Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
30 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 30

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 3 »


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#66
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Flying the confederate flag is a provocation, and burning it is a reasonable protest. Flags though have too big of an importance in US culture (Pledge of Allegiance, Star-Spangled-Banner).


Yeah baby, you split that hair! Split it right down the middle!

Seriously, labeling the burning of some symbols as "provocation" (and presumably illegal) but others as "reasonable protest" is very, very problematic. Who gets to decide which symbols become "provocative" and which "reasonable protest?" Can I decide that black power symbols are "provocative" or perhaps any Muslim symbols are? You end up with the first amendment tossed out the window very quickly.


Read and comprehend the post you idiot and stop shuffling verbs to suit your tiny mind.


Ok, point out where I was wrong.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:49
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#65
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
[quote]


If you think flying the Confederate flag is worthy of another civil war then you're the craziest person in the entire debate.


Uhm, yeah you might want to look up hyperbole.

This isn't even up for debate. If it was, you would be telling us the pros and cons of keeping the flag. I'm sensing you are struggling with that because all you have done is to remain desperately neutral.

And no, Southern families sitting on their porch reminiscing about when they used to have Negro slaves is not a 'pro' in case you are wondering.


I'm not remaining "desperately neutral" out of some weird desire to be a human version of Switzerland. I'm neutral because there are two sides here, and ultimately democratic principles should prevail. I'm fine with either the outcome of the flag coming down or staying up but I'm wholly against the notion that the PC police should get to decide something like this. The term "but that's racist!" shouldn't trump the democratic process.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:24
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#64
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3008
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Flying the confederate flag is a provocation, and burning it is a reasonable protest. Flags though have too big of an importance in US culture (Pledge of Allegiance, Star-Spangled-Banner).


Yeah baby, you split that hair! Split it right down the middle!

Seriously, labeling the burning of some symbols as "provocation" (and presumably illegal) but others as "reasonable protest" is very, very problematic. Who gets to decide which symbols become "provocative" and which "reasonable protest?" Can I decide that black power symbols are "provocative" or perhaps any Muslim symbols are? You end up with the first amendment tossed out the window very quickly.


Read and comprehend the post you idiot and stop shuffling verbs to suit your tiny mind.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:23
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#63
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Hold your horses, it hasn't happened yet so there is no proof of anything. The fact that it took a massacre to change people's opinions is a problem.


It really isn't. Now you're unhappy that people disagree with you over the colors of a freakin' cloth. By the way, I'm fairly ambivalent on this topic and see both sides here. But I find it ridiculous that some people feel as though there shouldn't be a debate and that this shouldn't be decided democratically, one side should just be declared "wrong" and that should be the end of it. That side lately has always been the left wing, by the way.

And realistically, it is only a matter of time before the flag goes away.


Well said. Democracy doesn't mean you get your way only. Many liberals seem to have forgotten this.


Yeah, they are at the stage of smugness where they're fine with doing away with freedom of speech and such because they're confident that they no longer work in their favor.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:22
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#62
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'll play. Both are symbols of a given group of people that are being targeted by those burning it. The Confederate Flag represents Southern rednecks that hold dear the Confederate heritage of the South. The Koran represents Muslims, particularly religious ones that will be PO'ed by seeing Korans burned. Either way, the result is the same - you antagonize a group you dislike, for whatever reason.

Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate.

The Koran represents all Muslims, both good and bad. The Confederate flag represents only one thing: a formed army comprised of states that wanted to secede due to their desire to keep black people as slaves.

If someone burns the Koran, they are doing it to piss off all Muslims. If someone burns the Confederate flag, they are doing it to piss off all racists.

Personally, I am no fan of burning anything. However, it is quite clear that the two are not remotely the same.


Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate. The Confederate flag is not solely a racist symbol. This is a deception trotted out by liberals who try to use this "proof" to end all debate. They try to pretend their opinion is objective fact.

In fact, a CNN poll released last Friday shows a majority of Americans, 57%, see the flag more as a symbol of Southern Pride than racism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/t ... -on-the-confederate-flag/

Just like you say the Koran represents all Muslims, good and bad, this flag represents those Southerners who have Southern pride, both good and bad (bad being the racists). Now you could call out the good confederate flag supporters for not calling the bad racist ones to task. But you could say the same thing about the good Muslims who get furious when someone draws a picture of Mohammed but fail to muster any outrage about ISIS.

And for what it's worth, I think the Confederate flag has no business flying on any government building. But I don't live in South Carolina. If a majority of them want to keep it, that's how democracy works.

And we have people like drifterx who just don't get it. You say "Do you have anything else to add in its favor other than 'that's what most people want'?

Are you that dense? Do you understand the concept of democracy? This is exactly how it works. So no, I don't need to add anything else because if that is in fact what most people want, I'm ok with the flag being there. It is their state.

And you look like a complete fool to compare flying a flag to slavery and segregation. Liberals still don't get it, but you don't have a civil right not to be offended. Though they sure try their darnedest to change that.

When you say "isn't accurate" are you reference the history and purpose or are you talking about its perception?

Perception of some really doesn't matter. I don't care what an opinion poll of southerners states. The fact of the matter is, this flag doesn't exist without people desiring to own others as slaves. That's the end of the argument. You can claim that people are trying to adopt it to mean something else, but that doesn't negate the sole purpose for which it was created and that purpose is pure and unadulterated hate.

Your point about Muslims not getting outraged at ISIS is a strawman built on Fox News lies. There are plenty of Muslims that are furious but they have about as much authority as you or I which means they go about their daily American lives the same as you and I.


But you're declaring what a flag symbolizes. How do you divorce that from perception when the symbolism of any object is, by definition, pure perception? And why would you conclude that slavery is the only reason the South has any interest in leaving the union? Many in the South today would be thrilled to leave the union. Do you conclude that they want to bring back slavery?

Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:19
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#61
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Flying the confederate flag is a provocation, and burning it is a reasonable protest. Flags though have too big of an importance in US culture (Pledge of Allegiance, Star-Spangled-Banner).


Yeah baby, you split that hair! Split it right down the middle!

Seriously, labeling the burning of some symbols as "provocation" (and presumably illegal) but others as "reasonable protest" is very, very problematic. Who gets to decide which symbols become "provocative" and which "reasonable protest?" Can I decide that black power symbols are "provocative" or perhaps any Muslim symbols are? You end up with the first amendment tossed out the window very quickly.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:16
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'll play. Both are symbols of a given group of people that are being targeted by those burning it. The Confederate Flag represents Southern rednecks that hold dear the Confederate heritage of the South. The Koran represents Muslims, particularly religious ones that will be PO'ed by seeing Korans burned. Either way, the result is the same - you antagonize a group you dislike, for whatever reason.

Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate.

The Koran represents all Muslims, both good and bad. The Confederate flag represents only one thing: a formed army comprised of states that wanted to secede due to their desire to keep black people as slaves.

If someone burns the Koran, they are doing it to piss off all Muslims. If someone burns the Confederate flag, they are doing it to piss off all racists.

Personally, I am no fan of burning anything. However, it is quite clear that the two are not remotely the same.


Sorry, but no. One could reasonably dislike Islam as a whole and burn the Koran as a result. One could also like the Confederate flag and have no desire to own slaves (a minority of Southern families did even when slavery was legal, and no one is actually looking in that direction today). One could also burn the confederate flag because of what it represented. Anyway, fact is that I stand by the notion that you can burn symbols or you can't.


Posted on: 2015/7/3 2:13
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2895
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Meanwhile more black churches burn and nobody cares. It has gotten past being offensive, it is now a menace.


No, it hasn't become a menace. But congratulations on using any convenient excuse to push your dictatorial agenda of banning things that you find "quite offensive."

Black churches have been burning. "But investigators say only two of the six blazes have been confirmed as arsons, not one has been declared a hate crime and they are not connected."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-b ... fires-20150702-story.html

Oh, and a black church was recently vandalized with racist messages. Luckily this time they caught the culprit: a black male.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/30 ... iscovered-outside-church/

And to the extent you are manufacturing some trend of whites attacking black people, the actual facts prove the opposite. Black on white crime occurs at a grossly disproportionate rate to white on black crime. Yet we don't see you telling us to fight that "menace."

But that's ultimately irrelevant to the main point. You don't have any right not to be offended by something so shut up and deal with it. Or try to change the minds of those who live there. I know you get a kick out of your self righteous fury as it makes you feel important and can carry out your fantasies of imposing your will on others, but that's just not how things work.

Oh, and the fact that you call ISIS a Muslim civil war destroys anything you have to say on that issue. Try telling that to the non-Muslims who have been beheaded by them. Muslims can and should report those who are becoming increasingly radicalized and call for violence. It always comes out that the new ISIS recruits were going to mosques and others noted their increasingly radicalized behavior. Of course, I also fault those around the NC shooter for not raising any concerns about him.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 0:12
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2895
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:

You keep harping on about democracy as if it is all good. Well it isn't. Your libertarian pals will tell you they don't like the tyranny of the majority especially if it infringes on the rights of the individual. If this country simply followed the majority, the south would still be segregated.



I see you continue to display your inner dictator. The phrase "tyranny of the majority" refers to trampling of civil rights. Slavery and segregation had to be abolished because they were trampling over the civil rights of minorities. That's the limit of democracy and popular opinion.

You are too much of a self righteous imbecile to understand that you don't have any right not to be offended, let alone a civil right. Because the Confederate Flag offends you, an out of stater, you think your offense entitles you to completely disregard the opinions of those who actually live there. Sorry, not how it works. Perhaps you'd be more happy moving to the liberal paradises of Western Europe, where "hate speech" is banned.

And you also don't get the point about Muslims and ISIS. The point is most Muslims don't do nearly enough to speak out against it, despite the fact that they continue to draw new members from the Muslim community. We hear no end to their outrage if somebody draws Mohammad, but a lot more crickets with ISIS. In fact, just the other week, the Prime Minister of Britain condemned British Muslims for "quietly condoning" ISIS. Guess he's an evil Fox News monster as well.

http://news.sky.com/story/1504813/cam ... y-condoning-islamic-state

Posted on: 2015/7/2 23:58
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#57
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
While the Confederate flag is indeed quite offensive it has been used in ways ISIS has used their symbols. The only difference being one is acknowledge as a Muslim terrorist while the other is what exactly? Try to fly an ISIS flag in this country and you will see people running like headless chickens. Meanwhile more black churches burn and nobody cares. It has gotten past being offensive, it is now a menace.

I don't know what it is exactly you want the 'Muslim community' to do. They are fighting ISIS. They are the ground forces fighting ISIS. They are the ones targeted most of the time by ISIS. Some Muslim leaders speak out against ISIS every time but I suppose it doesn't fit your narrative. It's a Muslim civil war, so if you think no one has spoken out against ISIS then you have not been paying attention. Entire Muslim countries and their leaders have vowed to crush ISIS for chrissakes!

Posted on: 2015/7/2 23:55
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Just like you say the Koran represents all Muslims, good and bad, this flag represents those Southerners who have Southern pride, both good and bad (bad being the racists). Now you could call out the good confederate flag supporters for not calling the bad racist ones to task. But you could say the same thing about the good Muslims who get furious when someone draws a picture of Mohammed but fail to muster any outrage about ISIS.

And for what it's worth, I think the Confederate flag has no business flying on any government building. But I don't live in South Carolina. If a majority of them want to keep it, that's how democracy works.

And we have people like drifterx who just don't get it. You say "Do you have anything else to add in its favor other than 'that's what most people want'?

Are you that dense? Do you understand the concept of democracy? This is exactly how it works. So no, I don't need to add anything else because if that is in fact what most people want, I'm ok with the flag being there. It is their state.

And you look like a complete fool to compare flying a flag to slavery and segregation. Liberals still don't get it, but you don't have a civil right not to be offended. Though they sure try their darnedest to change that.


You must be living under a rock because as far as the entire world knows, the ISIS conflict is a war between Muslims. The largest chunk of fighting is being carried out between Muslims who are for and against ISIS. Remind you of anything?

You keep harping on about democracy as if it is all good. Well it isn't. Your libertarian pals will tell you they don't like the tyranny of the majority especially if it infringes on the rights of the individual. If this country simply followed the majority, the south would still be segregated. And did you just say you are okay with people being racist just as long as they are in the majority? Dude, you need to fix your brain, fast.

There is nothing to be be proud about the Confederate flag, Southern or otherwise. It's a symbol of hate, and apparently a symbol of ignorance too. What exactly are you proud of? That you belong to the white majority? That makes it okay to accept racism? I wish the Confederate flag symbolizes something positive but it doesn't. The only thing it is good for is to remind of of an ugly past so we may never go back there again. Is that the pride you speak of? Doesn't seem like it.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 23:05
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1893
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Flying the confederate flag is a provocation, and burning it is a reasonable protest. Flags though have too big of an importance in US culture (Pledge of Allegiance, Star-Spangled-Banner).

The Pledge of Allegiance and the Star-Spangled Banner have two separate histories and paths. The Pledge does have a great story though...

Posted on: 2015/7/2 16:33
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3008
Offline
Flying the confederate flag is a provocation, and burning it is a reasonable protest. Flags though have too big of an importance in US culture (Pledge of Allegiance, Star-Spangled-Banner).

Posted on: 2015/7/2 16:08
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1893
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'll play. Both are symbols of a given group of people that are being targeted by those burning it. The Confederate Flag represents Southern rednecks that hold dear the Confederate heritage of the South. The Koran represents Muslims, particularly religious ones that will be PO'ed by seeing Korans burned. Either way, the result is the same - you antagonize a group you dislike, for whatever reason.

Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate.

The Koran represents all Muslims, both good and bad. The Confederate flag represents only one thing: a formed army comprised of states that wanted to secede due to their desire to keep black people as slaves.

If someone burns the Koran, they are doing it to piss off all Muslims. If someone burns the Confederate flag, they are doing it to piss off all racists.

Personally, I am no fan of burning anything. However, it is quite clear that the two are not remotely the same.


Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate. The Confederate flag is not solely a racist symbol. This is a deception trotted out by liberals who try to use this "proof" to end all debate. They try to pretend their opinion is objective fact.

In fact, a CNN poll released last Friday shows a majority of Americans, 57%, see the flag more as a symbol of Southern Pride than racism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/t ... -on-the-confederate-flag/

Just like you say the Koran represents all Muslims, good and bad, this flag represents those Southerners who have Southern pride, both good and bad (bad being the racists). Now you could call out the good confederate flag supporters for not calling the bad racist ones to task. But you could say the same thing about the good Muslims who get furious when someone draws a picture of Mohammed but fail to muster any outrage about ISIS.

And for what it's worth, I think the Confederate flag has no business flying on any government building. But I don't live in South Carolina. If a majority of them want to keep it, that's how democracy works.

And we have people like drifterx who just don't get it. You say "Do you have anything else to add in its favor other than 'that's what most people want'?

Are you that dense? Do you understand the concept of democracy? This is exactly how it works. So no, I don't need to add anything else because if that is in fact what most people want, I'm ok with the flag being there. It is their state.

And you look like a complete fool to compare flying a flag to slavery and segregation. Liberals still don't get it, but you don't have a civil right not to be offended. Though they sure try their darnedest to change that.

When you say "isn't accurate" are you reference the history and purpose or are you talking about its perception?

Perception of some really doesn't matter. I don't care what an opinion poll of southerners states. The fact of the matter is, this flag doesn't exist without people desiring to own others as slaves. That's the end of the argument. You can claim that people are trying to adopt it to mean something else, but that doesn't negate the sole purpose for which it was created and that purpose is pure and unadulterated hate.

Your point about Muslims not getting outraged at ISIS is a strawman built on Fox News lies. There are plenty of Muslims that are furious but they have about as much authority as you or I which means they go about their daily American lives the same as you and I.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 16:04
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2895
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'll play. Both are symbols of a given group of people that are being targeted by those burning it. The Confederate Flag represents Southern rednecks that hold dear the Confederate heritage of the South. The Koran represents Muslims, particularly religious ones that will be PO'ed by seeing Korans burned. Either way, the result is the same - you antagonize a group you dislike, for whatever reason.

Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate.

The Koran represents all Muslims, both good and bad. The Confederate flag represents only one thing: a formed army comprised of states that wanted to secede due to their desire to keep black people as slaves.

If someone burns the Koran, they are doing it to piss off all Muslims. If someone burns the Confederate flag, they are doing it to piss off all racists.

Personally, I am no fan of burning anything. However, it is quite clear that the two are not remotely the same.


Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate. The Confederate flag is not solely a racist symbol. This is a deception trotted out by liberals who try to use this "proof" to end all debate. They try to pretend their opinion is objective fact.

In fact, a CNN poll released last Friday shows a majority of Americans, 57%, see the flag more as a symbol of Southern Pride than racism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/t ... -on-the-confederate-flag/

Just like you say the Koran represents all Muslims, good and bad, this flag represents those Southerners who have Southern pride, both good and bad (bad being the racists). Now you could call out the good confederate flag supporters for not calling the bad racist ones to task. But you could say the same thing about the good Muslims who get furious when someone draws a picture of Mohammed but fail to muster any outrage about ISIS.

And for what it's worth, I think the Confederate flag has no business flying on any government building. But I don't live in South Carolina. If a majority of them want to keep it, that's how democracy works.

And we have people like drifterx who just don't get it. You say "Do you have anything else to add in its favor other than 'that's what most people want'?

Are you that dense? Do you understand the concept of democracy? This is exactly how it works. So no, I don't need to add anything else because if that is in fact what most people want, I'm ok with the flag being there. It is their state.

And you look like a complete fool to compare flying a flag to slavery and segregation. Liberals still don't get it, but you don't have a civil right not to be offended. Though they sure try their darnedest to change that.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 15:25

Edited by JCMan8 on 2015/7/2 15:42:00
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1893
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I'll play. Both are symbols of a given group of people that are being targeted by those burning it. The Confederate Flag represents Southern rednecks that hold dear the Confederate heritage of the South. The Koran represents Muslims, particularly religious ones that will be PO'ed by seeing Korans burned. Either way, the result is the same - you antagonize a group you dislike, for whatever reason.

Good attempt. Too bad it isn't accurate.

The Koran represents all Muslims, both good and bad. The Confederate flag represents only one thing: a formed army comprised of states that wanted to secede due to their desire to keep black people as slaves.

If someone burns the Koran, they are doing it to piss off all Muslims. If someone burns the Confederate flag, they are doing it to piss off all racists.

Personally, I am no fan of burning anything. However, it is quite clear that the two are not remotely the same.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 15:05
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/3/19 18:28
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 272
Offline
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Hold your horses, it hasn't happened yet so there is no proof of anything. The fact that it took a massacre to change people's opinions is a problem.


It really isn't. Now you're unhappy that people disagree with you over the colors of a freakin' cloth. By the way, I'm fairly ambivalent on this topic and see both sides here. But I find it ridiculous that some people feel as though there shouldn't be a debate and that this shouldn't be decided democratically, one side should just be declared "wrong" and that should be the end of it. That side lately has always been the left wing, by the way.

And realistically, it is only a matter of time before the flag goes away.


Well said. Democracy doesn't mean you get your way only. Many liberals seem to have forgotten this.

What possible debate can or should you have about the confederate flag? I has only had one meaning, as expressed here by the person who created it - http://mic.com/articles/121082/here-s ... f-the-man-who-designed-it

And if only conservatives also remembered democracy is not about only getting their way - http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bobby-jind ... ts-just-get-rid-the-court


you killed your own argument with those links

Posted on: 2015/7/2 14:50
utterly deplorable
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Liberals who have not remembered that democracy is not about only getting their way are in actual positions of power, have amassed in large numbers, and are unfortunately highly influential.


Everyone likes to say 'democracy' 'majority rule' because it favors their politics. These same people then conveniently ignores the presence of special interest groups from both right and left that influence government far more than the majority can or are even aware of. Either you are blissfully naive or a damned hypocrite.

So lets be real here. Are you really trying to say that government buildings should fly these racist flags because of 'democracy'? Do you have anything else to add in its favor other than 'that's what most people want'?

I am hoping that finally some sense will prevail in the South and take these flags down. I may have joked about it but how did with end slavery again? A civil war. Segregation? The Federal government had to act. Voting rights? Lets hope this time, they can solve this on their own.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 13:40
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#48
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/2 11:56
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 728
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Liberals who have not remembered that democracy is not about only getting their way are in actual positions of power, have amassed in large numbers, and are unfortunately highly influential.


If that worries you, keep in mind that conservatively minded individuals who work especially hard to manipulate the political process for their own gain most likely outnumber liberals both in numbers and money spent.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 12:50
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/2 11:56
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 728
Offline
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Your ancestors sounds like pure trash to me, nothing to be proud of.


Shitting on immigrants--how novel and progressive.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 12:49
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2895
Offline
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

And if only conservatives also remembered democracy is not about only getting their way - http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bobby-jind ... ts-just-get-rid-the-court


Nice try. Jindal is a fringe loon who polls near the bottom of a crowded field. No one takes that seriously, and if some do, they won't get anywhere.

Liberals who have not remembered that democracy is not about only getting their way are in actual positions of power, have amassed in large numbers, and are unfortunately highly influential.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 1:50
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 17:32
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 766
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Hold your horses, it hasn't happened yet so there is no proof of anything. The fact that it took a massacre to change people's opinions is a problem.


It really isn't. Now you're unhappy that people disagree with you over the colors of a freakin' cloth. By the way, I'm fairly ambivalent on this topic and see both sides here. But I find it ridiculous that some people feel as though there shouldn't be a debate and that this shouldn't be decided democratically, one side should just be declared "wrong" and that should be the end of it. That side lately has always been the left wing, by the way.

And realistically, it is only a matter of time before the flag goes away.


Well said. Democracy doesn't mean you get your way only. Many liberals seem to have forgotten this.

What possible debate can or should you have about the confederate flag? I has only had one meaning, as expressed here by the person who created it - http://mic.com/articles/121082/here-s ... f-the-man-who-designed-it

And if only conservatives also remembered democracy is not about only getting their way - http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bobby-jind ... ts-just-get-rid-the-court

Posted on: 2015/7/2 1:08
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
[quote]


If you think flying the Confederate flag is worthy of another civil war then you're the craziest person in the entire debate.


Uhm, yeah you might want to look up hyperbole.

This isn't even up for debate. If it was, you would be telling us the pros and cons of keeping the flag. I'm sensing you are struggling with that because all you have done is to remain desperately neutral.

And no, Southern families sitting on their porch reminiscing about when they used to have Negro slaves is not a 'pro' in case you are wondering.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 0:58
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
Unfortunately the confederate flag has been hijacked by the KKK and white supremacists - The flag should go as does the Nazi flag

Posted on: 2015/7/1 22:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 20:38
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2895
Offline
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Hold your horses, it hasn't happened yet so there is no proof of anything. The fact that it took a massacre to change people's opinions is a problem.


It really isn't. Now you're unhappy that people disagree with you over the colors of a freakin' cloth. By the way, I'm fairly ambivalent on this topic and see both sides here. But I find it ridiculous that some people feel as though there shouldn't be a debate and that this shouldn't be decided democratically, one side should just be declared "wrong" and that should be the end of it. That side lately has always been the left wing, by the way.

And realistically, it is only a matter of time before the flag goes away.


Well said. Democracy doesn't mean you get your way only. Many liberals seem to have forgotten this.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 21:54
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Yeah, I notice you are rather... lazy with your opinions but that's your right.

Where did you come up with me disagreeing with colors? Stop making shit up.

I say nothing is decided yet because the South has a rather sordid history of deciding, or rather having the rest of the country decide for them. If we're lucky, it wouldn't take another civil war this time around to take down a silly flag.


If you think flying the Confederate flag is worthy of another civil war then you're the craziest person in the entire debate.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 18:35
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Yeah, I notice you are rather... lazy with your opinions but that's your right.

Where did you come up with me disagreeing with colors? Stop making shit up.

I say nothing is decided yet because the South has a rather sordid history of deciding, or rather having the rest of the country decide for them. If we're lucky, it wouldn't take another civil war this time around to take down a silly flag.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 18:33
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Hold your horses, it hasn't happened yet so there is no proof of anything. The fact that it took a massacre to change people's opinions is a problem.


It really isn't. Now you're unhappy that people disagree with you over the colors of a freakin' cloth. By the way, I'm fairly ambivalent on this topic and see both sides here. But I find it ridiculous that some people feel as though there shouldn't be a debate and that this shouldn't be decided democratically, one side should just be declared "wrong" and that should be the end of it. That side lately has always been the left wing, by the way.

And realistically, it is only a matter of time before the flag goes away.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 18:24
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/5 2:25
Last Login :
2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 337
Offline
Hold your horses, it hasn't happened yet so there is no proof of anything. The fact that it took a massacre to change people's opinions is a problem.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 17:26
 Top 


Re: Burning the Confederate and Nazi banners in bustling Journal Square...
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/3/4 22:31
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 760
Offline
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
So when the governor of SC (local government) starts saying we should get rid of that crappy flag already, it's a sign that people are starting to wake up. It took a mass murdering, race war waging clown to wake them up but I guess there is hope for SC yet.

Yeah, it's a local government issue so they will drag their feet because of their own stubbornness so I can't really blame people for burning the flag in the meantime.


What's the problem? First it was the democratic opinion of the people to fly the flag, then opinion changed to have it taken down. Seems to be proof the system works as intended. As for people wanting to burn the flag, like I said, fine but it should be on their private property and not on public streets (same with anything people feel like burning).

Posted on: 2015/7/1 17:16
 Top 




(1) 2 3 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017