Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Problems with Comcast?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I never had to have FIOS come out, needed Comcast mutliple times and then they tried to tell me they wouldn't reimburse me despite their promises otherwise.

I would drop Comcast, they are horrid.

I haven't let Comcast into my house in over 10 years. Not after I got burgled a couple of days after they installed cable...recommend you borrow a few large dogs if you plan on letting them - or any stranger in for maintenance.

Posted on: 2016/7/27 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I never had to have FIOS come out, needed Comcast mutliple times and then they tried to tell me they wouldn't reimburse me despite their promises otherwise.

I would drop Comcast, they are horrid.

Posted on: 2016/7/26 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I thought of a generator, but the gentleman said he lived in a building...I made the leap of logic that he lives in a high-rise like I do. My landlord might look askance if I fired up a generator in my 18th-floor apartment. I stand corrected.

At the time, I lived in an apartment that faces onto a courtyard. To not incur the wrath of my neighbors (even a quiet generator can be noisy!) I opened my place to all neighbors to come charge their stuff and opened my wifi to all. It ended up being a nice experience that brought neighbors together.

bodhipooh, this is cracking me up. We're in the same Biz and I did the same. Only I'm in a house and we ran the generator out on the sidewalk with a power strip and invited the neighbors to help themselves. I also ran an extension cord into my house to run my fridge (cold beer was medicinal during those 5 days without power over the grid) and another cord to recharge the battery in my FiOS ONT and power my wireless router, which I also opened up for free wi-fi to all since Cell coverage was very very marginal Downtown.

Posted on: 2016/7/14 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I thought of a generator, but the gentleman said he lived in a building...I made the leap of logic that he lives in a high-rise like I do. My landlord might look askance if I fired up a generator in my 18th-floor apartment. I stand corrected.

At the time, I lived in an apartment that faces onto a courtyard. To not incur the wrath of my neighbors (even a quiet generator can be noisy!) I opened my place to all neighbors to come charge their stuff and opened my wifi to all. It ended up being a nice experience that brought neighbors together.

Posted on: 2016/7/14 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/13 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]

Honda power generator. Fill it with two gallons of gas and run for hours on end, and quietly at that.

Yup. That worked for me. Made it 5 days until power restored-

Posted on: 2016/7/13 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
how is verizon fios dsl. reliable, cost?

I don't think Verizon even sells DSL Service anymore. FiOS is fiber optic. I dumped Comcast the minute FiOS was available, and that was about 14(?) years ago. FiOS is more expensive but it's wicked-fast and it's been ultra-reliable (and I do IT Support professionally so means something to me) but it's also dedicated speed. Cable, by network nature, is shared bandwidth. If your neighbors are all streaming movies at the same time you definitely see your own speed throttled.

It's a chocolate vs. vanilla decision-

100% on point. I got FiOS the day it became available in my building, and never looked back. When Sandy struck, I still had internet (and TV signal) even though the building lost power for a whole week. Fiber optic is awesome. But, it is also super delicate. I work from home fairly often and reliable internet is a basic necessity for my line of work as an IT consultant. FiOS is definitely worth the extra cost premium.

Not being argumentative, but how did you have TV/internet without electricity? If you have a secret wind turbine, I gotta get one of those.

Honda power generator. Fill it with two gallons of gas and run for hours on end, and quietly at that.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
[quote]

Not being argumentative, but how did you have TV/internet without electricity? If you have a secret wind turbine, I gotta get one of those.

Most IP Pros I know have their own nuclear-powered electric generators. This powers the satellite antenna to connect over the Cosmic Bandwidth to a secret Government satellite network and they get speeds FAR faster than anyone would believe.

Run a line from the spaceship. Or take off the tin foil and let the OTA signals in.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
[quote]

Most IP Pros I know have their own nuclear-powered electric generators. This powers the satellite antenna to connect over the Cosmic Bandwidth to a secret Government satellite network and they get speeds FAR faster than anyone would believe.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I don't think Verizon even sells DSL Service anymore. FiOS is fiber optic. I dumped Comcast the minute FiOS was available, and that was about 14(?) years ago. FiOS is more expensive but it's wicked-fast and it's been ultra-reliable (and I do IT Support professionally so means something to me) but it's also dedicated speed. Cable, by network nature, is shared bandwidth. If your neighbors are all streaming movies at the same time you definitely see your own speed throttled.

100% on point. I got FiOS the day it became available in my building, and never looked back. When Sandy struck, I still had internet (and TV signal) even though the building lost power for a whole week. Fiber optic is awesome. But, it is also super delicate. I work from home fairly often and reliable internet is a basic necessity for my line of work as an IT consultant. FiOS is definitely worth the extra cost premium.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
I believe a lot get sucked into advertising. Both Fios and Comcast are fiber. They are both extremely fast. As a comcast subscriber, and an IT professional that runs his own company and has virtual machines accessible through the network... comcast is good.

Maybe 10 years ago, with cable internet you would notice your bandwidth being affected by other users.. but that is far from the case these days. I get consistent 180Mbps download - it's possible if everyone in the neighborhood is downloading movies at the same time it can get throttled to 160Mbps -- which is still amazing and more than anybody needs.

It is the equipment within the buildings that are peoples problems - not the service coming to the building.

People get so sucked into marketing campaigns to think that one service is faster than the other... when in reality they are both faster than anyone needs.

Customer service and pricing however is a completely different story. I can only speak to Comcast on that and they suck at it - but have gotten slightly better over the past few years.

Posted on: 2016/7/9 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/7/9 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

FIOS / fiber optic also has lower latency compared to cable. Gamers care about latency, also low latency is needed for acceptable VOIP quality. Cable companies are investing in fiber optic for the end user. Comcast acquired Lightpath, for example. For most consumers cable is fine. For less demanding needs (internet only) price is the most important consideration. But from what I've read here I'd be wary of dealing with Comcast...

Posted on: 2016/7/8 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2016/7/8 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/7/8 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Agreed with the above posters -- pay Comcast to send the signal to your modem and don't use their equipment. Do some research, get a decent modem and a good router and your speeds should be fast. I have Blast and consistently have download speeds of 180MBps on all my devices.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Arris SB6190 or SB6183

Worth waiting for a price drop - set up an email alert on http://www.techbargains.com/alert.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm totally on board with the own vs. rent discussion, and I've had my own modem/router for years. I know it's time for an upgrade, do you guys have a recommendation? Because, of course, I'm too lazy to look on Amazon myself :)

Posted on: 2016/7/7 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
I concur with On_The 3rd. I haven't had a piece of Comcast equipment in my house in close to 15 years. I own my own modem, routers, DVR (TiVo), etc. The only thing they may own is the cabling, and even that I'm not sure of. And in that time, for at least the last dozen years, service has been exceptionally stable, both Internet and TV. Other than Sandy, there have been few outages. My biggest gripe is indeed their billing/customer service. But their signals, just fine.

And yes, even with expensive TiVo, including the lifetime costs, along with modem and router, I'm way ahead versus renting their equipment.

Posted on: 2016/7/7 10:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I had Comcast for years without issue, that was until they had that "we've upgraded our service, trade in your old modem" program. Worst thing i could have done. The gateway that Comcast provides was a complete POS. WiFi signal could barely reach a room or two away. We constantly lost our connection. Streaming video through an ethernet cable to our TV was excruciating. Couldn't even connect to xBox Live. It had to be rebooted at least 2x a week. I went back and forth with Comcast for about 6 months about the issue, and of course it had "nothing to do with their service or hardware". I finally bit the bullet and bought my own router and modem. With that alone, every single problem i had was fixed. blazing fast downloads (even with my 25mb/s plan), full WiFi in all location of my apartment, no rebooting, no buffering, nothing. Plus now in several months, the purchase of my own equipment will offset the cost of renting their garbage.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 21:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
One simple thing you should try is making sure all your cable connections are tight.

I would lose the internet, while TV was fine.

After I tighten all the connections, from where it entered the house and at the splitters, I haven't had any problems.

Comcast has been in JC for 30 years now, if you have old wiring, some of the connections might have become loose.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, it ain't me.

I only posted this here because nobody in the reddit thread really had anywhere to turn.

Assuming this will end the same. I keep receiving sub-par service, yet keep paying a premium for it. Some day this awful cycle of abuse will end.

Save us, Google Fiber. Save us.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Same issue with us, the past few weeks the Wifi is awful at night, it's fine during the day.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 11:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Two recent issues I've noticed have been:
1. Comcast DNS server outages. Try switch to an alternate like opendns.
2. Unsupported/end-of-life modems like the SB6121 and SB6141. (Comcast might be messing with connections to these to force an upgrade). Buy a new one from amazon if needed. .

Other things to try:
1. Check your modem for errors and signal strength. Can access it in your browser under 192.168.100.1.
2. Connect to xfinitywifi from PC|Laptop|smartphone. Almost all of downtown is covered by xfinitywifi. If you can get internet access on xfinitywifi - there's generally not a widespread outage.
3. Login to your comcast account over xfinitywifi (or smartphone service) then Go to My Account> My Services - click on view against My Xfinity Internet and run the troubleshooter. (Answer No to the questions).
4. If the above throws an error - think you get the option to chat with tech support.
5. If you're more technically inclinded you can run a traceroute in the background around the time of the outage. Download http://www.d3tr.de/download.html and run a trace "As List" to say google.com. May give some clue as to which internet hop is broken.

Normally though - I just switch to xfinitywifi - and wait for Comcast to resolve things at their end...their support is pretty useless.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 8:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Posting this on July 1st.

For the past probably month or so I've been having terribly unreliable service with my internet. I'm in Downtown. My connection drops pretty much nightly right around 9.

I called tech support and they said they can have someone come out. I told them it's not me, it's you. Then to my amazement they told me there's literally nothing that I, as a customer, can do to resolve this, or to check back on to see that someone was working on the issue.
They have no service advisories on record. There's no department she could point me to that deals with anything related to quality assurance.

Anybody else having this issue? What the hell do you do? Switch to Fios? Does Fios suck?

Before blaming Comcast - maybe think a little more and that the problem could possibly be on your end. I hate Comcast as as a company, their customer service is pathetic, but I've had them here downtown for 13 years and they have been extremely reliable.

My guess is you have issues with your equipment.. maybe modem, router, or your devices.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 8:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I had FIOS for six years. Can't really complain.

FIOS is at the Grove Street Farmers Market. You can talk to them in person.

Time Warner Cable is smart enough to be located in Queens Center Mall and at The Shops at SkyView Center.

How come the cable companies here are not in the mall? That would be so convenient.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 3:13

Problems with Comcast?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Posting this on July 1st.

For the past probably month or so I've been having terribly unreliable service with my internet. I'm in Downtown. My connection drops pretty much nightly right around 9.

I called tech support and they said they can have someone come out. I told them it's not me, it's you. Then to my amazement they told me there's literally nothing that I, as a customer, can do to resolve this, or to check back on to see that someone was working on the issue.
They have no service advisories on record. There's no department she could point me to that deals with anything related to quality assurance.

Anybody else having this issue? What the hell do you do? Switch to Fios? Does Fios suck?

Posted on: 2016/7/2 2:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017