Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Moving vans taking people out of state in droves, survey finds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Therein lies a HUGE problem for high cost states: as more and more retirees flock to states with lower costs (and, usually, more temperate climates) they are also losing out on the money that retirees will normally spend locally. Even retirees living on fixed incomes will spend money locally for many things, and that is a HUGE loss.

It's not all a bed of roses for the low cost states. Retirees don't add much to the tax rolls and the have costs associated with them as well. It's all well and good to have the newly retired come and play golf and go out to eat with their pension money. It is something else when they turn 85 and stop going out so much and start using other resources.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Less we all forget around 10,00 people retire each DAY and the number is growing. I don't know any retirees who actively seek out NJ nor do I know any that are hell bent on remaining here. Ridiculous property taxes aside hotter climates will always be the #1 driver.

Really? In my neighborhood, Harsimus Cove, a lot of the row houses are occupied by retirees who have lived here a long time, including me. Once you pay off a mortgage - remember we paid pennies for these houses - the cost of living here is quite reasonable. DTJC is great for a certain type of retiree; someone with an active, urban lifestyle and reasonable resources. I am guessing that as more and more restos, shops and fancy groceries, etc. open and the media continues to hype the hood, our next
population surge will be empty nesters from the suburbs of N.J. High taxes are a way of life and crappy schools are of no concern. Easy access to Manhattan and the need for one or no cars has its allure. The idea that retirement relegates people into a serious financial crunch is a much too broad generalization.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a good read...

More People Moving to Oregon

Posted on: 2014/1/8 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Therein lies a HUGE problem for high cost states: as more and more retirees flock to states with lower costs (and, usually, more temperate climates) they are also losing out on the money that retirees will normally spend locally. Even retirees living on fixed incomes will spend money locally for many things, and that is a HUGE loss.

The population "migration" trends are quite clear. Texas and Florida are experiencing huge growths, driven in large part by retirees. But, also young people, who in today's world are able to ply their trade from just about anywhere, thanks to the Internet and improved telecommunications infrastructure. What will NJ look like 20 years from now? Or, 30? I suspect more and more people will flock to medium size metro areas (which is already happening) and many more businesses will continue to relocate certain operations to these small and mid-sized metro areas. I know many of my clients have already undertaken projects aimed to achieve just that.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Less we all forget around 10,00 people retire each DAY and the number is growing. I don't know any retirees who actively seek out NJ nor do I know any that are hell bent on remaining here. Ridiculous property taxes aside hotter climates will always be the #1 driver.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I hate the out-of-doors, and dread the thought of having to retire someplace where I can't walk to a bar or coffee shop, or not be a 1/2 hour from art galleries and museums. But what the costs of living in the NYC metro area are daunting - even if retirement is 15 years + away it can only get more expensive, which is scary.

I wonder if there are studies on best cities to retire to?

Check out Raleigh NC, its like a small city and not too expensive. Coffee shops, art galleries and a progressive LGBT community. If you you are worried about $$$ check this out Best Places to Retire for Under $40,000

Raleigh is very nice. You do run out of things to do after a few days, but it has a wonderful small community.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 14:35
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I hate the out-of-doors, and dread the thought of having to retire someplace where I can't walk to a bar or coffee shop, or not be a 1/2 hour from art galleries and museums. But what the costs of living in the NYC metro area are daunting - even if retirement is 15 years + away it can only get more expensive, which is scary.

Check out Raleigh NC, its like a small city and not too expensive. Coffee shops, art galleries and a progressive LGBT community. If you you are worried about $$$ check this out Best Places to Retire for Under $40,000

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/6 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
This is no surprise.

Look at this Forbes article. #1 State people are leaving is NJ once again in 2013.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoud ... ople-are-fleeing-in-2013/

The number 1 reason? Out of control spending and INSANE property taxes that have spiraled out of control.

Back in July, I went before City Council when Team Fulop gave us a 7.9% tax increase. Spoke out about tax increases, with a very padded new final budget, with lots of patronage jobs. With ZERO cuts in spending. http://youtu.be/E4WSIdA4B-M

For 2014, Jersey City's main priority has to be getting tax relief to the citizens of Jersey City. Instead, The Fulop Administration is STILL giving out tax abatements to wealthy developers. 35 years for JSQ development and now another one for DOWNTOWN coming up for the Majestic 2 in the heart of downtown. Even 10 years is too much.

And Fulop canceled the reval, so folks living in million dollar brownstones, are paying taxes like its 1980's versus their fair share. And if you are a new owner say the past decade, you are getting screwed.

So of course people are fleeing. No one wants to fix the problem.

Remember this in 2017 folks.

Fletch

Uh oh! Team Fletcher is starting his campaign speech!

Fletch, I cannot wait for you and Yvonne to mount another unsuccessful campaign. Although she has lots of money to waste after selling her brownstone for a few million $$$, I wonder how much disposable income you have to waste?

I truly look forward to highlighting your steadfast support for NEWT GINGRICH and Team Yvonne's standing behind the great Tea Party advocate Steve Lonegan. Just perusing Newt's stances on issues, I cannot wait to equate those with you.

Also, while I have no doubt you will continue to spread misinformation, the truth is that this budget for 2013 was over half spent by the time the Council voted on it. The only areas that were open to cuts were the police and fire. SHOULD THEY HAVE CUTE POLICE OR FIRE SERVICES? And what about the services that have been cut? What about the millions that the administration has cut since passing the budget? Why don't you talk about that? Not convenient to your campaign rhetoric?

Looking forward to negative campaigning the hell out of you and Team Yvonne. What you spend, we will spend against you.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Very true. In fact, many of the TX metro areas are experiencing tremendous growth partly because of people fleeing the expensive NE. Wide open spaces, no personal income taxes, small government and very affordable housing stock. And, to the point someone else raised about healthcare that specializes on senior/elderly matters, many of these TX cities have invested heavily on those fields.

Personally, I want to retire in TX when the time comes. But, OR would be a close second choice. There's a certain allure to both states: rugged American landscapes with lots of character and possibilities.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
All of these rural areas appear very attractive until you find there is nothing to do other than stare at the scenery.

Actually, if you're a fit outdoorsy type of senior, it's heaven. My MIL's boyfriend (thank God for him taking some heat off us) skis like 5 days a week in winter and hikes or bikes in summer. And in Ashland at least there a huge theater and art scene. The real estate market there has gone sky high as there's not many places in the country like that below the snowbelt, maybe Ashville, NC and Austin TX.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
A great place to live if you like the outdoors.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
All of these rural areas appear very attractive until you find there is nothing to do other than stare at the scenery.

Actually, if you're a fit outdoorsy type of senior, it's heaven. My MIL's boyfriend (thank God for him taking some heat off us) skis like 5 days a week in winter and hikes or bikes in summer. And in Ashland at least there a huge theater and art scene. The real estate market there has gone sky high as there's not many places in the country like that below the snowbelt, maybe Ashville, NC and Austin TX.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

07310 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/5 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
The Ashland/Medford area is nice as well. But yeah, unless you work from home there's not much to do there. I worked in construction there for about 4 months but there was only one company and I knew when it got slow I'd be stranded. I moved up north where the work was.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
I wasn't knocking it, just saying that a lot of people I talk to want to move there. I'm not a fan of high humidity though. Have you been to Bend Oregon? Beautiful country in every direction.

Yes, without doubt. My MIL lives nearby in Ashland, OR. But that doesn't mean the economy or environment can sustain mass migration there. Pretty as it is, rural Oregon is actually pretty poor and dry. Ashland attracts lots of CA expats for it's artsy college town thing, but even there the local economy is rough. Lots of folks struggle to find work and the county closed the library system down in 07 for nearly a year due to lack of funds. Will these areas like S Oregon and W NC come to resemble S FL and AZ as retiree meccas bringing their pensions and 401k's from other states?

Posted on: 2014/1/5 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Yes, without doubt. My MIL lives nearby in Ashland, OR. But that doesn't mean the economy or environment can sustain mass migration there. Pretty as it is, rural Oregon is actually pretty poor and dry. Ashland attracts lots of CA expats for it's artsy college town thing, but even there the local economy is rough. Lots of folks struggle to find work and the county closed the library system down in 07 for nearly a year due to lack of funds. Will these areas like S Oregon and W NC come to resemble S FL and AZ as retiree meccas bringing their pensions and 401k's from other states?

All of these rural areas appear very attractive until you find there is nothing to do other than stare at the scenery. As you get older and your health declines what types of health services are available? I don't think too many country doctors are trained for caring for the elderly.Other concerns are hospital care, and social services as well as being farther away from friends and family.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
I wasn't knocking it, just saying that a lot of people I talk to want to move there. I'm not a fan of high humidity though. Have you been to Bend Oregon? Beautiful country in every direction.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Is it easy to move? Are there jobs there? Do people find a job there and then move there? Or do they move there first and then go look for a job?

I know one person who retired to one of the Carolinas, and another who is retiring this month and built a house there.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend,_Oregon

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Making $190.00 a week makes sense in the Carolina's. Also if you are retired or close to it, why would you stay in Jersey paying 18k for property taxes when a home much larger with land will cost you about 2k.

I like NC especially the winter weather and would even consider Oregon, I have family there.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 9:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
The problem is spending.

Please re-read my note. There were ZERO cuts in spending in the approved budget that included that 7.9% tax hike.

I am a BIG advocate of reduced spending and spending within our means.

And I am still awaiting that Desk Audit that was promised. If a major Fortune 500 company can do a bottom to top audit in 6-8 weeks, something must be wrong that JC can't do it.

First thing I would cut? 1 Deputy Mayor position. Not sure why we need two, when the US only has 1 Vice President.

Fletch

P.S. And Tax abatements are a big problem. This past spring, being an independent candidate, I heard it from EVERYBODY. They are unfair, and are unneeded. Especially downtown. Read the NJ Policy Perspectives report on how JC has abused tax abatements. Eye opener.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
This is no surprise.

Look at this Forbes article. #1 State people are leaving is NJ once again in 2013.

The number 1 reason? Out of control spending and INSANE property taxes that have spiraled out of control.

Back in July, I went before City Council when Team Fulop gave us a 7.9% tax increase. Spoke out about tax increases, with a very padded new final budget, with lots of patronage jobs. With ZERO cuts in spending. http://youtu.be/E4WSIdA4B-M

For 2014, Jersey City's main priority has to be getting tax relief to the citizens of Jersey City. Instead, The Fulop Administration is STILL giving out tax abatements to wealthy developers. 35 years for JSQ development and now another one for DOWNTOWN coming up for the Majestic 2 in the heart of downtown. Even 10 years is too much.

And Fulop canceled the reval, so folks living in million dollar brownstones, are paying taxes like its 1980's versus their fair share. And if you are a new owner say the past decade, you are getting screwed.

Fletch

You are not going to listen, but here it is, - the problem is not abatements. The problem is spending.

There will be no solution until you stop thinking in terms "who else we should tax but me" and start thining in terms "we got to cut the government in a most drastic way".

Posted on: 2014/1/5 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
This is no surprise.

Fletch

Posted on: 2014/1/5 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Making $190.00 a week makes sense in the Carolina's. Also if you are retired or close to it, why would you stay in Jersey paying 18k for property taxes when a home much larger with land will cost you about 2k.

I like NC especially the winter weather and would even consider Oregon, I have family there.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone here wants to move to the Carolinas. It seems to be the promised land.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 20:25

Moving vans taking people out of state in droves, survey finds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Tom De Poto/The Star-Ledger

United Van Lines had a busy year moving people out of New Jersey in 2013.

The company tracks yearly migration, recording the number of moves into and out of a state. For the third year in the past four, New Jersey led the list as the state with the greatest percentage of people leaving.

According to United, 4,045 of its New Jersey customers moved out of state last year, while 2,326 moved in, resulting in a 63.5 to 36.5 ratio. Both numbers were larger than in 2012, when 3,925 families used United to move out, as opposed to 2,375 that moved in.

The study is based on household moves handled by United.

Allied Van Lines released a similar report last week that put New Jersey in its top five outbound states.

Read More: SL

Posted on: 2014/1/4 20:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017