Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City Watch-Updates Thread
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I say kudos, thanks and congrats to Police Officers in capture of armed robbery suspect and actors in posession of multiple weapons. Thanks to Captain McDonough for keeping us all informed too!

Neighbors,

Please take a moment to read about the latest news from the East District Police. They ask that if you have any relevant information to please call the number provided.

Thanks for your continued interest in neighborhood safety.

Have a safe and secure holdiay weekend.

Best to you,

Jennifer K
Downtown Jersey City Watch

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Aug 31, 2006 8:30 AM
Subject: Weapons and Robbery Suspect
To: JCNWA Community Group < downtownjcwatch@gmail.com>

Wednesday August 30, 2006

Late Tuesday night East District officers arrested five individuals sitting in a car smoking marijuana in the area of York and Brunswick Sts. Beside possessing marijuana and cocaine they were in possession of two handguns, a .45 semi-automatic and a .22 caliber handgun. The suspects are identified as Pat Anderson, 27, of Brunswick Street; Katie Hobsted, 28, of Palisade Avenue; and Montgomery Street residents Shaheen Thomas, 19, Malik Gibson, 24, and Angel Padin, 18. All were charged with multiple weapons and drug offenses, and remanded to the Hudson County Jail.

Thursday August 31, 2006

Early this morning East district officers arrested a armed robbery suspect in the area of York and Varick sts. The suspect identified as twenty year old Michael Williams of Montgomery st reportedly robbed a female at knifepoint on Bright st . Undercover officers working the area because of previous area robberies spotted the suspect walking through a parking lot. After a brief foot chase the suspect was apprehended and found to be in possession of the knife and robbery proceeds. East District Detectives are now comparing this suspect to previous reported robberies. Anyone who has information relevant to previous robberies please call the East District Detectives at 547-5065 or 547-5066 or e-mail the information.

Regards,

Captain Brian McDonough
East District Commander

Posted on: 2006/9/1 6:10
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/6 23:47
From Jersey City - "the village"
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all your hard work and If I'm not stuck at work I'll be there.
Some good news was the police were at Basic last week investigating an attempted break in.The officer there was very helpful and answered some of our questions about break-ins and he said they have made some arrests in some of the burgalaries. The police are paying attention, but clearly the more eyes which are watching in the neighborhoods, the better.

Quote:

e-eff wrote:
Thanks JC-i, and adding Neener's neighbor's robbery makes it quite a horrible weekend.

Next DTJC meeting is on Monday 9/11, if you can make it please come, 7 pm at Grace Church on Erie.

Posted on: 2006/8/28 2:46
"Never confuse dissent with disloyality" - Thomas Paine

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/8 0:27
Group:
Registered Users
BrightMoment,

Thank you so much for being proactive and keeping us informed. This community will only be safe if people take ownership and stop complaining. It's refreshing to read posts like these instead of "I think I maybe possibly saw something" or "something must be done!"

Posted on: 2006/8/27 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Update from the East District Police on recent crime activity

Fri 8/25/06 9:30 PM

Neighbors,

Please note that we have received word that the East District police are well aware of the issues in Hamilton Park and surrounding areas. They are taking active steps to seek and apprehend perpetrators. You might have read our last email where a person was apprehended at 10th & Jersey.

In the meantime, they have passed on some helpful precautionary tips to minimize opportunities for crime. Of course, we should not have to think in these terms, but realistically it is helpful if we all take steps to protect ourselves and our possessions.

-Bike owners should secure their bikes with a strong lock, inscribe their drivers license onto to the bike for future identification purposes and not leave their bikes outside for extended periods of time unattended.

-Secure your belongings and take them out of places where they are visible to strangers on the street; for example, don't leave laptops or ipods by an open window visible from the street; do not leave such items visible in your car

-Improve security at points of access, meaning: lock your cars, your doors and your windows - even if it is hot out!

-Keep your eyes open for suspicious actors hurriedly trying to enter cars or dwellings. Stay in touch with the East District PD (201)547-5477, your neighbors and us about things you are seeing -- it matters!!

If anyone has any information that would lead to the identification and/or actor's(s) please contact the East District or JCPD's tip line at 547-(JAIL) 5245

Have a safe weekend!

Jennifer K.

--
This email was brought to you by the Downtown Jersey City Watch (downtownjcwatch@gmail.com). "We watch out for each other."

Please send in any information about suspicious events or crimes to this address.

Posted on: 2006/8/26 23:27
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
A noticeboard would help.

Robin.

Good suggestion. Do you or others here know of place(s) to make these postings with flyers on notice boards? If you do, just download and print the signs/notices linked here in this thread and post them yourselves.

If you know a church, laundromat, etc you might post then ask them and post it yourself.

Thanks, Robin!

Posted on: 2006/8/24 20:42
Resized Image

Time to police the police???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Something is not right downtown. All possible causes of the current problem must be looked at to find a solution.

Who is policing the police? I am not making accusations, but if I didn't know any better I'd think that there was a "good old boys" network in the JCPD that is a carry over from former chief Troy, and from prior chiefs.

In Hoboken it was discovered that the cops were taking naps while they should have been patrolling. 13 were reprimanded.

Can we count on the JCPD to police themselves -- not just in ward E, but everywhere in JC? We need Chief Comey to explain to us what is going on and what he plans on doing!

See below from Jersey Journal.

Reprimands for 13 cops 'not patrolling' Hoboken
Saturday, August 12, 2006
By BONNIE FRIEDMAN
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
HOBOKEN - Thirteen members of the Police Department were reprimanded this week in the wake of a 14-month investigation that ended with the resignation of the department's highest ranking female police officer, said Chief Carmen LaBruno.

According to LaBruno, GPS tracking devices used as evidence against Capt. Karen Dimonde - who resigned last month after admitting that she wasn't showing up for her midnight-to-8 a.m. shift - proved that others on Dimonde's command were also slacking off.

"Our observations coupled with the GPS showed that a substantial number of officers were not patrolling or that their patrol patterns were inconsistent with our policy," said LaBruno, noting that there are roughly 25 cops assigned to the nighttime shift.

LaBruno said five police officers agreed to accept a three-day suspension, followed by five days of work without pay, five others were given reprimands and ordered to work without pay for one to three days, and three superiors received written reprimands.

The five officers who have accepted suspension are: Donald Rosso, William Collins, Glorybi Garcia, Ryan Dimone and Marco Grossman.

Police Officers Danilo Cabrera, Juan Madera, Leonard Cattaneo, John Cirillo and Michael Miranda have been given written reprimands and will give back various days, and Sgts. John Orrico, Anthony Pasculli and Peter Vannin received written reprimands.

Any future violations by these officers will result in them being fired, LaBruno added.

Detective Vince Lombardi, president of the Hoboken Police Officers Benevolent Association, called the disciplinary actions "severe and unwarranted."

"The officers involved were available and on patrol," Lombardi said. "The tracking system just shows that the car wasn't moving. To drive around in a police car for eight hours is physically and mentally impossible."

Lombardi had hoped the police officers would fight the administrative charges, but said they were likely intimidated by Dimonde's resignation.

? 2006 The Jersey Journal
? 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
I'd like to join you but I'm afraid of that neighborhood at night.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missa wrote:
i don't live in hamilton park, but i would like to go.

Downtown Jersey City Watch welcomes all, irrespective of where you live in JC.

Where we meet is actually in Harsimus Cove but members live all over downtown jc and other areas.

We have helped other neighborhood groups set-up, liason with Guardian Angels, make contacts, etc.

We'll look for ya missa!

Posted on: 2006/8/24 19:50
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ccitizen wrote:

It would be great if we could figure out a way to get these reports distributed to people beyond the reach of the meetings and jclist. Hopefully this can be discussed at the next meeting.

In my experience one of the best ways to get the police and the politicians to make changes is to make as many people as possible aware of what's going on. I'm thinking of willing stores; Postings on poles; handing out at the park/grove station on weekends.

This will also help get the realtors and developers on their backs.

All great suggestions ccitizen. Downtown JC Watch, and all the members of the various Downtown JC Neighborhood Coaliton groups are entirely volunteer and each of us initiates our own efforts.

When you say, ccitizen, "...figure out a way to get these reports distributed to people beyond the reach of the meetings and jclist." We've figured this out a long time ago and posted how to do this.

We've asked repeatedly that all don't just post here at jclist about some problem/crime, etc, but send a copy of incident to both the East District Commander, Captain McDonough and to Downtown Jersey City Watch.

Both emails are in this thread. You will then be on the Watch list for notifications. Any East District emails I post here myself as does jc_insomniac.

Persons like jc_insomniac, pchops, myself and others do postings here at jclist, make flyers, post pdf/jpeg links to download and post update notices here from Downtown JC Watch.

Others, like Jenn organize the monthly agenda for meetings, shedule speakers, etc.

My point is that we need everyone helping out wherever you might. If you can dowload and print the links I posted here for the signs/posters, then do so. If you, your neighbors, friends might print these flyers, post on poles do so. If you or others might hand out notices at park/grove station, do so.

Jennymayla is a good example: she compiled a media list and posted here. If you want to contact the media than do so.

Come to the next Downtown Jersey City Watch mtg. on 9/11 and add your voice, volunteer to help do whatever, complain, etc.

We must act both together and individually to do what we might to both support the Police and co-operatively act to bring media attention and by our actions as citizens, work with any group that will focus on these problems, IMHO.

It starts with volunteering to do something, beyond making suggestions.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 19:47
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/4 17:46
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Australian: Each time we go for a walk (30 min walk) we find at least 10+ cars with either open windows where a hand could fit through or an unlocked door (but closed). Funny, back when I lived in San Francisco and had to street park, the general idea was that if you didn't have a very expensive car, get a removable radio and leave your door unlocked. The idea is that people who are looking to steal radios or other stuff out of the car are going to do it so fast that they don't really care about alarms. But, most of the bastards check the door first before smashing the window in (there was always plenty of shattered glass pellets lining the curbs of my neighborhood), so it saves having to buy a new window, and there was nothing of value in the car itself. The only time it backfired was when I found a homeless guy sleeping in the back seat one rainy morning. Whole car smelled like shiat for a week AFTER I had the interior washed.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 19:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
i don't live in hamilton park, but i would like to go.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
A noticeboard would help.

Robin.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 19:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/22 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Aug 23, 2006 1:12 AM

To All,

I have received some startling information regarding criminal behavior in our neighborhood to share with all of you from my neighbors.

Various neighbors have told me about our area criminals who have been around lately helping themselves to our neighborhood! Seems that these creeps had quite an eventful weekend this past weekend 8/19--8/20/2006!.

Besides the 8th Street/Hamilton Park mugging at 11:30pm this past Friday night 8/18/06, there have been other criminal acts!

Basic on 8th was broken into (again in less that a month)overnight on Wednesday 8/16/06.

The following stores were broken into over this past weekend 8/19/06--8/20/06:

Go Gourmet on Jersey Avenue :
Again in less than a month. The store installed a dead bolt since the last break-in. This time the door was badly damaged, but the thugs did not gain entry. The police responding to the store's call Monday morning told the workers there that a lot of the police officers are on vacation so there is not a lot on duty to take care of all these break-ins. What???
The store street area does not have proper street lighting, it is very dark. The workers told me they are afraid and very scared when they leave to go home after work.

GabaBoolz: Broken into, stole equipment/machinery.

Kome Gashi: Broken into, robbed.

Balance Hair Salon on Erie (near the police station).

Home on 9th: A house was broken into and robbed on 9th Street across from the Hamilton Park Nursing Home.

House on 8th: A young couple's house had thugs trying their front door. The couple heard their door being tried. Thugs fled when they came out to look and see.

A woman's bicycle was stolen from the front of her home on Coles, Monday 8/21/06 in the afternoon around 2pm. She went to the Laundromat on 7th. As she headed back home up Coles, she heard a bicycle coming down Coles towards her with the rider ringing the bicycle's bell.....she recognized the bell and realized it was her bicycle and stopped the kid and got him off her bike and called the police.

[/quote]

It would be great if we could figure out a way to get these reports distributed to people beyond the reach of the meetings and jclist. Hopefully this can be discussed at the next meeting.

In my experience one of the best ways to get the police and the politicians to make changes is to make as many people as possible aware of what's going on. I'm thinking of willing stores; Postings on poles; handing out at the park/grove station on weekends.

This will also help get the realtors and developers on their backs.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
i'll be there too.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/30 2:50
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Skadave and I will definitely be there.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/22 17:57
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be there.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 17:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks JC-i, and adding Neener's neighbor's robbery makes it quite a horrible weekend.

Next DTJC meeting is on Monday 9/11, if you can make it please come, 7 pm at Grace Church on Erie.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 16:47
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the latest email from the Downtown JC Watch list. To be added to the mailing list, send an email to downtownjcwatch@gmail.com. Incidents here have been reported/cross-posted in other JCList threads. Quote:
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:27:12 -0400 From: "Downtown Jersey City Watch" <downtownjcwatch@gmail.com> Subject: Fwd: Update from 8/16--8/20/2006 Friends and Neighbors, Please note the concerns about Hamilton Park (see below). We have reached out to the Councilman, who has reached out to the Chief of Police. We expect a report back shortly on steps they are going to be taking. Once we get that information, we will share it with you. Very best, Jennifer K ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: REDACTED Date: Aug 23, 2006 1:12 AM To All, I have received some startling information regarding criminal behavior in our neighborhood to share with all of you from my neighbors. Various neighbors have told me about our area criminals who have been around lately helping themselves to our neighborhood! Seems that these creeps had quite an eventful weekend this past weekend 8/19--8/20/2006!. Besides the 8th Street/Hamilton Park mugging at 11:30pm this past Friday night 8/18/06, there have been other criminal acts! Basic on 8th was broken into (again in less that a month)overnight on Wednesday 8/16/06. The following stores were broken into over this past weekend 8/19/06--8/20/06: Go Gourmet on Jersey Avenue : Again in less than a month. The store installed a dead bolt since the last break-in. This time the door was badly damaged, but the thugs did not gain entry. The police responding to the store's call Monday morning told the workers there that a lot of the police officers are on vacation so there is not a lot on duty to take care of all these break-ins. What??? The store street area does not have proper street lighting, it is very dark. The workers told me they are afraid and very scared when they leave to go home after work. GabaBoolz: Broken into, stole equipment/machinery. Kome Gashi: Broken into, robbed. Balance Hair Salon on Erie (near the police station). Home on 9th: A house was broken into and robbed on 9th Street across from the Hamilton Park Nursing Home. House on 8th: A young couple's house had thugs trying their front door. The couple heard their door being tried. Thugs fled when they came out to look and see. A woman's bicycle was stolen from the front of her home on Coles, Monday 8/21/06 in the afternoon around 2pm. She went to the Laundromat on 7th. As she headed back home up Coles, she heard a bicycle coming down Coles towards her with the rider ringing the bicycle's bell.....she recognized the bell and realized it was her bicycle and stopped the kid and got him off her bike and called the police.

Posted on: 2006/8/24 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Thanks for the signs, BrightMoment! Too bad no one makes decals anymore. If I was craftier with my printer I suppose I could whip out a batch but I'll save that for a rainy day (well, like tomorrow, supposed to pour I think).

In the meantime, I'm printing some out now and will distribute them at our next condo meeting too.

Posted on: 2006/8/19 23:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
I'm basically new to my area of JC and I don't own a vehicle, so I do a lot of walking with my son around the neighborhood.
Each time we go for a walk (30 min walk) we find at least 10+ cars with either open windows where a hand could fit through or an unlocked door (but closed).

As an idea - When the neighborhood watch group go around on their patrol, they could look out for similar vehicles and vehicles that have left their headlights on or even vehicles that have had their steering column locks punched.
(likely a stolen vehicle).
If you are really keen, look at the tires to see if there is a lot of dirt or dust around them that might indicate they haven't moved in a long time and could be stolen or abandon then call the Police to check.

These activities should be part of JCPA duties.

If you know your area well, you might know who owns the vehicle and let them know.
If you don't, inform the JCPD via a phone call that you would like to secure the vehicle by telling them of your location and registration number of the vehicle and you intend to open the door so as to lock it. (this phone call will let Police know you are not a thief if people call to say that there is a group hanging around a vehicle)

I would even leave a calling card under the wiper or inside the vehicle on the dash to say they had left their car open and the neighborhood watch group secured it for you. This would be great for PR and recruitment.

Posted on: 2006/8/19 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Thanks for the posting, BrightMoment. Where can we pick up the "We Watch" sign for our apartment and maybe even the car?

Would be great if it was something that could be downloaded or e-mailed out -- I would love to send it to a bunch of friends to use as well. The more of those signs we get out there, the better the impact.

Okay here are the PDF links for the signs:

Join the Watch

We Watch

Posted on: 2006/8/18 5:37
Resized Image

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/7 14:37
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the report Bright.

Posted on: 2006/8/17 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Thanks for the posting, BrightMoment. Where can we pick up the "We Watch" sign for our apartment and maybe even the car?

Would be great if it was something that could be downloaded or e-mailed out -- I would love to send it to a bunch of friends to use as well. The more of those signs we get out there, the better the impact.

Good question and suggestion!

I've emailed the organizers of DJCW (how 'bout them consonant acronyms, huh, quite a mouthful) and asked that they send me either a link to download signs or send me the digital files as jpeg/PDF so I might upload them to my server and provide a link here.

As soon as I get a reply I'll post here.

..................................................................................

Thank you for doing this. It makes sense to advertise
our watchfulness. Gotta let them criminals know we're
keepin an eye out!
Years ago, when NJ State subsidized neighborhood
watchgroups (and by the way: back then the cops fought
having blockwatchgroups like mad) they gave out
window decals for each household that was a member of
the blockwatch. But I suppose that the money for
that program has dried up.
So, we'll do it on our own, if need be.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2006/8/17 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

Good question and suggestion!

I've emailed the organizers of DJCW (how 'bout them consonant acronyms, huh, quite a mouthful) and asked that they send me either a link to download signs or send me the digital files as jpeg/PDF so I might upload them to my server and provide a link here.

As soon as I get a reply I'll post here.

Posted on: 2006/8/17 7:48
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2006/8/16 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Subject: DJCW Meeting Wrap-Up (phone list attached) Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:38:11 -0400 From: Downtown Jersey City Watch <downtownjcwatch@gmail.com> Dear Neighbors, Attached to this email is a PDF list of useful Jersey City phone numbers. (Here is link for jpeg until I have time to link PDF) http://static.flickr.com/91/217060670_64ab9c5f84_o.jpg Here is PDF link for JC Phone Numbers: JC Phone Numbers We encourage that you post this list in your home or building. Please feel free to share it. Below are the notes from the DJCW meeting of Monday, August 14th. In addition to Prosecutor Edward DeFazio, Jersey City Chief of Police Thomas Comey and Captain Brian McDonough from the East District made some remarks and took questions from the group. Edward DeFazio, Hudson County Prosecutor ? He and his colleagues deal with prosecuting for all of Hudson County ? They deal with 10,000 defendants a year. They secure 5,000 indictments a year. ? Ed lives downtown and understands the issues here. ? When asked about closed-circuit TV: feels that it is difficult to get good enough resolution to positively ID someone used for corroboration of an event. This is always the challenge. Videotapes from private residence are admissible, but can't be the only evidence. However, cameras themselves can be a deterrent to property crime in particular. ? Percentage of murders cleared by arrest (they arrested someone but the person has not necessarily been to trial yet or been convicted: 75%-80%. This is a very high percentage compared to cities like Washington D.C ., where the cleared by arrest statistic is closer to 50%. ? They seize cash, cars and real property from drug arrests. Most of this money goes right back into law enforcement costs. A small percentage goes to community activities that keep kids off the streets such as Boys and Girls Club. ? NJ has pretty tough gun control laws but trafficking is a problem. ? Many guns used in crimes here come from Pennsylvania, where the gun control laws are severely lacking. ? To work on this and other issues, a U.S. Marshals office is opening in Secaucus to cover the Hudson county area. ? He feels that our law enforcement and his office do a good job, but there is always room to improve, and they are working on that. He also feels that the police have begun to enact changes that will yield improvements in response volume and time. ? Feels that groups like the DJCW are crucial at dealing with some of the more intractable crime problems; that police and the courts cannot do it by themselves. Citizen involvement makes the difference! ? Recidivism: feels that this has some deeper societal causes, and that it is hard to control. Having said that, the laws around drug sentencing here are fair and comprehensive. ? Nuisance crimes (non-prosecutable) is the largest issue in the Downtown area, and that consistent cooperation between police, businesses and citizens can help improve the situation. Police Chief Thomas J. Comey ? Eventually, police will be able to get direct video feeds right in their patrol cars from one of the over 65 surveillance cameras located throughout Jersey City. This will facilitate apprehension of crimes in progress. ? There was a delay in deploying the Curfew Van downtown, but that is happening by September. ? The Jersey City police responded to 23,500 calls in July. This is a significant increase and is an indicator of better police response times and interactions with the public. ? His goal is to continuously increase that response and deploy police most effectively. Compstat is actively being used and it is helping them assign police where the need is most urgent. ? The problem, as always, is limited resources. He pointed out that Newark Airport provides Newark with $40 million in revenue a year which helps to defray the costs for law enforcement. If Jersey City were to get all of the police it needs, he believes that it would increase our tax rate because of the prohibitive expense. ? So his goal is to keep increasing efficiency. For example, for crimes that are nuisance crimes or not life-threatening, the PD will not necessarily deploy a patrol car, but a bike officer instead. The patrol car can then be deployed for urgent crimes. Captain Brian McDonough ? Car theft/burglary is still the main crime in downtown. He emphasized the need for citizens to minimize crimes of opportunity by: ---------------Not leaving valuables visible in your car ---------------When possible, parking in a well-lighted area away from trees ? Recently the PD made a few arrests for assaults and some juveniles were brought in for questioning. Their parents were called in to get them; after that, certain types of assaults stopped. His point was that sometimes, one group or person could be generating a lot of the activity in a given area. If that person or group is apprehended, it can have a big positive impact. ? Emphasized to please call in incidents and nuisance crimes; they do read all emails, and all calls are logged. ? Call response times depend on the demand on the police and the urgency of the crime at any given time. They work very hard to respond as quickly as possible, when possible. ? Compared to last year, violent crimes in JC are down significantly. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The DJCW distributed "We Watch" cards to put in windows, the new phone list and general DJCW information. They also discussed community engagement efforts driven by the JCPD to create weekly channels of interaction and information-sharing about crime-related issues throughout the city. The DJCW actively participates and shares information on incidents and complaints with representatives throughout JC. SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR GUEST SPEAKERS AND ALL THE VOLUNTEERS WHO SUPPORTED NATIONAL NIGHT OUT! See you next month. __._,_.___

Posted on: 2006/8/16 18:49

Edited by BrightMoment on 2006/8/16 19:05:23
Edited by BrightMoment on 2006/8/16 19:11:21
Resized Image

Re:Jersey City Reporter article 7/22/06
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting the article, BrightMoment. It was a pretty accurate chronicle of the patrol. Hopefully we'll get more volunteers for the next one. And to those of you who will be in town on August 1st, hope you make it to National Night Out.

Posted on: 2006/7/23 17:12

Re:Jersey City Reporter article 7/22/06
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Guardian Angles join crime victims on patrol

07/22/2006

Citizen Watch group prowls Downtown Jersey City

Ricardo Kaulessar
rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com
Reporter staff writer

HAVING THEIR BACK
? Members of the Jersey City Chapter of the Guardian Angels flank the back of a Downtown Jersey City Watch patrol group.

Even if they were only able to get eight people together to patrol their part of town on Monday night, the members of the Downtown Jersey City Watch believe their efforts are about "creating a presence" to cut crime in the neighborhood.

"We do not want to confront people. We just want to get to know the people in our neighborhood," said Pam, one of the founders of Downtown Jersey City Watch, which is a grassroots organization made up of downtown residents who have all been victims of crime.

Some in the patrol group requested that their last names not be used in this article.

Pam said there are hundreds of members who communicate via e-mail. They make notes of any suspicious activity or unusual sightings in the neighborhood so that if a crime occurs, the written observations can be submitted to the police as evidence.

To start off Monday night, two members of the Watch - Amy and Heidi - were joined by two members of the Jersey City Chapter of the Guardian Angels, as well as Ryan and Sonia, a couple who resides on Grove Street.
Resized Image

HAVING THEIR BACK ? Members of the Jersey City Chapter of the Guardian Angels flank the back of a Downtown Jersey City Watch patrol group.

They all met at the Beechwood Caf? on Grove Street where they went over their patrol plans for the evening.

Ryan and Sonia have lived in Jersey City for about three years and their car has been broken into at least six times.

"Just recently, someone smashed the window of my 1994 Hyundai Avalon and took the radio and the button to the air conditioner," said Ryan. "After a while, you get tired of paying $100 or more to get your window fixed."
Out on patrol

On Monday night, the patrol started on Grove Street, where they gave out flyers advertising National Night Out on Aug. 1. National Night Out is a police event that has been held the first Tuesday of every August since 1984. It aims to increase awareness about police programs such as drug prevention, town watch, and other anti-crime efforts through block parties and festivals that day.

The group made their way down Grove Street, and Pam noticed immediately that the stretch between York and Grand streets had poor lighting.

She then wrote down the identification number of the streetlight to inform Public Service Electric & Gas to either fix the light or install a new one.

The Guardian Angels always stay at the back of the group.

"Whenever we do these patrols, the Guardian Angels always have our back, making sure to prevent any attacks on us," said Pam.

Guardian Angel Mark Adams, also known as "Barrio," is the leader of the Jersey City Chapter of the Guardian Angels, which covers Jersey City, Newark, and parts of New York City. He is enthusiatic about going on the patrols.

"This is great. I love seeing people come together like this and working to make their communities safer," said Mark. "This helps the Guardian Angels with their job in patrolling the Downtown area.

There are approximately 20 Guardian Angels in the Jersey City Chapter, which includes several Jersey City residents.

The chapter formed earlier this year in response to two muggings of women in Downtown Jersey City.

Walking with Mark was Rico, a 20-year-old resident of the city's Greenville section. Joining the group later was Mike, a Guardian Angel who was not wearing the Angels' colors because he just came home from work.

Dimebags and boys on bikes

On Barrow Street, the group noticed the overgrowth of trees blocking out the streetlights.

"Need to call Public Works to get the trees trimmed," said Pam.

Mike then saw a "dime bag," which is a small plastic bag that usually contains $10 worth of illegal drugs.

"Most people at this time of night would just walk by, but I have been trained to look in all directions," said Mike.

Pam also said that a gray apartment building on the corner of Barrow and Mercer streets is where drugs have been sold.

The group then goes to the corner of Barrow Street and Christopher Columbus Drive, crossing over to go toward Newark Avenue. The group tried not to patrol too long because of the hot weather.

As they walked up Newark Avenue, they continued handing out flyers for National Night Out. They also made note of some young men they saw riding bikes.

The Watch was a bit concerned because sometimes groups of youngsters ride their bikes to look for area drug dealers.

Mike singled out one young man they passed but Rico commented that he is merely "a friend."

"Many times when you're coming home from work, a lot of times you don't always take note of your surroundings," said Ryan. "These patrols are a good way to become more observant."

Amy said that since she started going on these patrols, she has taken a few minutes to drive around her neighborhood to observe any activity when coming home from work.

The patrol ended at the PATH station on Grove Street, where they spot more streetlights that were not lit.

For more information on the Downtown Jersey City Watch, e-mail at downtownjcwatch@gmail.com. There is a monthly meeting on the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at Grace Van Vorst Church, 39 Erie St. Their next meeting is on Aug. 14 where the guest speaker will be Hudson County Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

?The Hudson Reporter 2006

Posted on: 2006/7/22 17:00
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
After having my bike stolen right out of my hallway of my building, I fully support mini surveillance cams. They are so cheap now, and the piece of mind is invaluable. No one's privacy is invaded as it would be in a public place. There are just too many thieves, etc that think they are invisible! Spying is one thing, but this is for the public good. I also live on the top floor, so the only person(s) on the cam are me and friends (who know about it). Anyone else shouldn't be up here to begin with!

Posted on: 2006/7/20 0:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/22 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
folks, this is an important and extremely useful thread. can we please keep at least this one on point?

Posted on: 2006/7/19 21:56

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017