Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Military Helicopters
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I think aside from the low incremental spend associated with these flights, I think there is considerable value that comes from a recruiting and troop morale perspective.

Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
If the flyovers are training missions which don't cost money not otherwise spent, then they could be done over charity or humanitarian events instead of profitable sporting franchises. The flyovers could also invoice the NFL for the service they provide, the same way that police charge film shoots for traffic detail. Also, all of the land vehicle convoys and uniformed detail are certainly not training enterprises.

I would love to see a real report on how much hosting this event is a net revenue loss for the cities, county, and state.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 21:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
If the flyovers are training missions which don't cost money not otherwise spent, then they could be done over charity or humanitarian events instead of profitable sporting franchises. The flyovers could also invoice the NFL for the service they provide, the same way that police charge film shoots for traffic detail. Also, all of the land vehicle convoys and uniformed detail are certainly not training enterprises.

I would love to see a real report on how much hosting this event is a net revenue loss for the cities, county, and state.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 20:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
What would you consider proof? Each unit is allocated a certain number of flight hours per year. They are going to be flown one way or another. Call them training or operational, it doesn't change the cost.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ahal wrote:
Typically, military flyovers fall under training hours for these pilots/crews/squadrons. If they weren't doing these hours in a public forum like Superbowl pre-game, they'd be doing it in a less public forum over some random unpopulated area. So, depending on your frame of mind about it, you get more bang for your buck, not less... at least for the flyover aspect.

Also, in terms of taxes, the NFL doesn't pay, but the individual teams do. Also, out of state players pay a specific 8% tax on their proportioned earnings for the week. So, something like .16% of their annual salaries. Which isn't nothing, especially when talking about the dollars involved.

Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
I've seen a bunch of military helicopter convoys and all of Newport is practically on security lockdown. I can't believe so many agencies are spending so much money on this event. The NFL doesn't even pay taxes. Local restaurants and other venues seem emptier than usual. When I lived in the Heights the North Ward of JCPD informed me regularly they simply didn't have manpower to respond to street violence and gang issues. What a waste of resources.

Wow, 0.16%! That's $1600 on every million. It's not nothing. Neither is 50 cents and a cup of coffee.

I'd love proof that these are training exercises.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 17:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Typically, military flyovers fall under training hours for these pilots/crews/squadrons. If they weren't doing these hours in a public forum like Superbowl pre-game, they'd be doing it in a less public forum over some random unpopulated area. So, depending on your frame of mind about it, you get more bang for your buck, not less... at least for the flyover aspect.

Also, in terms of taxes, the NFL doesn't pay, but the individual teams do. Also, out of state players pay a specific 8% tax on their proportioned earnings for the week. So, something like .16% of their annual salaries. Which isn't nothing, especially when talking about the dollars involved.

Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
I've seen a bunch of military helicopter convoys and all of Newport is practically on security lockdown. I can't believe so many agencies are spending so much money on this event. The NFL doesn't even pay taxes. Local restaurants and other venues seem emptier than usual. When I lived in the Heights the North Ward of JCPD informed me regularly they simply didn't have manpower to respond to street violence and gang issues. What a waste of resources.

Posted on: 2014/2/2 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/2 14:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/1 9:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was at V38 restaurant 2 nights ago and 2 buses with the
Seahawks pulled up next to the Westin. State troopers
everywhere, homeland security trailer there, watch out post
there. You'd think these players were leaders of the world
or something.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 6:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
wow that was a bit much..... I honestly thought that something just landed in my yard that was so loud!

Posted on: 2014/1/31 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
there have been annoying low flying helicopters all week doing who knows what.

The military helicopters flying today are way louder and of the house shaking variety. So any of you people complaining about speed humps wrecking your plaster moulding really ought to scream about these helicopter flyovers...

also can't wait to see if all this hoopla made JC any money after an honest accounting...

Posted on: 2014/1/31 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Just had about 5 or 6 helicopter fly low over my apartment in some sort of formation. they were flying East.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 23:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/14 15:07
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01/3 ... -prepared-for-super-bowl/

They been doing this since 1968. Nothing new.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
If this is superbowl it's total nonsense. Wish they could devote the same energy to getting guns off the street!!

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Someone posted this to my Facebook feed:

"The Essex County Airport in Fairfield is the location where military aircraft involved in the Super Bowl pre-game ceremony will land. Area residents should not be alarmed when they see above normal activity and increased police activity.

In the afternoon and evening of Friday, January 31 and in the evening of Sunday, February 2, military helicopters will be landing and taking off at the airport. These aircraft are part of the Super Bowl program. They will perform practice flights on Friday and their game routine on Sunday."

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/14 15:07
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I just saw them in Palisades Park. Must be but why? I know security but anymore information?

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:21

Military Helicopters
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw 10+ assorted Military Helicopters do a low flyover of JC. Is this really for the Superbowl?

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017