Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Also, small note about human nature. If someone isn't allowed to fully participate in a conversation and feels like they're being lectured to they just leave.

That cuts both ways - when a proposed solution seems to involve replacing leaders that aren't lecturing the community on family planning and personal responsibility in the "right" way.

No doubt. But how do we avoid discussing family planning and personal responsibility when these two things are probably the most undeniable and significant ingredients that are missing in this situation?

SO...how does that square with your proposal to "kick out the PC police"? Who are they? Aren't they just people that disagree with a point of view?

I'm fine with people disagreeing with my view. I'm not fine with people gathering to encourage that they fire reporters that raise a well known issue because "omg, so RACIST, that is NOT okay!"

Who are they? Jerks that claim they are "activists" against "racism" but really end up stopping any discussion that isn't on an anonymous forum or at the ballot box.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:59

Re: News 12 New Jersey reporter defends controversial comments on 'young black men' -- but quits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Also, small note about human nature. If someone isn't allowed to fully participate in a conversation and feels like they're being lectured to they just leave.

That cuts both ways - when a proposed solution seems to involve replacing leaders that aren't lecturing the community on family planning and personal responsibility in the "right" way.

No doubt. But how do we avoid discussing family planning and personal responsibility when these two things are probably the most undeniable and significant ingredients that are missing in this situation?

SO...how does that square with your proposal to "kick out the PC police"? Who are they? Aren't they just people that disagree with a point of view?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Yes I'm interested in a reasoned debate.

@Devilsadvocate - while we're kicking out the PC police, can we also kick out the over-simplistic scripts on causes and solution?

No, absolutely not. I'm not kidding, either. Every discussion on almost ANY topic has a ton of comments that are "over-simplistic scripts on causes and solution." If you come down hard on people making silly points here, then no one will risk continuing the conversation. And you'll get what we have now instead. You have the PC police on one side, and the other side that funds and votes for actual police to simply arrest as many people as possible, PARTICULARLY if they're from the "threatening" group.

Also, small note about human nature. If someone isn't allowed to fully participate in a conversation and feels like they're being lectured to they just leave. With regards to discussions about race, I feel like "majority" groups that are not liberal just instantly shut off and run away. Too much risk and not enough benefit to participating in any meaningful way.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I foolishly thought you were being honest when you claimed you were genuinely interested in what others have to say. Your mind is quite closed, and all you wanted to do was spout the same tired talking points. Everything you say stems from the notion that these people have no control over their actions, and are simply byproducts of harmful factors that surround them. Bullshit. You have to play the cards you are dealt in life, and while it is undeniable that some start at a (sometime extreme) disadvantage, you offer no hope at all, just excuses.

You apparently completely fail to grasp the distinction between culture, which is a series of learned, voluntary behaviors, and nature, which is inherent.

Your defense of what "they" say on education is indefensible. Maybe one reason the US ed system sucks for a particular group is that this group has no interest in furthering their own education? That's what Obama was talking about with the "acting white" bit, but your closed mind did not acknowledge his point.

And the sad thing is how you treat personal responsibility as a "narrative," instead of a concrete concept that literally applies to everyone in this country.

Finally, I note that you failed to offer a single concrete solution in this thread. Unless you want to count your welfare scheme which subsequently was proven not to work. So have fun trotting out your schtick of half-baked analysis and excuses and continue to watch as literally nothing improves.

The comedy continues.

Think I get nature versus nurture very well. And when you draw conclusions about responsibility simply based off a statistic, you're simply dumbing down the conversation to a point that suits a conservative and religious agenda. And yes, Obama did that too to win support for his election - so I'm not ignoring the point.

How was I proven wrong on welfare? Pebble simply posted a link to Family Caps, taken in isolation seems to have failed, but few would dispute the overall system needs a complete overhaul and simplification.

Concrete solutions? How about first defining the problem? Have of read of this - it's a great start. Moynihan 2.0 isn't simply beating up the black community on personal responsibilty and the nuclear family.

The last paragraph expresses it well:
http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/4128 ... ihan-Report-Revisited.pdf

Quote:

Debates about the status and progress of black families in the United States started before the Moynihan report and have clearly raged since. The report focused on how black family structure contributed to a host of factors that all impeded progress toward social equity. In the decades since its release, many of the social trends that concerned Moynihan have worsened for blacks and nonblacks alike. Today it is clear that no one factor by itself holds the key to economic and social progress. Policymakers, community leaders, and individuals themselves must act to enhance economic opportunities and social equity for black men and families. Otherwise, we may spend the next 50 years lamenting our continued lack of progress.

Yes I'm interested in a reasoned debate.

@Devilsadvocate - while we're kicking out the PC police, can we also kick out the over-simplistic scripts on causes and solution?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not going to reply to the merits of his points other than to state that they are reasonable theories, whether they are correct or not. Instead, I will note that the real problem is that this has brought in the political correctness police that are running in to ensure that no meaningful public conversation take place on what is an extremely serious social issue. Given recent events, I think we MUST address the giant elephant in the room without destroying the lives and livelihoods of those that point out said elephant.

The key points are not in dispute. Young black males have a real problem with police and authority. Now, teenagers of all races have this to at least some extent, but for some reason one subset goes significantly beyond the norm. The "why" here is exceptionally important. Currently, our only solution is to ignore the causation and to throw people in prison forever after the fact. Feel free to look around jails and prisons and see who the primary residents are. I don't think that this is good for anyone. Not the victims of crime, not the taxpayers, and especially not for the black community. So I think the first step is kicking out the PC police so we can have a normal conversation (and I don't mean on an anonymous message board) without shrill "activists" trying to exact revenge.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I foolishly thought you were being honest when you claimed you were genuinely interested in what others have to say. Your mind is quite closed, and all you wanted to do was spout the same tired talking points. Everything you say stems from the notion that these people have no control over their actions, and are simply byproducts of harmful factors that surround them. Bullshit. You have to play the cards you are dealt in life, and while it is undeniable that some start at a (sometime extreme) disadvantage, you offer no hope at all, just excuses.

You apparently completely fail to grasp the distinction between culture, which is a series of learned, voluntary behaviors, and nature, which is inherent.

Your defense of what "they" say on education is indefensible. Maybe one reason the US ed system sucks for a particular group is that this group has no interest in furthering their own education? That's what Obama was talking about with the "acting white" bit, but your closed mind did not acknowledge his point.

And the sad thing is how you treat personal responsibility as a "narrative," instead of a concrete concept that literally applies to everyone in this country.

Finally, I note that you failed to offer a single concrete solution in this thread. Unless you want to count your welfare scheme which subsequently was proven not to work. So have fun trotting out your schtick of half-baked analysis and excuses and continue to watch as literally nothing improves.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Please point to one post in this thread which implied "it's simply nature that can't be 'fixed.'" No need to lie or create scarecrows to support your position. And are you seriously suggesting it isn't worthwhile to try and fix an easily identifiable and destructive correlation?

Throwing around a correlation, pretending it's a root cause, and not proposing solutions, has thrown open the question of nature vs nurture. That's not creating a scarecrow - that's a distasteful racial undertone to the assertion that's blatantly obvious to everyone except those making the assertion, apparently. And you don't fix correlations, if one doesn't cause the other.

Quote:

It's ironic that you previously assailed others for lack of "independent thought" and parroting a "party line," yet you don't see any hypocrisy in trotting out the Democratic "party line" on this issue.

I actually don't know what the Dem party line is - perhaps enlighten me? All I listed were a number of possible correlations with crime, all of which have been tackled by both parties at some stage or another - war on poverty, war on drugs, war on gangs, zero-tolerance/broken windows...

Quote:

Predictably, you listed everything but the kitchen sink yet failed to mention even a whiff of personal responsibility. Or a destructive culture.

You cannot be intellectually honest in approaching this issue and fail to mention an entrenched culture that glorifies violence and promiscuity, and abhors education. You just can't.

That's your narrative. It's not the only one. The US said similar things about the Beatles, Elvis and the Rolling Stones 50 or so years ago.

Quote:

You do touch on the biggest factor - single parent families - yet you ask the incorrect question. You say "what causes those family break-ups?" When the reality is there was never a "family" to be broken up to begin with. The verified statistic is 72% of African American children are born out of wedlock. That means a guy who knocks up a woman and splits, because he doesn't want the responsibility of fatherhood. What causes that? Lack of personal responsibility coupled with a culture that condones and encourages this behavior.

Have you ever lived in poverty? In a ghetto? It's a constant day-to-day struggle to make ends meet. As a kid you get you gang membership card punched early, which make getting a regular job nearly tough to impossible in later life. Many fathers end up in jail - given longer sentences than most. Moms don't marry nor declare the father, simply to keep incomes separate from welfare, and not burden the dad with alimony and child support from their limited resources. As far as personal responsibility goes, you can't simply judge that from the single parent family statistics. I know plenty of dads in BL and Greenville that love their kids as much as anyone. Heck if those hoods are outside your comfort zone, just watch the number of dads picking up and dropping off their kids during summer school at McNair.

Personal responsibility is a simple narrative, suits a conservative agenda, and I think there are better explanations out there.

Quote:

Also note that this influences some of your other factors, such as level of gangs. It is also documented that those who grow up in single-parent households (where the single parent is busy working, leaving an empty house) are more likely to join gangs.

Again, correlation is not causation. Poverty, joblessness, bad policing are also correlated to gang activity. Affordable childcare could equally address the empty house question.

Quote:

And "standard of education" makes no difference when the dominant black culture is for blacks to shun other blacks who try to further their education as "acting white." Don't take my word for it, why not listen to Obama himself?

The US ed system as a whole kinda sucks. Perhaps they have a point. Again look at it from the perspective of someone born into poverty. Most can't afford a college education. They want to make a living as soon as possible after high school - and if the school system isn't helping them get a trade, it's a waste of time.

Quote:

So I will repeat that role models and leadership is a tangible, easily identifiable factor that I think is essential to fixing a destructive culture.

So we trade in Al and Jesse for a Mother Theresa and a Donald Trump, tell south JC to turn off their rap, hand in the drugs money and weapons, get married and use a condom? Comic genius at it's finest.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 6:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A culture change simply needs to happen as a prerequisite for meaningful lasting improvement. Exactly how to accomplish this is extraordinary complex and difficult.

One thing that would go a long way is strong, true leadership in the African American community. I strongly believe that they simply do not have enough upstanding role models to look up to. People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are complete frauds, simply looking for opportunities to line their pockets rather than benefit their community.

Case in point, I don't think either (or any other of their ilk) have uttered one word in condemnation of the recent cop-killing or the subsequent "shrine" worshipping him. The only time you see these folks come out is when a cop (usually wrongfully) assaults a member of the African American community. In this way, they constantly generate negative emotions in their followers, such as victimization and anger, instead of positive ones such as education or self-improvement.

True leaders and role models can advocate for common-sense practices that will lead to betterment of the overall community, such as the stressing the importance of using education to get ahead, or the value in not having kids at too young an age and promoting condom use.

So I think one priority should be focused on identifying and promoting more positive role models, who in turn can spread productive messages. And changing the status quo and minimizing the influence of the current "leaders."

Role model and leadership is certainly an area that could be explored.

The problem I have with the News 12 reporters comments, and with some of the other posts on the thread, is focusing on one correlation, and implying if we fix that, we fix the problem. Or worse and implying that it's simply nature that can't be "fixed".

There are a lot of correlations between crime:
- level of poverty
- level of drug sales and use
- standard of education
- availability of jobs
- strength of community policing and overall community support
- "broken windows"
- access to quality healthcare, child and mental health services, rehab
- quality of housing
- level of gangs
- sentencing terms, and prison population

The problem doesn't have one simple root cause, nor one simple easy solution. To me pointing out the single parent percentages, is like pointing out the correlation between ice cream sales and murder rates - except that I might speculative that I can reduce crime rates more by handing out free AC units and electric, than handing out condoms.

The issue is more complex than that. Granted, single parent families is likely a contributing factor, but probably one of many factors, and we should also be asking what causes those family break-ups.

Please point to one post in this thread which implied "it's simply nature that can't be 'fixed.'" No need to lie or create scarecrows to support your position. And are you seriously suggesting it isn't worthwhile to try and fix an easily identifiable and destructive correlation?

It's ironic that you previously assailed others for lack of "independent thought" and parroting a "party line," yet you don't see any hypocrisy in trotting out the Democratic "party line" on this issue. Predictably, you listed everything but the kitchen sink yet failed to mention even a whiff of personal responsibility. Or a destructive culture.

You cannot be intellectually honest in approaching this issue and fail to mention an entrenched culture that glorifies violence and promiscuity, and abhors education. You just can't.

You do touch on the biggest factor - single parent families - yet you ask the incorrect question. You say "what causes those family break-ups?" When the reality is there was never a "family" to be broken up to begin with. The verified statistic is 72% of African American children are born out of wedlock. That means a guy who knocks up a woman and splits, because he doesn't want the responsibility of fatherhood. What causes that? Lack of personal responsibility coupled with a culture that condones and encourages this behavior.

This statistic is so shocking at face value that others have engaged at-length to debunk it. But fail, because it is true.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-met ... 2-percent-african-americ/

Also note that this influences some of your other factors, such as level of gangs. It is also documented that those who grow up in single-parent households (where the single parent is busy working, leaving an empty house) are more likely to join gangs.

And "standard of education" makes no difference when the dominant black culture is for blacks to shun other blacks who try to further their education as "acting white." Don't take my word for it, why not listen to Obama himself?

"Children can?t achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white."
- President Obama, 2004 Democratic National Convention Keynote Address.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acting_white#Barack_Obama

But as I and others have pointed out, Obama's previous quotations indicate he understands the problem perfectly, yet he has failed to leverage his position to help out the African American community and back up his words. Unlike most, he has permission to speak freely in public, without being accused of being racist.

So I will repeat that role models and leadership is a tangible, easily identifiable factor that I think is essential to fixing a destructive culture.

Finally, I'm sure you noticed that Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the like failed to utter one word in condemnation of the Jersey City cop-killer, nor the subsequent "shrine" certain people built to commemorate him. But like I predicted, Al Sharpton showed up in a New York minute to stoke the flames of victimization, anger, and resentment for an incident where the cops wrongfully killed a Staten Island man. What a leader, truly helping his community out in the long run!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/n ... eld-gun-article-1.1873033

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/21 4:56

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/7/21 5:14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just another reporter / journalist that suffers from 'foot in mouth' disease.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 2:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Just so I am clear who are white, Asians and Latinos role models?

Posted on: 2014/7/21 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A culture change simply needs to happen as a prerequisite for meaningful lasting improvement. Exactly how to accomplish this is extraordinary complex and difficult.

One thing that would go a long way is strong, true leadership in the African American community. I strongly believe that they simply do not have enough upstanding role models to look up to. People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are complete frauds, simply looking for opportunities to line their pockets rather than benefit their community.

Case in point, I don't think either (or any other of their ilk) have uttered one word in condemnation of the recent cop-killing or the subsequent "shrine" worshipping him. The only time you see these folks come out is when a cop (usually wrongfully) assaults a member of the African American community. In this way, they constantly generate negative emotions in their followers, such as victimization and anger, instead of positive ones such as education or self-improvement.

True leaders and role models can advocate for common-sense practices that will lead to betterment of the overall community, such as the stressing the importance of using education to get ahead, or the value in not having kids at too young an age and promoting condom use.

So I think one priority should be focused on identifying and promoting more positive role models, who in turn can spread productive messages. And changing the status quo and minimizing the influence of the current "leaders."

Role model and leadership is certainly an area that could be explored.

The problem I have with the News 12 reporters comments, and with some of the other posts on the thread, is focusing on one correlation, and implying if we fix that, we fix the problem. Or worse and implying that it's simply nature that can't be "fixed".

There are a lot of correlations between crime:
- level of poverty
- level of drug sales and use
- standard of education
- availability of jobs
- strength of community policing and overall community support
- "broken windows"
- access to quality healthcare, child and mental health services, rehab
- quality of housing
- level of gangs
- sentencing terms, and prison population

The problem doesn't have one simple root cause, nor one simple easy solution. To me pointing out the single parent percentages, is like pointing out the correlation between ice cream sales and murder rates - except that I might speculative that I can reduce crime rates more by handing out free AC units and electric, than handing out condoms.

The issue is more complex than that. Granted, single parent families is likely a contributing factor, but probably one of many factors, and we should also be asking what causes those family break-ups.

Posted on: 2014/7/21 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Read post 6 in this thread.

Ok. And what's your take on that? What your definition of "root cause" and solution?

Mostly, that the kids are brought up in poverty because of absentee fathers who make bad decisions to become sperm donors to children that they don't want to parent. The cop killer's wife said he'd be home maybe 2 nights a week. Tough to be a gang banger and a good dad I suppose.

Add the kind of new 'morality' that seems to celebrate this type of behavior-Shawn Kemp, and Antonio Cromartie who has 4 kids with his wife, and 8 others with SEVEN different other women. Or Travis Henry, former Buffalo Bill, with 11 kids by 10 women. And all those sports stars end up broke and don't support all those kids.

These anecdotes mean nothing.

If and when you are capable of independent creative thought, start understanding cause and effort, and stop simply cutting, pasting and parroting Republican party line, people on this forum might give you some credibility.

That's hilarious, considering I cut and pasted President Obama's thoughts that parallel mine!

Posted on: 2014/7/20 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Ok. And what's your take on that? What your definition of "root cause" and solution?

Mostly, that the kids are brought up in poverty because of absentee fathers who make bad decisions to become sperm donors to children that they don't want to parent. The cop killer's wife said he'd be home maybe 2 nights a week. Tough to be a gang banger and a good dad I suppose.

Add the kind of new 'morality' that seems to celebrate this type of behavior-Shawn Kemp, and Antonio Cromartie who has 4 kids with his wife, and 8 others with SEVEN different other women. Or Travis Henry, former Buffalo Bill, with 11 kids by 10 women. And all those sports stars end up broke and don't support all those kids.

If and when you are capable of independent creative thought, start understanding cause and effort, and stop simply cutting, pasting and parroting Republican party line, people on this forum might give you some credibility.

Monroe quoted Obama, not a Republican. Since you can't address the merits, you slam the "Republican party line," because attacking the perceived messenger is far easier than addressing the message.

But let me guess, if you ever decided to address the merits, it would involve casting a wide net of blame but curiously would omit any whiff of personal responsibility.

What merits? Let's hear your thoughts on the subject - genuinely interested if you can add anything to the debate that's not simply a cut and paste. What are you and Monroe actually proposing? More condoms and lectures? What?

Posted on: 2014/7/20 5:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Monroe quoted Obama, not a Republican. Since you can't address the merits, you slam the "Republican party line," because attacking the perceived messenger is far easier than addressing the message.

But let me guess, if you ever decided to address the merits, it would involve casting a wide net of blame but curiously would omit any whiff of personal responsibility.

What merits? Let's hear your thoughts on the subject - genuinely interested if you can add anything to the debate that's not simply a cut and paste. What are you and Monroe actually proposing? More condoms and lectures? What?

Posted on: 2014/7/20 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/20 4:08

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/7/20 4:23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/20 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/20 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Ok. And what's your take on that? What's your definition of "root cause" and solution? Takes a brain for that. And I doubt you have one other than stirring shit. Go ahead. Prove me wrong.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The way to break the cycle of poverty is not to father kids you can't help support/raise.

And when has simply telling people what to do or not do ever worked? The real argument is what to do with welfare - whether to cut it, or shift incentives and pay more. And I think the answer is the latter.

Your conversation about welfare is already in place. It's called the Family Cap. New Jersey was actually the first to implement this policy and has been around for over two decades(Link).

Thanks for the links Pebble. I wasn't aware that these sorts of ideas had been kicked around for quite as long as they have been.

My basic problem with the kinds of numbers folks like Monroe throw out is that there is a big difference between between correlation and causation. And a lot of the research is funded by folks with an agenda, making it difficult to separate fact from fiction. Generally I think it's better to focus on outcomes, and managing those, than speculating and attacking those speculative causes. If we want to tackle causes, we need to leave our bias, prejudices, personal opinions and beliefs aside. And that can be tough for most.

Love the quote in the links btw: "If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion" (George Bernard Shaw).

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kjh2110/the-10-most-bizarre-correlations

http://science.howstuffworks.com/inno ... at-are-not-causations.htm

You mean the type of information that President Obama and I quote, right? Are you accusing him of 'bias, prejudice, personal opinion, and beliefs' as well? It wasn't 'tough' for Obama to use the same statistics I shared. What 'agenda' is he supporting?

Before I answer that, explain how you think Obama and you are on the same page.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
Insightful and why conservatives are so myopic in trying to validate their prejudices and confirmation bias http://gawker.com/fox-news-wants-raci ... be-more-racist-1607266682

Exactly. Bergin (and O'Reilly et all) can't seem to distinguish fact from their own opinion and bias. And I'd say I kinda like O'Reilly for his shooting from the hip - but I think he's a fool for not recognizing that he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Their personal arrogance is their biggest flaw, as with a lot of Fox contributors, Murdoch and down.

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The way to break the cycle of poverty is not to father kids you can't help support/raise.

And when has simply telling people what to do or not do ever worked? The real argument is what to do with welfare - whether to cut it, or shift incentives and pay more. And I think the answer is the latter.

Your conversation about welfare is already in place. It's called the Family Cap. New Jersey was actually the first to implement this policy and has been around for over two decades(Link).

Thanks for the links Pebble. I wasn't aware that these sorts of ideas had been kicked around for quite as long as they have been.

My basic problem with the kinds of numbers folks like Monroe throw out is that there is a big difference between between correlation and causation. And a lot of the research is funded by folks with an agenda, making it difficult to separate fact from fiction. Generally I think it's better to focus on outcomes, and managing those, than speculating and attacking those speculative causes. If we want to tackle causes, we need to leave our bias, prejudices, personal opinions and beliefs aside. And that can be tough for most.

Love the quote in the links btw: "If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion" (George Bernard Shaw).

You mean the type of information that President Obama and I quote, right? Are you accusing him of 'bias, prejudice, personal opinion, and beliefs' as well? It wasn't 'tough' for Obama to use the same statistics I shared. What 'agenda' is he supporting?

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Insightful and why conservatives are so myopic in trying to validate their prejudices and confirmation bias http://gawker.com/fox-news-wants-raci ... be-more-racist-1607266682

Posted on: 2014/7/20 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/20 0:58

Edited by dtjcview on 2014/7/20 1:20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/19 17:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/7/19 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
When President Obama agrees in substance with the news reporter . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06 ... -day-speech_n_107220.html

You and I know how true this is in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled - doubled - since we were children. We know the statistics - that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.

Obama has been a huge failure for the black community. He had a chance to get some great messages across to them, because they respect him and will listen to him. Such as stop having kids at such a young age out of wedlock because you are dooming them.

Instead he decides to make his infamous inflammatory "if I had a son, he'd look like Treyvon Martin" comment. Wasted opportunities.

Absolute number-wise, bet there are more white kids in single parent families than black, but it's the added toxic mix of poverty, joblessness, incarcerated parents that make it a bigger issue for the black community.

Talk and condoms are both cheap. How about shifting some of those tax breaks given to married couples into welfare incentives to have kids only in a stable family environment? Existing welfare is designed as a bare minimum to ensure kids don't starve - and perversely can act as an incentive to have kids. A little extra spend could shift that balance.

Of course there are more white kids born out of wedlock, given that non-Hispanic whites make up 63% of the population and blacks 12.5%. Much more telling is that black children are born out of wedlock over 72%, with non-Hispanic white children born out of wedlock 29%-less than half.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
from what i have seen, there are too many people STILL taking advantage of loopholes in the welfare program. there should be a requirement that kids go to school and meet certain requirements in order for families to get full benefits

Posted on: 2014/7/18 23:50

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017