Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Trader Joe's to open in Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(Deez Nuts!)

Trader Joe's recalls 'raw' cashew pieces due to salmonella fears

By Steve Strunsky | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on January 17, 2016 at 6:10 PM, updated January 17, 2016 at 6:45 PM

CLIFTON ? Trader Joe's on Sunday issued a recall of its "Raw Cashew Pieces" after the company said the supplier of the nuts warned of that some bags might contain salmonella bacteria.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016 ... la.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2016/1/18 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
... thousands of people have the perception that building a pedestrian bridge to Manhattan is remotely feasible."

feasible [fee-zuh-buh l]

adjective

1. capable of being done, effected, or accomplished:
a feasible plan.

Not only is it "remotely feasible", it is entirely feasible. (Teleporting yourself to Manhattan is not feasible. Time travel is not feasible.) It can be done - the question is, will it? Likely not, but objections get thrown out with little to no factual basis. What does it cost? Probably less than an unnecessary $1.1 billion extension of the PATH to EWR. One thing the PA is very skilled at is extracting dollars from a variety of sources to fund projects. If the will was there (and I'm not saying it is), this could definitely be built.

The ability to BUILD a pedestrian bridge is definitely feasible in terms of engineering skills. The ability to complete a pedestrian bridge project that spans the Hudson between DTJC and Lower Manhattan is DEFINITELY NOT feasible.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What is it that they say...? Perception is reality.

I agree with your post but wanted to point out that thousands of people have the perception that building a pedestrian bridge to Manhattan is remotely feasible.

So I think "they" are not always right.

You are SO right... Thanks for the laugh!

Posted on: 2015/10/9 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
... thousands of people have the perception that building a pedestrian bridge to Manhattan is remotely feasible."

feasible [fee-zuh-buh l]

adjective

1. capable of being done, effected, or accomplished:
a feasible plan.

Not only is it "remotely feasible", it is entirely feasible. (Teleporting yourself to Manhattan is not feasible. Time travel is not feasible.) It can be done - the question is, will it? Likely not, but objections get thrown out with little to no factual basis. What does it cost? Probably less than an unnecessary $1.1 billion extension of the PATH to EWR. One thing the PA is very skilled at is extracting dollars from a variety of sources to fund projects. If the will was there (and I'm not saying it is), this could definitely be built.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I still can't believe that this is the location they chose in JC/Hoboken. Oh well. I think somewhere around the Grove Path, in the base of a high rise, would have been a superior location for them, driving more volume with greater density in an almost identical demographic to northern Hoboken. I could be completely wrong with that hypothesis. I guess this probably means Jersey City won't be getting a TJ's.

"Advance Realty, which is quickly building its luxury residential development in Hoboken at Willow Ave. and 14th Street, received zoning board approvals for the overall project several years ago, Melli said, along with a large underground parking garage."

They want to have a large client base for their store, people with cars tend to buy more.

It seems very weird to require parking in an extremely dense area. They are treating it like the suburbs. Maybe I am disconnected to many peoples' reality, but who is driving to Hoboken for groceries? Isn't the Edgewater location more convenient and accessible for the driving types? Aside from maybe Weehawken residents, and JC Heights residents.

And, is the number of customers you gain by having parking, greater than the potential customers you could have by being nestled into a neighborhood, sans parking, but surrounded by about 30 high-rise condo buildings whose residents REALLY need a place to buy groceries?

You hate parking so much, well this is a consequence. You seem like a smart guy, so try to understand that people with cars can buy many many more groceries than those on foot.

Hence, it is a no brainier for a grocery store to opt for a location that provides a large parking lot rather than no parking at all. It's not simply the quantity of customers (which is all you acknowledge), it's the amount of $$ received from each one.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Who cares what I compare? It's what Trader Joe compares.

Exactly!

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
07305 median income is $47,797 and they are more likely to shop dtjc or Hob since there is not many supermarkets in this zip. We only have Pathmark which is disgusting and Twin City which is not too bad. This is why you find so many 07304 and 07305 heads in Shoprite dtjc.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
I don't think they are catering to us.

According to Realtor.Com:

Hoboken Median Household Income is $129,307

Jersey City Median Household Income is $95,026

Why would you compare 50,000 Hoboken residents to 260,000 Jersey City residents, much of which are low-income? Compare 50,000 Hoboken to 50,000 DTJC (07302 and 07310 zip codes) and you'll see that the demographics are basically identical.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think they are catering to us.

According to Realtor.Com:

Hoboken Median Household Income is $129,307

Jersey City Median Household Income is $95,026

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I still can't believe that this is the location they chose in JC/Hoboken. Oh well. I think somewhere around the Grove Path, in the base of a high rise, would have been a superior location for them, driving more volume with greater density in an almost identical demographic to northern Hoboken. I could be completely wrong with that hypothesis. I guess this probably means Jersey City won't be getting a TJ's.

"Advance Realty, which is quickly building its luxury residential development in Hoboken at Willow Ave. and 14th Street, received zoning board approvals for the overall project several years ago, Melli said, along with a large underground parking garage."

They want to have a large client base for their store, people with cars tend to buy more.

It seems very weird to require parking in an extremely dense area. They are treating it like the suburbs. Maybe I am disconnected to many peoples' reality, but who is driving to Hoboken for groceries? Isn't the Edgewater location more convenient and accessible for the driving types? Aside from maybe Weehawken residents, and JC Heights residents.

And, is the number of customers you gain by having parking, greater than the potential customers you could have by being nestled into a neighborhood, sans parking, but surrounded by about 30 high-rise condo buildings whose residents REALLY need a place to buy groceries?

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
According to Google Map, it would take me around 34 minutes to take the light rail to Hoboken's Trader Joe, and that includes a 16 minute walk from the light rail to the store.

It only takes 28 minutes to go to 23rd St, including a 2 minute walk from the PATH train to the store.

Exactly. That 28 minutes goes down to about 20 if you live closer to Grove or Newport.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
According to Google Map, it would take me around 34 minutes to take the light rail to Hoboken's Trader Joe, and that includes a 16 minute walk from the light rail to the store.

It only takes 28 minutes to go to 23rd St, including a 2 minute walk from the PATH train to the store.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

The store will have a large underground parking garage, and this area is pretty easy to access by car. Plus it's close-ish to the light rail / JC Heights, and all of that new development in the back of Hoboken.

This location is not convenient for ME (damn them), but it does make sense.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
What is it that they say...? Perception is reality.

I agree with your post but wanted to point out that thousands of people have the perception that building a pedestrian bridge to Manhattan is remotely feasible.

So I think "they" are not always right.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

What is there not to believe!? I think some people in DTJC have a warped and distorted view of the entire demographics that make up the area, and how the area is perceived by others. There's ton of poverty in DTJC, it's a more transient population (I feel Hoboken has more young families, who are staying in place and growing roots there, while we seem to attract a younger, less settled group) and, overall, Hoboken is considered a more desirable market and population. Ask any non-JC person that lives in the immediate area (say, within a 10-mile radius) which city they would rather visit, and I am positive Hoboken will come ahead of JC. What is it that they say...? Perception is reality.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The Hoboken location is a 17 min drive from my crib and a 25 min drive to the Millburn location. I think I will stick to Millburn location. But thanks though.

Exactly. Why even bother with Hoboken when Millburn is so close by, right? But, I'm surprised you clock 25 minutes to get out to Millburn. From the Danforth St area (that's more or less where you live, tight?) it should be under 20 minutes.

Plus, once out there, you have access to any other big box stores you may need to hit up, plus the Whole Foods up the road from TJs.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Hoboken location is a 17 min drive from my crib and a 25 min drive to the Millburn location. I think I will stick to Millburn location. But thanks though.

Posted on: 2015/10/9 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/9 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Laura Herzog | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Hoboken residents are now one roll of a packed grocery cart closer to having convenient access to Trader Joe's signature Speculoos cookie butter, frozen mandarin orange chicken, and pumpkin ice cream.

According to Hoboken spokesman Juan Melli, Advance at Hoboken LLC filed a Certificate of Zoning application Sept. 24 that was approved Sept. 28, and the plans included architectural drawings for a Trader Joe's.

For several years now, the prospective addition to Hoboken of a Trader Joe's, a specialty American grocery store chain, has been no secret.

Advance Realty, which is quickly building its luxury residential development in Hoboken at Willow Ave. and 14th Street, proposed a Trader Joe's on the bottom floor years ago, Melli said, along with a large underground parking garage.

More

Posted on: 2015/10/9 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in Hoboken for a dozen years and when the Quick Check on Washington & Third vacated due to rent increases, I called Trader Joe's. "Hi, I've never called a grocery store before to beg them to come to town but our Food Town is closed twice / year for health violations and Shop Rite is well alright and everything but you should really check out this space...everyone here loves you guys." They called me back a few weeks later with a "wow, nice space but way to expensive for a grocery store" and Garden of Eden renovates and moves right on in.
Garden's way more expensive that TJ's. It's about time they woke up to Hoboken and signed a lease already.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Im a huge fan of TJs. I go there all the time....so much in fact (lol yes i live a sad life) that I know most of the staff. I even urged a friend who was looking for work while he studied to apply there. He luvs working there.

He and several other associates told me that the opening of the Hoboken store is a done deal. Management had also told the associates if anyone wanted to transfer to let them know.

Whether i am believed or not its fine with me. I am just glad a TJs option got even closer.

Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

Asif wrote:
For those who like TJs, it is true they are opening up in Hoboken. I will give u guys a firm date very soon.

It's heresy until it is on the "opening soon" list on the TJs website. It may not be updated as yet, but until there is official word from TJs themselves, there's no point in believing what people post.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 16:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/23 12:37
From 5th Street
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City needs a decent grocery store! I used to go to a number of stores to get all of the things we needed as a family until a friend turned me on to Hoboken's Shop Rite. It is tons better than the JC Shop Rite - huge, clean, ample parking (which in Hoboken is a must, bc parking anywhere there can be a nightmare), and a large selection of organic produce, meats, etc.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
For those who like TJs, it is true they are opening up in Hoboken. I will give u guys a firm date very soon.

It's heresy until it is on the "opening soon" list on the TJs website. It may not be updated as yet, but until there is official word from TJs themselves, there's no point in believing what people post.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Good to know.

We'll live only a stone's throw from 100 Steps, and their oyster quality and BYOB policy make them our go to.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I am getting married next week and moving out to Linden, to my fiance's house, until we get a new place together. I have a Trader Joes, a Whole Foods and a Wegmans, all within ten minutes.

Good craft beer selection and French onion soup at the Linwood Inn, and great sandwiches (M-F only, and they close at 2) at Chubby's Place. Both on Wood Avenue.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I am getting married next week and moving out to Linden, to my fiance's house, until we get a new place together. I have a Trader Joes, a Whole Foods and a Wegmans, all within ten minutes.

Posted on: 2015/9/19 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/18 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I have said it many times before: if you have a car, you are much better off going out to Vauxhall / Millburn and you can hit up WF and TJs (within a mile of each other) and you have ample parking at both places, and the kicker is that the trip is only 20 minutes.

Or Clifton where you can get TJs and Costco.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 20:54
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Wegmans is headed next to the Brooklyn Navy Yard not Hoboken and certainly not Jersey City lol!!!!

Interesting choice. Definitely weeding out the carless, transit there SUCKS!

Posted on: 2015/8/9 15:33

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017