Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »

Re: CDC confirms first Ebola case diagnosed in US
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps because NY treated their detainees more humanely and not put them in a unheated tent? I'm just guessing.

In any case, both Cuomo and Christie were roundly criticized for their initial harsh stance on quarantine and both have since softened.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Cuomo had three quarantined to Christie's one, who was released. Send some fauxrage to the Democrat Gov across the river.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Read the article. Plenty of scientists who understand the disease much better than you and I are making the claim that the CDC has been misleading us. Care to back up your rhetoric - other than claiming it hasn't happened and it's ok to gamble with people lives?

http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/21-days/381901/#

When you say plenty, you actually meant one right? I respect Hatfill's opinion and expertise but I don't see the overwhelming condemnation of the scientific community that you seem to imply. The CDC has made mistakes sure but we don't need a kangaroo court of preening politicians to save us from the CDC.

I think it's very clear now just how overblown this reaction is when you consider the facts at hand. 9 were infected, 1 fatality, 1 just recently ebola free. I can't speak for Australia but if we start imposing such draconian measures, we will still be talking about ebola 10-20 years from now and not just in Africa. If we had a travel ban, I doubt Mr. Hatfill would get any work done. The use of quarantine should be measured and the policy should be clear. I doubt you would have many health workers objecting to quarantine if it makes sense.

Also here's the thing, when you quarantine a person because you think he/she may have ebola, aren't you gambling on that person's life and liberty? I would bet Christie is secretly hoping that nurse has ebola.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Barack Obama Hugged an Ebola Victim. Ronald Reagan Refused to Even Say the Word AIDS.. but continue.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't team Obama say 'You never let a crisis to go waste'? Now I don't think this is what Cuomo and Christie are doing, but it's amusing on so many levels re:Obama's Ebola response.

Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
All those Dems be hatin on the Prez cuz he's black, don't forget that!

Most pols would sell their mother to gain votes. Obama's poll numbers are low so Democrats In Name Only will flee from him. Everyone acknowledges that.

There is no disputing that President Obama has been roundly disrespected because of his race. Questioning his citizenship, his religion, etc.

But please Monroe, continue to kiss the ass of your great god Christie.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Most pols would sell their mother to gain votes. Obama's poll numbers are low so Democrats In Name Only will flee from him. Everyone acknowledges that.

There is no disputing that President Obama has been roundly disrespected because of his race. Questioning his citizenship, his religion, etc.

But please Monroe, continue to kiss the ass of your great god Christie.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The fact that the opposition is bi-partisan shows it's not a political ploy.

Yes it's bi-partisan, a gaggle of craven pols attempting to exploit a phony crisis for votes.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Yes it's bi-partisan, a gaggle of craven pols attempting to exploit a phony crisis for votes.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

And we had a ban on HIV positive people for quite some time as I recall.

Go back and read my comment on Rand Paul. You don't hear shouting about the CDC from D's like you do R's. Mostly the D's just stick their head in the sand and don't talk about it. When they do pop up, they pander to the masses of cowards we have.

As for ban on HIV positive, we've a ban on Ebola positive as well...

I've actually stated that I'm not opposed to quarantining people that show symptoms. Those that aren't, however, is absurd.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:39
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

And we had a ban on HIV positive people for quite some time as I recall.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, the fact that opposition to Obama's Ebola response is bi-partisan. Period. Now we know, of course, that Obama is so toxic that his own party members in close races are treating him like he has Ebola . . . and watching some Democrats corkscrew themselves into the ground by avoiding admitting they voted for him in the last two elections is hilarious. In any case, when Democratic Governor's are putting in tighter controls than Obama's CDC that tells you it's above politics.

I am not going to argue about the politicians running away from Obama. The same was done to Bush and Clinton, before him. I think it's unfortunate, but it is politics.

As for those governors putting in tighter controls... It absolutely is politics. Its the politics of fear. Sadly, we've a nation of cowards that go running whenever something scary comes along. Instead of actually getting the facts and understanding the issue, our response is "I don't understand. Kill it!"

I'll ask again... did we quarantine for HIV? If not, why not?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, the fact that opposition to Obama's Ebola response is bi-partisan. Period. Now we know, of course, that Obama is so toxic that his own party members in close races are treating him like he has Ebola . . . and watching some Democrats corkscrew themselves into the ground by avoiding admitting they voted for him in the last two elections is hilarious. In any case, when Democratic Governor's are putting in tighter controls than Obama's CDC that tells you it's above politics.

I am not going to argue about the politicians running away from Obama. The same was done to Bush and Clinton, before him. I think it's unfortunate, but it is politics.

As for those governors putting in tighter controls... It absolutely is politics. Its the politics of fear. Sadly, we've a nation of cowards that go running whenever something scary comes along. Instead of actually getting the facts and understanding the issue, our response is "I don't understand. Kill it!"

I'll ask again... did we quarantine for HIV? If not, why not?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:32
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebs, you said it was all down to political affiliation. Given that we know that's incorrect anyway, you're putting the blame on Republicans solely. The 'racist' comment was directed at Rohrsach, who parroted the 'oppose Obama and it's because he's half black' meme.

1. Where am I putting any blame on Republicans for the Ebola problem?

2. Read my statement again: people are gunning for Obama due to his party affiliation. Yes, that means that Obama is being criticized predominantly due to his party affiliation and that is completely, 100% true. If you would like an example, look at Rand Paul. The guy isn?t even a certified doctor and yet he claims that Ebola is airborne. In 2011 he advocated cutting the CDC by about 1.2billion and now claims they aren?t doing enough (he also voted against the last CDC budget increase).

3. Cuomo didn?t criticize Obama, he chose to take a different, more dramatic, knee-jerk response than Obama. That is a subtle rebuttal, in a way, but it was rolled back when it was explained why.

3. While there were no message boards back in ?81, it is a well-established fact that Reagan completely flubbed the whole HIV issue. However, one thing he didn?t do was quarantine people despite the fear and paranoia that a lot of people were going through at the time. I mention this as not one Republican says to Obama, ?We should be doing what Reagan did with HIV!? It is completely forgotten.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Pebble, you are just wrong. What is going on is Obama putting politics above people's lives.

Not even remotely.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
As others have said, the CDC has repeatedly botched the response. And by telling the Dallas nurse that she could get on a plane with a fever, showed they are pretty incompetent. Further, the NY Ebola doc is 100% proof that the existing "screenings" are simply not enough.

I don?t see where the CDC ?has repeatedly botched the response?. I see mistakes here and there, but it seems as though there are other avenues that they are directing. I also find it rather easy to see that those mistakes were made by individuals, not exactly policy mandates by Obama.

The first Ebola patient in America wasn?t sent home from the hospital after telling the nurse he was in West Africa because Obama told her to. That avenue of thinking is rather absurd.

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
It's true that so far no Americans have been infected here outside of the healthcare context. Thank God. But why create the risk? If it does spread, we are in a position where many of us could be screwed, for no good reason.

Again, grow a spine. You really aren?t at risk. Unless you also think you?re at massive risk for HIV?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
If Obama wasn't busy trying to be politically correct, he'd follow Australia's example. I encourage you to read about their new travel bans and quarantine procedures, as they appear very effective in reducing the risk to the general population.

I?ve read it and think it is overboard. Travel bans only increase the likelihood of lying.

Which would you rather have: people entering the country, potentially sick, and lying about where they?ve been so that they aren?t tracked or knowing that someone came in from a potentially dangerous area and monitoring those people?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A shame that Australia's leaders have the courage to decisively act to contain threats, while we have to deal with incompetence and political correctness.

Pure bluster.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:16
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble, you are just wrong. What is going on is Obama putting politics above people's lives.

As others have said, the CDC has repeatedly botched the response. And by telling the Dallas nurse that she could get on a plane with a fever, showed they are pretty incompetent. Further, the NY Ebola doc is 100% proof that the existing "screenings" are simply not enough.

It's true that so far no Americans have been infected here outside of the healthcare context. Thank God. But why create the risk? If it does spread, we are in a position where many of us could be screwed, for no good reason.

If Obama wasn't busy trying to be politically correct, he'd follow Australia's example. I encourage you to read about their new travel bans and quarantine procedures, as they appear very effective in reducing the risk to the general population.

A shame that Australia's leaders have the courage to decisively act to contain threats, while we have to deal with incompetence and political correctness.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebs, you said it was all down to political affiliation. Given that we know that's incorrect anyway, you're putting the blame on Republicans solely. The 'racist' comment was directed at Rohrsach, who parroted the 'oppose Obama and it's because he's half black' meme.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Yeah, the Army Chief of Staff putting mandatory quarantines on soliders returning from the hot zone is SO RACIST. So are the Democratic Governor's who disagree with Obama and the CDC. That kind of crushes Pebs 'it's all Republican politics' thought.

Where did I call any of those people racist? Quote me or retract.

Where did I call it "all Republican politics"? Quote me or retract.

I pointed out that those lambasting the President?s response would have been doing that regardless simply due to party affiliation. I think there are many people out there that would have done the same in the opposite direction. I hardly consider that some out-of-nowhere thought.

The reality is that Obama actually is correct in this. I don?t think Cuomo and Christie are completely wrong in their response but their implementation not only screamed of paranoia and fear, but of a knee-jerk reactionary.

The army is a different animal. We also know that while Christie decided that running water and showers should not be available to the person quarantined, the army did the opposite:
Quote:
A dozen soldiers [snip] will be confined to a housing complex with barracks, a dining hall and a gym but no outside access...

That's the difference in paranoia and precaution.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 17:40
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, the Army Chief of Staff putting mandatory quarantines on soliders returning from the hot zone is SO RACIST. So are the Democratic Governor's who disagree with Obama and the CDC. That kind of crushes Pebs 'it's all Republican politics' thought.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Not for nothing, but the response to all of this seems rather expected. Those that don't like having a president with a D next to their name are coming out guns blazing in all directions and flipping out with hysteria.

Agreed Pebble. Not only is he a Democrat he is black as well. A double whammy for the teabaggers.

There has been only ONE ebola death in this country, and that person contracted the disease overseas. This is brand new territory for everyone concerned. Given that, I think this country's response has been more than adequate.

It goes without saying that the pigmentation plays a role as well. I just think it isn?t a factor here. I think it is entirely around the political affiliation.

Let?s look at this comment:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Obama is pressuring NJ and NY to remove the mandatory ebola quarantine orders. Is it time for him to be impeached? What does the "ebola czar" have to say about this?

White House Pressures States to Reverse Mandatory Ebola Quarantine Orders

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/nyregion/ebola-quarantine.html

As a point of note, Obama?s response, though less than perfect, is infinitely greater than that of Saint Ronny Rayguns when the issue of HIV arrived at his doorstep.

I also think there is very limited action that a president can directly do. He basically dictate?s policy. If his top medical officers are telling him the risks and the concerns, I?m sure he?s sending instructions down the line.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Sorry, but the usual 'tea bagger, racist right wingers' meme in this case seems to totally miss the Democrats who disagree with the POTUS.

Maybe you can note the 'D' in party affiliation after Govs Cuomo, Quinn of Illinois, O'Malley of Maryland. Are they racist because they disagree with Obama? How about the freaking Army Chief of Staff? You guys really crack me up sometimes with the knee jerk defense of the POTUS by calling people who oppose his policies racist.

What ?knee-jerk defense? is anyone giving Obama right now? Nobody is saying the guy has been perfect, but I don?t think anyone can really criticize the decisions that he?s making since they are actually grounded in sound logic.

What Cuomo and Christie did was more a knee-jerk response to fear and paranoia than they are a response to a legitimate threat. It is disappointing that you can?t see that.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 17:20
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, but the usual 'tea bagger, racist right wingers' meme in this case seems to totally miss the Democrats who disagree with the POTUS.

Maybe you can note the 'D' in party affiliation after Govs Cuomo, Quinn of Illinois, O'Malley of Maryland. Are they racist because they disagree with Obama? How about the freaking Army Chief of Staff? You guys really crack me up sometimes with the knee jerk defense of the POTUS by calling people who oppose his policies racist.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Not for nothing, but the response to all of this seems rather expected. Those that don't like having a president with a D next to their name are coming out guns blazing in all directions and flipping out with hysteria.

Agreed Pebble. Not only is he a Democrat he is black as well. A double whammy for the teabaggers.

There has been only ONE ebola death in this country, and that person contracted the disease overseas. This is brand new territory for everyone concerned. Given that, I think this country's response has been more than adequate.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
For some context, swine flu killed more than 12,000 Americans during 2009 and 2010. No travel bans, light to moderate panic.

YTD, Ebola has killed one American. Push for travel bans, moderate panic.

Despite all the hysterics, Ebola is surprisingly difficult to catch as a layperson who isn't actively attending to symptomatic Ebola patients.

People worried about picking it up from the bowling alley or the train, or calling for travel bans and quarantines need to take a step back and consider the actual threat Ebola poses to Americans - not the media hype.

Agreed

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And the Aussies weigh in on travelers from the Ebola killing fields.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style ... -africa-article-1.1989667

And Australia issued the travel ban on West African countries that we should have long ago. Too bad we have Democrats facing midterm elections petrified of not looking politically correct so they will put us all at risk.

Are you openly afraid to walk out of your house each day? It seems like every time you post, some Democrat somewhere has put your life in danger. I'd suggest growing a spine at some point.

Information and knowledge about where people were and what they are doing will save your life. Putting people in a situation where they will lie will only endanger each and every one of us.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:29
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users

The CDC hasn't been great in this. I don't think that's hard to say. However, it seems as though they are making adjustments and moving in the right direction.

To move in the direction of quarantining someone that could have this virus isn't such a terrible idea. However, setting them up in a tent that doesn't even have a shower is absurd. It becomes especially absurd when it is against that person's will. Last time I checked, we don't arrest people for getting sick.

Stopping flights in from these areas is also a bad idea. It will only encourage lying by the passengers which will reduce our knowledge and ability to track down someone, should an issue arise. We'd be far better off monitoring these people that fly back than not knowing where they were to begin with.

As for the virus, we do have the knowledge to overcome it. As with anything, information is key.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:25
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

And Australia issued the travel ban on West African countries that we should have long ago. Too bad we have Democrats facing midterm elections petrified of not looking politically correct so they will put us all at risk.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For some context, swine flu killed more than 12,000 Americans during 2009 and 2010. No travel bans, light to moderate panic.

YTD, Ebola has killed one American. Push for travel bans, moderate panic.

Despite all the hysterics, Ebola is surprisingly difficult to catch as a layperson who isn't actively attending to symptomatic Ebola patients.

People worried about picking it up from the bowling alley or the train, or calling for travel bans and quarantines need to take a step back and consider the actual threat Ebola poses to Americans - not the media hype.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:

You are making claims that frankly makes you sound 'unscientific' or rational for that matter. Care to back up your claims that the CDC deliberately misled anyone?

Read the article. Plenty of scientists who understand the disease much better than you and I are making the claim that the CDC has been misleading us. Care to back up your rhetoric - other than claiming it hasn't happened and it's ok to gamble with people lives?

Quote:

?I want to be pleasant through this whole thing,? California Representative Darrell Issa said on Friday, unpleasantly, to a panel of medical experts at a congressional oversight-committee hearing. ?But,? he continued, scolding from his perch, ?we have the head of CDC?supposed to be the expert?and he?s made statements that simply aren?t true.?
?Okay. So. When the head of the CDC says you can?t get it from somebody on the bus next to you, that?s just not true,? Issa concluded. ?When the head of the CDC says we know what we?re doing, but, in fact, healthcare professionals wearing what they thought was appropriate protective material get [Ebola], that means he?s wrong. When the head of the CDC goes on television and says sometimes less protection is better, and then has to reverse the protocol so that we no longer have nurses who have their necks exposed, that was just wrong, wasn?t it??

?Those nurses were not protected,? Deborah Burger, a co-president of National Nurses United, responded.
?The initial response to the outbreak of Ebola in the United States has been badly designed, and poorly and incompetently implemented. In their effort to minimize public concern or even panic, the leading health authorities of the United States have made far over-reaching statements and assumptions that are not fully supported by the existing scientific literature.?
But healthcare workers will contract this virus who needn?t, as more than a hundred in West Africa and two in the U.S. have. The world has to learn from this Ebola outbreak, because it will happen again on a bigger scale, and possibly with a more deadly virus, for which the United States is not properly prepared.
Hatfill: You know, I went for a Department of Defense interview years ago. They wanted a scientist down at the Pentagon that could invent stuff that would support presidential policy. ... They just wanted a spokesperson that could kind of come up with a plausible explanation to explain a higher-up directive. And I think this is the same thing.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/28 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
[quote]
dtjcview wrote:

Let's face it. This is the first time ebola has become a big deal because it got out of Africa and now some people in the US have lost all rational thought, I'm not the least bit surprised that some people in Congress has joined the fear bus. The last person you can expect to be sane about this issue is a politician.

Probably because politicians want to be able to show that they "saved" the day to future voters.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Debatable. Looks like the Supreme Court has upheld state's rights when it comes to quarantining people.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/opinion ... tine/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

That is true but I think such rulings are up for a much needed challenge. Jailing tuberculosis patients? Really?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

It's unscientific to mislead the public. It's unscientific to claim you know how a disease spreads when in fact you don't. It's unscientific to base judgments on statistics without also publishing the degree of confidence in those stats.

Trial and error can be part of a scientific process. The CDC has been making a lot of errors. If anything the science has shown they have got it wrong given the number of infected doctors and nurses.

As for shenanigans, the matter has already been raised to Congress:

You are making claims that frankly makes you sound 'unscientific' or rational for that matter. Care to back up your claims that the CDC deliberately misled anyone? Part of the scientific process is making mistakes, learning from them and correcting them. All of which the CDC has done. Do you have scientific proof that ebola is anything more than what they say it is? Besides the two nurses, have there been any other infections that did not originate from contact in Africa? I am not exonerating the CDC, but to continue on this premise after guidelines have been revised is rather 'unscientific.'

Let's face it. This is the first time ebola has become a big deal because it got out of Africa and now some people in the US have lost all rational thought, I'm not the least bit surprised that some people in Congress has joined the fear bus. The last person you can expect to be sane about this issue is a politician.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 14:48

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017