Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Are we doing too much or not enough about this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
duh? end homelessness by giving away free homes is the same as saying "let's create more millionaires by giving each person millions of dollars"

Yeah, but tell that to those liberals in Utah.

Posted on: 2014/3/20 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
duh? end homelessness by giving away free homes is the same as saying "let's create more millionaires by giving each person millions of dollars"

Posted on: 2014/3/20 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
The Answer to Homelessness: Why conservative Utah gives away housing

Utah is the fourth most conservative state in the union, according to a January Gallup survey. Only 15 percent of residents identify as ?liberal.? Yet the Beehive State is on the cusp of ending chronic homelessness using a new method that would appear to come straight from the Nancy Pelosi playbook?by giving away housing.?

In 2005, the Republican administration of Gov. Jon Huntsman introduced a ?centrally led and locally developed? strategy to defeat long-term homelessness. Called Housing Works, the program began with 17 people who had lived on the streets at least once in the previous year. The goal was to lead them to self-sufficiency, but they kept the housing even if they failed to pull their lives together.?

Today, this strings-free approach has decreased homelessness by 74 percent, and by 2015 the state hopes to reach all 3,000 cases of homelessness. Denver has seen success with a similar effort, and Wyoming, the most conservative of all states, is poised to follow suit.?

...?

Tsemberis struck out to change that system. His strategy hinges on getting the homeless into permanent housing in order to establish ties to a community. The tenant agrees to pay a nominal rent of no more than 30 percent of whatever income he has. And he must abide by lease agreements, just as any other renter would do. Moreover, he is not forced to seek treatment for mental illness or addiction, but he is offered such programs by a full-time case worker who regularly visits to help the tenant negotiate his way through the maze of social services and charitable organizations.

More: http://www.theamericanconservative.co ... e-answer-to-homelessness/

Posted on: 2014/3/20 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I vote this post for all time best JCList discussion...

Posted on: 2014/3/19 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:
Speaking of small places to live...

s/ Seeking advice from Trolls and Smug Armchair Experts! /s

Here's my awkward homeless question of the year:

What am I suppost to do to keep the same guy from sleeping, smoking in our building's vestibule every other night?

Background: It's a 4 unit building. We'd rather not lock the exterior door if we can avoid it since we'd have to move the doorbells.

The same guy quietly sneeks into the front door late at night (I still hear him), lays below sight of the windows and sleeps.

Not such a big deal (no harm, no foul), but...

[Trolls and hyperbolic homeless advocates, are you ready? ]

Some residents are afraid of him. Oh, and ..
HE SMELLS THE DAMN PLACE UP WITH HIS SMOKE / BODY. TALKING VOMIT INDUCING ODOR HERE.

His visits require a serious on-your-knees cleaning before I go to work: Cigarette ash removal, scrubbing / bleaching of the tiles to remove the foul odor, etc.

When calmly approached about the problem, he becomes belligerent: Today I was called a racist (yay!).

I don't want to call the police. What eles can we do?

Please, no useful advice sought! The answers I want should include some or all of the following:

? Shaming (best if it involves gentrification somehow)

? Racist / Classist accusations

??Completely useless advice

? Shrill armchair advocacy for homeless/mentally ill

? An indication I should pack up, sell the building and move to the suburbs (this one is vital)

Add a lock.

Posted on: 2014/3/19 16:58
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
NYC Inmate 'Baked to Death' in Cell

By JAKE PEARSON?
Associated Press
Mar 19, 2014

Jerome Murdough was just looking for a warm place to sleep on a chilly night last month when he curled up in an enclosed stairwell on the roof of a Harlem public housing project where he was arrested for trespassing.

A week later, the mentally ill homeless man was found dead in a Rikers Island jail cell that four city officials say had overheated to at least 100 degrees, apparently because of malfunctioning equipment.

The officials told The Associated Press that the 56-year-old former Marine was on anti-psychotic and anti-seizure medication, which may have made him more vulnerable to heat. He also apparently did not open a small vent in his cell, as other inmates did, to let in cool air.

"He basically baked to death," said one of the officials, who all spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not permitted to discuss specifics of the case.

The medical examiner's office said an autopsy was inconclusive and that more tests were needed to determine Murdough's exact cause of death. But the officials, all with detailed knowledge of the case, say initial indications from the autopsy and investigation point to extreme dehydration or heat stroke.

Advocates for mentally ill inmates in New York say the death represents the failure of the city's justice system on almost every level: by arresting Murdough instead of finding him help, by setting bail at a prohibitive $2,500 and by not supervising him closely in what is supposed to be a special observation unit for inmates with mental illnesses.

Department of Correction spokesman Robin Campbell said in a statement that an internal investigation will look into all circumstances of Murdough's death, "including issues of staff performance and the adequacy of procedures."

Campbell acknowledged that the temperature in Murdough's cell was "unusually high" and that action has been taken to fix mechanical problems to ensure safe temperatures, "particularly in areas housing vulnerable inmates."

Murdough's 75-year-old mother, Alma Murdough, said she did not learn of her son's death until the AP contacted her last week, nearly a month after he died. His public defender was told of the death three days after the inmate was found, the DOC said.

"He was a very lovely, caring guy," said Murdough, adding that her son had bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and that she had not seen him in about three years.

"He had beer problems. Drinking beer. That was his downfall. Other than that, he was a very nice guy. He'd give you the shirt off his back."

Family members say Murdough grew up in Queens and joined the Marine Corps right out of high school, doing at least one stint in Okinawa, Japan.

When he returned from the service, his family said, both his mental illness and thirst for alcohol became more pronounced, and he would often disappear for months at a time, finding warmth in hospitals, shelters and the streets.

"When he wanted to venture off, we let him, we allowed him to come and go," recalled his sister, Cheryl Warner. "He always came back."

Murdough's criminal record included 11 misdemeanor convictions for trespassing, drinking in public and minor drug charges, said Ivan Vogel, a public defender who represented him at his arraignment on the trespassing charge.

According to the city officials, Murdough was locked alone into his 6-by-10 cinderblock cell at about 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 14, a week after his arrest. Because he was in the mental-observation unit, he was supposed to be checked every 15 minutes as part of suicide watch, they said. But Murdough was not discovered until four hours later, at about 2:30 a.m. on Feb. 15. He was slumped over in his bed and already dead.

When Murdough was found and his cell opened, his internal body temperature and the temperature in the cell were at least 100 degrees. Those temperatures could have been higher before he was discovered because the cell had been closed for several hours, the officials said.

Dr. Susi Vassallo, an associate professor at New York University School of Medicine and a national expert on heat-related deaths who monitors heat conditions at Rikers Island, said psychotropic medications can impair the body's ability to cool itself by sweating, making it retain more heat than it should.

Exposure to intense heat for a couple of hours by someone on such medications could be fatal, she said.

Last year, only three Rikers inmates died from non-natural causes, according to Department of Correction statistics.

Of the 12,000 inmates who make up the nation's second-largest jail system, about 40 percent are mentally ill, and a third of them suffer from serious mental problems the department said. Advocates and others have long argued that correction officers are not sufficiently trained to deal with mentally ill inmates whose needs are complex.

Catherine Abate, a member of the New York City Board of Correction, an agency charged with overseeing the city's jails, suggested at a recent public meeting that Murdough should have been referred him to psychiatric care, not to Rikers Island.

Jennifer J. Parish, an attorney at the New York-based Urban Justice Center's Mental Health Project, said Murdough appeared to be a man in need of care.

"So Mr. Murdough violated the trespass law. So he suffered the consequences by going to jail," Parish said. "But the jail system committed more serious harm to him. And the question is, 'Will they ever be held responsible?'"

Wanda Mehala, another of Murdough's sisters, said the family wants an explanation.

"We want justice for what was done," she said. "He wasn't just some old homeless person on the street. He was loved. He had a life. He had a family. He had feelings."

More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap ... baked-death-cell-22968762

Posted on: 2014/3/19 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Then there's this piece about lack of hospital rooms to treat the mentally ill who are out of control. It's about a Senator whose son was turned away by a hospital only to try to murder him the next morning. (He was then killed by the police.) :

http://www.google.com/search?ei=PkAiU ... serp..0.4.119.lrbRLQRwCLA

Posted on: 2014/3/13 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Back on topic.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... he_home.html#incart_river

and
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _home_s.html#incart_river

The concern I share with others on this forum, is that there have been too many incidents like this when the police have been called to deal with a mentally ill person. By all means call the police, but the homeless person may not leave in cuffs.

Good point. I'd also point out that as you try to house the mentally ill in rooms without superviersion these incidences with the police will happen more frequently. There don't seem to be any answers that solve this problem.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
You're extrapolating the first 10 days over 6 1/2 years?

By the way, I love post count measuring contests. Measuring dicks gets old after awhile.

I'm guilty and I'd do it again!

Posted on: 2014/3/13 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Back on topic.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... he_home.html#incart_river

and
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _home_s.html#incart_river

The concern I share with others on this forum, is that there have been too many incidents like this when the police have been called to deal with a mentally ill person. By all means call the police, but the homeless person may not leave in cuffs.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
I've been posting here for 6? years and have 1,026 posts. At the rate you're going you'll have 21,060 posts by that point.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Nothing wrong with a dog barking to alert their owner that a homeless person is trespassing. I had a similar run-in with a homeless guy sleeping in front of my house. I politely directed him to St Lucy's - never saw him again. My dog didn't bark, nor act aggressive - it didn't need to, nor would I have let it. Most homeless/panhandlers/nutcases/drunks just seem to avoid dogs like the plague. And people tend to act more civil and keep their hostility in check when a pooch is watching. Not the greatest of reasons to adopt one as a pet, but it's a bonus.

Nothing wrong with that scenario. It's your property. It's your dog. On the hand his post about bringing an angry, lunging, barking dog to someone's house to confront someone sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It also brings up images of this:

Resized Image

You seem to be taking my lighthearted post entirely too seriously. Why so serious?

Because the idea of frightening a mentally ill person with a vicious dog doesn't strike me as funny? Yeah, maybe that's it.

Well, the real life solution is to obviously call the police and have them take them away in cuffs. A sad reality (at least for the homeless guy).

Given that, scaring them off with a barking dog doesn't seem so horrible. So I think it is a great topic for an amusing concept of offering this as a service. Anyone with half a brain would see why no one is really going to do that unless it is their dog and their building.

Anyway, lighten up.

Why didn't I catch the lighthearted humor in your post? Uh, maybe because you showed up here like a derecho, headed strait for the most controversial threads and started browbeating lesser humans with your clearly superior intelligence while racking up a whopping 90+ posts in 10 days. I guess it didn't occur to me what a mischievous scamp you can be.

Now that I think about it... Vicious dogs... The homeless... Hilarious!

Can't a guy have a little fun?

You're extrapolating the first 10 days over 6 1/2 years?

By the way, I love post count measuring contests. Measuring dicks gets old after awhile.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Nothing wrong with a dog barking to alert their owner that a homeless person is trespassing. I had a similar run-in with a homeless guy sleeping in front of my house. I politely directed him to St Lucy's - never saw him again. My dog didn't bark, nor act aggressive - it didn't need to, nor would I have let it. Most homeless/panhandlers/nutcases/drunks just seem to avoid dogs like the plague. And people tend to act more civil and keep their hostility in check when a pooch is watching. Not the greatest of reasons to adopt one as a pet, but it's a bonus.

Nothing wrong with that scenario. It's your property. It's your dog. On the hand his post about bringing an angry, lunging, barking dog to someone's house to confront someone sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It also brings up images of this:

Resized Image

You seem to be taking my lighthearted post entirely too seriously. Why so serious?

Because the idea of frightening a mentally ill person with a vicious dog doesn't strike me as funny? Yeah, maybe that's it.

Well, the real life solution is to obviously call the police and have them take them away in cuffs. A sad reality (at least for the homeless guy).

Given that, scaring them off with a barking dog doesn't seem so horrible. So I think it is a great topic for an amusing concept of offering this as a service. Anyone with half a brain would see why no one is really going to do that unless it is their dog and their building.

Anyway, lighten up.

Why didn't I catch the lighthearted humor in your post? Uh, maybe because you showed up here like a derecho, headed strait for the most controversial threads and started browbeating lesser humans with your clearly superior intelligence while racking up a whopping 90+ posts in 10 days. I guess it didn't occur to me what a mischievous scamp you can be.

So there are unwritten rules on someone should post as a n00b? Can you please let me know what they are?

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I've been posting here for 6? years and have 1,026 posts. At the rate you're going you'll have 21,060 posts by that point.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Anyway, lighten up.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Anyway, lighten up.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Anyway, lighten up.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Anyway, lighten up.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/13 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Because we have grown too sensitive to other's needs before our own. We have become too politically correct to understand the difference between caution and trust. Reaching out and giving to a point of neglecting ourselves is like shooting yourself in the foot. Look at the U.S. giving billions to the Ukraine but letting Detroit melt away financially. It just doesn't make any sense.

God yes.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/13 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Either there are two people using your account or you get hella f@cked up when you post in the evenings and on weekends.

I don't understand where you are coming from of going with this ? I rarely post in the evenings or on weekends.

Watch the pen. You're getting sleepy. Sleepy...

I'm now speeking to the heights who posts in the evening... Your posts xenophobic and incoherent.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Either there are two people using your account or you get hella f@cked up when you post in the evenings and on weekends.

I don't understand where you are coming from of going with this ? I rarely post in the evenings or on weekends.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 12:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Because we have grown too sensitive to other's needs before our own. We have become too politically correct to understand the difference between caution and trust. Reaching out and giving to a point of neglecting ourselves is like shooting yourself in the foot. Look at the U.S. giving billions to the Ukraine but letting Detroit melt away financially. It just doesn't make any sense.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/13 11:32
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
They have a service for people like you. A free ride to jail in the back seat of a police car.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:

What am I suppost to do to keep the same guy from sleeping, smoking in our building's vestibule every other night?

Background: It's a 4 unit building. We'd rather not lock the exterior door if we can avoid it since we'd have to move the doorbells.

The same guy quietly sneeks into the front door late at night (I still hear him), lays below sight of the windows and sleeps.

HE SMELLS THE DAMN PLACE UP WITH HIS SMOKE / BODY. TALKING VOMIT INDUCING ODOR HERE.

His visits require a serious on-your-knees cleaning before I go to work: Cigarette ash removal, scrubbing / bleaching of the tiles to remove the foul odor, etc.

When calmly approached about the problem, he becomes belligerent: Today I was called a racist (yay!).

Please, no useful advice sought! The answers I want should include some or all of the following:

? An indication I should pack up, sell the building and move to the suburbs (this one is vital)

The homeless are allergic to other people's dogs.

I should start offering a service where I scare off homeless people with my large dog. She generally can't stand them and starts barking at them whenever she sees them. They tend to avoid her like the plague.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 6:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not the one trespassing.

Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
They have a service for people like you. A free ride to jail in the back seat of a police car.

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:

I should start offering a service where I scare off homeless people with my large dog. She generally can't stand them and starts barking at them whenever she sees them. They tend to avoid her like the plague.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/13 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/13 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/12 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vitriolbegone wrote:Please, no useful advice sought! The answers I want should include some or all of the following:
[/b][/i]

Sorry, can't oblige you here. This is not the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and I live in the Heights.

Agree with the other posters - additional locks, call police, don't engage the guy. He is not respecting you, or your neighbors.

If it makes you feel better, call the number posted earlier in this message thread and give them a heads-up - a local NFP may be able to do some concurrent outreach.

Posted on: 2014/3/12 19:42

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017