Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
59 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 59

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: What is your favorite street in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
When I was downtown, the stretch of Mercer starting at Barrow and continuing west was always a favorite spot (loved walking to the library). One of my favorite shots from a snow storm ~3 years ago on Mercer:

Resized Image

Now that I'm up in the Heights, there's so many cool pockets, it's hard to say an entire street. Sherman west of Summit is really awesome, as is the houses immediately around Sherman on Summit.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
People worry that oaks are going to lift the sidewalks and damage basements and foundations, if they ever manage to grow big.

Robin.

I've seen new trees planted directly on top of gas and sewer lines, and directly under power cables and other utility runs. I have no problem with new trees, just the zero consideration given to their type and placement.

Yes, the contractors the city hires are the worst. My pear would have had to come down anyway when I finally do sewer work since they planted it right on top of my sewer line. The trees around McNair haven't grown in 16 years and barely survive because the pits clearly weren't properly prepared. Those trees obviously can't get their roots to the very high Downtown water table, and are half wilted all the time.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 17:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The one without the wind.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
People worry that oaks are going to lift the sidewalks and damage basements and foundations, if they ever manage to grow big.

Robin.

I've seen new trees planted directly on top of gas and sewer lines, and directly under power cables and other utility runs. I have no problem with new trees, just the zero consideration given to their type and placement.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 15:47

Edited by dtjcview on 2014/5/7 16:05:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cocopele wrote:
Sorry that I don't have a picture, but First St. between Brunswick and Coles and also Monmouth between Columbus and Second St. are very pretty tree lined row homed streets. They are especially beautiful from late April through mid May (or whenever the weather decides it is spring) as the Bradford Pears are in bloom. Now the flower petals have fallen and the trees are green. Still pretty, but not as great as those 3-4 weeks. Also, hurricane Sandy and a few bad winters caused the city to trim/prune a lot of those trees since they surrounded wires so they aren't as large as they once were. Actually the same type of pruning in happening along Columbus today between Monmouth and Jersey.

I agree with the poster(s) that mentioned Jersey Ave with the iron gates and stoops. At time reminds me of certain streets in New Orleans

PSE&G is out butchering the trees along First Street today, so this stretch won't be pretty for much longer.

(Seriously, WHY do they have to prune this way? I understand they're somewhat constrained by the fact that most of the trees weren't properly pruned as they grew, so they're not in great shape to begin with, but the way they prune - the tuning fork and/or lopsided trim approach - is not only incredibly ugly but it both weakens the trees and makes the power line interference WORSE.

Making a big opening in the middle of a tree will cause it to quickly sprout new growth there, since that area suddenly gets a lot more sun with a lot less competition from other branches. So new branches will shoot back out toward the power lines, recreating the original problem within a couple of years. Except that now the quick-growth branches are weaker and thinner/more spindly than the original, slower-growing branches were, making them MORE prone to breaking off into the power lines during a storm.

tl;dr Within two years, branches in the trimmed areas have regrown around the power lines, but the new branches are weaker and more prone to breakage than the original ones were. How is that helping?!)

Posted on: 2014/5/7 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Qiu001 wrote:
Think I have it this time Bergen Hill section Summit and Astor place.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

I looked at a few houses over there back in 2011, if this area had a closer light rail I would so be there. Every time I ride my bike through there I always stop to take it all in. Absolutely beautiful.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 22:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Think I have it this time Bergen Hill section Summit and Astor place.
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/6 21:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

cocopele wrote:
Sorry that I don't have a picture, but First St. between Brunswick and Coles and also Monmouth between Columbus and Second St. are very pretty tree lined row homed streets. They are especially beautiful from late April through mid May (or whenever the weather decides it is spring) as the Bradford Pears are in bloom. Now the flower petals have fallen and the trees are green. Still pretty, but not as great as those 3-4 weeks. Also, hurricane Sandy and a few bad winters caused the city to trim/prune a lot of those trees since they surrounded wires so they aren't as large as they once were. Actually the same type of pruning in happening along Columbus today between Monmouth and Jersey.

I agree with the poster(s) that mentioned Jersey Ave with the iron gates and stoops. At time reminds me of certain streets in New Orleans

Those pears you admire are pretty for a few weeks, but they're terrible street trees, and JC parks and Forestry knows it. The workers explained to me as they cut down what was left of mine that they grow too spindly with too many branches without careful, constant pruning, and are way too prone to split with damage to home and cars. The pretty cherries are too low and wide, they brush the heads of pedestrians and don't grow high enough to be out of reach of tall trucks which will tear the branches off of any tree lower than 11'. It happened to my late pear and my maple a number of times. I don't know why they won't plant oaks, probably because people would complain about the acorns and squirrels. I've read that oaks support more biodiversity than any other tree.

Understood. I was just answering what my eyes like seeing.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
People worry that oaks are going to lift the sidewalks and damage basements and foudations, if they ever manage to grow big.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

cocopele wrote:

Those pears you admire are pretty for a few weeks, but they're terrible street trees, and JC parks and Forestry knows it. The workers explained to me as they cut down what was left of mine that they grow too spindly with too many branches without careful, constant pruning, and are way too prone to split with damage to home and cars. The pretty cherries are too low and wide, they brush the heads of pedestrians and don't grow high enough to be out of reach of tall trucks which will tear the branches off of any tree lower than 11'. It happened to my late pear and my maple a number of times. I don't know why they won't plant oaks, probably because people would complain about the acorns and squirrels. I've read that oaks support more biodiversity than any other tree.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 17:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/29 2:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/6 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/27 20:26
From Woodbridge, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Not defending the owners that don't replace fallen trees, but one reason trees aren't replaced is because it is seen as just another chore that needs to be done in the Fall when the leaves drop.

Also, as was mentioned, too many trees have fallen victim to new driveways.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
Brewster, you're right on! Even a street of so-so houses is transformed with trees. But in Jersey City the impulse always seems to be to pave everything over.

Maybe that would change if people realized that street trees mean higher property values.

Wow, you just tied the tree issue to the glorious illegal driveway thread! If the street is nothing but driveways, how can you have trees?

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, you're right on! Even a street of so-so houses is transformed with trees. But in Jersey City the impulse always seems to be to pave everything over.

Maybe that would change if people realized that street trees mean higher property values.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Tough call. For me it's probably Belmont Ave from JFK down to Lincoln Park.

Agreed.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 11:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Bergen Hill area Summit and Astor placeResized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/6 10:15

Edited by Qiu001 on 2014/5/6 10:36:32
Edited by Qiu001 on 2014/5/6 10:37:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MediaAvid wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Explain something to me: what all these streets have in common is beautiful homes and tree lined sidewalks. The homes are hard to replicate, but trees just need to be planted. Why did the longtime JC residents let their streetscape go to hell? My old school "Italian village" neighbors said when I planted a tree "yeah, we used to have a tree, but it fell down." But I just got a shrug when I asked "so why didn't you plant a new one?". And I got the same shrug when I asked why not plant one now. They sold and the guy who condoed the house didn't plant one either, though he clearly wanted to get top value from the property.

Just blocks away from those pretty blocks of Jersey or 7th, you've got blocks with few trees, or very young trees planted by newcomers. Especially with the city program trees are cheap, and have got to return HUGE value, but people don't seem universally in favor.

And then the city really screws the pooch planting terrible city trees like the ornamental pears and cherries. I despair.

As for blocks, I've been getting pretty partial to Reservoir between Palisade and Webster. It has the classic JC sublime next to tacky. The house on the left shows people once cared what things looked like, the one on the right proudly declares "NO ONE GIVES A SHIT!!"

Resized Image

wow that's a nice looking crib, the one on the right is awful. I really hate those CH Martin houses. We have a few up here that look silly as hell, stuffed between a few brownstones.

The house on the right was originally the driveway for the house on the left. The guy bought the property and wanted to knock down the beautiful house and build three houses. He had pressure from the neighbors. He compromised with taking away the driveway and large garage and built one home. He renovated the home on the left. He removed the trees and grass that were in the front yard and made a driveway. House is 4 units, one for each floor. The floor plans are U shaped because of the stairwell in the middle.

Great to know the story, thanks. Lots of places in JC weren't as lucky and have rows of these obscenities. Future generations will curse us for letting these be built for no other reason than greed on one side and simple minded resistance to an aesthetic code on the other. No Hoboken infill in the last 2 decades is this ugly.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 2:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Explain something to me: what all these streets have in common is beautiful homes and tree lined sidewalks. The homes are hard to replicate, but trees just need to be planted. Why did the longtime JC residents let their streetscape go to hell? My old school "Italian village" neighbors said when I planted a tree "yeah, we used to have a tree, but it fell down." But I just got a shrug when I asked "so why didn't you plant a new one?". And I got the same shrug when I asked why not plant one now. They sold and the guy who condoed the house didn't plant one either, though he clearly wanted to get top value from the property.

Just blocks away from those pretty blocks of Jersey or 7th, you've got blocks with few trees, or very young trees planted by newcomers. Especially with the city program trees are cheap, and have got to return HUGE value, but people don't seem universally in favor.

And then the city really screws the pooch planting terrible city trees like the ornamental pears and cherries. I despair.

As for blocks, I've been getting pretty partial to Reservoir between Palisade and Webster. It has the classic JC sublime next to tacky. The house on the left shows people once cared what things looked like, the one on the right proudly declares "NO ONE GIVES A SHIT!!"

Resized Image

wow that's a nice looking crib, the one on the right is awful. I really hate those CH Martin houses. We have a few up here that look silly as hell, stuffed between a few brownstones.

The house on the right was originally the driveway for the house on the left. The guy bought the property and wanted to knock down the beautiful house and build three houses. He had pressure from the neighbors. He compromised with taking away the driveway and large garage and built one home. He renovated the home on the left. He removed the trees and grass that were in the front yard and made a driveway. House is 4 units, one for each floor. The floor plans are U shaped because of the stairwell in the middle.

Posted on: 2014/5/6 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Sherman Pl. between Summit & Sanford. Tree lined & some lovely old homes.

I am not familial with Sherman place, here a shot of Summit...

http://www.getnj.com/jerseycity/heights/sumvictoriangrev250txt.jpg

I love it!

Posted on: 2014/5/6 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/6 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/6 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Sherman Pl. between Summit & Sanford. Tree lined & some lovely old homes.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 23:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Woodbridge, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Stevens Ave. west of Sterling Ave. (in Greenville) is another favorite of mine. Little 1920s-era row houses on a tree-lined street -- on both sides of the street.

There is a service road in back for deliveries and garbage collection; and parking.

Yes, there are some nice areas in JC even in Greenville.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/5 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This street is also elegant in Bergen Lafayette Madison ave.

Resized Image

And the start of Ocean ave... I must say JC has some pretty streets.

Resized Image

and of course Astor Place

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
Jersey btwn 7th and 8th (the wrought-iron work and building exteriors of the brownstones closest to the park) and 7th St between Jersey and Erie (it's just a beautifully shaded street).

Great pick, even when dtjc was a scary place that section always looked good. Classic.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey btwn 7th and 8th (the wrought-iron work and building exteriors of the brownstones closest to the park) and 7th St between Jersey and Erie (it's just a beautifully shaded street).

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TomEvans wrote:
Fulton Avenue between Bergen and the Boulevard (in bad old evil Greenville).

This is where I grew up.

It hasn't been a part of the rebirth of Jersey City (read "Downtown") but in the 1960s, it was pretty close to heaven. Large old beautiful brick houses, huge old London plane trees, and a new first rate public school.

It was Sinatra's neighborhood when he lived in Jersey City. He lived at Audubon Ave. and the Blvd.

Typical Fulton Ave. house today... (108 years old and not a sign of a crack.)

Resized Image

I live a few blocks away from this street those homes are gorgeous. Just recently one was purchased and turned back into a one family. My 2nd favorite street is Bentley ave, its a great street to walk down in mid October, absolutely stunning.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/5 17:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Woodbridge, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Fulton Avenue between Bergen and the Boulevard (in bad old evil Greenville).

This is where I grew up.

It hasn't been a part of the rebirth of Jersey City (read "Downtown") but in the 1960s, it was pretty close to heaven. Large old beautiful brick houses, huge old London plane trees, and a new first rate public school.

It was Sinatra's neighborhood when he lived in Jersey City. He lived at Audubon Ave. and the Blvd.

Typical Fulton Ave. house today... (108 years old and not a sign of a crack.)

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/5 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Tough call. For me it's probably Belmont Ave from JFK down to Lincoln Park.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Ha, I have fond memories of this street. When my brother and I were kids my dad would drive us to Liberty State Park via Chapel. He referred to the bridge that led you to Caven Point (a green, rickety, old bridge that was replaced 10 years ago) as the "Goblin bridge" and would scare us every time we crossed it! Cool story bro, I know, just thought I'd share.

HA! that's what I love about it, most residents here won't walk down it much, its considered the spooky road.

I love it because its usually quite with just a few cars every now and again.. it leads me to LSP and Port Liberte. You can walk down this street for a good 10 minutes before you see another person. I was spooked out once, when I saw what looked like a wolf roaming the graves. :{ a road less traveled.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 12:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017