Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City has some of the most expensive wine in the country; WTH!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/20 17:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
Wallethub is a for-profit website, and like so many others, they know that if they put out a ranking like this one as a press-release, it will be picked up by media outlets and will get them lots of publicity. Don't be fooled into thinking this has any journalistic integrity whatsoever.

As ThirstyQuaker said, their methodology is very suspect, because they're not comparing prices for the exact same basket of wines, they're comparing an average that they've computed using some mysterious methodology. But they didn't set out to be journalists, they set out to make money, so I can't blame them!

If the price swings were really this dramatic, there would be wine arbitrage running rampant.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I go to Cool Vines to get rarer items, buy gifts, and experience unrivaled service quality. A real gem.

I go to Buy Rite to fill up on staples.

My pricing comparison is always Manhattan, since that's where I moved from, and JC prices are very competitive or better than the city.

As for pricing itself, it is all relative right. You're paying for the convenience and the proximity.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My point was in response to FAbike taking about how gentrification leads to high prices; one of the largest and cheapest booze retailers in the nation is about 100 feet away from one of the most affluent towns in the nation.

Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The Wine Library is in Springfield, NJ, steps away from Short Hills-and they have, generally, great prices. They base their prices on margin and volume. Not many places in JC have the space available for that method. (And when you have liquor stores with cashiers behind bulletproof glass, you know the prices/selection won't be great.

Happily in DTJC we have several good liquor/wine shops - cool vines, madame claude, village and the one @ Jersey and mercer. most of us, I assume, can afford a few bucks more to support local businesses.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The Wine Library is in Springfield, NJ, steps away from Short Hills-and they have, generally, great prices. They base their prices on margin and volume. Not many places in JC have the space available for that method. (And when you have liquor stores with cashiers behind bulletproof glass, you know the prices/selection won't be great.

Happily in DTJC we have several good liquor/wine shops - cool vines, madame claude, village and the one @ Jersey and mercer. most of us, I assume, can afford a few bucks more to support local businesses.

I think Thirsty Quaker hit it right on the head: we do not have any concrete any information about the methodology. Who is to say that the wine selected was representative of availability across all regions? Maybe the wine they selected was on sale in a particular city or region, leading to price discrepancies. The better way to do this is to have a selection of 12 bottles, similar in style and price point, and then reach some conclusions from THAT.

In general, I find we have a GREAT selection of wine stores in DTJC and, if you are knowledgeable about your wine and prices, you can find some great deals. My number one spot is BuyRite: the breadth of their inventory is the best in all of JC. Their prices are always good, and I can load up on liquor, beer and wine in a single stop. But, I have patronized the wine shop in Paulus Hook (their wine selection is also good, and they carry some liquor that I enjoy) and Jersey Wines (the owners are SUPER nice and will engage in a conversation to get a feel for your taste and always make spot on recommendations). The various other shops sprinkled throughout downtown are decent in a pinch.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/20 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
It's not specifically wine. It's not liquor stores. Look at where JC lands on groceries...

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-wor ... ies-for-your-wallet/7522/

Posted on: 2014/10/20 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
My beer of choice is $3 more at Thirsty Quaker than the Mom and Pop store a few blocks closer.

Just sayin'.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds surprising, but I'm a bit skeptical of their methodology, which wasn't explained in the WalletHub summary. It just says "a bottle of white table wine" was compared. What does that mean? Any thorough study would have a full basket of wines that are widely available throughout the US. Does Jersey City have the most expensive wine prices because JC prices are high, or because most wine shops sell high-end liquors? I'd say that even the most expensive shop in JC is selling for less than most stores in Manhattan. I imagine the wines being sold in Indianapolis aren't the same wines being sold in Portland.

Same with the beer, what beer are they comparing? A 6-pack of Abita costs about $10 in JC or any other city in the US, but it's $16 in Manhattan. Is St Louis the cheapest because they just have cheap beer, or because everyone is drinking Anheuser-Busch?

Posted on: 2014/10/19 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
THe prices are higher for the same reason everything is more expensive in JC - the cost of real estate. Think how much it costs a business owner to rent a storefront in downtown JC vs. Springfield NJ (using Monroe's example). The business owner has to make up the difference somehow.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/19 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's to be expected - With gentrification comes high prices on everything - The city's median income increased, and so do the prices.
We should be begging for more housing that is cost effective for the middle and lower income earners if you want cheap prices - Demographics now dictates pricing

Posted on: 2014/10/19 0:39
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
With the exception of Buy Rite, aren't all the liquor stores basically mom and pop stores? Typically they are more expensive. I almost never buy wine locally because of the price.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 0:28

Jersey City has some of the most expensive wine in the country; WTH!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/19 0:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: