Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 3 »


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#62
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/21 14:43
Last Login :
2012/10/13 20:44
Group:
Banned
Posts: 27
Offline
Checking usage is helpful too - what does Another Store Gets Faded Out mean? Isn't the expression Phased Out? Not sure what Phasing Out a store involves, so that might be inappropriate too. Isn't fading out a film term? Hmm, so maybe it is appropriate for a camera shop.

THE END

Posted on: 2012/5/14 18:47
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#61
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/4 21:28
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 84
Offline
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

Roslyn wrote:
If everytime someone writes a post they need to reread it over for grammar and spelling the blogoshpere would be half the size it is now.


That would really be a good thing.

Instead of spell check letting you know that you have misspelled a word, they should scan for proper grammer and spelling. If YOUR post has a certain amount or percentage of errors, it gets deleted.

This way the adults can have a conversation.


* grammar.

Couldn't reezist.

(Please keep this going all day!)

Posted on: 2012/5/14 13:23
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3141
Offline
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Thank you for correcting my English, which stinks.

Any thoughts on the Oxford (or serial) comma?

Example (and keeping with the thread topic):

I have enjoyed going to Skinner's, Barcade, and LITM.

The Oxford comma is the one before "and."


this is the best illustration of this I've seen:



In GB, the comma would be a colon to represent the second sentence.

We invited the strippers: JFK and Stalin.

In GB the first sentence is nonsense. The original second sentence represents the first result set: "strippers, JFK and Stalin".


Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/5/14 8:46
 Top 


Re: Sports Bar Coming to JC (Old Hudson Camera Newark Ave)
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/3/31 22:44
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Posts: 173
Offline
No, we don't.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 3:40
 Top 


Sports Bar Coming to JC (Old Hudson Camera Newark Ave)
#58
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/12/26 15:06
Last Login :
2014/8/2 11:26
From Bergen Lafayette, Downtown, Westiside and Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 18
Offline
Spoke to a nice man who told me his son was putting a sports bar where Hudson Camera used to be. I wish them luck, we need a good sports bar in JC!

Posted on: 2012/5/14 3:35
*JERSEY CITY* BORN and RAISED, STILL HERE!
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#57
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/28 3:26
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1013
Offline
Excellent. Like the author who dedicated a book to "my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

Posted on: 2012/3/29 17:40
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/2/3 21:36
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1300
Offline
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Thank you for correcting my English, which stinks.

Any thoughts on the Oxford (or serial) comma?

Example (and keeping with the thread topic):

I have enjoyed going to Skinner's, Barcade, and LITM.

The Oxford comma is the one before "and."


this is the best illustration of this I've seen:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/3/29 17:29
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/2/3 21:36
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1300
Offline
Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.


only if the title itself is a question, ie: "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader?"

the answer to which, in this thread's case, would be No.


Your "ie" should be e.g.. Sorry. I just HAD to add that or I'd kick myself later.


Oh, that's right! I always mix those up.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 17:26
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/28 3:26
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1013
Offline
Thank you for correcting my English, which stinks.

Any thoughts on the Oxford (or serial) comma?

Example (and keeping with the thread topic):

I have enjoyed going to Skinner's, Barcade, and LITM.

The Oxford comma is the one before "and."

Posted on: 2012/3/29 17:10
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/12/28 17:08
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 981
Offline
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.


only if the title itself is a question, ie: "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader?"

the answer to which, in this thread's case, would be No.

In Great Britain, your correction would be accurate. In America, it is not. I happen to agree with the British rule of grammar on this, but in the good old US of A punctuation is always inside quotes.


Commas and periods go inside the quotes in the US, outside in Great Britain. Question marks and Exclamation points go outside on both sides of the Atlantic (unless, as Biscuit states, the punctuation is actually part of the title).


Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/3/29 16:45
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/4/10 13:29
Last Login :
5/15 1:51
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2718
Offline
Punctuation and quotations really all depend on whether you are using MLA, Chicago, AP, APA or some other lesser known style guide. Of course, we all know MLA is the only format that matters.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 1:15
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/7 17:29
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 220
Offline
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.


only if the title itself is a question, ie: "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader?"

the answer to which, in this thread's case, would be No.


Your "ie" should be e.g.. Sorry. I just HAD to add that or I'd kick myself later.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:50
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/15 21:43
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 805
Offline
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.


only if the title itself is a question, ie: "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader?"

the answer to which, in this thread's case, would be No.

In Great Britain, your correction would be accurate. In America, it is not. I happen to agree with the British rule of grammar on this, but in the good old US of A punctuation is always inside quotes.


Commas and periods go inside the quotes in the US, outside in Great Britain. Question marks and Exclamation points go outside on both sides of the Atlantic (unless, as Biscuit states, the punctuation is actually part of the title).

Posted on: 2012/3/28 20:45
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/12/28 17:08
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 981
Offline
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.


only if the title itself is a question, ie: "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader?"

the answer to which, in this thread's case, would be No.

In Great Britain, your correction would be accurate. In America, it is not. I happen to agree with the British rule of grammar on this, but in the good old US of A punctuation is always inside quotes.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 20:31
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#48
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/2/8 17:21
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 404
Offline
Ah, the JCList Limbo:"How low can you go?"

Posted on: 2012/3/28 20:24
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/2/3 21:36
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1300
Offline
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.


only if the title itself is a question, ie: "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader?"

the answer to which, in this thread's case, would be No.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 19:08
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/4/7 14:20
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 291
Offline
What a shame that Hudson Camera will be closing! Now I'll never get that roll of film that's been sitting in my Holga for the past two years developed.

I figured it would happen eventually though. It's hard to compete when B&H is so nearby. And most people just use their phones for point and shoot these days.

Hopefully the storefront won't remain vacant for too long.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 19:07
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/4/10 13:29
Last Login :
5/15 1:51
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2718
Offline
When someone says something inflammatory like "So your saying that people who have taken no responsibility for their education, who have commited nothing to bettering themselves should be allowed to be pissed becuase people who have worked hard throughout their education and career are moving into their neighborhood," but does so in post including incorrect grammar, incorrect spelling, and generally poor style, attacking their grammar is a lot like saying "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:58
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 21:13
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Posts: 5775
Offline
Quote:

So sorry. Didn't read the updated internet rules. So as long as we're talking about gentrification on Newark Ave, consistent bad grammar is acceptable? So I can say that 4+4=17 as long as the post isn't related to math or me saying how great I am at math? Well I learned something new today.


This is exactly the reason for the informal netiquette guidelines, because otherwise every single thread can devolve into a grammar/spelling pissing match. Be forgiving, the poster might be ESL, dyslexic, in a hurry, typing with thumbs, or a dog. It doesn't mean what they have to say is not worth reading.

If you want to post "4+4=17" as your sig go right ahead. If it's a meaningful part of your post, expect disagreement.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:55
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/28 3:26
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1013
Offline
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.


The question mark should be inside the quotation marks.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:52
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/15 21:43
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 805
Offline
Webmaster, could you please change the name of this thread to "a protracted, tedious discussion of internet grammar rules and regulations"? Because it stopped being about Hudson Camera about twenty posts ago.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:47
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/5/7 15:41
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 161
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

Roslyn wrote:
Due to the amount of people picking at my post becuase I wrote Your as opposed to You're I feel i should respond.

Seriously people since when do blog posts need to have perfect spelling on order to be valid.

If everytime someone writes a post they need to reread it over for grammar and spelling the blogoshpere would be half the size it is now.

Get over YOURselves.


It matters because we assume you are an educated adult. It is a reflection of you, like it or not. Sure, we all make typos now and then, but to defend it is ridiculous. Would you send in a resume or cover letter with "your" instead of "you're?" Just because it's a "blog" or "forum" isn't an excuse for ignorance.

Actually, longtime "netiquette" calls for NOT calling people out on grammar & spelling unless the context opens them up to it, ex: a misspelled post about their superior education. Or it's so extreme as to be unreadable, like a 500 word paragraph.
The metaphor is a conversation, not a dissertation.


So sorry. Didn't read the updated internet rules. So as long as we're talking about gentrification on Newark Ave, consistent bad grammar is acceptable? So I can say that 4+4=17 as long as the post isn't related to math or me saying how great I am at math? Well I learned something new today.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 16:22
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/4/10 13:29
Last Login :
5/15 1:51
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2718
Offline
This is a message board or bulletin board system, not a blog.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 18:08
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 21:13
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Posts: 5775
Offline
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

Roslyn wrote:
Due to the amount of people picking at my post becuase I wrote Your as opposed to You're I feel i should respond.

Seriously people since when do blog posts need to have perfect spelling on order to be valid.

If everytime someone writes a post they need to reread it over for grammar and spelling the blogoshpere would be half the size it is now.

Get over YOURselves.


It matters because we assume you are an educated adult. It is a reflection of you, like it or not. Sure, we all make typos now and then, but to defend it is ridiculous. Would you send in a resume or cover letter with "your" instead of "you're?" Just because it's a "blog" or "forum" isn't an excuse for ignorance.


Actually, longtime "netiquette" calls for NOT calling people out on grammar & spelling unless the context opens them up to it, ex: a misspelled post about their superior education. Or it's so extreme as to be unreadable, like a 500 word paragraph.

The metaphor is a conversation, not a dissertation.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 18:02
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/9 3:09
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 310
Offline
Quote:

Roslyn wrote:
If everytime someone writes a post they need to reread it over for grammar and spelling the blogoshpere would be half the size it is now.


That would really be a good thing.

Instead of spell check letting you know that you have misspelled a word, they should scan for proper grammer and spelling. If YOUR post has a certain amount or percentage of errors, it gets deleted.

This way the adults can have a conversation.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 15:04
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/5/7 15:41
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 161
Offline
Quote:

Roslyn wrote:
Due to the amount of people picking at my post becuase I wrote Your as opposed to You're I feel i should respond.

Seriously people since when do blog posts need to have perfect spelling on order to be valid.

If everytime someone writes a post they need to reread it over for grammar and spelling the blogoshpere would be half the size it is now.

Get over YOURselves.


It matters because we assume you are an educated adult. It is a reflection of you, like it or not. Sure, we all make typos now and then, but to defend it is ridiculous. Would you send in a resume or cover letter with "your" instead of "you're?" Just because it's a "blog" or "forum" isn't an excuse for ignorance.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 14:37
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#36
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/8/22 19:53
Last Login :
2014/6/9 20:50
Group:
Banned
Posts: 64
Offline
Due to the amount of people picking at my post becuase I wrote Your as opposed to You're I feel i should respond.

Seriously people since when do blog posts need to have perfect spelling on order to be valid.

If everytime someone writes a post they need to reread it over for grammar and spelling the blogoshpere would be half the size it is now.

Get over YOURselves.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 13:50
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/7/13 15:03
Last Login :
7/5 23:54
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4638
Offline
Quote:

equ wrote:
I went to them to get a passport pic taken just a few months ago (largely based on a jclist review). He took the worst photo of me ever. When I said let's do another, "grumble, grumble" and took one just as bad. I guess the writing was on the wall.

When you say he did you mean Pete ?

Posted on: 2012/3/25 10:42
Get on your bikes and ride !
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#34
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/18 17:08
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 108
Offline
I went to them to get a passport pic taken just a few months ago (largely based on a jclist review). He took the worst photo of me ever. When I said let's do another, "grumble, grumble" and took one just as bad. I guess the writing was on the wall.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 9:58
 Top 


Re: Another Store gets faded out on Newark... gentrification still at work.
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/4/10 13:29
Last Login :
5/15 1:51
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2718
Offline
The rumor that it will become a sports bar is in the opening line of the Hudson Reporter article.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 7:40
 Top 




(1) 2 3 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017