Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City creates list of city's worst abandoned properties
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
PBW: I tried buying this property last year to completely renovate and live in but I lost out. I noticed they have ripped down the garage and the ugly yellow awnings, but not sure what the status is now. I have seen a couple out pruning back the bushes on the erie st side a couple times. It could just be that they're being held up on their renovation plans by the city, you never know here. at the least I believe the property is individual owner hands and being renovated, slowly as it may be.

Interesting side note. I researched the property and it used to be a funeral home. the whole corner of the building used to be a glass commercial front. I had wanted to reinstate the property to its original exterior look, signage and all, while updating the interior.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
About 5 years ago my brother me a developer at a business function, both live out of state. Somehow JC came up and he said he tired to build something here had never worked in a more corrupt atmosphere. Every city worker to the cops were lining up for handouts. Drop 3 grand to a bar here, 2 grand there, etc etc. He said he finally couldn't deal with it and put up barb wire in the middle of the night and abandoned the site. That's all i know (don't know name or location). and yes even on my part it is hearsay (thru my Bro, whom I trust), but given the recent scandals maybe Healy should ask WHY there are so many abandoned properties rather than point them out. I think i finally understand the saying Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
What name are the LLC's in that get the tickets and who is the ticket addressed to ? Are you an absentee landlord if so then the super of the building should have written instructions on how do deal with garbage and recycling. Your tenants are not responsible, you are, unless you properly instructed them to do so.

The ticket is addressed to my LLC. As the managing officer of the company, I can be held liable for non-civil judgements. Trash out at the wrong time is actually a criminal complaint (albeit a misdemeanor one).

I am not an absentee landlord. Tenants (with the exception of a 2-family I own) are instructed to put trash in the basement. I take care of putting it out so it doesn't get put out at the wrong time. My problem was having an elderly guest (tenant's mother) of a tenant with a limited mental capacity. She just kept putting trash out at random times. I kept catching it except the time I decided to sleep in a bit on a Sunday. Incinerator authority then saw it before I could grab the garbage bag off the curb.

First time it happened, I plead guilty with an explanation and the judge waived court costs, reducing the fine. The second time she did it to me, the prosecutor took pity on me and dropped the charges.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
It's funny how most of these properties are owned by cooporate names that end in LLC INC. Which means they don't get violation tickets.

My properties end with LLC and I can assure you.. LLC's get tickets. In my case, because tenants who decide to put out recycling on a regular trash day, at 7 in the morning...
What name are the LLC's in that get the tickets and who is the ticket addressed to ? Are you an absentee landlord if so then the super of the building should have written instructions on how do deal with garbage and recycling. Your tenants are not responsible, you are, unless you properly instructed them to do so.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I guess someone with good city hall connection looks at good ROI once 208 Columbus Dr is repossessed....

Posted on: 2011/11/18 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
It's funny how most of these properties are owned by cooporate names that end in LLC INC. Which means they don't get violation tickets.

My properties end with LLC and I can assure you.. LLC's get tickets. In my case, because tenants who decide to put out recycling on a regular trash day, at 7 in the morning...

On another note... back during the later 90's, JC had a similar problem. The mayor and council passed a law that exempted the abandoned properties from rent control, if someone would re-develop the vacant properties. In most cases, this required buying substantial liens and foreclosing.

I was buying at the time and got a list. I didn't stand a chance to get any of those properties. The ones around JSQ where snapped up by developers once the law passed. With rent control removed, you could make a decent return on investment ** on 5+ family property without having to rent to section 8 tenants.

** not so sure on the ROI after taxes have gone up 85% plus another 45% in sewer fees.

Posted on: 2011/11/18 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Cityhall administration associated with this must be on drugs, need to be on drugs or aren't getting enough drugs.

With cityhall throwing tax credits and abatements to businesses and developers, they haven't stopped to understand that individuals simply can't generate the funds to bring their properties upto standard during this world money crisis.

Why doesn't cityhall offer the same benefits to these property owners so they can save some funds or generate a load through the banks to make good their properties.

Cityhall have forgotten to understand this financial crisis affects many people on many levels.

I bet if these property owners were to forfeit their properties, cityhall would make financial concessions for the developers who might take over.... watch this space !

Cityhall have forgotten to ask these property owners one simply question WHY !

Posted on: 2011/11/17 21:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/6 17:58
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone please explain why the house at the SW corner of 2nd and Erie is not on this list?

Posted on: 2011/11/17 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's funny how most of these properties are owned by cooporate names that end in LLC INC. Which means they don't get violation tickets. Then rubber stamp their "name" on everything from the electric bill to the tax bill, invisable to all.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 19:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_cracks_down_on_own.html

158 Arlington Ave.

167 Armstrong Ave.

53 Atlantic St.

334 Baldwin Ave.

241 Bayview Ave.

142 Boyd Ave.

18 Brinkerhoff St.

45 Brinkerhoff St.

182 Claremont Ave.

219 Clendenny Ave.

67 Clerk Ave.

163 Clerk St.

165 Clerk St.

208 Columbus Dr.

35 Dwight St.

86 Essex St.

329 Forrest St.

363 Forrest St.

14 Fox Pl.

148-150 Fulton Ave.

22 Jewett Ave.

35 Lexington Ave.

18 McDougal St.

227 Montgomery St.

119-121 Monticello Ave.

7 Myrtle Ave.

9 Myrtle Ave.

37.5 Oak St.

474 Ocean Ave.

480 Ocean Ave.

81 Orient Ave.

81A Orient Ave.

404 Palisade Ave.

671 Palisade Ave.

180 Pearsall Ave.

331.5 Seventh St.

240.5 Sixth St.

9 Wallis Ave.

332 Whiton St.

16 Woodlawn Ave.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
so.... where's the list?

Posted on: 2011/11/15 12:34

Jersey City creates list of city's worst abandoned properties
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City creates list of city's worst abandoned properties, publishes owners' names in The Jersey Journal

Monday, November 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is getting tough with owners of 40 of the city?s worst abandoned properties.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy today announced the city is putting pressure on the property owners by adding their names to a city list of abandoned properties, and by publishing their names in The Jersey Journal. The list ran on Friday.

?We want these property owners to know that we are serious about holding them accountable,? Healy said. ?And if they continue to allow their properties to be an eyesore for the community, we will utilize the means available to us to acquire and remediate those properties.?

The city hopes by publishing the names, the property owners will either clean up the properties or sell them, according to a city official.

The city was spurred to action by the New Jersey Abandoned Properties Rehabilitation Act, which provides towns and cities with tools to address the problem of abandoned properties in their communities.

?The properties being listed are the most egregious in the City and are the site of numerous complaints and often criminal activity and we will not tolerate this type of neglect in our city,? Healy said.

Posted on: 2011/11/15 7:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017