Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
38 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 42-story residential tower on tap for Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
You know, if this helps revitalize Journal Square and the city gets a new park out of it, I'm all for it, but I'm going to restate what was apparently stated at last night's council meeting (I wasn't there so it's only hearsay) - how will the PATH trains handle all these additional riders? The JSQ-33rd street train (before the hurricanes) already pretty much fills up at Journal Square where it starts and then it's standing room only the rest of the way. Standing on the train all the way to work is one thing but having to fight your way on every day and being a little too close for comfort to other riders (as we're enduring right now with the reduced service from the hurricane) is quite another. Even if the developer or city were willing to do anything about it, I don't see what they could do - it doesn't seem physically possible to increase the capacity of the PATH system (I'm not an engineer though).

Also, the council members and city talk about this increasing the city's tax base, but I'm certain this developer has or will bully the city into some kind of abatement, like so many other high-end developers have done.

I can only hope that by the time this project is done, I am either moved out of Jersey City OR have become wealthy enough to afford the ferry every day (which, since it comes at 1/2 hour intervals, would be less convenient anyway).

1. New signal system will increase train frequency.
2. Platform extensions on the WTC-NWK Line will allow for 10 car trains.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 16:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
You know, if this helps revitalize Journal Square and the city gets a new park out of it, I'm all for it, but I'm going to restate what was apparently stated at last night's council meeting (I wasn't there so it's only hearsay) - how will the PATH trains handle all these additional riders? The JSQ-33rd street train (before the hurricanes) already pretty much fills up at Journal Square where it starts and then it's standing room only the rest of the way. Standing on the train all the way to work is one thing but having to fight your way on every day and being a little too close for comfort to other riders (as we're enduring right now with the reduced service from the hurricane) is quite another. Even if the developer or city were willing to do anything about it, I don't see what they could do - it doesn't seem physically possible to increase the capacity of the PATH system (I'm not an engineer though).

Also, the council members and city talk about this increasing the city's tax base, but I'm certain this developer has or will bully the city into some kind of abatement, like so many other high-end developers have done.

I can only hope that by the time this project is done, I am either moved out of Jersey City OR have become wealthy enough to afford the ferry every day (which, since it comes at 1/2 hour intervals, would be less convenient anyway).

Posted on: 2012/11/29 13:29
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Plans for the future of this area are of little concern to people like me that have to look at the shockingly deteriorated PATH plaza area every day. Shame on every elected official that has any decision making authority for this part of town. Presumably taxes are paid here, so where is the revenue going? Certainly it isn't going into any sort of maintenance here. How is it possible the city could ignore this place for as long as they have? Couldn't they just spend a little money on trash removal? Couldn't a bit of attention be spared for the appearance of what is here right now, and not spending all their time imagining how it COULD look ten years from now? I understand there WERE plans for construction to have taken place and this construction was placed on hold. But YEARS have past since then and NOTHING has happened in this area this whole time. where is the plan for what is here RIGHT NOW?

Aren't unions great?

Wonder Bread or Twinkies anyone...?

Posted on: 2012/11/29 12:52
Resized Image
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Plans for the future of this area are of little concern to people like me that have to look at the shockingly deteriorated PATH plaza area every day. Shame on every elected official that has any decision making authority for this part of town. Presumably taxes are paid here, so where is the revenue going? Certainly it isn't going into any sort of maintenance here. How is it possible the city could ignore this place for as long as they have? Couldn't they just spend a little money on trash removal? Couldn't a bit of attention be spared for the appearance of what is here right now, and not spending all their time imagining how it COULD look ten years from now? I understand there WERE plans for construction to have taken place and this construction was placed on hold. But YEARS have past since then and NOTHING has happened in this area this whole time. where is the plan for what is here RIGHT NOW?

Posted on: 2012/11/29 10:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see why the Hilltop Association is so concerned. Anything of this scale is AT LEAST 5-10 years away from breaking ground in JSQ. Have they even broken ground on any of those new towers downtown that were supposed to break ground this year? I don't think so (Marbella II, that massive Harborside tower, 110 First, the Toll Brothers tower)

Posted on: 2012/11/29 0:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/11/29 0:12
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Let's get on with it. Has anyone seen the picture of the house in China that is completely surrounded by highway because the owners did not want to sell. LOL!

Posted on: 2012/11/28 22:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Changes permitting 42-story tower in Journal Square approved by Jersey City City Council

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on November 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Amendments to a Jersey City redevelopment plan that will permit a controversial 42-story tower in a Journal Square neighborhood were approved by the City Council tonight over the objections of a neighborhood group.

The amendments are the result of a legal settlement between the city and the owner of a property that runs along Summit Avenue across the street from the Journal Square PATH station.

City officials praised the deal, saying the property is the logical spot for a high-density residential tower. Officials also noted that the city will receive a nearly one-acre lot from the property's owner that the city plans to use as a public park.

“Journal Square is the heart of the city,” said Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, who voted in favor of the amendments. “I think we need to bring Journal Square back and I think projects like this are what’s going to bring it back.”

Lopez was joined by council members Peter Brennan, Bill Gaughan, Viola Richardson and Michael Sottolano in favor of the changes to the Journal Square Redevelopment Plan.

David Donnelly, Steve Fulop and Rolando Lavarro voted against, while new council member Diane Coleman abstained.

Rich Boggiano, representing Journal Square community group the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, voiced his objections, saying the group’s members are opposed to having a 440-foot tower in their neighborhood.

“It’s going to put them in a shadow,” he said.

Boggiano used an expletive to describe the council’s action, and blamed “politics” on the city’s decision to settle with Robinhood Plaza, the property’s owner, rather than fight Robinhood in court.

“We’ve got lawyers who are afraid to go to court,” he said.

Robinhood Plaza sued the city after the 2010 Journal Square Redevelopment Plan was adopted, claiming the plan left the owner with "no development potential" for its Summit Avenue property.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rmitting_42-story_to.html

Posted on: 2012/11/28 21:49
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
If the tower is inside the 2060 Plan, there's supposed to be air rights involved. This means the developer has to pay surrounding property owners for each foot of airspace he uses to build higher than originally allowed. Isn't anyone negotiating this? The developer doesn't have to pay income taxes on his profits due to a tax break for developing near public transportation which means he has some pretty deep pockets to pick.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 23:15
Print Top

Re: Signs of life at JScare? 42-story residential tower on tap for Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garfield0926 wrote:
They're struggling to put 2 towers and now they're talking about tower 3. Bunch of jerk offs.

Different project, different lot.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 10:00
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
They're struggling to put 2 towers and now they're talking about tower 3. Bunch of jerk offs.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 9:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Plan would put 3 towers next to Jersey City's Journal Square PATH

August 16, 2012, 2:20 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Journal Square could soon be home to Jersey City’s largest buildings, with the developers behind some Downtown developments hoping to break ground next year on three residential/office towers that could reach up to 75 stories and contain as many as 1,800 units.

Though members of the surrounding neighborhood are reportedly nervous about the size of the towers, developers KRE Group say they will be a dream for commuters because of a planned, direct connection to the PATH station.

“You wouldn’t even have to be exposed to the elements,” said KRE’s Jeff Persky last week in the group’s Marin Boulevard office, where there’s a model of the three towers.

The towers will be located just north of the public drop-off for the PATH station in the area of Magnolia and Summit avenues. The drop-off area will remain, and KRE is working with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to renovate that end of Magnolia to become a pedestrian plaza.

KRE will also renovate access to the PATH station on that side, replacing the current steps and ramps.

Persky said the group hopes to put a shovel in the ground by the end of 2013 on the first tower, which would contain 500 residential units along with retail on the ground floor. All three towers would likely house about 1,800 units total, he said.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said the city is “looking forward” to the groundbreaking, noting that a project of this density makes sense for Journal Square, where PATH ridership is fourth-highest in the area.

“It will create much-needed construction and permanent jobs, as well as ratables, in an area that is poised for a renaissance,” Morrill said.

The project is just one of at least three possibly transformative developments planned for Journal Square. Washington, D.C.-based Multi-Employer Property Trust plans two towers for the lot just south of the PATH station a long-delayed project that city officials fear may never happen while developer Robinhood Plaza wants to construct a residential tower as high as 42 stories on a lot across Summit Avenue from the planned KRE towers.

A city official called that project “a pipe dream,” adding that the KRE plan is the city’s “best shot at jump-starting the Square.”

Local activist Althea Bernheim said the KRE plan is causing some “nervousness” in the neighborhood, but added that similar towers in Downtown have “created better neighborhoods.”

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _put_3_towers_next_t.html

Posted on: 2012/8/16 18:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
PS - There will be plenty of open park like space if the rail road cut is indeed ever covered over as the 2060 plan says. (ok it’s a long shot I know) Check out the Pedestrian Plaza in green bars on the last page of the below .pdf it runs above the rail road tracks from Tonnele Ave to hmmm …Baldwin Ave right next to the “new public park”.

The Journal Square 2060 Plan .pdf is on this Jersey City Division of City Planning page…

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=1170

under ….

Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan

(the .pdf url was too long to post directly)

Posted on: 2012/8/6 16:15
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Although I was excited to hear the news of SOMETHING happening up JScare after thinking about it and seeing some of the posts on this thread..I agree with DanL the city should stick to the original Journal Square 2060 plan it makes sense. (not much does in this city when it comes to development..or other things) It left the taller (high-rise, high-density) buildings for the CORE of Journal Square the BIG ugly empty lot area next to Path. BTW forget about this 42 story project when are you going to go after the owners of the BIG ugly empty lot???????

Also if passed the city is opening itself up to 100’s of lawsuits for the “right to build higher”. You let him do it so you have got to let me do it. FYI - when I am ready to build on my lot you can expect a lawsuit from me. Hey I will even throw in a sloping plot of land next to a rail road that can be turned into a park with someone else’s money. Hey it will make my property more valuable and help me sell more units.

The below invitation is on the front page of the JC web site. (btw great you have this on the front page of the web site but NOTHING about when our 3rd quarter taxes will be mailed out or due) . I especially don’t like the last line of Healy’s “invitation” what a bummer. Add a stipulation that if it is passed the CURRENT owner (long list of corporations with same mailing address) must build, not flip!

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/

Mark The Date! City To Speak At Hilltop Neighborhood Association On Robinhood Plaza Settlement on Monday, 8/6!

City Planning officials will be speaking at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, August 6th, at the Hilltop Neigh- borhood Association Meeting, St. Joseph’s Church basement, at Baldwin and Pavonia avenues.

Up for discussion will be the pro- posed legal settlement between Robinhood Plaza Inc. and the City, which includes an amendment to the Journal Square 2060 Redevelop- ment Plan permitting high-rise construction on Summit Avenue across from the Journal Square PATH station.

“I encourage everyone who can do so to attend Monday’s meeting,” said Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy. “The proposed settlement will have an impact not just on everyone who lives in the Hilltop section of the city, but on Jersey City itself. I thank the Hilltop Neighborhood Association for inviting us to speak about the proposed improvements.”

The proposed settlement also includes the private dedication of nearly an acre of land to the City for use as a new public park, a public plaza adjacent to the Historic Summit House, a public walkway,
as well as a reduction in the current building height adjacent to nearby homes. There is no proposed construction project for the site at this time.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 15:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of people say that and have been saying it for many decades.

KRE, the owner of the lot on the east side of the Square (bound by Pavonia, Summit and Magnolia avenues) will be submitting a site plan to the Planning Board in the next few months. They will be starting work with a shovel in the ground in fall 2013.

So development is starting, just not on the Harwood site where we were told development would start within a year... umm 3 or 4 years ago?

Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
I'm all for development in JSQ, lord knows this neighborhood needs a boost, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 7:25
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The red shaded area, up to 42 stories allowed, is up against one 2 story home. Actually there are two 2-story homes right there (9 & 11 West Street). Both of these homes are in a horrible state of disrepair and they are both owned by the same owner that this settlement is with, Avner Netter.

The hope is that he will take those two eyesores down.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 7:04
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for development in JSQ, lord knows this neighborhood needs a boost, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 20:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Didnt they say in the JJ article that they dont want to build a 42 story building directly adjacent to a house? Looking at this map makes it seem like thats exactly what theyre doing. Its going to look real odd.

"Wenger noted that the proposed zoning changes include graduated height requirements, with the tower being the tallest building in the neighborhood and surrounding buildings getting smaller and smaller.

"It's not going to be 42 stories right up against somebody's house," he said."

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/15520493 ... lement%20illustration.pdf

Posted on: 2012/7/30 7:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
They are actively pursuing a Trader Joes, but that might not come until phase 2 or 3 of the project which is many years away.

If you live in that area then you should mention what you want there so the developers can actively pursue those kinds of retail tenants.

Nothing beats Maloney's meat market downtown. It's clean and fresh even if a little bit on the expensive side.

For the fresh veggies you have to go to the entrance side of the PATH station. The Blue Ribbon bakery is great and little Indian and the Philippine bread house. There are a ton of treasures, just no clean and nice places to go for a drink.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 19:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
He said Trader Joe’s was thinking about opening a store in an up and coming part of JC. To my surprise he said Journal Square. Excellent news!!!

HAHA!

With any neighborhood, with new people arriving stores will arrive, people forget when I first got downtown the only store we had was c-town and the 24 hour deli on Grove back in the early 90's. The rest of the place looked similar to Ocean ave.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JCYC wrote: I'd like to know where all of these new residents are going to buy groceries. There isn't one deli in the vicinity that doesn't require a tetanus shot prior to entering.

There are still a few decent places to get food and supplies up JScare. No gourmet stuff but I only got food poisoning once and that over many, many years.

Hey breaking news I finally went to my first Trader Joe’s over the weekend the one in Staten Island. As soon as I walked in the door I knew it was special. Oh how different from a regular Shop & Shop or Pathmark. They have rows of aisles with product stacked on shelves and a diary section, a produce section and cashiers how unique. And the shoppers are sooo different too.

Well I was standing over by the lighthouse (mangers booth for you Pathmark’ers) and while looking over some special organic banana’s grown in good organic compost with a pinch of sand-peat mixture I heard one of the employees in a loud Hawaiian shirt mention something about Jersey City. I immediately asked ..what about JC?

He said Trader Joe’s was thinking about opening a store in an up and coming part of JC.

To my surprise he said Journal Square. Excellent news!!! Now I won’t have to pay the $12 toll on the Bayonne Bridge to get a bunch of … special organic banana’s grown in good organic compost with a pinch of sand-peat mixture.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:12
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know where all of these new residents are going to buy groceries. There isn't one deli in the vicinity that doesn't require a tetanus shot prior to entering.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 15:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
here is an illustration of the proposed Robinhood settlement:

Robinhood settlement illustration

Posted on: 2012/7/27 14:01
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Skunks (which eat up all the mice and rats in the area to our surprise), raccoons, squirrels, chipmunks, ground hogs, opossums, various birds, etc.... its a large divided up swath that runs through there.

My dogs get skunked 3-4 times a year. It's not much fun. It is hilarious though watching people so busy texting as they are walking home that they walk right past a skunk walking in the opposite direction. This is when it is getting dark.

Not so much fun when you go to chance the cat that has been crapping in your back yard but it is too dark to notice the stripe. Not so much fun to have your partner look at you the same way he looks at the dogs when they get skunked.

It's wilderness up here and I'm not just talking about the homeless people camping out in the cemetery or the corner liquor stores.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Althea wrote: As it stands now the slope is treacherous where it meets Baldwin. It is a build-able lot, but there would need to be infill. Under the current plan the owner could build six story residential buildings all along there (a Chinese Wall!) is he so desired. This would cast a very big shadow on the neighborhood and evict a tremendous amount of wildlife.

What kind of wildlife are we talking about? Pigeons? Cast a shadow over the neighborhood...isn't this the CITY. This isn't surburbia...

Posted on: 2012/7/26 16:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
You can check out what is owned here by either typing in Netter or Robinhood:

http://cityofjerseycity.com/WebTaxInquiry/AccountSearch.aspx

The owner (we don't know if they will flip the property or actually develop it) is giving up what is about 1/3 or a little more of his land to the City. He will not give any money toward creating the park although I bet if and when the property is developed that then will be the time they would want to invest in the Park in order to offer that as a selling point to potential renters/owners.

As it stands now the slope is treacherous where it meets Baldwin. It is a build-able lot, but there would need to be infill. Under the current plan the owner could build six story residential buildings all along there (a Chinese Wall!) is he so desired. This would cast a very big shadow on the neighborhood and evict a tremendous amount of wildlife.

Creating the park would take a lot of money, but it might be doable by the working with the various developers that will be building in the area, especially at the core, help from the Parks Coalition, and fund raising.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 11:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
SammytheT wrote: He owns "The green along the rail road" - he'll deed it to the City of Jersey City for parkland.

SO happy to see things moving in JS but here are a few more questions…

-Those strips of land along RR tracks are not easy to get away from the RR people. I know people who have tried with no success. I assume he did have success. What is the street address of the “green along the rail road”? I want to look up the taxes on it and when it was purchased from the RR.

-Is that 1 acre of “green along the rail road “ flat/level? Or is it just a sharp drop off from the property line down to the RR tracks? Like the rest of the track route through JS?

-If it is not on a slope I find it odd that the owner did not use it to expand his parking lot.

-If it is on a slope is he going to pay the million or so to have a huge retaining wall built to make the 1 acre park level? We don’t want any balls rolling down the slope onto the RR track now do we?

-I will do some investigating this weekend, unless someone on the PATH train can report on the condition of “the green along the rail road” on their way to or from work.

And let's not forget the ever popular JSq question....

IS ANYTHING BEING DONE WITH THE BIG UGLY LOT IN THE MIDDLE OF JSCARE? ANY PROGRESS? WASN’T IT GOING TO BE TAKEN AWAY FROM THE CURRENT OWNER?

Posted on: 2012/7/26 11:13
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
i'm all for the use of emminent domain for a park...and i don't mind 42 stories - heck i could care less if its 100 stories. of course, i could see why some people in the n'hood might be concerned.

Too bad JC doesn't have community boards like NYC. On 2nd thought, maybe it's better we don't.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 10:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I think we should all keep an open mind and attend the meetings before making blanket statements.

For one, the park could not be conceived of in the original plan unless eminent domain was used to seize private property. I don't think any of us want eminent domain invoked and we were pretty clear about that in all of the redevelopment plan meetings we attended leading up to the final approval of the plan.

I don't see this settlement as the City just giving a cranky developer what they want. Chances are good that if this is settled by a judge, let's face it we live in a country were private property rights are paramount, the community might get only 25 stories instead of 42 but we would get no open space.

We get the green space immediately while it is doubtful the rest will be developed within 5 years. In addition, we have open and green space that the developers starting to build in the rest of Journal Square can contribute towards creating. If we go to court then most likely those areas will see some housing that can be up to 6 stories height and block the view and light as well as take away all hope of green space.

There is potential here for the community (meaning a very wide area) to have something of great value. This needs to be carefully weighed and the community and nearest neighborhood should have time to acclimate to the idea through an informative community meeting.

Redevelopment plans change all the time. Lawsuits happen too unfortunately. But here we are and how we handle it will make all the difference.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 10:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
once again Jersey City caves and capitulates on yet another fully conceived redevelopment plan. like it or not, the city was pretty proud (along with many residents) when the original plan was adopted, now someone sues because they want more and the plan begins to be dismantled. yes, a park is nice, but as a needed amenity, it is or should have been addressed in the original planning documents. now what additional infrastructure and amenities are needed to support this additional up zoning.

its deja vu all over again .....

Posted on: 2012/7/26 8:06
Print Top

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact