Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Inbound Holland Tunnel closed by shooting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, this is sorely needed.
There should be 4-way stops all along 10th St, as it is the border between residential Hamilton Park and the tunnel traffic.

The interesections on 10th go between one-way and two-way traffic and it is confusing and dangerous- 4-way stops would help greatly.

The 4-way stop at Erie and 10th has helped make the crossing safer for residents and drivers. ( Thank you Steve Fulop!)

I often nearly get clipped by cars rushing off the tunnel traffic on Jersey and 10th.

Quote:

mfadam wrote:
has anyone ever lobbied the city to make 10th and Coles as well as 10th and Jersey 4 way stops? They are both extremely dangerous...

Posted on: 2011/5/2 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't find 10th and Jersey to be all that dangerous. Jersey is closed northbound at 10th.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 19:37
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
has anyone ever lobbied the city to make 10th and Coles as well as 10th and Jersey 4 way stops? They are both extremely dangerous...

Posted on: 2011/5/2 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
just imagine how many thugs would be off the streets if the JC Police actually enforced traffic laws...

Not to speak of unlicensed and uninsured drivers putting us and our kids at risk. Saw a fresh T-boning at 10th & Coles today. It never ends.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
just imagine how many thugs would be off the streets if the JC Police actually enforced traffic laws...

Posted on: 2011/5/2 2:23

Re: Suspects arrested trying to run over cops in Holland Tunnel were carrying heroin, fleeing robbery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Another fine example of why traffic-stops work. Criminals have an uncanny knack for attracting attention to themselves.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 21:49

Re: Suspects arrested trying to run over cops in Holland Tunnel were carrying heroin, fleeing robbery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Well that sure answers 1 question: what it takes to get a traffic ticket from the PA. In my observation illegal turns and gridlock don't do it, but it seems crossing 5 lanes between the tolls and the entrance do. I'm not surprised that these morons thought the PA wouldn't notice or care.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 16:25

Suspects arrested trying to run over cops in Holland Tunnel were carrying heroin, fleeing robbery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Suspects arrested trying to run over cops in Holland Tunnel were carrying heroin, fleeing robbery

BY Alison Gendar and Bob Kappstatter
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Sunday, May 1st 2011, 4:00 AM

A law enforcement source said several bags of heroin were found in the Jeep and strewn nearby in the tunnel.

The two suspects arrested after trying to run over a cop in the Holland Tunnel were carrying heroin and fleeing a drugstore robbery, officials revealed Saturday.

The duo robbed a Jersey City pharmacy just before 6 p.m. Friday and tried to escape by racing toward Manhattan, officials said.

When they recklessly crossed five lanes of traffic in the approach to the tunnel, a Port Authority cop flagged them down.

The Jeep's driver - Jahaad Sanders, 19, of Brooklyn - then panicked and floored the gas pedal, causing cops to open fire on the vehicle. Sanders was hit in the left forearm and crashed the Jeep. He and his passenger, Lorenzo Dease, 24, of Brooklyn, tried to escape on foot but were chased down by police.

A law enforcement source said several bags of heroin were found in the Jeep and strewn nearby in the tunnel.

Sanders was still in Bellevue Hospital Saturday. Both men have lengthy prior arrest records and were arraigned on charges of weapons possession, grand larceny and burglary, officials said. One cop suffered minor injuries.

"He's always had problems," said Sander's foster mother, Elenora Sanders.

"He just came home from Rikers last year for holding up a drugstore in Manhattan."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_cr ... were_carrying_heroin.html

Posted on: 2011/5/1 13:21

Police involved shooting inside Holland Tunnel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Law enforcement sources say they believe the men in the Jeep had just robbed a pharmacy.

---------------------------------------
Police involved shooting inside Holland Tunnel

Updated at 09:54 PM today

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A police involved shooting inside the Holland Tunnel shutdown the inbound lanes for hours.

Investigators said it started around 6:10 p.m. Friday when a Jeep that had passed through the toll booth on the Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel.

Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said two Port Authority police officers saw 19-year-old Jahaad Sanders of Brooklyn commit a motor vehicle violation.

"An encounter ensued between the car and the police officers. We believe four shots were fired at the entrance to the tunnel. A chase ensued into the tunnel," Police Superintendent Mike Fedorko said.

Witnesses say he then tried to use the vehicle as a weapon while driving inside the tunnel.

"The police officers came around and they were screaming stop! And then he took off with the police officer holding on, and after he got in front, he broke the wind of the police officer. He fired two shots into the car," Kevin Dempsey said.

At some point in the tunnel, officers fired again, hitting Sanders in the arm.

Police say Sanders got out of the Jeep and began running.

He was arrested after he jumped into the back seat of another vehicle, police said.

Sanders and his lone passenger, 24-year-old Lorenzo Dease of Brooklyn, were both taken to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan for treatment.

Coleman said two Port Authority police officers sustained minor injuries in the incident and were treated at Jersey City Medical Center and later released

Both inbound lanes of the Holland Tunnel remained closed until the early morning hours on Saturday as police investigated.

Law enforcement sources say they believe the men in the Jeep had just robbed a pharmacy.

Investigators said neither suspect was armed. It is unclear what led to this confrontation.

Sanders and Dease were both charged with criminal attempt, aggravated assault, carjacking, eluding, obstruction of governmental administration and resisting arrest. They also face charges of illegal possession of a weapon - the car - and possessing it for an unlawful purpose.

Bail was set Saturday at $350,000 cash for Sanders, while Dease's was set at $250,000 Both remained in custody, and it was not known if either had retained a lawyer.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... local/new_york&id=8103612

Posted on: 2011/5/1 2:02

Re: Holland Tunnel shootout snarls traffic for miles; police chase creates traffic nightmare for miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You just did a heap of speculating. In that 2004 incident where was the coordination between the Manhattan and Brooklyn precincts? From the look of that photo it seems they are well into the incident and yet people are streaming over the walkway. The redundancy at the tunnel entrances is non-existant. They are an easy target for terrorists.

Yes I did and no argument there. Though to speculate some more, 5 officers and a supervisor on scene can hardly count as "well into the incident.". Do you know what the scene was like a few minutes later? Were the tourists all held back and diverted?

By the way, he are the facts to support my speculation from a NY Times article Gunman Kills Himself After Standoff on Brooklyn Bridge, supporting my Brooklyn officers arrived first (84th Precinct two blocks away), Manhattan officers arrive later (1 PP a whole bridge away but they can't drive across the walkway, 5th precinct from Canal and Elizabeth) and tourists with no situational awareness:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Before the confrontation, the man might have fired at least one shot into the air from his 9-millimeter pistol shortly after 10 a.m. Two shell casings were found on the Brooklyn half of the bridge, although no witnesses reported seeing him fire the gun, the police said.

The shooting occurred during one of the bridge's pedestrian lulls, between the morning's march of commuters and the afternoon's strolling tourists.

The 911 call reporting a man with a gun came from Brooklyn, and officers in a police helicopter confirmed the report. Officers from the 84th Precinct, which patrols the bridge, swarmed around the man, alternately ordering bystanders to stand back and for him to drop his gun, witnesses said. Their guns were drawn, and they continued to shout ''Get down!'' and ''Drop the gun!''

Another tourist, Larry Fry of Youngstown, Ohio, was just beginning his trek to the Brooklyn side around that time. ''I thought they were yelling at me,'' he said. Then he noticed the man, his back to the fence that separates pedestrians from Brooklyn-bound vehicle traffic.

''He sat down when they ordered him down, like Indian style,'' Mr. Fry said. ''Once he sat down, he pulled the gun.''

The man never pointed the gun at the officers. Indeed, the barrel was always pointed at his own chest, which is why the officers did not use deadly force, the police said.

He was taken to New York University Downtown Hospital, where he died later yesterday.

Officers from the Fifth Precinct in Manhattan and from nearby 1 Police Plaza swarmed onto the bridge, closing all traffic for the better part of an hour.

One lieutenant leaving the scene expressed amazement that none of the officers had fired.

''Those cops showed unbelievable restraint,'' he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think making an outrageous statement that LE are ill prepared from photo is purely argumentative and based on opinion and not fact. We can go back and forth on that photo. I just think it was a poor choice to base your argument on.

What sort of redundancy do you want? I'm of the mind that everything is an easy target and once the final stages are rolling, if someone is determined, nothing short of outstanding measure will stop them.

No city, state, government or country has a terrorist proof plan.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 1:12
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Re: Holland Tunnel shootout snarls traffic for miles; police chase creates traffic nightmare for miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
You just did a heap of speculating. In that 2004 incident where was the coordination between the Manhattan and Brooklyn precincts? From the look of that photo it seems they are well into the incident and yet people are streaming over the walkway. The redundancy at the tunnel entrances is non-existant. They are an easy target for terrorists.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
This image from a 2004 stand-off then suicide on the Brooklyn Bridge showed me how ill-prepared law enforcement really is after 9-11-01. Notice all the pedestrians and tourists carelessly walking toward the scene? Where is the "stepped up" coordination between Police and other agencies? Where was is it last night? What if that jeep was a car-bomb? We have a long way to go.

With regard to the Brooklyn Bridge incident Vig, were you there when it happened and when this photo was taken? The call probably came in as some sort of EDP, injured person, man making terroristic threats on the Brooklyn side of the bridge. Therefore the police on the Brooklyn side probably got their first. The police probably did not get there from the Manhattan side yet. What do you think happened to the throngs of people that were already on the bridge as the incident unfolded? Of course they would be right there. Yes there are some people carelessly walking and biking toward sthe incident. Why? Because most people lack situational awareness. I don't understand what stepped up coordination among agencies you want from this event in 2004 as it all happened within the jurisdiction of NYPD.

With regard to the Holand Tunnel, again, what do you mean by stepped up coordination among agencies? This event happened completely within the PAPD jurisdiction and handled by the PAPD. What coordination did they need to have with other agencies regarding this incident? Be on the lookout for a car full of criminals?

It is so easy being an armchair quarterback and being so hypercritical when you don't have all the information and you weren't there.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Why do you suppose he was taken to Bellevue rather than JCMC, a full trauma center that is obviously closer than taking him through the tunnel to Manhattan? Does JCMC not have a secure ward?

Who was supposing? The poster was quoting a newspaper article. I assume that since the car was abandoned in the tunnel and there were a few police cars in the tunnel associated with the incident, there were a bunch of cars stuck between the incident and the tolls and no cars between the incident and the NY side. Therefore, to expedite getting the injured some treatment, it would have been easier to transport to Bellevue rather than JCMC.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
This is an example of how much of our "security" is theater. If they're serious, where is the barrier that can be raised like they have at most federal buildings? One button push and no one's fleeing into the tunnel. Sure it might cost a some money, but nothing compared to what that PAPD detail costs. We'd still need their eyes, but at least it would give them a decent tool.

Of course security is mostly theater. Most of security is to deter 99% of criminals and idiots from committing crime. You want a pop up barricade at the tunnel? Let's say there is on installed. Let's say a car blows thru going to the tunnel and the barricade is activated. I would bet the cars operated by people lacking situational awareness in front of this hypothetical speeding vehicle would slam into the barricade first. Did it stop the speeding car? Yes. Why was he speeding in my hypothetical case? Let's say he was involved in a hit and run at the tolls. I can see the drivers that slammed into the barricade suing the PAPD for damage to their vehicles among other things because we just happen to live in an overly litigious society and it had nothing to do with a terroristic threat or activity. I can see people saying that the PAPD jumped the gun and overreacted by activating the barricade.

Most federal building either have the barricades up already, or have checkpoints and federal law enforcement actively patrolling the perimeter and access points.

I could be wrong, but I think many of you would feel your civil rights were threatened if the city, state, federal authorities would impose the martial law type measures necessary to effect the type of security you are talking about.

Quote:
PBW wrote
"The Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office is handling all of the charges."

Thought this would be a federal crime.

I agree, this shows how ill prepared we are. But, on the other hand, if someone speeds past the toll taker and other cars what is suppose to be done?

Why would this be a federal crime?

But I fully agree with your second statement. Could the PAPD have set up a traffic slow down and just pulled over the car on the NY side of the tunnel? Maybe. Would it still have led to a shooting? Maybe. Am I going to question the methodology and actions taken by the PAPD in this instance. No. I wasn't there and I don't walk in their shoes and I can never understand what goes thru their minds during an incident. There's no point in armchair quarterbacking or speculation, especially in this forum.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 23:54
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Re: Two Brooklyn men are charged in Holland Tunnel police shooting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:

I agree, this shows how ill prepared we are. But, on the other hand, if someone speeds past the toll taker and other cars what is suppose to be done?

This is an example of how much of our "security" is theater. If they're serious, where is the barrier that can be raised like they have at most federal buildings? One button push and no one's fleeing into the tunnel. Sure it might cost a some money, but nothing compared to what that PAPD detail costs. We'd still need their eyes, but at least it would give them a decent tool.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 22:22

Re: Two Brooklyn men are charged in Holland Tunnel police shooting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/30 19:33

Two Brooklyn men are charged in Holland Tunnel police shooting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Two Brooklyn men are charged in Holland Tunnel police shooting

Published: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 2:48 PM Updated: Saturday, April 30, 2011, 2:48 PM
Bob Considine/The Star-Ledger By Bob Considine/The Star-Ledger

JERSEY CITY ? Multiple charges have been filed against two Brooklyn men alleged to have evaded Port Authority police outside the Holland Tunnel on Friday night, resulting in shots being fired in a chaotic scene and major traffic delays for hours.

At around 6:10 p.m. Friday, two police officers attempted to stop a Jeep Cherokee after an illegal lane change beyond the toll, according to Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman. At one point, Coleman said, one officer ?felt threatened? as the driver attempted to use his car as a weapon and that?s when four shots were fired, with one bullet striking the driver in the forearm.

The vehicle dragged one officer about 15 feet before fleeing into the tunnel. Once in the tunnel, the driver and passenger abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot, attempting to enter other cars in the tunnel. Coleman said both men were apprehended somewhere close to the New Jersey/New York border inside the tunnel.

The driver, Jahaad Sanders, 19, and passenger, Lorenzo Dease, 24, both of Brooklyn, are each charged with criminal attempt, aggravated assault, carjacking, eluding police, resisting arrest and obstruction of governmental administration. Two additional charges of unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes refer to the vehicle as the weapon.

Sanders is being held on $350,000 bail while at Bellevue Hospital Center in Manhattan, recovering from the gunshot wound, which is not life-threatening. Dease is being held on $250,000 bail at the Metropolitan Correctional Facility in Manhattan, awaiting extradition to New Jersey. The Hudson County Prosecutor?s Office is handling all of the charges.

Both Sanders and Dease have prior criminal records.

The Port Authority is not releasing the names of the officers, Coleman said. Both were taken to Jersey City Medical Center where they were treated and released.

The rush-hour incident forced the closure of the Holland Tunnel for several hours, causing a traffic backup that led to lane closings and detours on major highways in the Hudson County area. The tunnel re-opened around midnight.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011 ... yn_men_are_charged_i.html

Posted on: 2011/4/30 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Why do you suppose he was taken to Bellevue rather than JCMC, a full trauma center that is obviously closer than taking him through the tunnel to Manhattan? Does JCMC not have a secure ward?

From what I understand the chase continued into the tunnel toward the NY side. Plus it was only a wound to the forearm.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/4/30 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This image from a 2004 stand-off then suicide on the Brooklyn Bridge showed me how ill-prepared law enforcement really is after 9-11-01. Notice all the pedestrians and tourists carelessly walking toward the scene? Where is the "stepped up" coordination between Police and other agencies? Where was is it last night? What if that jeep was a car-bomb? We have a long way to go.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/4/30 17:31

Holland Tunnel shootout snarls traffic for miles; police chase creates traffic nightmare for miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Holland Tunnel shootout snarls traffic for miles; police chase creates traffic nightmare for miles

BY Alison Gendar and Joe Kemp
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 5:15 AM

A deranged driver was shot by police in the Holland Tunnel Friday after he tried to plow through traffic and run over cops with his car, law-enforcement sources said.

The enraged motorist, who was not identified, was asked by Port Authority cops to pull over for a minor traffic violation near the mouth of the tunnel in Jersey City about 6:10 p.m., the sources said.

He refused and rammed his white Jeep Cherokee into the car in front of him in an attempt to push his way through traffic, sources said. The maneuver failed, so he shifted into reverse and barreled toward a Port Authority cop, who squeezed off one or two shots at the SUV, sources said.

The officer then latched onto the vehicle when the driver tried to speed off again and was dragged several feet, sources said.

At the same time, two other Port Authority officers were racing to the scene against traffic from the New York side of the tunnel, sources said. But when they approached, the madman steered the vehicle toward them and tried to pin them against a bus, sources said.

One of the officers fired at least once, officials said. The driver was hit in his right forearm, but it was not clear which officer fired the shot, officials said.

He was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. Two other men who were in the SUV were taken into custody.

The tunnel was shut down to motorists for several hours that snarled traffic for miles.

"I'm really proud that it only took me an hour and a half [to get to midtown]," said Virginia Bishop. "I was zig-zagging through the streets of Hoboken."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_cr ... h_hour_commuting_nig.html

Posted on: 2011/4/30 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
car chase involving police started on NJ side. Police shot one of the suspects in the tunnel heading east at which point everything got shut down.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
So this explains all the bumper to bumper traffic between Chelsea up to Herald Square... cars are all going to Lincoln Tunnel alternative route. GRRRRRR!

There's more to this than a Jeep refusal to pay the $8 toll. what idiot would risk getting shot and try to escape in that tight narrow tunnel during rush hour and on a friday??????

A failed terrorist attack attempt? Lately, there's been alot of police activity on Exchange Place/Path during that hour and no, i'm not talking about the recent roof collapse either.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 8:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
How long do they need to have a news helicopter video the non moving cars?

Posted on: 2011/4/30 1:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/6 17:58
Group:
Registered Users
I guess this explains all the a-holes honking their horns on Erie Street tonight.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 1:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/4/30 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Inbound Holland Tunnel closed by shooting
Updated at 07:17 PM today
Eyewitness News

NEW YORK (WABC) -- The inbound Holland Tunnel is closed due to a shooting on the Manhattan side.

====================================

Shooting Outside Holland Tunnel Halts Traffic

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) ? A shooting on the New Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel has shut down the tunnel heading into and out of New York City.

/
Did the bullet travel through the tunnel and hit someone on both the Jersey and Manhattan side? I?m so confusued.

Posted on: 2011/4/30 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Updated at 07:17 PM today
Eyewitness News

NEW YORK (WABC) -- The inbound Holland Tunnel is closed due to a shooting on the Manhattan side.

There is a lot of police activity focused around Canal and Varick Streets.

At least one person was shot .

A man in his twenties shot to in the chest, officials said. He is on the way to Bellevue Hospital in unknown condition.

More details as they become available.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... local/new_york&id=8103612

====================================

Shooting Outside Holland Tunnel Halts Traffic

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) ? A shooting on the New Jersey side of the Holland Tunnel has shut down the tunnel heading into and out of New York City.

The incident may involve a driver who refused to pay the toll. The tunnel may not reopen until around 7:45 p.m.

Full details of the shooting are still unclear, please stay with CBSNewYork.com for the latest on this still developing story.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/04/2 ... el-halts-inbound-traffic/

Posted on: 2011/4/29 23:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017