Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 27 »

Embankment Coalition Board Members Harsimus Branch to Meet February 8th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/3/2 18:39
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Three Embankment Preservation Coalition board members will describe the rich history of the Pennsylvania Railroad Harsimus Branch and the Coalition?s vision for its future at a presentation in Jersey City Heights on Wednesday, February 8, beginning at 7:30 pm.

http://riverviewobserver.net/2017/02/ ... mus-branch-to-meet-10188/

Posted on: 2017/2/7 16:24

Re: Embankment- Update Thread
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

thor800 wrote:

The lawsuit against ratner is being brought by someone with absolutely no ties to the area nor claims against property and the property has no opportunities for preservation.

That is, where Hyman actually holds title to the Embankment, regardless of just how he got it, this other guy doesn't hold title to the Metro Plaza property. Rather, he's claiming he should be given the opportunity to buy the land because he intends to build a freight line. He's done this sort of thing elsewhere.

Well, if the city claims it is building a railroad why can't someone say the same thing?

Posted on: 2016/9/21 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:

The lawsuit against ratner is being brought by someone with absolutely no ties to the area nor claims against property and the property has no opportunities for preservation.

That is, where Hyman actually holds title to the Embankment, regardless of just how he got it, this other guy doesn't hold title to the Metro Plaza property. Rather, he's claiming he should be given the opportunity to buy the land because he intends to build a freight line. He's done this sort of thing elsewhere.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A little background, former Mayor Schundler wanted Conrail to sell the property to a person doing affordable housing. The community did not want affordable housing. For this action to be based on the so-called fact that it was not being properly abandoned, is pure baloney. What was happening was not a secret. For the community to be upset for Schundler not security the property is one thing but to say it was not offered to the city is another. He was aware and wanted development there for his guy for affordable housing. Another person grabbed this property and now the city is lying about this property being a rail spur. It is a rail spur to nowhere.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at the council meeting when the city said this will be a rail spur. A spur means trains will be on the line. It does not mean people will walk on the area. All of the connections to the line are torn down. The city lied, that is the point. Perhaps they will lie on another project to take your property next.

Either you have Alzheimer or are being deliberately forgetful. A major event in this whole long drama was when the city unveiled a plan for a linear walking park sharing the embankment with light rail. I can picture someday climbing up to a train at Jersey and 6th, and taking it to visit the future Trader Joes at 15th St in Hoboken, when they redevelop that area and add a new HBLR stop there. That will never happen if it's torn down.

The difference between you and me, Brewster, I state my facts without name calling. Now let me give you some facts. Since other parts of the Conrail line has been torn down or have development there such as Bruce Ratner property where would this rail go? Where is the money for this rail spur? It is not coming from the state, fed or even local taxpayers. To put it mildly, JC cannot pay for terminal leave without bonding. Since there is no connection, the city lied about a rail spur, the exact term which was used by Corporation Council Jeremy Farrell when the city council passed the ordinance. The term was rail spur not railbanking because this rail line is going no where. Now this brings me to my second point. If Conrail did not abandon the property correctly then Bruce Ratner's property is also not correctly abandon. So the lawsuit against Ratner should go ahead. But it is not just Ratner, Conrail had other connecting lines in JC that developed. I actually have a map of those lines so much of downtown JC was not in compliance and the people who own those properties now have problems. This opens up questions on many properties in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I actually have a map of those lines so much of downtown JC was not in compliance and the people who own those properties now have problems. This opens up questions on many properties in downtown JC.

Ah yes, the "bad things happened so why stop them now" defense. And not having money for rail right now does not mean it can never happen.

BTW I did not call you a name, I suggested you might have an illness that befalls many elderly. I wonder about myself at times.

When you cannot prove your facts, you throw personal insults. Sad you stoop so low. I was at the council meeting, the city said a rail spur and nothing else. Facts are facts.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I actually have a map of those lines so much of downtown JC was not in compliance and the people who own those properties now have problems. This opens up questions on many properties in downtown JC.

Ah yes, the "bad things happened so why stop them now" defense. And not having money for rail right now does not mean it can never happen.

BTW I did not call you a name, I suggested you might have an illness that befalls many elderly. I wonder about myself at times.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at the council meeting when the city said this will be a rail spur. A spur means trains will be on the line. It does not mean people will walk on the area. All of the connections to the line are torn down. The city lied, that is the point. Perhaps they will lie on another project to take your property next.

Either you have Alzheimer or are being deliberately forgetful. A major event in this whole long drama was when the city unveiled a plan for a linear walking park sharing the embankment with light rail. I can picture someday climbing up to a train at Jersey and 6th, and taking it to visit the future Trader Joes at 15th St in Hoboken, when they redevelop that area and add a new HBLR stop there. That will never happen if it's torn down.

The difference between you and me, Brewster, I state my facts without name calling. Now let me give you some facts. Since other parts of the Conrail line has been torn down or have development there such as Bruce Ratner property where would this rail go? Where is the money for this rail spur? It is not coming from the state, fed or even local taxpayers. To put it mildly, JC cannot pay for terminal leave without bonding. Since there is no connection, the city lied about a rail spur, the exact term which was used by Corporation Council Jeremy Farrell when the city council passed the ordinance. The term was rail spur not railbanking because this rail line is going no where. Now this brings me to my second point. If Conrail did not abandon the property correctly then Bruce Ratner's property is also not correctly abandon. So the lawsuit against Ratner should go ahead. But it is not just Ratner, Conrail had other connecting lines in JC that developed. I actually have a map of those lines so much of downtown JC was not in compliance and the people who own those properties now have problems. This opens up questions on many properties in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/9/20 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
You've obviously never heard of railbanking.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/9/19 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Just read the letter "Historically sensitive adaptive reuse of the Harsimus Branch will serve multiple 21st-century public uses in a growing city, including rail, trail, and open space." I cannot walk on the PATH rail lines and neither can anyone walk on a rail line that is being considered for trail and open space. I guess the wording of "rail" was to cover the administration who took the property as a rail spur, to cover up the lie.

You've obviously never heard of railbanking.

Posted on: 2016/9/19 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just read the letter "Historically sensitive adaptive reuse of the Harsimus Branch will serve multiple 21st-century public uses in a growing city, including rail, trail, and open space." I cannot walk on the PATH rail lines and neither can anyone walk on a rail line that is being considered for trail and open space. I guess the wording of "rail" was to cover the administration who took the property as a rail spur, to cover up the lie.

Posted on: 2016/9/19 14:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/6 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
Coalition Requests Your Support for Online Comment to STB

The Surface Transportation Board (STB) is currently considering the future of the 150-year-old Harsimus Branch rail corridor and its historic massive stone Embankment on 6th Street, Jersey City.

Hundreds of residents have already signed comments for the Board. Now we are making it easier to do so by putting a comment online.

Even if you have already signed a paper petition, you can sign this one as well. The comment is different from those on the paper petitions previously circulated.

To sign, please click: http://chn.ge/2cQJTU5

Save a Historic Railway for Our City?s Public Use! Do Not Tear Down for Private Gain!

Posted on: 2016/9/19 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
it's time for jersey city and new jersey to start thinking outside the box, shed the walmart mentality. jc is located next to one of the world's greatest cities and it could be so much more.

developers in manhattan are spending $150 million on the stairs to nowhere.

Resized Image

A $150 Million Stairway to Nowhere on the Far West Side

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/art ... n=Trending&pgtype=article

Posted on: 2016/9/14 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have no problem with the feds investing Conrail, but they cannot stop there. The idea this government is saying the embankment will be a spur rail line, is a lie. The idea they are allowing development and giving tax abatements on other parts of the rail line smells of corruption. There are many Biblical references about doing evil and expecting good. This applies here.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It was abandon in the same process because Conrail owned that property too. Why give a tax abatement if a property was illegally abandon? When young men were teens during the 1960s. The railroad hired them to clear the rails during snowstorm when school was closed. Those teens walked the length of the line including where this development is located. My point is - it is part of the same rail line. This process smells, from city hall stating falsely the that this will be a rail spur in order to take the property to granting a tax abatement on another piece of the rail line. Honestly, the feds should investigate JC over the embankment.

The Feds should investigate Conrail for not properly disposing of their properties.

Whoever gave the property to developers at the Metro Plaza site would have more of an issue than the city being accountable because they willingly passed on "possession" and it was not actually a line of rail.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It was abandon in the same process because Conrail owned that property too. Why give a tax abatement if a property was illegally abandon? When young men were teens during the 1960s. The railroad hired them to clear the rails during snowstorm when school was closed. Those teens walked the length of the line including where this development is located. My point is - it is part of the same rail line. This process smells, from city hall stating falsely the that this will be a rail spur in order to take the property to granting a tax abatement on another piece of the rail line. Honestly, the feds should investigate JC over the embankment.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing was taken at the Metro Plaza site.

You can argue similar circumstances but the city isnt making a claim against this property and was not illegally sold to a developer therefore no issue.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So now we have a developer being sue because their property was taken similar to the 6th street embankment. Why is the 6th St seizure OK but not the property near the 6th St? I have said this before, the railroad line was abandon in the same fashion. We are taking someone's property while allowing development on the rail line to continue.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... e.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2016/9/13 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I appreciate your high horse... but everything that is taking place is within the context of the law. Hyman also had a responsibility to ensure the sale was legit; he didnt and neither did conrail, leaving tons of exposure. Hence where we are.

I don't particularly care if the city has to call the property 'Bob' to be able to take it back. I also don't care what any previous mayor did or did not do... I care about what we can do now. You may not like it, but everything that is being executed is within context and privileged of law. Is Hyman getting effed? Maybe, but he also got a sweetheart deal that was really too good to be true... all the more reason he should have put more effort to make sure the deal was executed correctly.

I agree with Dan (at least what I believe he is saying). The people of JC didn't have a fair chance to acquire the property and I appreciate everyone who is trying to correct this.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
Why do you keep ignoring this?

"conrail did not properly abandon the property and conrail should not have sold it"

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I don't agree Dan. while I respect you, this is wrong. It is a lie to say this is a rail spur. Just because Hyman is a developer/speculator does not mean it is right. Today it is his property tomorrow it is your property or mine property.

And why do you keep ignoring the lie to create a park by calling it a rail spur? Why is lying greater than what Conrail did? And I repeat, Schundler was aware of what was going on. In fact, the members of the Embankment group called Schundler out for this fact. Schundler knew this property was available. Nothing Conrail did was a secret.

Sorry, I do not agree. I have never been a supporter of developers, so I do find this somewhat awkward. But I cannot condone the lie. The public is not privy to the full negotiations. Occasionally, Hyman speaks at council meetings and he has said he is willing to negotiate. Why isn't this information made public?

When literally everyone commenting here is telling you that you don't know what you are talking about shouldn't that be a sign that maybe you are the one that is wrong? If not you are really dense, ignorant or just a troll.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Just because you don't understand how former railroad rights of way are handled does not mean that it is a lie. It was not formally abandoned and therefore remains a railroad right of way. Federal law also anticipates rail banking, where such railroad rights of way are used as open space and trails, but can revert back to rail use.

I am unaware of any railbanked corridor that has, in fact, reverted back to rail use. That's because railroads are expensive to build and maintain, and we don't have enough funding and support for mass transit systems. However, that doesn't mean that, in the future, they won't be reactivated.

With respect to the Embankment itself, there in fact has been some talk of it as use as a rail corridor. The Bergen Arches study envisioned it as a possible transportation corridor. Mayor Healy originally felt extending HBLRT was a better use than the park, although he eventually gave that fight up.

Will we eventually see a light rail from the waterfront over the Embankment, through the Bergen Arches, across the Hackensack river out to the Meadowlands, as was proposed not long ago? I am guessing not. But if the Embankment is railbanked, there has been much more serious talk about restoring service there than there has been on many other rail trails that have the designation.

And, if the Embankment becomes a park or a trail, and later the city and NJT decide that they want to commit the resources to doing that, then the EPC and park advocates could not say that their park was being unfairly taken away. Why? Because it did, in fact, remain a rail line, even if a dormant one.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I appreciate your high horse... but everything that is taking place is within the context of the law. Hyman also had a responsibility to ensure the sale was legit; he didnt and neither did conrail, leaving tons of exposure. Hence where we are.

I don't particularly care if the city has to call the property 'Bob' to be able to take it back. I also don't care what any previous mayor did or did not do... I care about what we can do now. You may not like it, but everything that is being executed is within context and privileged of law. Is Hyman getting effed? Maybe, but he also got a sweetheart deal that was really too good to be true... all the more reason he should have put more effort to make sure the deal was executed correctly.

I agree with Dan (at least what I believe he is saying). The people of JC didn't have a fair chance to acquire the property and I appreciate everyone who is trying to correct this.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

"conrail did not properly abandon the property and conrail should not have sold it"

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I don't agree Dan. while I respect you, this is wrong. It is a lie to say this is a rail spur. Just because Hyman is a developer/speculator does not mean it is right. Today it is his property tomorrow it is your property or mine property.

And why do you keep ignoring the lie to create a park by calling it a rail spur? Why is lying greater than what Conrail did? And I repeat, Schundler was aware of what was going on. In fact, the members of the Embankment group called Schundler out for this fact. Schundler knew this property was available. Nothing Conrail did was a secret.

Sorry, I do not agree. I have never been a supporter of developers, so I do find this somewhat awkward. But I cannot condone the lie. The public is not privy to the full negotiations. Occasionally, Hyman speaks at council meetings and he has said he is willing to negotiate. Why isn't this information made public?

Posted on: 2016/4/15 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/15 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/15 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/4/15 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/15 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It is one thing for a crook to do this but this is government.

Like there is a difference between the two.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Amen.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
please stop it yvonne. effectively you are advocating for an out of town property speculator. no one is stealing his property. the city and public advocates have proven that conrail did not properly abandon the property and conrail should not have sold it.

Mr. Hyman may have an action against conrail, but not jersey city. It looks like he may have been paying conrail's taxes all these years and may have to recover from them. Mr. Hyman might have been aware of the situation since he was the only bidder for the property.

What has been disappointing and sad is that in pursing his remedies, he has pursued the city AND city workers as individuals AND private citizens that had advocated on behalf of the the city retaining the property as individuals. These can be referred to as SLAPP suits. By doing this, I can't see how anyone including you could defend him in anyway. There have been times that you have advocated for things, that those disagreeing with you could have sued you regardless of merit and put your home and assets at risk because that is what he has done.

JPhurst sums up the situation well here -

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=400467

and here -

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=400519

while you have done some wonderful things by documenting and archiving public meetings and proceedings, this really hurts, because whether you agree on not with the city's policy pursing this, our neighbors are victims of Mr. Hyman.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 14:08

(1) 2 3 4 ... 27 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017