Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JCBOE - who are you voting for and why?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/11/9 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Sure, Brewster, I feel for the buggy whip makers too!
Yes! Exactly right! The True American longs for the days when women and minorities knew their place, and horseshit was real horseshit.

Posted on: 2018/11/7 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sure, Brewster, I feel for the buggy whip makers too!

Posted on: 2018/11/6 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Excellent move bringing school board vote to November.

That's so harsh, won't you think of the poor poll workers put out on the streets who were depending on that election to feed their children?

Posted on: 2018/11/6 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great turnout for School Board vote today. Lines snaking around the corridors in PS 3. Excellent move bringing school board vote to November.

Posted on: 2018/11/6 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Is it clear whether she's an old school fiscal conservative style Republican or a Trumpism Republican? I knew of the affiliation going in and still voted for her anyway.

I think if she held such vile views and had the same thought process as Yvonne, that it would have come out much earlier and sunk her candidacy. She's also an immigrant herself, I believe.

Really, nicky, get a life. You have serious problems thinking about me all the time.

Posted on: 2018/11/6 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Is it clear whether she's an old school fiscal conservative style Republican or a Trumpism Republican? I knew of the affiliation going in and still voted for her anyway.

I think if she held such vile views and had the same thought process as Yvonne, that it would have come out much earlier and sunk her candidacy. She's also an immigrant herself, I believe.

Posted on: 2018/11/6 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/11/6 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am inclined to 4,5,6 as well although I like Mussab and Natalia.
I may end up splitting my vote as in the last election where I selected ALL winners, just saying..

Posted on: 2018/11/6 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
I'm voting 4-5-6. Terrible idea to vote for candidates bought and paid for by the NJEA - teacher's union. Children and taxpayers come first!
James Solomon and others have endorced 4-5-6.

Quote:

ecinjc wrote:
The union supports 1,2 and3.

Joshua I?m speaking for myself not the candidates. They have run a totally positive campaign and good for them. If I had been writing their campaign messaging you would know it.

However the question posed was who do people support and why? I support 4,5 and 6, because the other side has aligned themselves with the Board President.

I don?t think Sudhan Thomas has been a good Board President, for a lot of reasons. First and foremost I think it was unethical to fire Dr. Lyles staff without notice and opened the district up to legal action.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... cials_signal_lawsuit.html

Also his own personal financial problems make him unfit to hold the role as Board President.
https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rd_president_lawsuit.html

And if that weren?t enough I hold him at least partially responsible for the teachers strike. He had ample opportunity to send the teachers contract to mediation and didn?t.

So those are my reasons. I?m sure you will have a rebuttal and yes I was a part of Parents for Progress but have nothing to do with Jersey City United so you are wrong again there.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Incorrect on so many levels.

1) The employees in question all received Rice notices. The problem is that Dr. Lyles ignored the fact that central office was rife with violations of the civil service law and other improper appointments. She assumed she could just place these on the agenda and get a pro forma approval. The board finally said enough is enough.

2) The "financial problems" were disagreements with his matrimonial attorneys over a few thousand dollars in what was billed. The matter has been resolved and everything has been paid.

3) Mediation would not have averted a teacher's strike. Mediation was a way that the district could have delayed further bargaining. It was what the district did in the prior dispute, which angered the teachers because it was a way for Lyles and the P4P controlled board to avoid resolution.

The teachers were without a contract for a significantly longer period last time than this time. There was a 1 day strike because there was a much different labor environment where teachers were striking across the country.

And over the weekend, the parties bargained round the clock, and with help of the mayor, resolved the contract. Had the district sought to go to mediation, then the contract would not have been resolved and the union could have continued the strike. The district was lined to go up to court and stop the strike (public sector unions are not permitted to call a strike) but the contract was resolved. A lot quicker, a lot less legal expense, a lot less acrimony.

The current board was able to settle the contract in a much less acrimonious, more efficient, less expensive matter than the prior board.

The bottom line is that this board has accomplished more in 10 months than prior boards accomplished over the past 10 years. It has done so just as the state has begun to drastically cut aid (with the encouragement of those who back the JC United slate). And it has done so as we have learned that over the past several years central office under Dr. Lyles has been at best unable to confront the serious problems of mismanagement and non-compliance, and at worst actively aided and abetted them.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 19:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
The union supports 1,2 and3.

Joshua I?m speaking for myself not the candidates. They have run a totally positive campaign and good for them. If I had been writing their campaign messaging you would know it.

However the question posed was who do people support and why? I support 4,5 and 6, because the other side has aligned themselves with the Board President.

I don?t think Sudhan Thomas has been a good Board President, for a lot of reasons. First and foremost I think it was unethical to fire Dr. Lyles staff without notice and opened the district up to legal action.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... cials_signal_lawsuit.html

Also his own personal financial problems make him unfit to hold the role as Board President.
https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rd_president_lawsuit.html

And if that weren?t enough I hold him at least partially responsible for the teachers strike. He had ample opportunity to send the teachers contract to mediation and didn?t.

So those are my reasons. I?m sure you will have a rebuttal and yes I was a part of Parents for Progress but have nothing to do with Jersey City United so you are wrong again there.

Posted on: 2018/11/5 5:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/6 0:32
Group:
Registered Users
Who does the union support?

Posted on: 2018/11/2 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/11/2 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The board raised the levy by 6.5% this year. This was due to a "banked cap" available because the Board did not raise it the full 2% in prior years. Though I have just spoken with someone who advised me that not all that 6.5$ was dye to the levy. It included raises for other hardships that state law allows an exception for.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... city_school_district.html

Posted on: 2018/11/2 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
JPHurst, I'm not sure how you recollect facts about taxes and the fictional/mysterious reserve fund. JCPS has consistently had a 2% local school tax increase, every year, for years. One year, in recent memory, it was more than a 2% increase unbeknownst to then school business administrator that to do so requires a public referendum.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecinjc wrote:
I?m voting for Vidya, Neil, and Dominique.

I am not happy with the leadership on the board right now. (Sudhan Thomas and his gang) They seem more concerned with political vengeance than helping the kids. Vidya has her kids in the public school and has been consistently a smart, responsible, respectful leader. And I absolutely love Dominique and Neil. They are super bright, energetic, positive, and exactly the types of leaders we need for the Democratic Party. Both have acting been endorsed by national organizations ( a first I think for JC) Dominique is endorsed by Run For Something https://runforsomething.net/candidates/dominique-smith/, and Neil by the Victory Fund.

Except that by becoming part of "Jersey City United" they showed that they, not current board leadership, are the ones involved in political revenge. JC United is the reincarnation of the failed Parents for Progress

This board faced unprecedented obstacles. In prior years the district depleted its reserve fund, leaving this board a $70 million deficit to close. It did so, with no layoffs.

At the same time, the law Chris Christie passed to require employee health contributions opened up this year to allow it to become a subject of bargaining again, leaving the district with another hole it had to fill. They were able to negotiate and had marathon sessions to reach agreement, all while keeping the district on sound financial footing.

Prior boards, under the leadership of "Parents for Progress" trustees, often refused to raise the tax levy even up to the modest 2% cap. This board raised the tax levy, including raising the "banked cap" so that the district could raise a larger share from local revenue. Ironically, the same people supporting JC United were the same people who a) while on the board, refused to raise the levy to the maximum extent possible, and then b) after they were no longer in control of the board, bemoaned the lack of local contribution to the district's budget and actively encouraged state efforts to reduce our state aid. Essentially, they are saying "we refused to raise local revenue when we could, and are now going to make you raise taxes, including for the amount we could have raised. And we will also say that the state is justified in cutting our aid because we don't raise enough local revenue." A greater display of political chutzpah is not possible.

For years, central office hires were in violation of civil service law. In fact, when Dr. Lyles came on board, the district received a report outlining these deficiencies. Rather than correct these deficiencies, she let them continue to install her own appointments. The board finally fixed this.

In short, this board has dealt with, and continues to deal with, unprecedented financial obstacles and has met the challenge to keep the district going. As the state funding cuts (encouraged by several opponents off the current board leadership) continue there should be no doubt that they have earned the right to continue to do the job.

When the candidates first filed and formed slates, I felt that there were 8 good candidates. While you would have the inevitable clash and disagreement of a campaign, we had at least gotten away from the factions that sought personal destruction and tried to scapegoat labor unions for the district's woes. Unfortunately that has changed, and we are all worse off for it.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 16:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
I?m voting for Vidya, Neil, and Dominique.

I am not happy with the leadership on the board right now. (Sudhan Thomas and his gang) They seem more concerned with political vengeance than helping the kids. Vidya has her kids in the public school and has been consistently a smart, responsible, respectful leader. And I absolutely love Dominique and Neil. They are super bright, energetic, positive, and exactly the types of leaders we need for the Democratic Party. Both have acting been endorsed by national organizations ( a first I think for JC) Dominique is endorsed by Run For Something https://runforsomething.net/candidates/dominique-smith/, and Neil by the Victory Fund.

Posted on: 2018/11/2 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Natalia has been active in her community for a long time. She has my vote as well.

Posted on: 2018/10/31 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
After recording the debates I find the candidates are not running against each other as they are running against the policies of JC City Hall. They are concerned about the money and the lack of response from the mayor and city council.

Posted on: 2018/10/31 1:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
I too will be voting for Natalia Ioffe. Line 7i

She is independent, very smart, very committed to her neighborhood, to the children of Jersey City, has been working for a long time with and for the parents at the grammar school in Paulus Hook and doing a superb job.

Posted on: 2018/10/31 0:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/20 1:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
Why don't you start?

Natalia Ioffe served PS 16 as a leader of the parent council, and she displayed a great deal of creativity in fundraising, as well as in creating programs for students and parents. Our family has directly benefited so much from her hard work, so she has my vote.

For more details:
https://hudsoncountyview.com/letter-vo ... -board-of-education-race/

Posted on: 2018/10/30 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't you start?

Posted on: 2018/10/30 15:46

JCBOE - who are you voting for and why?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/20 1:19
Group:
Registered Users
On Election Day, November 6, 2018, Jersey City residents will choose among eight candidates to fill three open board member seats coming to full term. Who are you voting for and why?

Find the list of candidates here:
https://jerseycityed.com/2018/10/28/ca ... -jcboe-election-day-2018/

Posted on: 2018/10/30 3:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017