Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: La Conguita in Times
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Had a really great experience there yesterday. roast pork sandwich and "Mexican Sandwich" with steak were both tastey. the waitress with the short black hair at the counter was really helpful and anticipated a lot of things which i think makes for great service.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't found a better Cuban sandwich anywhere.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Shredded Pork,black beans,rice and plantains are the best this side of bergenline ave in union city.I get a craving for this dish that is scary.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thursday at lunch is the time to go - the Ox Tail is heaven.

Yeah - agree that this is not fast food, it's got a rhythym of it's own, you just gotta relax.

The staff is always great, even if the food sometimes seems a tad slow.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Always a great experience at La Conguita
As Alton Brown would say: Good Eats!

Quote:

DanL wrote:
We go to Conquita for breakfast, lunch and dinner periodically with / without young children. Always good food, good service ? consistent.

Lunch can be crowded and service is leisurely. For those who experience waiting to be acknowledged or to be brought menus, keep in mind that the waiters/waitresses work the counter and seem to complete what they are doing before moving to the next customer, be it, pressing toast or sandwiches, making coffee or fruit shakes etc.

Conguita is not fast food!

Certainly one of the neighborhood?s assets!

Posted on: 2007/7/12 18:12
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We go to Conquita for breakfast, lunch and dinner periodically with / without young children. Always good food, good service ? consistent.

Lunch can be crowded and service is leisurely. For those who experience waiting to be acknowledged or to be brought menus, keep in mind that the waiters/waitresses work the counter and seem to complete what they are doing before moving to the next customer, be it, pressing toast or sandwiches, making coffee or fruit shakes etc.

Conguita is not fast food!

Certainly one of the neighborhood?s assets!

Posted on: 2007/7/12 17:19

Re: La Conguita

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/11/5 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
The parking is behind the restaurant, entrance on Bay Street. I haven't used it but apparently the "attendant" (a gaucho-looking dude in a cowboy hat sitting in the shade of a tree) gives you a ticket and the waitress signs off on it when you settle your check.

Went a couple of days ago with the one-year old. We sat in the extra room and felt a bit overlooked but we both very much enjoyed the pernil asado. The rice and beans were just average and the mango shake wasn't quite as fruity as I would have liked, but overall we both gobbled up our food with glee.The waitress warmed up to us after seeing the kid beaming back at her with rice and beans all over her.

I've had cheaper grub at the Dominican at the corner of Grove and Wayne but they are tiny and a bit grungy. For those with wheels, I'd encourage folks to try the Rumba Cafe in the Heights on Central and North. (They too have a parking lot behind the restaurant on North) The servers are very nice and the food is good and cheap!

Posted on: 2007/6/1 22:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
We love it there, we haven't been there in a couple of weeks. My only gripe is that they close early on Sundays, about 6:30pm - 7pm.

Last year for my birthday my mom was going to make roast pork, rice and beans etc... for the family and ended up breaking her wrist, so I ordered dinner for 10 people from them, it was either $40 or $50 (and I'm thinking it was closer to $40) and they gave us a ton of food, easily fed another 10 people. I wouldn?t hesitate to order catering from them again. They won't make yuca for less than 20 though :(

Posted on: 2006/12/11 16:58
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 12:23
Group:
Banned
Had a great meal last night at La Conguita with the missus. We had two bowls of garlic soup, a large avocado salad, roast chicken, rice, beans and plantains, a bottle of Spanish red wine, rice pudding, flan and two espressos for only $34.

Incredible!!!

Posted on: 2006/12/10 6:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I get a jones for their shredded pork with rice and black beans with fried plantins once a month.

I like that the place is spotless as apposed to the place on the corner of grove across from ibbys which has very good food also but is very funky.

I know i'm a walking heart attack but i sometimes eat the above dish in the morning bacause i crave the salt i think.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The service has improved dramatically the few years, since renovation. Friendly, accomodating ..... one of the "gems" of downtown JC.

Other than sometimes asking for an extra shot of espresso in the cafe con leche, no gripes what so ever.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 12:53

La Conguita in Times
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
article

First off, where's the free parking? And I think Ms. Feeney forgot to add in regards to the long lunch lines the reason: the waitress can't seem to pull herself away from her cell. Seriously, anyone been there recently? I haven't been there for several years because of the service.

December 3, 2006
New Jersey
No-Frills Cuban Fare, and Cheer
By KELLY FEENEY

If the Latin music at La Conguita, a casual Cuban restaurant-cum-diner in Jersey City, doesn?t put you in an upbeat mood, then the comfort food will. The atmosphere is casual and fun ? plastic cups and colorful murals ? and the menu is inexpensive. The cafe con leche, strong coffee with steamed milk, ($1) will wake you up in the morning. The breakfast sandwich of egg, chorizo and cheese ($3.50) is easy to eat on the go.

At lunchtime, there is a long line for the Cuban sandwich, with layers of moist pork, ham, Swiss cheese and pickles on crusty bread that is airy inside ($3.50). A bowl of garlic soup is the perfect accompaniment ($4). Or try the octopus salad ($6 for a small serving) or a side of empanadas or ham croquettes ($1 each).

Generously sized entrees include the classic ropa vieja, or shredded beef in tomato sauce, for $8.50. The garlic chicken ($6.95) is straightforward and good. All entrees are served with rice, beans and plantains. Specials change daily.

The Gonzalez family opened La Conguita in 1980 with eight tables and six counter seats. After a renovation three years ago, there are now 75 seats. Service can be hit or miss, but the food is worth the wait; free parking.

La Conguita, 351 Grove Street, Jersey City; (201) 435-6770.

KELLY FEENEY

Posted on: 2006/12/3 10:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017