Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Re: High-rise development at Metro Plaza (Shoprite, BJs, Pepboys)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
So it is true we lost ShopRite too?

I sure hope so. It's utterly mismanaged and completely out of sync with the current local demographics, let alone the ones that are on the way in. I would smile ear-to-ear if I never again had to deal with wasting 15 minutes of my life in the "express" lane while someone ahead of me argues with the cashier about a $1 coupon.

And the current local demographics are?

http://www.city-data.com/zips/07302.html

Posted on: 2016/3/1 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:

I sure hope so. It's utterly mismanaged and completely out of sync with the current local demographics, let alone the ones that are on the way in. I would smile ear-to-ear if I never again had to deal with wasting 15 minutes of my life in the "express" lane while someone ahead of me argues with the cashier about a $1 coupon.

And the current local demographics are?

Posted on: 2016/3/1 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/27 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
From the article:

"The proposal marks a shift from a policy Fulop, a regular critic of Downtown tax breaks when he was a councilman, implemented in December 2013 that he said at the time would shift long-term abatements away from the lucrative Downtown to other areas of the city."

What a surprise. Councilman Fulop says one thing (very loudly), Mayor Fulop does another.
i figured it would only be a matter of time before fulop turned into healy II...why does this project need a 20 -year abatements...doesn't his guidelines state 10-15?

Posted on: 2015/7/25 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
From the article:

"The proposal marks a shift from a policy Fulop, a regular critic of Downtown tax breaks when he was a councilman, implemented in December 2013 that he said at the time would shift long-term abatements away from the lucrative Downtown to other areas of the city."

What a surprise. Councilman Fulop says one thing (very loudly), Mayor Fulop does another.
i figured it would only be a matter of time before fulop turned into healy II...why does this project need a 20 -year abatements...doesn't his guidelines state 10-15?

Have we reached a point where granting abatements is considered SOP and that denial could result in a lawsuit that the city could lose? Downtown JC has changed from a cheap hooker to a desirable courtesan. Developers should be paying us. (sorry for the sexist analogy, if you can come up with a better one, please share).

Posted on: 2015/7/25 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
From the article:

Posted on: 2015/7/25 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
From the article:

Posted on: 2015/7/25 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

20-year tax breaks planned for Downtown Jersey City towers

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
July 24, 2015 at  6:55 PM

JERSEY CITY — The Fulop administration is asking the City Council next week to approve 20-year tax breaks for a two-tower, 800-condo project set for Marin Boulevard in the city's Downtown.

The proposed deal, set for initial approval at a special council meeting on Tuesday night, would also grant the developer, a subsidiary of Forest City, $20 million in redevelopment bonds, an unusual agreement that city officials also granted to the three-tower Journal Squared project in 2013.

The abatement would allow Forest City to eschew normal taxation in exchange for paying the city 7 percent of its annual gross revenue on the $449 million project. The amount the developer expects to pay the city in its first year of operation is about $920,000 for each tower.

In June, the developer received $40 million in state tax credits for the first tower.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _downtown_jersey_cit.html

Posted on: 2015/7/25 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i've been hearing rumors for 6 months now but today I was talking to old timers in the neighborhood and they're saying it's been 5 yrs now all the paperwork etc should be done soon before they start bulldozing Shop Rite for constructions.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
Maybe Jersey City politicians don't think people in Downtown, Newport, Waterfront do not go grocery shopping?

Full of idiots running this city!

Sorry you've been living under a rock for the past 6 months and never bothered to read the thread that you are commenting in. If you had, you'd see the Shoprite isn't going anywhere.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
Maybe Jersey City politicians don't think people in Downtown, Newport, Waterfront do not go grocery shopping?

Sorry you've been living under a rock for the past 6 months and never bothered to read the thread that you are commenting in. If you had, you'd see the Shoprite isn't going anywhere.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/25 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where do they proposed people downtown and waterfront go food shopping?! Many do not have cars since they forgo getting one with problematic parking space.

The city and the Mayor is full of it. There are far more empty skyscraper apt/condo infesting downtown jersey city and only one necessity grocery store for the rich and poor.

So, tell me, where do the politicians think the people will have to schlep to buy groceries? Most of the people living in Downtown, Newport and the waterfront do not own cars!

Posted on: 2015/7/25 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Google comes to photograph the Pep Boys project: 20150613-_IGP4107 And gets photographed in turn: 20150613-_IGP4092 Alas, it'll take 6 months to a year to get the data processed and up on the web. But it does seem this is the first time they've done this kind of thing, photograph a building full of graffiti. Jersey City, Number 1!

Posted on: 2015/6/13 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
20150605-_IGP3963 For what it's worth, Forest City and G&S Investors (the developers of this site) have partnered with Green Villain on putting graffiti inside the old Pesp Boys building before it gets demolished. Pep Boys worked with us on the exterior. 70 artists, 30,000 sq ft of walls (inside and outside), and a century's worth of expertise. 20150605-_IGP3924 Here's a press release on the project (PDF). Google's using their Trekker technology (developed for Street View) to photograph in interior and exterior. All that a more will be online in the near future and Green Villian's exhibition in Google's online Cultural Institute. We're be having an open house on Saturday, June 27, starting at 12 noon: DJ's, food, and wall-to-wall art. 20150610-_IGP4044 20150605-_IGP3917

Posted on: 2015/6/12 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I'm happy to see some affordable housing included.

They also launched a website for the project.

http://www.hudsonexchangejc.com/

From the link:
Thanks to feedback and input from the community, our new plan will create a more accessible and unique environment.
Did any one participate in these feedback sessions or did the local communty associations participate? I ask because the survey in the link seems so preliminary rather than an attempt to get clarification or refinemant on already collected feedback.

After taking the survey, I simply assumed they are trying to gauge people's preference for retail options. Personally, I think more restaurants, and some clothing options, would be nice. We don't really need big box retailers (we already have a Best Buy and Target less than a mile away from there, plus all the other retailers in the mall) so a few more upscale options would be welcome. Despite all the improvements in Newport Mall over the past few years, it is still mostly crappy stores. As for restaurants in that area, there aren't many worth their space. Chili's is decent is you happen to be in the mood for causal dining, but VB3 is a hit-or-miss shit show, and there is nothing else close by. Within a 5 - 10 minute walk, you have Fire & Oak (decent to below average) and some shuttered spots (Azucar, closed for almost a year, rumored to become another White Star, and Skylark Diner, formerly South City Grill, which has been closed for a while), along with Bertucci's (decent for what it is) and Batello (really great!) and Taphaus (decent food, great beers, and even better views).
wouldn'tit be great if developers of metro plaza developed their site to complement the mall so that these two properties could cross pollinate each other

I think it is safe to say that the targeted demographic of these new towers would be 100% against THAT idea. The people they hope they attract are not the same customer that would patronize the mall. If the developers of Metro Plaza really manage to lure some higher end retailers, that could accelerate the eventual demise of Newport Mall.
i disagree. i shop at macy's, nordstrom but i'm also happy shopping at big lots or ch martin or dollar general. i seldom , if ever, patronize the food court but i do go to the mcdonalds/starbucks at the mall

To what exactly are you disagreeing? With those shopping habits, you are obviously not part of the demographic they are targeting.

Posted on: 2015/6/11 9:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

From the link:
Thanks to feedback and input from the community, our new plan will create a more accessible and unique environment.
Did any one participate in these feedback sessions or did the local communty associations participate? I ask because the survey in the link seems so preliminary rather than an attempt to get clarification or refinemant on already collected feedback.

After taking the survey, I simply assumed they are trying to gauge people's preference for retail options. Personally, I think more restaurants, and some clothing options, would be nice. We don't really need big box retailers (we already have a Best Buy and Target less than a mile away from there, plus all the other retailers in the mall) so a few more upscale options would be welcome. Despite all the improvements in Newport Mall over the past few years, it is still mostly crappy stores. As for restaurants in that area, there aren't many worth their space. Chili's is decent is you happen to be in the mood for causal dining, but VB3 is a hit-or-miss shit show, and there is nothing else close by. Within a 5 - 10 minute walk, you have Fire & Oak (decent to below average) and some shuttered spots (Azucar, closed for almost a year, rumored to become another White Star, and Skylark Diner, formerly South City Grill, which has been closed for a while), along with Bertucci's (decent for what it is) and Batello (really great!) and Taphaus (decent food, great beers, and even better views).
wouldn'tit be great if developers of metro plaza developed their site to complement the mall so that these two properties could cross pollinate each other

I think it is safe to say that the targeted demographic of these new towers would be 100% against THAT idea. The people they hope they attract are not the same customer that would patronize the mall. If the developers of Metro Plaza really manage to lure some higher end retailers, that could accelerate the eventual demise of Newport Mall.
i disagree. i shop at macy's, nordstrom but i'm also happy shopping at big lots or ch martin or dollar general. i seldom , if ever, patronize the food court but i do go to the mcdonalds/starbucks at the mall

Posted on: 2015/6/11 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

From the link:

Posted on: 2015/6/11 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

From the link:

Posted on: 2015/6/10 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

From the link:

Posted on: 2015/6/10 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

From the link:

Posted on: 2015/6/10 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Seriously, some of the people posting here are being chicken little types with all this blanket posturing against cars and parking lots. Yes, I agree that surface lots can be an eyesore and a blight on cities when allowed to proliferate out of control, but ALL cities need parking, for residents and visitors. Parking can be successfully integrated into new development in a way that is not distracting or that negatively impacts the communities.

The point is we don't have enough parking

First of all, you are WRONG. There is PLENTY of parking all over DTJC. When people say there isn't enough parking available, what they are really saying is that there isn't enough FREE PARKING.

Quote:

Parking doesn't generate enough of a profit margin for developers when you can have an apartment the same size of 3 parking bays or less and generate 300 - 400 K in some parts of JC.

This is also WRONG. A regular parking spot around these areas measures around 7.5 x 20 feet. That's 150sf. The going rate for nice properties in the nice areas in DTJC is about $500/sf, and as high as $700 for places in luxury buildings. Deeded parking spots will run you anywhere from 25K to 50K. Consider that a parking lot is as easy a construction job as you can find (no plumbing to worry about per spot, no electrical wiring, nothing but pavement and white stripes) and they require almost zero maintenance. Even at $200/sf, it is a GREAT deal for a developer to sell spots. What's an even better deal? To rent them out in the form of $150 to $200 per month! After 15 years of renting the same spot, the developer has pocketed a nice 30K sum.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Seriously, some of the people posting here are being chicken little types with all this blanket posturing against cars and parking lots. Yes, I agree that surface lots can be an eyesore and a blight on cities when allowed to proliferate out of control, but ALL cities need parking, for residents and visitors. Parking can be successfully integrated into new development in a way that is not distracting or that negatively impacts the communities.

The point is we don't have enough parking - Parking doesn't generate enough of a profit margin for developers when you can have an apartment the same size of 3 parking bays or less and generate 300 - 400 K in some parts of JC.
Land is at a premium and shortage with cityhall not putting land aside for parking hubs run by the city - Even parking hubs don't work that well if you go strip shopping and might need to walk blocks away to get there. Businesses aren't complaining as they have an increasing local population around them whereas residents that have a 2 car family struggle and forget about friends visiting by car - If 10% of all apartments had a visitor by car, the total area would be swamped. We also forget that with population growth comes a higher demand on services .... thus more service vans, postal vans, delivery vans etc etc. Ask yourself if your apartment complex have off street parking for such services?

Posted on: 2015/6/9 22:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
What the Path will look like....Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/6/9 21:49
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Thank you for posting that link! It's nice to be able to see the plans as approved and currently envisioned. The website includes a link to an online survey, which I hope people will fill out. It only takes about one minute to do so.

As for the affordable housing component, it is not clear if the commitment extends beyond the 20% in the original Phase One building. Are they committing to additional units? Or, just those 85 units? Right or wrong, many prospective tenants may/will be turned off by that.

Posted on: 2015/6/9 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/9 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

Developers behind a planned 35-story residential tower in the heart of the Downtown will receive $40 million in state tax credits for the $223 million project.

The state tax deal, approved this morning by the state Economic Development Authority, will pave the way for 85 affordable units, 20 percent of the building's 421 total, according to developer Abe Naparstek,

Naparstek, working for a subsidiary of Forest City, the developer behind Brooklyn's Barclays Center, told The Jersey Journal that without the tax credits ? to be paid over 10 years ? it would not be financially "feasible" to offer as many affordable units as the plan now has.

Market-rate rents for the building are expected to range from $2,325 for one-bedroom apartments to $3,500 for two-bedroom units. Rents on the affordable units will range from $954 for one-bedroom units to $1,194 for two-bedroom apartments.

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/9 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
It would be nice if Shoprite offers online shopping and free (or reduced cost) delivery, much like Fresh Direct. I think they can compete.

Um. THEY DO.

Barely.. and only if you want to wait 2+ hours after your delivery window closes without any status update calls

Posted on: 2015/2/9 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

This is a good post but I think you are wasting your time. There is a group of closed minded morons of the mindset CARS = BAD!!!

I don't think there is anything you could say to change their mind. The important thing is the new development has plenty of space for parking.

More like cars at the expense of a street grid and pedestraians = bad. Surface parking lots have no place in a dense city and parking garages should be sized for actual use instead of just assuming each residence gets a car (which simply isn't true DT).

I have seen literally no single person claim these buildings should have zero parking. I have seen a lot of people bitching about losing parking and a Shoprite, neither of which are actually part of the plan.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Funny that this conversation has gone on the way that it has... it has already been established that parking WILL BE part of the development (not as a surface lot, but as part of one or more of the buildings that will make up the proposed development.) Likewise, it is mind boggling that people keep talking about how JC will eventually be just like NYC, as if NYC was some sort of monolith concept of a carless city. Once you venture outside of Manhattan, and some of the waterfront areas in BK, you soon discover that TONS of people have cars. There are places in Queens (and, even Brooklyn!) that not having a car is actually a problem. And, some places in Queens and Brooklyn do make accommodations for cars without none of this knee jerk, militant mantra of "cars are evil, must be stopped at all costs" mentality. It is all about smart development and accommodating people's needs to the extent possible or practical. As someone else mentioned, in Queens there is a shopping complex in Rego Park that includes many big-box stores, restaurants and shops in one tight development that allows for people to arrive by foot, car or mass transit. You have similar concepts in BK. Heck, even Manhattan has one such shopping complex: East River Plaza, on the far east side of Harlem. You have a Target, Costco, Best Buy, restaurants, etc. It includes parking (gasp!) and Manhattan hasn't collapsed because of this.

This is a good post but I think you are wasting your time. There is a group of closed minded morons of the mindset CARS = BAD!!!

I don't think there is anything you could say to change their mind. The important thing is the new development has plenty of space for parking.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Funny that this conversation has gone on the way that it has... it has already been established that parking WILL BE part of the development (not as a surface lot, but as part of one or more of the buildings that will make up the proposed development.) Likewise, it is mind boggling that people keep talking about how JC will eventually be just like NYC, as if NYC was some sort of monolith concept of a carless city. Once you venture outside of Manhattan, and some of the waterfront areas in BK, you soon discover that TONS of people have cars. There are places in Queens (and, even Brooklyn!) that not having a car is actually a problem. And, some places in Queens and Brooklyn do make accommodations for cars without none of this knee jerk, militant mantra of "cars are evil, must be stopped at all costs" mentality. It is all about smart development and accommodating people's needs to the extent possible or practical. As someone else mentioned, in Queens there is a shopping complex in Rego Park that includes many big-box stores, restaurants and shops in one tight development that allows for people to arrive by foot, car or mass transit. You have similar concepts in BK. Heck, even Manhattan has one such shopping complex: East River Plaza, on the far east side of Harlem. You have a Target, Costco, Best Buy, restaurants, etc. It includes parking (gasp!) and Manhattan hasn't collapsed because of this.

Similarly, DTJC is a relatively small section of JC and the areas that have high rise buildings an even smaller section of JC. This seems a perfectly appropriate development for the area.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 15:59

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017