Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Roads torn up near VVP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This work has been going on for months, now there is a comment! The concrete work that was done near Five Corners on Newark Avenue through Liberty Avenue shows major cracks. This work was done August 2013.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 18:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/19 4:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
PSE&G will be milling paving once the work is done,

The "temporary" trench paving is being done incredibly poorly and they are leaving a huge mess of loose gravel and asphalt.

And if nobody else noticed, it seems that a lot of the trenching goes right down the middle of the recently-painted bikes lanes, making them seriously undesirable for bikers. As usual, brilliant planning all around...

According to Fulop PSE&G has not been planning to do anything to restore the streets - just leave them like they are now.

Must say that I support him for taking them to task - the street have been left in terrible condition.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _cities.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/8/17 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to say that boy, is that jack hammer loud, at 7:30 on the dot every morning. And from the looks of it on montgomery, at least another day or two of that horrible noise....

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 20:59
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Would anyone happen to know if the grass beds on these roadways being replaced by the faux brick?

Posted on: 2015/7/8 19:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
I second that opinion! Those fake bricks at the cross walks are pathetic! I would demand a refund and fire whomever hired that company.
Real cobblestones last CENTURIES!!

Posted on: 2015/7/8 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to co-sign these previously mentioned points:

-The faux brick is pathetic
-The people responsible for doing the patch work on Newark Ave in JSQ should be ashamed of themselves and have brought dishonor upon their houses for generations to come. I would also like to add, "How do you sleep at night?"
-The PSEG work is being incredibly poorly executed in terms of what streets they're doing and when and has basically rendered entire swathes of the city unnecessarily unparkable.

I would like to add the following: Whoever is driving the streetsweeper that follows the PSEG trenching operation that doesn't bother to spray water, but opts instead to create a gigantic dust storm that results in everything on the block being covered in a layer of silt and traffic tickets... that guy can fuck right off.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Latest update:

"PSEG will continue to work very closely with Dan Wrieden on any Historical Preservation features and is sensitive to avoiding blue stone sidewalks. We will continue to plan very closely with Mr Wrieden and keep the community informed of work scheduled with the Energy Strong Gas Main Upgrades in Jersey City.

Respectfully Submitted

Caren Freyer DeSouza
PSEG RPA Manager
Hudson County NJ
9732891840"

Posted on: 2015/7/7 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
jcgurl, We have an active email thread among neighbors in the area and the question about WHY so many streets are being closed at once (for work that moves at a snail's pace) and our concerns about sidewalks and foundation drilling was widely distributed late yesterday. About every city official and heads of various agencies involved with this were copied. We saw all the No Parking signs everywhere (posted less than 24 hours in advance and marked as "Emergency" even though it clearly wasn't). Here's the only response I've had so far, and it's about as useful as a screen door on a submarine!

"Good morning,
I like to provide all with the tracking number I generated for this issue it is W047520-070715.
Thank you,
Frank A, Scalcione
Mayor?s RRC"

Here's his direct email: Frank Scalcione [FScalcione@jcnj.org]

Posted on: 2015/7/7 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
If I remember correctly, the majority of the faux brick crosswalks downtown were hurriedly installed just prior to the mayoral election in what was, I assume, a bid for Healy to get some votes from the yuppies. It's a shame because there is a way to do stamped concrete that is durable and attractive.

I logged on here today to get the scoop (pun intended) on this ongoing PSE&G work because I'm very alarmed at the state of the streets. Has anyone here had any direct communication with them? Or heard anything official from city agencies? The idea that they might want to drill into my newly refurbished stoop makes me very upset.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
fake brick crosswalks that crumble and fall apart after 30-60 days

The fake brick crosswalks are the absolute worst of the bunch you listed. It's like someone decided to play a prank on the city by convincing them to put those in place knowing they would fall apart immediately. Not only is it tacky (score asphalt, then paint it, so it "looks" like brick!?!) but it hasn't held up well, AT ALL. The city should sue the contractor that did that work, and examine the process that chose and approved the work in the first place.

Quote:

It's almost universally, unbelievably bad. As if nobody cares about aesthetics whatsoever.

You say this as if you still had some lingering doubts about a clear fact. Obviously, NOBODY related to these projects cares about aesthetics.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have truly never seen worse flatwork anywhere, than in Jersey City. Terrible asphalt patching, crumbling poorly laid bluestone (Liberty Harbor brownstones area and Grove Plaza), fake brick crosswalks that crumble and fall apart after 30-60 days, concrete sidewalks that don't match the color of any other sidewalks in the area.

It's almost universally, unbelievably bad. As if nobody cares about aesthetics whatsoever.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 0:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
PSE&G will be milling paving once the work is done, but those trenches down the street are only the beginning.

It that actually happens, it would be good news, and an improvement over past digging by PSE&G.

JCMUA, different entity, are notoriously bad at restoring the holes that they open. They just jack hammer the street open and leave it in a real mess with temporary patches that fail the first winter, if not before.

Quote:

My foundation is about 13" of stone and brick and my bluestones in front are going to be trashed.

Would hate to see the blue stone sidewalks trashed across the city. The slabs are just about 2 inches thick, and the larger slabs can be lifted by 3 persons. Has anyone brought this up with PSE&G - i.e. asked them to temporarily lift them to the side?

It should be cheaper and easier for them too, rather than jack hammer open and then create a frame and pour concrete when restoring.

Would hate to see a one foot wide band of concrete across the side walk, where there used to be blue stone.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PSE&G will be milling paving once the work is done, but those trenches down the street are only the beginning. Once all of the main high pressure lines are installed they will be digging perpendicular trenches from the street into every building - as in digging up the sidewalk and right through your stoop area to the foundation wall, which they will then drill through TWICE. Once for the gas line intake (on the high-pressure line it's 15 PSI, vs. 0.05 PSI for the old low-pressure line) and the second for a pressure relief hose leading from the gas regulator back to the outside in front of the house in case the regulator fails.

My foundation is about 13" of stone and brick and my bluestones in front are going to be trashed.

The "temporary" trench paving is being done incredibly poorly and they are leaving a huge mess of loose gravel and asphalt.

And if nobody else noticed, it seems that a lot of the trenching goes right down the middle of the recently-painted bikes lanes, making them seriously undesirable for bikers. As usual, brilliant planning all around...

Posted on: 2015/6/24 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Would have been cool if they buried the power lines while they had all these trenches dug up.

Posted on: 2015/6/24 17:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Greenface wrote:
PSEG is replacing all the old gas lines in the neighborhood. They're doing the work around VVP as well as low lying areas near Hamilton park and in Hoboken. It's part of their efforts to make the system less susceptible to flooding. When the work is done they will connect all the buildings in the area to the new mains and then repave the streets poorly.

Statement fixed, with some added emphasis.

So the patches put down by PSE&G are already settling, which is a real problem at intersections where PSE&G opened a trench across the flow of traffic. For example in the intersection outside Torico's where the cut has now settled several inches.

Does anyone know if the city and JC DPW is planning to use its rights obtained under the much touted ordinance enacted earlier this year below to require the the utility to do block-to-block milling & repavement of these streets (or at least the intersections) - many of which were completely repaved in the last few years?

(Or are we the residents and tax payers going to have to live with these settling trenches for another 15 years until the next time the streets are repaved by the city using tax generated funds?)

Ordinance Description:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... quire_contractors_to.html

Ordinance Approval, second half of article:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... measures_naming_jers.html

Posted on: 2015/6/24 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenface wrote:
PSEG is replacing all the old gas lines in the neighborhood. They're doing the work around VVP as well as low lying areas near Hamilton park and in Hoboken. It's part of their efforts to make the system less susceptible to flooding. When the work is done they will connect all the buildings in the area to the new mains and then repave the streets poorly.

Statement fixed, with some added emphasis.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 17:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/11 18:46
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
PSEG is replacing all the old gas lines in the neighborhood. They're doing the work around VVP as well as low lying areas near Hamilton park and in Hoboken. It's part of their efforts to make the system less susceptible to flooding. When the work is done they will connect all the buildings in the area to the new mains and then repave the streets.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Monmouth St is torn up because the gas mains are getting replaced, so possibly similar work

They were doing water main work, not gas. That's why they had PVC pipes running all over the place.

Posted on: 2015/5/21 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
And they ruptured a water pipe on montgomery today. No water for most of the afternoon!!!

Posted on: 2015/5/21 0:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Does anybody know why they've torn up many of the roads around Van Vorst Park, with a 12" wide strip? The repaving has been done poorly, I wonder if it's temporary? It looks terrible.

Also, I feel like they did this exact thing on many of the roads a few years ago.

Wouldn't count in it being too temporary.
One side of County Road was torn a few months in a similar fashion and put back in the worst way possible. You basically can't drive on that side anymore, unless you don't care about wearing out your shocks. There seems to no one holding these utilities or whoever accountable to putting back the roads back properly.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Monmouth St is torn up because the gas mains are getting replaced, so possibly similar work

Posted on: 2015/5/20 14:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/21 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
I was thinking the exact same thing. I've never lived in a city where there is such constant road construction. And the streets are left in terrible condition afterwards, every time. Before I moved to JC, I had no idea cars even had something called a "sway bar", but thanks to the mogul-like quality of JC's streets, I've had to have the sway bar on my car repaired like 3 times in 8 years.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Also, I feel like they did this exact thing on many of the roads a few years ago.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Could it be this? If so I hope PSE&G does a better job repaving then they are doing on Newark Avenue from Tonnele Avenue to Five Corners. It is unbelievable that the city doesn?t go after PSE&G immediately to fix Newark Avenue.

PSE&G to replace gas mains in Jersey City

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... s_drill_tests_to_rep.html

Posted on: 2015/5/20 1:38

Roads torn up near VVP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does anybody know why they've torn up many of the roads around Van Vorst Park, with a 12" wide strip? The repaving has been done poorly, I wonder if it's temporary? It looks terrible.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 0:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017