Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Police pose as pedestrians to nab errant drivers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

goofy-jc wrote:
I have a lot of respect for cops so please don't get me wrong here.

What I meant to say was that cops and local groups should start a similar drive to raise awareness and improve safety of pedestrians

I was just joshing with you, goofy-jc. Hence the smiley. I think your idea is a good one.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:

i confess as being guilty of being ignorant of yield to peds in crosswalks law before, but once i found out that it was indeed the law (about 6 months ago), i regularly stop for all peds in crosswalks. i wouldnt be surprised if most people who dont stop also are unaware of the law.. although now in hoboken they have "yield to peds state law" signs scattered around.

Can someone name a state where its NOT the law to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk?

I started searching state by state assuming there must be a whole lot of states where there aren't crosswalks. But even in Alaska, its state law to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.

Posted on: 2008/7/18 16:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/9 18:52
Group:
Registered Users
I have a lot of respect for cops so please don't get me wrong here.

What I meant to say was that cops and local groups should start a similar drive to raise awareness and improve safety of pedestrians

Posted on: 2008/7/18 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

i confess as being guilty of being ignorant of yield to peds in crosswalks law before, but once i found out that it was indeed the law (about 6 months ago), i regularly stop for all peds in crosswalks. i wouldnt be surprised if most people who dont stop also are unaware of the law.. although now in hoboken they have "yield to peds state law" signs scattered around.

I'm not surprised.

New Jersey has the dumbest drivers.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/05/26/dumb_driver_states/index.html

Posted on: 2008/7/17 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:

the problem with letting pedestrians pass in front of you when you have the green is that undoubtedly other peds see this as an OK to cross right behind them, and before you know it there are 20 people crossing and now you've missed the light . I see this happen all the time when i drive in Hoboken (which is daily). what i hate most is when the light has obviously been green for at least a few seconds and the peds still feel the need to cross while talking on the cell/playing with ipod, etc. in cases like these i almost never let them finish crossing or at least honk to make them aware that they're crossing against the light (but i agree if theyre already in the crosswalk then theres no point in honking).

ohh, i think i might have worded it wrong. if someone is *still* crossing as the light changes, i will gladly let them make it safely across, but i hate the fact that the second the light changes, someone is already honking a horn behind me. that's rude. i drive a manual and sometimes my first gear is a little hard to get into (clutch might be on the way out) so i just see something like that as people being in a constant rush to hit another stop sign or red light a few blocks down the way.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
goofy-jc wrote:
I think JC police should do something similar.

These officers do a job that places them in physical danger daily. Now you want them to step into a JC crosswalk out of uniform? That's just wanton disregard for their personal safety.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

croft wrote:
gotta love the people that honk from behind at me for letting a pedestrian cross in a crosswalk while i have the stop sign. i also love the people who honk as soon as the light turns green, also while someone is walking in the crosswalk. is it so bad to be a courteous driver?

when i ride the bike to njcu from the heights, i deal with the worst of the worst drivers trying to run me off the road. a lot of those types have no respect for pedestrians and others sharing the road. as not only a driver but a pedestrian/bicyclist at times, it makes me only more courteous and extra cautious. i think some drivers forget where they came from.

i hope they will pull people over for running stop signs and trying to "beat the pedestrian" through the crosswalk.

the problem with letting pedestrians pass in front of you when you have the green is that undoubtedly other peds see this as an OK to cross right behind them, and before you know it there are 20 people crossing and now you've missed the light . I see this happen all the time when i drive in Hoboken (which is daily). what i hate most is when the light has obviously been green for at least a few seconds and the peds still feel the need to cross while talking on the cell/playing with ipod, etc. in cases like these i almost never let them finish crossing or at least honk to make them aware that they're crossing against the light (but i agree if theyre already in the crosswalk then theres no point in honking).

as far as bike riders i try to stay away from them since i know how dangerous it can be to drive too close.. usually ill try to pass if theres sufficient space on the other side.

the worst part as a driver is when you're at a stop sign and you're trying to look left to see if it's safe, but theres a car parked at the corner and you cant see far enough to have a clear view. once you finally make sure it's clear, you go to cross the intersection, only to have a pedestrian walk right in front of your car . yes they have the right of way, but when im in that situation as a ped, i ALWAYS walk behind the car a) as a courtesy to the driver at the intersection and b) because he may not see me and run me over. i wish more peds would use this common sense more often (but again, daily trips to hoboken prove otherwise).

Posted on: 2008/7/17 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
First things first. How about getting the police to yield to pedestrians.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Some bastard yelled, " Hey, speed it up" at my mother as she was crossing Montgomery St. She was in the crosswalk and he was in a hurry to turn on the red light.

Unbelievable... there is a very special place in hell for that bastard.

This is the same bastard who would take off after a fender bender or striking a pedestrian.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
JC is cheap, lets get these to slow down motorists !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/7/17 6:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
he was in a hurry to turn on the red light.

before it turned green, presumably.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Why not install more CCTV to catch the culprits and issue them tickets.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Some bastard yelled, " Hey, speed it up" at my mother as she was crossing Montgomery St. She was in the crosswalk and he was in a hurry to turn on the red light.

My mother is 82 years old.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to see them on my block...then maybe they can catch the unsermountable cars that pass by with the loud music and ticket them up the KAZOO as well as for the speeding. This goes on alot more in the evenings/late nights.

Posted on: 2008/7/17 1:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
A critical measure, esp. with the burgeoning baby/toddler/children population in Jersey City!!

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
gotta love the people that honk from behind at me for letting a pedestrian cross in a crosswalk while i have the stop sign. i also love the people who honk as soon as the light turns green, also while someone is walking in the crosswalk. is it so bad to be a courteous driver?

when i ride the bike to njcu from the heights, i deal with the worst of the worst drivers trying to run me off the road. a lot of those types have no respect for pedestrians and others sharing the road. as not only a driver but a pedestrian/bicyclist at times, it makes me only more courteous and extra cautious. i think some drivers forget where they came from.

i hope they will pull people over for running stop signs and trying to "beat the pedestrian" through the crosswalk.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
It will probably take someone actually getting run over and suing the city before anything like this would ever be implemented.

If you look to the side of the children's playground area of VVP there is a memorial with two children's names on it. I believe that they were both hit by cars at the park.
Both before my time in the neighborhood, but that's what I was told.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
South Orange, New Jersey did the same thing last week:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Employ A Little 'Crosswalk Justice'

Undercover Sting Reveals 70 Percent Of Essex County Drivers Refused To Stop For Pedestrian Crossing Street

Shocked Drivers Cry Entrapment After Getting $100 Tickets

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. (CBS) ― Dozens of New Jersey drivers who thought they did nothing wrong got slapped with pricey tickets on Thursday. Their crime? They failed to yield to a pedestrian who was actually an undercover cop.

http://wcbstv.com/local/crosswalk.south.orange.2.768579.html

==========================================
This is cute:
--------------

Boy, 11, tracks speeders with toy radar gun

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080716/a ... fe_st/odd_radar_tracker_2

Posted on: 2008/7/16 20:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
another solution would be have local groups with assistance from the police dept perform similar checks on random days to raise awareness on this issue.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 20:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is a pretty cool idea!

I'm "almost-run-over" pretty regularly in this neighborhood. Much more so than in the city. Just last week I was crossing Montgomery St. at Barrow St. (with the walk sign) and was nearly hit by a Dominos delivery car making a left from Barrow onto Montgomery.

It will probably take someone actually getting run over and suing the city before anything like this would ever be implemented.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 20:40
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
excellent. they should do this. Once I was crossing a street near Hamilton Park and a driver almost ran me over at crossing despite a Stop sign. It turns out that there was a cop behind the driver's rude azz....that stupid driver was pulled over and I presume given a ticket.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 20:36

Police pose as pedestrians to nab errant drivers

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think JC police should do something similar. Its crazy trying to cross streets especially between the morning and evening rush hours when drivers are speeding across to get to Exchange Place

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080716/a ... =A0WTcUITWn5IYlIBmhas0NUE

Posted on: 2008/7/16 20:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017