Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Church to Condo Convert
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It will be quite noisy preventing those homeowners from enjoying their yards durnig the warmer months.

Newer condenser unit can be very quiet. The Mitsu mini split I have in one of my units is barely audible while running.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
The parking issues that the church to condo conversion may bring to Pavonia Ave may have a solution. The developer can potentially try to buy an easement from the townhouse association on 9th St, that's behind the church. He can then deed the spaces to several of the homeowners of the neighboring brownstones on Pavonia Ave. Should those homeowners and their tenants be able to park behind their homes, this could relieve some of the parking problems.

The other big issue with the church conversion is that this project will bring at least 9 additional central air conditioning units, which will sit in the allies between the church and the two buildings that sandwich the church. It will be quite noisy preventing those homeowners from enjoying their yards durnig the warmer months.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I also think that people who pay ridiculous tax rates should have access to residential street parking.

Period? No matter what the density of the community? What about hi rises? Many of them certainly pay more than you do, if in "liu of taxes" form.

Recognizing the tradeoffs we make to live in a dense urban community is key to not going crazy here. Many of us who feel that certain negatives aren't a required part of urban living get the "move to the burbs if you don't like it" line. But I feel that there's a difference between potentially solvable problems such as noisy bars and litter, and those intrinsic to the nature of the area, such as tight parking. It's sad when people would rather have empty lots on their block than infill that would bring more cars.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I love that there are conversions happening, including the Funeral Home on 4th and Jersey Ave. I pay for parking to assure I have a space and although my family could really use two vehicles, we have only one because we live in an urban setting and we are acutely aware of parking being an issue. If I didn't have a kid, I'd have no car.

I support this type of conversion. If the developer is honoring the historic components that's terrific. It's so incredibly unrealistic to think developments in our area should provide parking too - that's a luxury, not a necessity. We should be encouraging people to be driving LESS, not using our valuable space for parking.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Just for the hell of it, I calculate my tenant to car ratio (including tenants only of driving age.. no kids). It is exactly 50%. I have one property with off-street parking, so that might screw my results more into the 'tenants with cars' zone.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Having marked parking spots results in less efficient use of street parking space in my opinion.

This is because the marked sparking spots are far larger than necessary, the ones on Central Avenue could almost accomodate two cars per bay.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I agree that hashes would be ugly. It comes down to a matter of effort on people's part. More efficient parking would also help keep people from parking illegally on corners where they block sightlines.

What you're describing could be fixed with a sharp key or a few well placed nails.

Quote:

I also think that people who pay ridiculous tax rates should have access to residential street parking. I also believe that if developers are going to jam more and more people into buildings then they should provide parking within their structures.

What about the other property owners who don't own cars? Should they get a tax discount because they aren't getting a free parking space? Also, as to the tax rate, that's about to drop once the revaluation correctly assesses the total value of property in Jersey city.

And what you call jamming more people into buildings is actually the opposite; by making available more housing supply, a greater number of people can afford to live in larger spaces. Its very self serving as a property owner to argue in favor of limiting development since such limits artificially inflate the value of the property they already occupy.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Vigilante has a point. Where I live on Pavonia, I swear you could fit 2x as many cars on the street if folks didn't leave 4-5 feet in front/back of them. Adding parking hashes would help, but it would also make a residential neighborhood look like business district.

I agree that hashes would be ugly. It comes down to a matter of effort on people's part. More efficient parking would also help keep people from parking illegally on corners where they block sightlines. I also think that people who pay ridiculous tax rates should have access to residential street parking. I also believe that if developers are going to jam more and more people into buildings then they should provide parking within their structures.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante has a point. Where I live on Pavonia, I swear you could fit 2x as many cars on the street if folks didn't leave 4-5 feet in front/back of them. Adding parking hashes would help, but it would also make a residential neighborhood look like business district.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I say no dedicated parking spaces and if the residents want to get cars and park on the street, then they should park in one of the commercial garages.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
There is plenty of parking downtown. You just have to pay for it. Actually, you might say there is too much parking since not only are most of the garages only half used, but there are surface parking lots that are some of the least efficient uses of land downtown.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Ianmac47, You have a point about congestion/mass transit, as far as the long-term is concerned. For the present, though, I think it's a safe bet that every one of those 9 units is going to have at least one car. I also agree with you on curb cuts, when single or two-family homes are concerned. When you're talking about 9 units, however, one curb cut is going to be better for street parking availability than 10 or 12 extra cars.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I could give a hoot about the building having been a church. It was rundown while still being used as a church and generally looked like crap. The parking thing is the rub. I believe that if they were constructing 10 units they would be required to provide parking thus the 9 they have planned gives them a loophole. I think what we really need around here is a "the more the merrier" campaign as far as parking is concerned. It is routine for people to park their cars in the most selfish manner often leaving 3, 4 or 5 feet between vehicles. I constantly see people parking, after the sweeper has passed by, right smack in front of their homes. This is often done in a way that leaves a gap between cars that is totally unnecessary and wastes valuable space. I will often move my car around to tighten up space so as to allow my NEIGHBORS to park. The f**k you very much attitude by some residents is deplorable.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, so the era of requiring parking spaces with every housing unit needs to end. That only adds more cars and congestion to the streets in a city that doesn't need more cars. There is plenty of mass transit. Many households downtown do not have a car. Adding off street parking reduces on street parking by creating curb cuts.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the last line from the JJ article cited by Heights:

"Hammami also said that there is nowhere to put parking spaces on the grounds of the property."

I'm not sure that's totally accurate, unless you add "without incurring added construction costs and inconvenience for the developer." As someone who lives one block over from this building, I'm pretty skeptical about putting in another 9 condo units with zero added parking.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:41

Church to Condo Convert
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... to_present_plan_to_c.html
Developer to present plan to convert old church to condo complex before Jersey City's Historic Preservation Commission
Meeting Tonight ! 6:30pm City Hall

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact