Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 »


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/5/29 3:09
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 699
Offline
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Yvonne, she hates gays (read the many threads she?s posted in on the topic).

No, sorry pal. First of all, you accuse someone, it's on you to prove it.

Second, we were talking about something entirely different. If you don't have any proof of your accusation of racism, you should say so, apologize for the smear and only then we can move on to the new smear of yours.
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
She claims that certain companies don?t hire Americans (her words, exactly).

So?
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
The only reason that she is even saying that is because those people aren?t white.

You can repeat this accusation however many times, with however strong level of conviction, but without proof it remains a libel.
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
I know quite a few Chinese people in Newport; some are citizens, others are not. You might be an immigrant, but I consider you American.

Well, since I don't really care what you consider me, it's neither here nor there in this discussion.
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
As I said before, just because someone is Asian doesn?t mean they aren?t American

I told you already that she didn't even mention Asians. It was all you.
And she never equated Asian with foreigner. Again, it was also you.

P.S. I can't help to notice that the level of your hate for Yvonne greatly exceeds what I would normally expect from you. I have a theory that you're one of those people who believe that woman's role is to be some sort of a sex-reward for a male hero, so when she's obviously beating you in a debate it just drives you off rails. Am I right?

Posted on: 2015/3/3 5:03
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/10/15 17:32
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 766
Offline
Wow. What happened to the original thread? I'm not sure I support these tax breaks, but am not prepared to argue against them. When I lived in NYC, I felt pretty strongly they were corporate welfare/bribes, but JC on the otherhand seems positioned to benefit from some diversification of it's business base - should we consider these tax breaks loss leaders?

Posted on: 2015/2/26 2:16
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Seeing Yvonne's xenophobia on clear display is hysterical. While I'm sure some of these businesses hire foreign workers, not all of the Asians that get jobs are foreigners. It is actually possible to be of Asian descent and be a full blooded American citizen. Shocking, I know.

I'm not a very hysterical person but when people are having fun I'm getting interested. So, on a whim I checked the history of this conversation and I found nothing obviously xenophobic from Yvonne. She proposes a pretty standard "trade war". Same exact thing we do when we tax imports, although instead of giving preferences to American winery owners or car manufacturers, she wants to give preferences to the American labor force. While I don't believe in any trade war of this kind, there is nothing xenophobic about it. Now, I am going to assume that you simply didn't realize all that.
What bothers me is that I'm pretty sure that you are the first one to mention Asians.The fact that you decided to simply manufacture some claims that she didn't make can't be explained simply by the lack of economic understanding. That can only be explained by the lack of common decency.

Yvonne is a xenophobe because she has no factual information backing up her assertions that the people living in Newport are not American. She has simply looked at their skin color and bemoaned the fact that they have jobs in America which are being taken away from "Americans." Calling it xenophobic is being polite since it is more likely racist.

This is also a lie, same as about Asians. Yvonne didn't say anything about skin color. This is the second time you are trying to manufacture statements that she didn't make.

Also, I know quite a few people from Newport, neighbors, coworkers, friends and so on. And every single person I know there, including myself, is or was at some point an immigrant just like what she claims. If you don't know that, it's ok. What is not ok is that being absolutely ignorant of the facts you tried to win an argument by spewing hatred and libel.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
As to the other nonsense you post... you're a homer for anything conservative. It negates all that you post because nothing you post is from a logical position or understanding. It's about "winning."


Funny that you mentioned it. The word "xenophobia" that you use so often means fear or hatred not only of foreigners, but more broadly of anything that is strange, different from what you are used to. Like when you instinctively fear and hate me and dismiss my arguments not on the merit (as you say yourself) but because you feel that I am a conservative, that basically is the textbook xenophobia.

Interesting, is it not?

Yvonne, she hates gays (read the many threads she?s posted in on the topic). She claims that certain companies don?t hire Americans (her words, exactly). The only reason that she is even saying that is because those people aren?t white. She has no records from the companies on exactly how many citizens they do and do not hire. She?s merely projecting based on looking at the faces of those walking around. ?means fear or hatred not only of foreigners, but more broadly of anything that is strange? Seems to be that she?s textbook...

I know quite a few Chinese people in Newport; some are citizens, others are not. You might be an immigrant, but I consider you American.

Let?s look at some of these mean-spirited things she?s said:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember my mother telling me of the sacrifices citizens made to support the war effort during the 1940s. They did without so our soldiers would have the benefit. So yes, I am pro American which does not translate into anti- foreigners. I am not ashamed to be an American, Pebble, are you?

Hmm? so according to Yvonne, you?re not American because your parents didn?t ?do without? to help the war effort. It is an interesting bat-shit crazy argument, but this is the person you are backing...

To answer Yvonne?s question: Americans like her make me embarrassed to be an American. Americans like my parents and grandparents do not.

Here?s more genius:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when AIG, the site this business will take over, went bankrupt. News 12 was interviewing the employees. Some talked about returning to their country, AIG hired many foreign nationals. And we wonder why local citizens cannot find work. 90 Hudson St, received a tax abatement and that business did not hire American people as a rule.

Let?s review this again: ?that business did not hire American people as a rule.?
Evidence of this? Nothing more than News12 interviewing a few employees and possibly one of them said they?d be moving back to the country they were born in.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Sorry, if you get a tax break, hire American citizens.

Is there any evidence that AIG did not hire American citizens? No. Only that a lot of Asians in Newport worked there, which must mean they aren?t Americans like her who had parents that sacrificed during the war or some such nonsense.

And here?s the kicker:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Newport is filled with foreign nationals, who has jobs that Americans cannot get, especially in the banking industry.

Your keywords: Filled, foreign, Americans

As I said before, just because someone is Asian doesn?t mean they aren?t American. Holding this belief is xenophobic and borders on racism.

Lastly, I dismiss many of your arguments not because they are conservative. There are lots of valid conservative arguments. I dismiss yours because they are stupid. Considering you've just wasted a lot of time sticking up for a known bigot, the evidence is quite clear on this subject.

Posted on: 2015/2/25 13:31
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/5/29 3:09
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 699
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Seeing Yvonne's xenophobia on clear display is hysterical. While I'm sure some of these businesses hire foreign workers, not all of the Asians that get jobs are foreigners. It is actually possible to be of Asian descent and be a full blooded American citizen. Shocking, I know.

I'm not a very hysterical person but when people are having fun I'm getting interested. So, on a whim I checked the history of this conversation and I found nothing obviously xenophobic from Yvonne. She proposes a pretty standard "trade war". Same exact thing we do when we tax imports, although instead of giving preferences to American winery owners or car manufacturers, she wants to give preferences to the American labor force. While I don't believe in any trade war of this kind, there is nothing xenophobic about it. Now, I am going to assume that you simply didn't realize all that.
What bothers me is that I'm pretty sure that you are the first one to mention Asians.The fact that you decided to simply manufacture some claims that she didn't make can't be explained simply by the lack of economic understanding. That can only be explained by the lack of common decency.

Yvonne is a xenophobe because she has no factual information backing up her assertions that the people living in Newport are not American. She has simply looked at their skin color and bemoaned the fact that they have jobs in America which are being taken away from "Americans." Calling it xenophobic is being polite since it is more likely racist.

This is also a lie, same as about Asians. Yvonne didn't say anything about skin color. This is the second time you are trying to manufacture statements that she didn't make.

Also, I know quite a few people from Newport, neighbors, coworkers, friends and so on. And every single person I know there, including myself, is or was at some point an immigrant just like what she claims. If you don't know that, it's ok. What is not ok is that being absolutely ignorant of the facts you tried to win an argument by spewing hatred and libel.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
As to the other nonsense you post... you're a homer for anything conservative. It negates all that you post because nothing you post is from a logical position or understanding. It's about "winning."


Funny that you mentioned it. The word "xenophobia" that you use so often means fear or hatred not only of foreigners, but more broadly of anything that is strange, different from what you are used to. Like when you instinctively fear and hate me and dismiss my arguments not on the merit (as you say yourself) but because you feel that I am a conservative, that basically is the textbook xenophobia.

Interesting, is it not?

Posted on: 2015/2/25 6:40
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Seeing Yvonne's xenophobia on clear display is hysterical. While I'm sure some of these businesses hire foreign workers, not all of the Asians that get jobs are foreigners. It is actually possible to be of Asian descent and be a full blooded American citizen. Shocking, I know.

I'm not a very hysterical person but when people are having fun I'm getting interested. So, on a whim I checked the history of this conversation and I found nothing obviously xenophobic from Yvonne. She proposes a pretty standard "trade war". Same exact thing we do when we tax imports, although instead of giving preferences to American winery owners or car manufacturers, she wants to give preferences to the American labor force. While I don't believe in any trade war of this kind, there is nothing xenophobic about it. Now, I am going to assume that you simply didn't realize all that.
What bothers me is that I'm pretty sure that you are the first one to mention Asians.The fact that you decided to simply manufacture some claims that she didn't make can't be explained simply by the lack of economic understanding. That can only be explained by the lack of common decency.

Yvonne is a xenophobe because she has no factual information backing up her assertions that the people living in Newport are not American. She has simply looked at their skin color and bemoaned the fact that they have jobs in America which are being taken away from "Americans." Calling it xenophobic is being polite since it is more likely racist.

As to the other nonsense you post... you're a homer for anything conservative. It negates all that you post because nothing you post is from a logical position or understanding. It's about "winning."

Posted on: 2015/2/24 13:32
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/5/29 3:09
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 699
Offline
Quote:
fat-ass-bike wrote:
"When Bill Clinton left office in 2001, this country had a $230 billion SURPLUS
When George W Bush left office in 2009, he left this country in a $1.3 TRILLION DEFICIT
This is what the deregulation of Wall Street, two unpaid-for wars and TAX BREAKS FOR THE RICH WILL DO"
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
No tax increases are good, tax abatements for business and developers are bad ... learn from others !


And this is why Mr Gruber has been talking about "lack of economic understanding" of the American voter that made Obamacare fraud possible

Here is an interesting exercise, if you know how to use Excel. Download table 1.1 from here. Then make a plot of receipts (colun B) and outlays (column C), say for 20 years from 1986 to 2006. You will see that at some point the lines intersect with receipts going higher than outlays (that would be what you call "Clinton's" surplus), then at another point they cross again, getting us back to the "Bush's" deficit.

The next exercise - look at the lines and try to notice moments when there are obvious changes in growth rates. Now, point to the changes in receipts and outlays that made the first intersection inevitable. When were those changes? Point to the changes that made the second intersection inevitable. When were those?

Good luck.

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Seeing Yvonne's xenophobia on clear display is hysterical. While I'm sure some of these businesses hire foreign workers, not all of the Asians that get jobs are foreigners. It is actually possible to be of Asian descent and be a full blooded American citizen. Shocking, I know.

I'm not a very hysterical person but when people are having fun I'm getting interested. So, on a whim I checked the history of this conversation and I found nothing obviously xenophobic from Yvonne. She proposes a pretty standard "trade war". Same exact thing we do when we tax imports, although instead of giving preferences to American winery owners or car manufacturers, she wants to give preferences to the American labor force. While I don't believe in any trade war of this kind, there is nothing xenophobic about it. Now, I am going to assume that you simply didn't realize all that.
What bothers me is that I'm pretty sure that you are the first one to mention Asians.The fact that you decided to simply manufacture some claims that she didn't make can't be explained simply by the lack of economic understanding. That can only be explained by the lack of common decency.


Posted on: 2015/2/24 2:11
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/30 12:46
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1762
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Since xenophobia means the fear of foreigners, I think you have your definitions mixed up. Every week I attend a Catholic Church which has people from various ethnic groups attend. The priest who hears my confession is not an American citizen. Plus the students I taught, either they or their parents were not born in the US.
I believe the people who fought in our wars, especially when the draft was activate, their descendants should benefit from any policy on jobs.
I remember my mother telling me of the sacrifices citizens made to support the war effort during the 1940s. They did without so our soldiers would have the benefit. So yes, I am pro American which does not translate into anti- foreigners. I am not ashamed to be an American, Pebble, are you?


Your church doesn't pay taxes and then they turn around and take away jobs from American priests so they can hire foreigners?

Are you ashamed to be an American Catholic, Yvonne?

Posted on: 2015/2/23 22:37
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Since xenophobia means the fear of foreigners, I think you have your definitions mixed up. Every week I attend a Catholic Church which has people from various ethnic groups attend. The priest who hears my confession is not an American citizen. Plus the students I taught, either they or their parents were not born in the US.
I believe the people who fought in our wars, especially when the draft was activate, their descendants should benefit from any policy on jobs.
I remember my mother telling me of the sacrifices citizens made to support the war effort during the 1940s. They did without so our soldiers would have the benefit. So yes, I am pro American which does not translate into anti- foreigners. I am not ashamed to be an American, Pebble, are you?

Posted on: 2015/2/23 21:57
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#36
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
3/15 23:54
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4119
Offline
"When Bill Clinton left office in 2001, this country had a $230 billion SURPLUS

When George W Bush left office in 2009, he left this country in a $1.3 TRILLION DEFICIT

This is what the deregulation of Wall Street, two unpaid-for wars and TAX BREAKS FOR THE RICH WILL DO"

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)


No tax increases are good, tax abatements for business and developers are bad ... learn from others !

Posted on: 2015/2/23 21:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/9/19 17:59
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 454
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Seeing Yvonne's xenophobia on clear display is hysterical. While I'm sure some of these businesses hire foreign workers, not all of the Asians that get jobs are foreigners. It is actually possible to be of Asian descent and be a full blooded American citizen. Shocking, I know.


Wait, what? When did THAT happen?

Posted on: 2015/2/23 16:12
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#34
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Seeing Yvonne's xenophobia on clear display is hysterical. While I'm sure some of these businesses hire foreign workers, not all of the Asians that get jobs are foreigners. It is actually possible to be of Asian descent and be a full blooded American citizen. Shocking, I know.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 15:29
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
This tax break pisses me off for other reasons. Jersey City and other municipalities are constantly bribing companies to be located where they are....

Again: The tax credits in this case were not issued by Jersey City. They were issued by the NJDEA, a state agency.


Quote:
The jobs these companies have are already filled (some by Americans, some by foreigners)...

Again, staffing is not static, people don't stay at companies for life these days. There will be turnover, and if the company is in New Jersey, then NJ residents are more likely to apply.

In addition, this sort of "local job protectionism" mentality is absurd, given how many JC / Hudson County residents work in NYC.

And yes, companies moving to JC provide several ancillary or multiplier economic benefits. They will pay local taxes, even if it's less than without the credit; they will hire local services; they are paying local rents; and yes, eventually they are likely to hire NJ residents.


Will they hire local residents that were unemployed before, or will they hire people who are just switching from a previous job to this company's job?


Given the US has one of the worst tax environments for business, and NJ/NY are two of the worst tax states in the US - these tax breaks stop the bleed, not create employment. But from a NJ perspective - it's little real cost for substantial benefit to revenues.


Posted on: 2015/2/23 14:32
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/6/9 22:10
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 225
Offline
You're leaving out the real estate and construction industries. More bodies here mean more work for them. And RE/construction + associated maintenance are huge economic multiplier industries.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 14:31
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/1 1:03
Last Login :
Today 17:39
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1207
Offline
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
This tax break pisses me off for other reasons. Jersey City and other municipalities are constantly bribing companies to be located where they are....

Again: The tax credits in this case were not issued by Jersey City. They were issued by the NJDEA, a state agency.


Quote:
The jobs these companies have are already filled (some by Americans, some by foreigners)...

Again, staffing is not static, people don't stay at companies for life these days. There will be turnover, and if the company is in New Jersey, then NJ residents are more likely to apply.

In addition, this sort of "local job protectionism" mentality is absurd, given how many JC / Hudson County residents work in NYC.

And yes, companies moving to JC provide several ancillary or multiplier economic benefits. They will pay local taxes, even if it's less than without the credit; they will hire local services; they are paying local rents; and yes, eventually they are likely to hire NJ residents.


Will they hire local residents that were unemployed before, or will they hire people who are just switching from a previous job to this company's job?

Posted on: 2015/2/23 13:02
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 22:56
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1010
Offline
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
This tax break pisses me off for other reasons. Jersey City and other municipalities are constantly bribing companies to be located where they are....

Again: The tax credits in this case were not issued by Jersey City. They were issued by the NJDEA, a state agency.


Quote:
The jobs these companies have are already filled (some by Americans, some by foreigners)...

Again, staffing is not static, people don't stay at companies for life these days. There will be turnover, and if the company is in New Jersey, then NJ residents are more likely to apply.

In addition, this sort of "local job protectionism" mentality is absurd, given how many JC / Hudson County residents work in NYC.

And yes, companies moving to JC provide several ancillary or multiplier economic benefits. They will pay local taxes, even if it's less than without the credit; they will hire local services; they are paying local rents; and yes, eventually they are likely to hire NJ residents.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 13:00
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/1 1:03
Last Login :
Today 17:39
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1207
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
[quote]
La_Verdad wrote:
[quote]
But foreign nationals do work in American industries. Read this: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Reso ... ges/LawYouCanUse-569.aspx


Yvonne, believe me, companies would hire Americans that are qualified for the positions, if they could, rather than have the added cost of sponsoring employment visas foreign nationals. This sort of thing happens a lot in the investment banking, engineering and management consulting industries.
I speak from experience (sort of), being married to a foreign national.

This tax break pisses me off for other reasons. Jersey City and other municipalities are constantly bribing companies to be located where they are, justifying it all by all the great jobs the company is going to bring to the area. It's a load of crap, almost always. The jobs these companies have are already filled (some by Americans, some by foreigners), and even if they are going to hire any local Jersey City residents, who says the locals will stay in Jersey City after being hired? These companies that come in do NOTHING to make a dent in the long-term chronically unemployed, as they rarely have any job training or teach any life management skills (nor should they be expected to). These tax breaks only make any real sense in extremely rural farming communities with 20%+ unemployment and where people aren't likely to move out of the area so easily, i.e. the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska. Telephone call centers, before being outsourced to India were often located in states like these. Companies would look for a community with high unemployment and cheap land, go in and build a call center, provide the minimal training that working in a call center requires, and unemployment in those places would disappear overnight. People who got jobs in the call centers didn't move out of the communities because they really had nowhere else to move, it was all out in the middle of nowhere. Here, it's much too easy to get a good job somewhere and commute on public transit. Plus, when the tax break expires, the company will just move back to New York or threaten to do so unless it gets another tax break.

At best, these new jobs won't result in much more than spillover traffic to the nearby restaurants and bars.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 3:31

Edited by caj11 on 2015/2/23 3:48:11
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
...
I suggest you contact News 12 who did the interview, I did not do the interview. It was their piece. But foreign nationals do work in American industries. Read this: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Reso ... ges/LawYouCanUse-569.aspx


Most of those American companies are in fact global multinational industries - that also have a lot of Americans working overseas. Companies competing in the global marketplace actively encourage the pollination of ideas that cross-country mobility brings.

That's not to say we shouldn't be questioning the benefit of the tax breaks to JC.


The issue for me: These companies are getting tax breaks locally as well from the state: therefore, they should hire Americans. I am sure other countries might feel the say way, which I understand. But I doubt those countries give tax breaks to hire Americans and not their own citizens.


They hire Americans. But generally their job fairs will be at the ivy league colleges, not Dickinson HS.

Other countries quite happily give huge tax breaks to multinationals irrespective of citizenship of the employees. http://taxfoundation.org/article/2014 ... tax-competitiveness-index

Might want to ask why billions of dollars of US company profits are parked offshore. Simple answer - the US has probably the least friendly corporate tax structure. You want more local jobs - fix the broken tax structure.


Posted on: 2015/2/23 3:25
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
...
I suggest you contact News 12 who did the interview, I did not do the interview. It was their piece. But foreign nationals do work in American industries. Read this: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Reso ... ges/LawYouCanUse-569.aspx


Most of those American companies are in fact global multinational industries - that also have a lot of Americans working overseas. Companies competing in the global marketplace actively encourage the pollination of ideas that cross-country mobility brings.

That's not to say we shouldn't be questioning the benefit of the tax breaks to JC.


The issue for me: These companies are getting tax breaks locally as well from the state: therefore, they should hire Americans. I am sure other countries might feel the say way, which I understand. But I doubt those countries give tax breaks to hire Americans and not their own citizens.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 3:10
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
...
I suggest you contact News 12 who did the interview, I did not do the interview. It was their piece. But foreign nationals do work in American industries. Read this: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Reso ... ges/LawYouCanUse-569.aspx


Most of those American companies are in fact global multinational industries - that also have a lot of Americans working overseas. Companies competing in the global marketplace actively encourage the pollination of ideas that cross-country mobility brings.

That's not to say we shouldn't be questioning the benefit of the tax breaks to JC.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 2:44
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/23 16:11
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 439
Offline
Maybe the locals aren't as educated or qualified. If they were they would probably be sought after. It's capitalism and darwin. You want it? Earn it, there is not entitlement.
I doubt they didn't hire Americans as a rule, that would actually hinder their ability to be competitive.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when AIG, the site this business will take over, went bankrupt. News 12 was interviewing the employees. Some talked about returning to their country, AIG hired many foreign nationals. And we wonder why local citizens cannot find work. 90 Hudson St, received a tax abatement and that business did not hire American people as a rule.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 2:21
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when AIG, the site this business will take over, went bankrupt. News 12 was interviewing the employees. Some talked about returning to their country, AIG hired many foreign nationals. And we wonder why local citizens cannot find work. 90 Hudson St, received a tax abatement and that business did not hire American people as a rule.


Yvonne - name three foreign nationals who worked at AIG. Better yet, name three people who worked at AIG. I'd be surprised if you could name one.


I suggest you contact News 12 who did the interview, I did not do the interview. It was their piece. But foreign nationals do work in American industries. Read this: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Reso ... ges/LawYouCanUse-569.aspx

Posted on: 2015/2/23 2:06
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/9/24 1:55
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 231
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when AIG, the site this business will take over, went bankrupt. News 12 was interviewing the employees. Some talked about returning to their country, AIG hired many foreign nationals. And we wonder why local citizens cannot find work. 90 Hudson St, received a tax abatement and that business did not hire American people as a rule.


Yvonne - name three foreign nationals who worked at AIG. Better yet, name three people who worked at AIG. I'd be surprised if you could name one.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 1:55
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/4/10 13:29
Last Login :
2019/12/6 20:15
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2634
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Newport is filled with foreign nationals, who has jobs that Americans cannot get, especially in the banking industry.


Yes, that is partly true, mostly because they have education and skill levels that Americans don't, like knowing the difference between "has" and "have."

Posted on: 2015/2/22 17:56
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 22:56
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1010
Offline
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Newport is filled with foreign nationals, who has jobs that Americans cannot get, especially in the banking industry.


Evidence, other than noting all the brown people in Newport living in high rises?

Who needs evidence when you have base speculation? ;)

Plenty of Americans are eligible for banking jobs, and there are limits on foreign workers. The vast majority of H1B visas are issued for high tech, and 13% of high tech jobs are H1B. For financial sector jobs, it's closer to 6%. The foreign workers are also highly educated; roughly half have more than a Bachelor's Degree. (https://www.aier.org/research/h1b-jobs-filling-skill-gap)

H1B jobs also have to be available to American citizens, must be offered at market wages, and make things complicated for employers and employee alike. Oh, and those visas are limited to 6 years tops.

I gotta say, I don't see how 6-13% means an industry is "filled with foreign nationals."

Posted on: 2015/2/22 16:09
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/6 22:56
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1010
Offline
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
The city gains little from their being here...

The city gains nothing from 3 empty waterfront office floors.

The tax credits are also not being issued by Jersey City, but by the NJDEA. It's a state agency, not a city one.

Keep in mind that staff change over time. Right off the bat, some people will find JC too inconvenient a commute. Chances are that eventually, they'll have a more NJ-based workforce.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 15:55
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/6/9 22:10
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 225
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
that business did not hire American people as a rule.


This is a lie.


Newport is filled with foreign nationals, who has jobs that Americans cannot get, especially in the banking industry.


Evidence, other than noting all the brown people in Newport living in high rises?

Posted on: 2015/2/21 12:36
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
that business did not hire American people as a rule.


This is a lie.


Newport is filled with foreign nationals, who has jobs that Americans cannot get, especially in the banking industry.


You're on a roll with the absurd inferences.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 5:15
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
that business did not hire American people as a rule.


This is a lie.


Newport is filled with foreign nationals, who has jobs that Americans cannot get, especially in the banking industry.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 4:25
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/14 13:36
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 415
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
that business did not hire American people as a rule.


This is a lie.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 4:17
 Top 


Re: $37.2 million tax break lures retailer to Jersey City waterfront
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Yvonne, this is a dead horse. AIG does business all over the world, and many of those "foreign workers" you're complaining about are hired because they have knowledge/language skills particular to their markets. You're picturing a big AIG job fair where JC residents could line up to fill out an application; that's not who they're hiring.


Then let those foreign countries give AIG those tax breaks. We give away the store at the expense of the hard working class whose family members served in our armed forces. Companies want to do business here, in the same way, people come here legally and illegally. It benefits them.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 22:51
 Top 




(1) 2 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017