Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Roof Leak - advice needed
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Mulligan Roofing
(201) 224-8066
Tom Mulligan /Frank

Frank repaired my flat roof a few weeks back. He was extremely professional, reasonably priced compared to JC roofing quotes, very neat, explained the work in detail & provided before and after pictures. Highly recommend!

Posted on: 2016/10/4 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
A company called Azek makes a modular product where you place down a base made out of rubber tiles with what is essentially rubber bricks that you lay down on top of the base like interlocking Legos. It only works on relatively flat surfaces, but you don't need to screw them or glue them down onto/into the roof.

It's something like 12 bucks for i think 14" or 16" squares.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 18:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/6 18:15
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dinger wrote:

PM if you want more info. Been a deck builder/designer for many years.

PM'd you.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Fascinating stuff about the decks, maybe needs it own thread. I've concluded from a few prices I've heard that for my rental properties the return in terms of rent wouldn't justify the cost of the deck and making the access civilized rather than a steep stair and hatch. Makes more sense for homes or condos. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2016/10/4 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Besides Capital Roofing, any other recommendations?

Posted on: 2016/10/4 1:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Make sure you line the bottoms of the sleepers with EPDM. Since you'll need a rail start thinking about how you'll fasten it. If you are fastening to a rim make sure you've a couple of inches underneath to allow runoff to drain to your gutters (unless you have scuppers).

Sleepers are your least expensive option -- the tiles and bison supports the guy below is talking about are best reserved for commercial decks.

PM if you want more info. Been a deck builder/designer for many years.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
Bison supports are extremely ($$$$$) pricey given how many you'll likely need and only work well if your roof slopes in a single direction. I only use bison where I am using joist supports for ordinary 2x and 4x frame material since I find the tiles are ugly and cost prohibitive for residential work. One good thing about their system is you can raise it fully loaded -- legos for builders.

Other option are sleepers if you have a one direction slope but put some rubber padding under the tapered sleepers.

Third option is a freestanding ordinary deck right over the roof. This is the best option if your situation allows.

What are you doing for railing? If you don't have a parapet wall you'll likely need at least a 2x8 rim anyway which eliminates use of the tiles.

I need a railing. I think the sleeper option is what is being proposed since the roof slopes in one direction. Tiles aren't being recommended; rather long composite planks.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Please someone recommend a roofer (flat roof). What about Capital Roofing? There used to be good reviews for them apart from difficulty getting them to actually show up? Anyone else?

Posted on: 2016/10/3 15:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bison supports are extremely ($$$$$) pricey given how many you'll likely need and only work well if your roof slopes in a single direction. I only use bison where I am using joist supports for ordinary 2x and 4x frame material since I find the tiles are ugly and cost prohibitive for residential work. One good thing about their system is you can raise it fully loaded -- legos for builders.

Other option are sleepers if you have a one direction slope but put some rubber padding under the tapered sleepers.

Third option is a freestanding ordinary deck right over the roof. This is the best option if your situation allows.

What are you doing for railing? If you don't have a parapet wall you'll likely need at least a 2x8 rim anyway which eliminates use of the tiles.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BobNesta wrote:
What're your opinions on the installation of a composite deck (250 sq ft) on a flat roof?

Is your roof built strong enough for a deck? If yes.. there are two types of products.

A roof deck system that allow you to make it level.
The system
Deck material option
Deck material option 2

Or you can use a simple system that is really easy to install.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 13:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like some of you might know more than the average persons about roofs. What're your opinions on the installation of a composite deck (250 sq ft) on a flat roof? My concern is that if there is ever a leak, it would be a disaster fixing it since it would likely require ripping up the entire deck. I also have concerns about adding too much weight to the roof. The roof is covered in rubber membrane materials (EPDM).

Posted on: 2016/10/3 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the feedback so far!!!

Any recommendations on a roofer who's good at finding and fixing leaks?

Also, any recommendations on a good mold inspection company?

Posted on: 2016/10/3 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

This summer after another leak in the same place, we get a roofer in and tell him to cut into our ceiling to find out what is going on in their. He cuts it open to discover that there is a clearly visible hole (visible from the inside with the light coming through, invisible from the outside on the roof).

Similar experience. I had a leak in my bedroom who's source I couldn't find. Out of frustration, I cut a hole into the parapet and crawled in. I found sunlight shining through dozens of pin holes along the edge of the parapet. The contractor didn't flash the edge of the parapet properly. The water would then pool in a spot far from the leaks, before entering the bedroom ceiling.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
SRhia - you have to cut into the ceiling to properly diagnose the problem. We had similar issue in our apartment - top floor of 4th floor walk up, directly exposed to the roof.

Bought it three years ago, were warned that there had been leaks "years ago" but were assured they had been fixed. That was BS. Two years of minor leaks - but only during sustained very heavy prolonged rain (in excess of two hours) - we got a roofer out he sprayed the roof with a hose for an hour to find a hole, but no joy.

This summer after another leak in the same place, we get a roofer in and tell him to cut into our ceiling to find out what is going on in their. He cuts it open to discover that there is a clearly visible hole (visible from the inside with the light coming through, invisible from the outside on the roof).

Even worse, we discover that in a previous "repair" someone had placed a foil Thanksgiving turkey tray up there to collect water. Rather than patching the hole, they just stuck a turkey tray up there to collect water coming in. That was why in normal rain - or even heavy rain of less than 2hrs - no leak, because the tray caught it. More than 2 hours and the tray overflowed and spilled onto the plaster and came through the ceiling.

The only way to fix your problem is to cut into the ceiling, find out exactly what is going on in there and get a professional patch/repair conducted. Best to wait for a recent leak to ensure there will be damp to follow to the source. Just be sure that your guy will replaster your ceiling afterward. We have heard some horror stories!

Posted on: 2016/10/2 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know how old the roof is, but was told by an inspector that it has 5-10 years left (that was about 2 yrs ago).

We lived here for about 10 yrs, and this is the first leak that we've encountered.

Quote:

MDM wrote:
How old is the roof?

I had to replace a roof last year. Where the leaks were and where the water came in were in entirely different locations. The water was traveling between the previous layers of roof that was installed over the years (7+ layers in my case).

Posted on: 2016/10/2 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:

IIRC 3 layers is the maximum allowed according to code. 7+ layers is massive weight for the joists to support.

Such is the case. However, the former owners didn't follow that rule. I had 120+ years of roofing ripped off.

Every building I have owned has had way more than three roofs prior to ripping them off.

My last had about 4 inches of various crap. Another that I cut a hole in for a vent had about 1" of solid rubber/asphalt.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:

IIRC 3 layers is the maximum allowed according to code. 7+ layers is massive weight for the joists to support.

Such is the case. However, the former owners didn't follow that rule. I had 120+ years of roofing ripped off.

Every building I have owned has had way more than three roofs prior to ripping them off.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
How old is the roof?

I had to replace a roof last year. Where the leaks were and where the water came in were in entirely different locations. The water was traveling between the previous layers of roof that was installed over the years (7+ layers in my case).

Posted on: 2016/10/2 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How old is the roof?

Posted on: 2016/10/2 16:58

Roof Leak - advice needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Need some advice here -

Background:
We live on the top floor of a small condo building. A leak started about 2.5 years ago, near the skylight in our bathroom. A roofer came at the time and replaced the skylight. However the leak came back during the next raining season.

Then the roofer came back and put rubber sealer around the skylight; recaulked the skylight, and many other things over the last 2.5 years. However the leak always come back at the next rainy season (spring, fall), and always leak in the same spot / area in our bathroom.

In spring this year, when the leaked returned, the roofer took a video and showed that there was a pool of water under the rubber sealer next to the skylight - while the roof was dry at that time. The roofer did more repairs at this time (supposedly dried up the water first, before the repairs).

The spot leaked again 2 days ago when it rained, but stopped yesterday when the rain stopped. However, yesterday, we notice water running down our hallway, on both sides of the wall, starting from outside that bathroom, extending about 10 feet down the apartment. The drip runs down about the top 1/3 of the wall, and didn't go any further down (and was dry by last night). And the drips are just lines of water, intermittent along the wall, not a "blanket coverage" of the entire hall way.

So obviously the leak looks much worse than we expected, and probably in an area that we/roofer didn't look at. The condo assoc is trying to get a new roofer to come now and look at the problem.

My questions are:
- throughout these time, we never opened our ceiling due to recommendation from our property management co (it's been sealed so long, you don't want to do that - all the dust and dirt may be bad for your health!!!). Should we have done that - from the very beginning?

- after seeing the video from spring with the water pooling, does it mean we may have mold up there now? I do not see yellow or water spots on the ceiling / walls so far (except for a few small bubbles in the paint that we observed yesterday in the ceiling).

- what other actions should we do now? Open up the ceiling??? Get a mold expert to come and take a look?

TIA.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 16:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017