeeds and I consider it a +1 place to consider when going out for a drink.

I was the guy who creepily peered in the windows at a couple of different locations just before 8. I can confirm that the above description seems accurate to me. I liked the wood floor, the little potted plants around the walls, and the fact that the front walls are glass, which could make the place a little cheerier on dark winter days, though they had blinds or curtains blocking the summer gray glare last night.

I think I even spotted His Mayorness rocking a blazer and holding forth, whereupon I fled like a prowler.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Well, back to the subject at hand, you know, the bar.

Stopped in last night around 7:30 for a couple.

Much nicer on the inside. Nice brick wall in the back. Felt surprisingly bigger/spacious on the inside than I expected from
the look of the building.

Long horseshoe bar - no table.

Had a nice crowd, 40ish people. Mixed ages. The younger people looked more of the preppy or white collar than hipsters.

Only 4 beers on tap, unless there was another tap station i didn't see - Guinness, Yuengling, Blue Moon and I think Coors Light.

They had food. Only like 7 items and said they hope to expand it. Typical bar fare - hamburger, cheesesteak, wings, chicken fingers, nothing really for vegans.
My friend got a cheeseburger. More like a smaller one that comes off your backyard grill than something special, like White Star's. But cheaper so the price matched and it was tasty enough, and they had good steak fries.

Our Holiness, The Mayor, showed up around 8 and took a bar stool. A few people shook his hand but he was pretty low key.

Owners/bartenders were very nice and introduced themselves to everyone.

All in all I think it's a plus to the neighborhood if it succeeds and I consider it a +1 place to consider when going out for a drink.

I think an issue for people is, given what OX and Atomic Wings had to go thru, and during the time of corruption, at least the one that made the papers, people are naturally suspicious of them getting things green lighted quicker than other businesses. One could counter argue that the actual new construction of Ox and AW is what the hold up/corruption was and once it was zoned is why Box and Bon Bon were able to open quicker than its predecessors. This place would fall into that category. It's all speculation. Who knows. Healy brought this on himself by surrounding himself with those people.
If you don't go this bar only because of him that's your prerogative. And given what he's put this city thru I don't think many would begrudge you. I won't go the the fake co-op in Hamilton Park. It's not gonna make or break them but you can go to bed feeling better you stuck your guns.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/6/23 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Peeked in. Looks OK inside, clean but not fancy. People hanging, watching ballgames.

It occurred to me that there are lots of gritty little businesses right around there, auto body, contractors, etc., plus the big firehouse across the avenue, so they could get the working man after work.

And if the food's lacking, I guess they could grab some pulled pork at BBQ @ Legal Beans just across little Division Street.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone else notice that this was the first entry from the Yelp reviewer? Healy probably had to dig deep into the folks in his administration to find someone who could write something this grammatically correct, but I'm guessing it was not crafted by an old-time Jersey City resident who frequents "regular" bars. To quote the review "you can check your tofu and mineral water at the door. Instead, pull up a chair, have a beer and a burger, and watch the game or B.S. with the friendly staff." Yep, this was written by a neighborhood regular guy.

And snakes have hips.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
It's the dive on the triangle of Newark Ave - noisy drunks all night long, garbage everywhere and yes it is owned by the Mayor's son who was arrested a month ago in Hoboken for domestic violence beating up his girlfriend/wife. Can't wait to visit the joint to see all the new renovations - can't be any worse than the previous bars that were there. A real slum pit.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
The one reviewer on Yelp describes it as an old-fashioned Hudson County type of place, and loves it, though I note for the record that this is the only review on Yelp by this reviewer.

Yelp review

From that review:

"If you're looking for a sushi roll or a goat cheese walnut salad, you're in the wrong place; this is a bar, not a caf? trying to be a bar or a bar trying to be a caf? - just a bar, so you can check your tofu and mineral water at the door."

Sounds like HCDO cronies and mooks central.

This place actually sounds awesome.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
The one reviewer on Yelp describes it as an old-fashioned Hudson County type of place, and loves it, though I note for the record that this is the only review on Yelp by this reviewer.

Yelp review

From that review:

"If you're looking for a sushi roll or a goat cheese walnut salad, you're in the wrong place; this is a bar, not a caf? trying to be a bar or a bar trying to be a caf? - just a bar, so you can check your tofu and mineral water at the door."

Sounds like HCDO cronies and mooks central.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Yelp review

Posted on: 2011/6/22 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live very near here, and whatever the politics, the bar is on sort of a barren little patch away from most residences, an odd little area that could stand a little life at night.

I don't know how much of a demand there will be for it. The Lamp Post is very close by if you want a basic bar; hopefully, they plan to stand out in some way.

Maybe they will get some city government types, a few from the Village and maybe the Island just up the hill, and some cops. I could see a few Hudson County types strumbling down from the courthouse area.

The place is very visible when driving down Newark Avenue, and there are bus stops right there.

If they all behave themselves it could be OK. If they don't, I have a feeling the Healys have enough enemies that it won't go unnoticed.

Guess we'll find out. I'll be quaffing a brew there soon.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 19:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
PAT & JERRY
CONGRATS & LOTS OF LUCK
WITH THE HEALY TAVERN

Posted on: 2011/6/22 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm confused, is this bar actually owned by Mayor Healy?

No. His son.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm confused, is this bar actually owned by Mayor Healy?

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It gets good at :28. What the Healys will bring to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Yeah, I see how bars and restaurants ruined Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Who are these people who think a bar is "good for the area"? What is good? The loud walking drunks or the ones slipping drunkenly behind the wheel of their cars? I mean really? Good for the area? You do comprehend the kind of sh*t these guys are going to try and get away with in the area?

Jersey City is not NYC or Brooklyn. JC is more on par with Flushing, Queens. We are a little more urban than Lyndhurst. This bar will become a club for people who don't live in the area and who feel entitled because they have City Hall connections. Cue the screeching tires, broken beer bottles and general mayhem that places like Belmar ooze. These people will have no problem sh*tting where they eat. Drunken, transient customers is NEVER good for any area.

An Irish dive bar at that location will fail. The JC record on failing Irish bars is very long, and that is one of the worst places imaginable to open an Irish bar. I can't remember the name of the one on Newark between Monmouth and Bruswick - but that failed within months of being totally refurbished. If the Healys turned it into a Latino bar then it might have a chance of success.

They're going to have to do something special to make it a success, and if they do, kudos to them.

On the noise issue, you've may not have travelled much west of Hamilton Park. At that intersection, there are freight trains that pass by all hours of the night and day within a few feet. If there's anywhere in JC that bar noise isn't an issue, it's that location.

I agree 100% with Grovepath on this one.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
The point you took exception to was that Jersey City's "urbanness" is on a par with Flushing's. Not which one is closer to Manhattan or Wall Street. What do Chicago, Beijing, Mexico City and London all have in common? All are "more urban" than Jersey City yet - imagine! - they are further from Manhattan than we are!! Staten Island is "closer to Manhattan" than Flushing, too.

Flushing also has a major league baseball team. How many indoor go-kart tracks and dodgeball events does it take to equal one major league baseball team???

Posted on: 2011/6/18 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Have you noticed all the people from Manhattan moving into Downtown Jersey City? That is what location means.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I have been to Flushing many times and it is damn near in Long Island -- Downtown Jersey City is only 5 minutes to Wall Street or the West Village. That 7 train goes on forever....

What does distance from Manhattan have to do with anything - or the 7 train? In terms of activity levels, development, commerce - that's a pretty apt comparison. Flushing probably has a bit more commercial activity but Jersey City is bigger in terms of population (Flushing is about 175,000.)

According to Wikipedia: Flushing is one of the largest and most diverse neighborhoods in New York City, reflected by the numerous ethnic groups that reside there, including people of Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, European, and African American ancestry, as well as Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Sephardi, and Bukhari Jewish communities. The intersection of Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue is the third busiest intersection in New York City behind only Times Square and Herald Square.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I have been to Flushing many times and it is damn near in Long Island -- Downtown Jersey City is only 5 minutes to Wall Street or the West Village. That 7 train goes on forever....

What does distance from Manhattan have to do with anything - or the 7 train? In terms of activity levels, development, commerce - that's a pretty apt comparison. Flushing probably has a bit more commercial activity but Jersey City is bigger in terms of population (Flushing is about 175,000.)

According to Wikipedia: Flushing is one of the largest and most diverse neighborhoods in New York City, reflected by the numerous ethnic groups that reside there, including people of Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, European, and African American ancestry, as well as Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Sephardi, and Bukhari Jewish communities. The intersection of Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue is the third busiest intersection in New York City behind only Times Square and Herald Square.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I wonder if they had to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to appease the building department like the now shuttered Ox restaurant or Atomic Wings.

I wonder if they will get to stay open till 4AM, like the Music Box Cafe that is owned by a JC cop.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/6/17 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Come on, Flushing, Queens!?!
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2011/6/17 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Who are these people who think a bar is "good for the area"? What is good? The loud walking drunks or the ones slipping drunkenly behind the wheel of their cars? I mean really? Good for the area? You do comprehend the kind of sh*t these guys are going to try and get away with in the area?

Jersey City is not NYC or Brooklyn. JC is more on par with Flushing, Queens. We are a little more urban than Lyndhurst. This bar will become a club for people who don't live in the area and who feel entitled because they have City Hall connections. Cue the screeching tires, broken beer bottles and general mayhem that places like Belmar ooze. These people will have no problem sh*tting where they eat. Drunken, transient customers is NEVER good for any area.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

also, its not as if theres a ton of beuatiful houses and parks in that area. its an eyesore that people pass through as quickly as possible. i say any business at all is better than a series of empty lots and garbage.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2011/6/17 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/6/17 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
Granted. But, something tells me the Healys didn't have to jump through the hoops all other businesses have to. I bet their opening date hasn't been delayed numerous times (like Barcade, for instance) because of city red tape. Most small businesses can't survive months of delays and rebuilds. I walked by Healy's a month or two ago and the inside was nowhere near complete. I am surprised how quickly they are opening.

Perhaps -- but it was an up and running bar already.

In any event is it good for the area -- I hope they do well.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
There are very few businesses nearby that have withstood the test of time: Madame Claudes, Pecoraro Bakery, Latin Lounge, Abbeys are survivors. There is a much longer list of failures. In the American spirit of free enterprise, I wish the Healys the best. They have their work cut out.

Granted. But, something tells me the Healys didn't have to jump through the hoops all other businesses have to. I bet their opening date hasn't been delayed numerous times (like Barcade, for instance) because of city red tape. Most small businesses can't survive months of delays and rebuilds. I walked by Healy's a month or two ago and the inside was nowhere near complete. I am surprised how quickly they are opening.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
First I'll say I'm not a fan of Healy policies and actions as mayor of JC. However, as a downtown JC resident, I cut him and his family a bit of a break on this business venture. They're sinking their money into a business venture that if successful, benefits everyone in the area. I also didn't think it was Jerry's bar but that of his son or nephew.

However, it's going to be tough to turn around what was a dive bar, in a poor location, into a bar that makes a real profit. A cookie-cutter plastic-paddy bar won't cut it there. There simply aren't the demographics, transport links, nor interest. (The bar is also inside the Spectra gas pipeline primary blast radius.)

There are very few businesses nearby that have withstood the test of time: Madame Claudes, Pecoraro Bakery, Latin Lounge, Abbeys are survivors. There is a much longer list of failures. In the American spirit of free enterprise, I wish the Healys the best. They have their work cut out.

Posted on: 2011/6/16 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Nice to see the Healy family start to realize a return on the hundreds of thousands they've "invested" in alcohol over the years. A true American success story!

Posted on: 2011/6/16 20:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017