Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: A tax-free reimbursement of $240 per year - just for riding your bike to work?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
LoL.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 21:55

Re: A tax-free reimbursement of $240 per year - just for riding your bike to work?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Tax breaks for bicycle riding

Jersey Journal
Thursday, January 08, 2009

People who regularly use their bicycles to get to and from work are eligible for a $20-a-month, tax-free reimbursement from their employers for bicycle-related expenses, according to the National Center for Bicycling & Walking.

Employers will in turn be able to deduct the expense from their federal taxes, the group says.

"We're hearing that many employers don't know anything about the bicycle commuter provision, or that it went into effect on Jan. 1," NCBW board chairman Peter Harkness said in a news release. "This provision is a matter of equity; it gives bike commuters benefits similar to those already enjoyed by people who drive or take public transit to work."

Part of the Bicycle Commuter Act passed by Congress in October, the $20-a-month tax relief for employers per bicycle commuting employee is to cover the cost of any employer reimbursement for reasonable expenses "for the purchase of a bicycle and bicycle improvements, repair and storage, if such bicycle is regularly used for travel between the employee's residence and place of employment," according to the Bicycle Retailer and Industry News.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mathias wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

1-Ride 25-30 miles over the GW bridge

I commute to midtown from Jersey City by bike fairly often, especially when it is warmer. From the Heights it is just about 21 miles.

21 miles for anyone who rides a bike on a regular basis isn't really that far. My commute time takes about an hour and 10 minutes. The biggest challenge is tackling the hill that leads up to the GWB bike entrance.

What hill leading to the bridge ? What time of day is this done ? We need a bridge on the south end of Manhattan leading to Jersey. Ride Boulevard East to Ft Lee taking Palisade Ave. in Cliffside Pk. to the bridge entering near Ft. Lee Historical Park.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 0:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/9 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
This reimbursement program would be great, but the catchis that your employer has to agree to set it up for you. Unfortunately, mine thinks the overhead isn't worth it.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

I commute to midtown from Jersey City by bike fairly often, especially when it is warmer. From the Heights it is just about 21 miles.

21 miles for anyone who rides a bike on a regular basis isn't really that far. My commute time takes about an hour and 10 minutes. The biggest challenge is tackling the hill that leads up to the GWB bike entrance.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mwa7368 wrote: ...That leaves the "only real way" to ride/get your bike to Manhattan during rush hour, THE FERRY... ...If there is another option please enlighten me.
I wouldn't take a folder on the PATH at the height of rush hour, however you are allowed to. They sell bags for folders too.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 16:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
devbeep: do you ever have any problems with blown tires? I cant go more than a month with out blowing one. Streets arnd here SUCK

Posted on: 2009/1/7 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
The only real way to bike commute during rush-hour from JC to Manhattan is to take the ferry which is expensive but so worth it to not have to fight to get off the train, even without a bike. It's a real pleasure. Too bad they don't run on weekends. If they did run them on weekends the 3 year WTC path station closure would be an easier pill to swallow.

" the only real way "?? The ferry is like close to 20$ a day roundtrip. That alone means you make money by even suggesting it as a solution. Skipping a 4$ roundtrip mta fare doesn't make you green. Just walk it or take a cab since you can afford it.

Think about what you are saying before you just type whatever squirts out of your brain.
What ways are there during rush hour to get your bike to manhattan?

2-Take it illegally on the PATH and Piss people off including me
3-Take the Ferry
4-Take a taxi

"Walking" it is not an option unless you want to walk for 25-30 miles

I am not rich enough to get a cab and put the bicycle in the trunk.

That leaves the "only real way" to ride/get your bike to Manhattan during rush hour, THE FERRY. Which BTW cost 6 dollars each way to World Financial Center" with a bike.

It's not about being green, if you wanna be green then our absolute only choice is the GW.

If there is another option please enlighten me.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devbeep wrote:
....Get used to doing normal shit like grocery shopping, riding your bike to bars (especially Hoboken.. cabs to Maxwell's/DC's/wherever get tiresome very quickly....

Be careful drunken biking.

I dont know how reliable it is but the Q&A below is from this site : http://www.newjerseydwi.com/qa.htm

Question:

"Here is a question that someone asked me, and frankly I couldn't give him an answer. He asked if someone was riding a bicycle under the influence...could that person be charged for a DWI just as if they were driving a car?"

Answer:

In State v. Machuzak, 227 N.J. Super. 279 (Law Div. 1988), the Court (Somerset County) held that the DWI Statute (NJSA 394-50) clearly did not apply to non-motorized bicycles. A Cumberland Superior Court also held that the Statute was not applicable - see State v. Johnson, 203 N.J. Super. 436 (Law Div. 1985). However, in State v. Tehan, 190 N.J. Super. 348 (Law Div. 1982), a Court (in Somerset County) found that a bicyclist could be found guilty of DWI, although the license revocation could not be imposed.

Until a higher Court in New Jersey rules on the issue, technically, the issue is unfortunately, not clearly answered. Where as here, there are conflicting Law Division Decisions (the Courts above the lower Municipal Courts), the issue is technically regarded as unresolved, although the Machuzak and Johnson decisions appear better-reasoned that the Tehan ruling.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Probably the best compromise between biking and walking.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
backpacks are fine but a rack on the back with a milk crate attached works awesome!

Posted on: 2009/1/5 16:00
utterly deplorable

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Thanks for enlightening us Dev of all the possible activities and benefits of bike riding. I would've never imagined to use my bike for grocery shopping, but now that you mention it I suggest a large backpack for groceries. I know it isn't a hip accessory like the messenger bag, but it's much more comfortable for those like yourself that consider lugging some weight around to be an extreme test of will and strength.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
The Wicycle. that's precious.

i find it funny how the commentator says, "So, why is it that you're not selling 5,000 of these things a day?"

how about the fact that a battery on full charge only has a traveling capability of 8 miles. this guy says you can go to work, do your errands in town.......who lives 4 miles or less from work.

again, i like the green idea, i really do, and as an avid runner (and mountain biker when i have the chance) i would love to ride my bike all over the place, even to and from work, but so many of these green ideas are soooooo not practical yet for 99% of the population.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
How about those of us who just walk?

Posted on: 2009/1/5 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
1)i'm willing to bet JC isn't your hometown.
2)you do care about people think or you wouldnt waste time googling those hideous pictures
3) that chic embodies why the rest of the cycling world crack jokes on folders. shes most likely going 3mph all jittery and uncoordinated. she's on the phone, and she's going the wrong way completely oblivious to the 'macho hicks' that ride at speed safely for real transportation. not some afternoon joyride in search of that new organic bakery.
Search no more.........
Bird Bath Bakery/City Bakery offer a 25% discount when you arrive by bike. They are a green orientated bakery. Of their 3 Manhattan locations 2 offer the discount; in the West Village on the S/E corner of 7th Ave. South & Charles St. (one block from 10th St. near the 9thSt. PATH). And in the East Village on 1st Ave. between 13th & 14th streets. Also coffee shops get a lot of bikers the Times had an article with that tid bit inserted.

Birdbath Bakery
175 7th Ave
New York, NY 10014
(646) 722-6570

www.buildagreenbakery.com City Bakery
http://www.buildagreenbakery.com/first_avenue/
223 1st Ave, New York
(646) 722-6565

Posted on: 2009/1/5 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
heights wrote: Quote:
Willy_Lopez wrote: Quote:
Hey I'm that Dork ! At least I'm on the train.
True, but you're still a dork.
I think we are grown-up enough not to worry about being a DORK. A folding bike is a practical tool for commuting.
If ya gotta be a dork, at least be a cool dork. This thing is a dorkchick magnet.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:

Quote:

I think we are grown-up enough not to worry about being a DORK. A folding bike is a practical tool for commuting.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 13:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
Which is cool I guess if you run a bikeshop.

Just walk it or take a cab since you can afford it.

Man... I used to be a big asshole on this board until people like Willy Lopez and fat-ass-bike started hanging out and I realized how shitty it was. I hope you get your shit together and realize that when times are tough, putting people down anonymously doesn't actually help you in the long run. It doesn't come close. Get over yourself.

That said, I have a few things to add...

1.) WORK - Not everyone has to go to NYC every day for work. If you do, don't worry. The PATH isn't as bad as driving to work every day, so don't feel bad about it. You can feel bad about the $240 though. I'm employed by the state of NJ and I ride my bike to work every day, rain or snow or cold or shine, because I have no choice. Public transit doesn't take me where I need to go. Newark, Kearny, Hoboken, wherever. If we all lived in California it would be great, but bike commuting sucks. $240 doesn't even come close to covering the misery of having to ride our streets every single day. If you can do it, great. If you can't but really want to, move to Brooklyn. This really isn't even an option for most people living in JC, unless you really want to do the 20-30 mile land route over the GWB. I'm not even sure why this thread is here.

2.) GROCERIES. Riding a bike to the grocery store the easiest thing in the world. Go to a bike shop, buy the biggest messenger bag they have, and you can get used to doing all your shopping by bike the first time you do it. I live over by 1st and Brunswick, and at this point I'll only shop at the A&P north of Newport after too many horror stories from the stores closer to me. My last trip there I bought: 5lb bag of onions; four 10oz. cans of black beans; celery; broccoli; two cans diced tomatoes; 1/2 gallon of milk; one pound of tofu; eight pack of AA's. It was 22 degrees out. Was it a pain in the ass? Yes. But our bodies are based on the millenniums of torture our ancestors went through back when they had to harvest/hunt all of their own food, and you'd be surprised how much you're capable of if you mentally force yourself into believing that you have no other choice.

3.) EXERCISE - Get used to doing normal shit like grocery shopping, riding your bike to bars (especially Hoboken.. cabs to Maxwell's/DC's/wherever get tiresome very quickly), going to the park, whatever. You won't even notice that you're getting exercise if you actually learn to enjoy the ride. The only reason I'm in shape is because, as physically demanding as biking can be (and it's usually not with our zero-grade streets), the fun of rolling around the streets and having a vastly improved scale of mobility easily overrides any physical discomfort that comes from exerting yourself when you're not used to it.

Anyway... enough ranting. I hope that whenever that alleged grove street bike shop opens you guys will consider buying a bike and actually using it. Stay away from Target bikes unless you have a full bike repair kit ready to go the day you bring your POS home. Any questions about biking in this sad town of ours, please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 9:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Sweet! Now if only there were a direct way to get to NYC from Jersey City by bike...

this tax break thing could work......sometimes.........as long as you live in a warm state......like California.

as far as the rest of the country, most states are not warm year round, making bike commuting irrational for most people. most people need a car for other things other than getting to and from work, like lugging groceries, family trips, vacations, etc. etc., and to own a car, make payments on it, not to mention having to keep it insured all year round.....it just doesn't make sense to own the car and not use it.

in my opinion, the bike thing is a good thing, but it's so selective. there are very few people that can realistically do it, and the American infrastructure is just not designed for it, even in it's most important cities.

i think we'll all be driving electric cars before they put in bike routes everywhere.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 6:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I think that anyone on a bike and not in a car is a good thing. As far as athleticism goes I would say they have good lungs and legs but athletic? The benefit of exercise is the production of endorphins which helps people regulate stress and be happier. The bike dorks in Central Park and elsewhere can be real angry douche-bags. Their attitude doesn't real match their limited skills.

I agree. Any bike on the road is better than a car under any circumstance. Everyone is a douchebag regardless of their hobby though. Roadbikers are atleast in control and genuinely enjoy bike riding. The vast majority of Dahon bozos are using bikes as a means to save money, or 'go green'. Which is cool I guess if you run a bikeshop.

Quote:

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
The only real way to bike commute during rush-hour from JC to Manhattan is to take the ferry which is expensive but so worth it to not have to fight to get off the train, even without a bike. It's a real pleasure. Too bad they don't run on weekends. If they did run them on weekends the 3 year WTC path station closure would be an easier pill to swallow.

" the only real way "?? The ferry is like close to 20$ a day roundtrip. That alone means you make money by even suggesting it as a solution. Skipping a 4$ roundtrip mta fare doesn't make you green. Just walk it or take a cab since you can afford it.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 4:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Not being able to ride into the city direct from JC... sucks!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/5 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/1/5 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
No bikes on the path from 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30 pm. So that excludes just about everyone. Unless you want to be that dork riding a dahon.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Are you one of those people that wears a biking jersey? Talk about dorks! I see those guys racing around Central Park like they're Lance Armstrong! It's like wearing an entire Yankees uniform for a softball game. Those Armstrong-wannabes are the real DORKS.

I've never owned a roadbike or wear any bike specific apparel. As cooky as some of them look you have to respect their athleticism. I respect them a whole lot more than joe schmoe on the folding bike with zero bike control clogging up the streets.

I think that anyone on a bike and not in a car is a good thing. As far as athleticism goes I would say they have good lungs and legs but athletic? The benefit of exercise is the production of endorphins which helps people regulate stress and be happier. The bike dorks in Central Park and elsewhere can be real angry douche-bags. Their attitude doesn't real match their limited skills.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 22:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Are you one of those people that wears a biking jersey? Talk about dorks! I see those guys racing around Central Park like they're Lance Armstrong! It's like wearing an entire Yankees uniform for a softball game. Those Armstrong-wannabes are the real DORKS.

I've never owned a roadbike or wear any bike specific apparel. As cooky as some of them look you have to respect their athleticism. I respect them a whole lot more than joe schmoe on the folding bike with zero bike control clogging up the streets.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
No bikes on the path from 6:30am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30 pm. So that excludes just about everyone. Unless you want to be that dork riding a dahon.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 21:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
1)i'm willing to bet JC isn't your hometown.
2)you do care about people think or you wouldnt waste time googling those hideous pictures
3) that chic embodies why the rest of the cycling world crack jokes on folders. shes most likely going 3mph all jittery and uncoordinated. she's on the phone, and she's going the wrong way completely oblivious to the 'macho hicks' that ride at speed safely for real transportation. not some afternoon joyride in search of that new organic bakery.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:

Haha

There are lots of folders out there - even some classic old bikes like Schwinns and Raleighs - also known as "Twenties" because of their wheel size.
Resized Image
There are even new folding Schwinns for $169 through the Sports Authority store:
Resized Image
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3164887
They are much lighter than the old classics -- but I think even they are now made by Dahon!

By the way, Ikea has even starting to sell folders in Europe:
Resized Image
Nice "City Bike" / "Utilitarian Bike" look -- but most of what I have bought from there has fallen apart. Check for any particle board pieces!

As for looking like a "dork" -- when I grew up I stopped worrying about what macho hicks in my home town thought.

Here is one of the JClist threads on folders...
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=157032#forumpost157032

Posted on: 2009/1/4 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/1/4 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clowncar wrote:
Sweet! Now if only there were a direct way to get to NYC from Jersey City by bike...

Yeah it's called the PATH train / GW Bridge. Well at least the north end of Manhattan has a "no-cars" lane. We need one down here.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 17:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017